5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Money better spent on an Exhaust or Intake?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 01:58 PM

Money better spent on an Exhaust or Intake?

I know this topic has been talked to death, so I apologize for beating a dead horse. Iv been searching like crazy, but cant find exactly the answer im looking for. The thing is it seems like everyone is looking for the modification that gives them the most power. To me the VQ35 has plenty of power, so that’s not what concerns me. What im really looking for, is the best sound, the Max is just to quiet. Im looking for something not to loud, but yet aggressive. Something like the G35. The max has the same engine, so it shouldn’t be to difficult to emulate the sound right? So tell me what should I buy?
Old 07-27-2006, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by FinalJenemba
...what should I buy?
a g35
Old 07-27-2006, 02:17 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

Headers

/thread
Old 07-27-2006, 02:17 PM
No More Maxipad

Originally Posted by reeloop
a g35

+1 lol

or just take your exhaust resonator out and put straight pipe in that'll give you some sound. plus the maxima isn't THAT quiet. i always hear a nice low growl when i drive even with my windows up i still hear it.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:44 PM

exhaust is outside, intake is under the hood...

would u rather let other drivers hear it? OR
you would rather hear it yourself?

"to hear or not to hear...that is the question"
Old 07-27-2006, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by SEmy2K2go
Headers

/thread

Will just changing the headers alone change the sound that much? They are an expensive piece, but if thats all I had to buy, it might be worth it.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

An intake will sound nice under the hood but to get a close sound to that in the G35, I think you should get a cat-back if performance isn't your main concern and you don't want something too loud.

I am new here so I can't really suggest any exhuast
Old 07-27-2006, 04:30 PM
大陆弟弟

Installing headers will make your car significantly louder and have tons of rasp, steven88 has a soundclip in his sig. Also, installing headers would make you air/fuel ratio extremely rich, so tuning is recommended.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:36 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by n3985
Installing headers will make your car significantly louder and have tons of rasp steven88 has a soundclip in his sig
Your post is invalid.

steven88 is a bad example because he has a test pipe and a cattman b-pipe.

If you keep all stock except for the headers (stock cat, b, muffler) you can't even tell the difference in sound. I know first hand since I dynoed like this and I was outside of the car. I had mine liks that for ~ 18 months, and still managed 233 whp...in my auto.

A slightly louder combo is headers, stock cat, Cattman B, stock rear piece... I have this set-up currently and love the sound. Nice tone (IMO so take it with a grain of salt)

seven88 has headers, no cat (test pipe) cattman b, and a stock reasr section. So your statement is invalid ... unless you said this
Originally Posted by n3985
Installing headers test pipe and an aftermarket b pipe will make your car significantly louder
Old 07-27-2006, 04:45 PM
大陆弟弟

OK, I guess my post was invalid as you personally had headers. I am sorry for trying to contribute...-_-;;;
Old 07-27-2006, 05:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Headers and a well resonated b-pipe and muffler will get your a nice exhaust tone with no raspiness, and some very nice power gains to boot.

My opinion is that headers along the Frankencar catback (which is pretty much out of production) do make the VQ35 Maximas sound like the Z/Gs. Check out Cubanato's clips in the exhaust sticky, although they don't do the set-up much justice.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:31 PM
Need A Light?

haha, well its raspy becuz...I have no main cat...that adds to the raspy ness...and two, I have the stock muffler...if you have full 2.5 inch piping all the way to a stock muffler, I'm sure it will sound raspy if you rev it in neutral...i am sure this applies with any car...that doesn't already come with a nice sounding stock muffler...

now while driving in gear, the car sounds completely normal...its only when revving in neutral, the car sounds raspy...

right now I'm running stock intake, cattman headers, test pipe, stock bpipe/muffler...the raspyness has went down a few more notches after adding the stock bpipe back on...and the stock intake gives it a very nice "mellow" tone, while driving in gear....where as the intake, it gives you all out "screaming"
Old 07-27-2006, 06:12 PM

Looks like I may be going the intake route, if only becouse of cost. Even if I go with "only" the frankencar catback, thats still 500 [Edit dollars lol]. Where I can get a berk intake for 180 with apexi filter. Is there anyway I can replace just the rear section and get a nice sound?
Old 07-27-2006, 06:22 PM
dot dot dot ...

What are dollers?

