5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

how do you remove the stock accelerator pedal???

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2001, 05:05 PM

i'm going to install the ae pedal and i just took a mirror to look at the back of the stock pedal. it looks like it's wedged in there pretty good. i can't get it to budge.
there's got to be a better way than brute force.
Old 06-22-2001, 05:30 PM

There is a clip on the top. Use a flash light, get down there about an inch away with a mirror, and you can see the backside.

If I remember, I used a flat blade screwdriver, wedged the blade between the pedal the black plastic "clip" near the top. I believe I moved the screwdriver from right to left (eg it was straight up and I moved it towards the brake pedal). See if that does the trick.
Old 06-22-2001, 06:20 PM

okay here's what happened. i called up dave burnette to order the pedals (really nice guy). in order to figure out what i needed, he asked the manufacture date - june 2000. he said that's a really late model, so i should be fine with just the pad, because reconnecting the accelerator cable was a pain in the neck.
so i ordered the pad. well, as it turns out, i do have that metal piece welded onto my accelerator. so now i've got the ae pad only, and a metal rectangle welded onto my accelerator arm.
i managed to get the stock pad off (thank you) and replaced the brake pedal pad (what a pain!!)
but without a way to attach the new pad, all i've got for an accelerator is an exposed arm. now i can't even put the stock one back on cuz the clip at the top snapped
Old 06-22-2001, 06:42 PM

Well, you done it now, boy. The clip is just a curved piece of plastic with the inside edges turned in. You could rig something to keep the top part of the pedal stationary. The pedal shouldn't move much since it is secured at the bottom.

I am not recommending you hack off that metal bracket, but if sounds like you have a couple of options: (1) purchase the entire arm and pedal (pre-attached) and hope you can install it (2) start hacking and figure a way to attach the top part of the pedal (3) Super Glue the clip back on and forget about it.

What do you want to do?
Old 06-22-2001, 08:47 PM

Originally posted by mdeal
Well, you done it now, boy. The clip is just a curved piece of plastic with the inside edges turned in. You could rig something to keep the top part of the pedal stationary. The pedal shouldn't move much since it is secured at the bottom.

I am not recommending you hack off that metal bracket, but if sounds like you have a couple of options: (1) purchase the entire arm and pedal (pre-attached) and hope you can install it (2) start hacking and figure a way to attach the top part of the pedal (3) Super Glue the clip back on and forget about it.

What do you want to do?
okay, well there's no going back now. i got sick of mickey mousing it and decided to admit i screwed up a really simple install.
so i picked up some sandpaper, alcohol, and jb-welded the pedal onto the accelerator arm with the metal rectangle still there.
i only put the welding stuff where the curved arm goes and where the plastic clip should have gone. so none of it should show up thru the holes in the pedal. just nice black aluminum and carpet.