IMO JWT POP for $90 shipped > Berk
Old 07-27-2006, 06:29 PM

Does the JWT come with intake tubing or anything?
Old 07-27-2006, 06:41 PM
Need A Light?

nope, JWT intake only comes with the K&N filter and velocity stack...

intake is a good choice...its a worthy product for the gains you get...not quite as explosive as headers, but the dollar per hp value is definitely there...

if you REALLY wanna save money...give the ghetto air box (GAB) a try...it's completely free...and its proven a 9whp gain...now THATS a high dollar per hp value
Old 07-27-2006, 06:42 PM

no. but JWT has dyno'ed gains with the filter. makes the car louder, esp in the upper rpm range.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:01 PM
mjk
Head shot!!!

--->
Old 07-27-2006, 08:36 PM

Ok, how about the catback? Will doing just a catback get me anywhere close to the sound im looking for? Is there anybody that has done just a catback?
Old 07-27-2006, 08:42 PM
dot dot dot ...

Read/listen to the exhaust compilation sticky, that's what it there for. For all we know you want to sound like a ricer... We dont know what sound YOU want... only you do...
Old 07-27-2006, 09:50 PM

Thanks for all the responses, I think I have a pretty good idea what to be looking for now. Just to try and get a few more idea's let me try and narrow down my question. How can I make my Max sound closest to a g35 for under $500? It sounds like a silly newbish question I know, but its my ultimate goal. Also, why do you say that the Frankencar exhaust is almost out of production? It still shows as for sale on their website.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:11 AM
wat

Thanks for all the responses, I think I have a pretty good idea what to be looking for now. Just to try and get a few more idea's let me try and narrow down my question. How can I make my Max sound closest to a g35 for under $500? It sounds like a silly newbish question I know, but its my ultimate goal. Also, why do you say that the Frankencar exhaust is almost out of production? It still shows as for sale on their website.
You do know your car will never sound like a z/g/ser their cars have different pipesize/lenght/design, different resonators, and different mufflers. The last batch of people who ordered a frankencar products had to wait months for them to send out the products. Lookin the ForSale section and mebey you can get some of these parts used or just cheaper, there's always somone selling or parting out their maxima.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:41 AM

Hmmm....

Actually I know how to make your Car soundlike a G35... You saw off the pipe that connects to your muffler... lol... When mine snapped off due to rust it sounded just like a G35 inside and everyone thought I had exhaust lol ( I got it fixed )

On a serious note Headers.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:10 AM
still brewin'

Originally Posted by MaxVice4
Hmmm....

Actually I know how to make your Car soundlike a G35... You saw off the pipe that connects to your muffler... lol... When mine snapped off due to rust it sounded just like a G35 inside and everyone thought I had exhaust lol ( I got it fixed )

On a serious note Headers.

Same here. The rear muffler hanger which broke caused my resonator to seperate. I had it removed and had a peice of pipe welded in place. I would'nt go so far as to compare it to a G/Z, but its definately heard. Loud...not at all, raspy...in between 1500- 2500 rpm, worth it...IMO yes. My butt dyno also registered some gains . Then again, my car has a 3.0 so my comparison has a disadvantage.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:14 AM

I would reccommend getting an intake first, then if thats not enough sound go with a simple cat back. This will tell you what more mods will sound like. When working with exhaust work your way from the back to the engine. There is very little point to getting headers if the rest of your system is very restrictive. I used to have an evolution that had stock exhaust, I put on a full 3" system with a cat delete pipe. Of everything I did to that car perfromance wise, it was my favorite mod. It was loud as hell but man the but dyno registered gains alright.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:22 AM

GAB and headers/exhaust....your preference. Headers for bigger power gain, exhaust for a change in sound. Either way you come out with 2 mods instead of one.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by rugarip
I would reccommend getting an intake first, then if thats not enough sound go with a simple cat back. This will tell you what more mods will sound like. When working with exhaust work your way from the back to the engine. There is very little point to getting headers if the rest of your system is very restrictive. I used to have an evolution that had stock exhaust, I put on a full 3" system with a cat delete pipe. Of everything I did to that car perfromance wise, it was my favorite mod. It was loud as hell but man the but dyno registered gains alright.
I would say that you are partially right, depending on the route he plans to take. If someone is never going to get headers or a y-pipe then yes, you are right.

However, headers GREATLY amplify the exhaust volume. If some is going to get headers eventually, then by adding headers first, it is easier to figure out what sort of cat-back to go with, depending on a person's preference for exhaust tone and volume. I had a Cattman rear section without headers, and that was of acceptable volume (to me, that is) albeit with a slight drone, but once I got headers, it was easily 10x louder. Ask any one of the local guys who has seen my car. I have since switched rears, as have others who got relatively vocal rear sections before getting headers, namely Steven88, upstatemax, and rbrown81. They've all gone back to stock rear sections and IIRC Steven88 was still able to hit 250 whp with headers, Cattman b-pipe, test pipe, and his stock rear. Others with headers and the stock catback like 6speed_hayes, Nmexmax, jimmycapp, etc have dynoed in the 230+ range, which is still about 20+ whp over stock.

That being said, our stock 2.25" catback or even muffler is not that restrictive compared to other cars, esp not a turbocharged Evo or WRX. We get about 5-8 whp gains from replacing the catback while I know those turbo cars get something like 20 whp from a 3" cat-back alone. You would know better than I of course, having had the experience of owning one.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
I would say that you are partially right, depending on the route he plans to take. If someone is never going to get headers or a y-pipe then yes, you are right.

However, headers GREATLY amplify the exhaust volume. If some is going to get headers eventually, then by adding headers first, it is easier to figure out what sort of cat-back to go with, depending on a person's preference for exhaust tone and volume. I had a Cattman rear section without headers, and that was of acceptable volume (to me, that is) albeit with a slight drone, but once I got headers, it was easily 10x louder. Ask any one of the local guys who has seen my car. I have since switched rears, as have others who got relatively vocal rear sections before getting headers, namely Steven88, upstatemax, and rbrown81. They've all gone back to stock rear sections and IIRC Steven88 was still able to hit 250 whp with headers, Cattman b-pipe, test pipe, and his stock rear. Others with headers and the stock catback like 6speed_hayes, Nmexmax, jimmycapp, etc have dynoed in the 230+ range, which is still about 20+ whp over stock.

That being said, our stock 2.25" catback or even muffler is not that restrictive compared to other cars, esp not a turbocharged Evo or WRX. We get about 5-8 whp gains from replacing the catback while I know those turbo cars get something like 20 whp from a 3" cat-back alone. You would know better than I of course, having had the experience of owning one.

Yes, he is correct, I dont plan on ever getting headers. If I go that route then I have to get a piggyback, and I just dont want to get in that deep with this car. Now will adding a cattman b-pipe while leaving the rear stock affect the tone at all? If not I may just get a cattman rear, and leave everything else stock. Then if neccesary get an intake. Again thanks for all the responses.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:20 AM

Yes, he is correct, I dont plan on ever getting headers. If I go that route then I have to get a piggyback, and I just dont want to get in that deep with this car. Now will adding a cattman b-pipe while leaving the rear stock affect the tone at all? If not I may just get a cattman rear, and leave everything else stock. Then if neccesary get an intake. Again thanks for all the responses.
The b-pipe barely changes the tone/volume IMO. I'm sure there is some change, but to me, it is negligible. You'll like the sound of the intake though.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:22 AM

My Max sounds as close to a G35 as it ever has and here is the route that I took:

1. Intake - nice sound from under the hood.
2. Intake and Stillen Y-pipe got a bit louder and sounded like a whaaaaa sound. Not bad but nothing close to a G35 sound.
3. Intake, Stillen Y-Pipe and an HKS rear section. This setup was way too loud for a luxury car. Sounded like a 6 cylinder chevy S10 with a exhaust. Terrible and it had a drone at around 2,300 rpm.
4. Dumped the Y-pipe and found the sweet sound that I was looking for. Kinda like a G35 but a bit lower in pitch.

If you are not concerned with adding a great deal of power, get yourself a cat back or a rear section. MY HKS sounds great without any other mods except for a Stillen pop intake.

Good Luck.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Edward Lee
My Max sounds as close to a G35 as it ever has and here is the route that I took:

1. Intake - nice sound from under the hood.
2. Intake and Stillen Y-pipe got a bit louder and sounded like a whaaaaa sound. Not bad but nothing close to a G35 sound.
3. Intake, Stillen Y-Pipe and an HKS rear section. This setup was way too loud for a luxury car. Sounded like a 6 cylinder chevy S10 with a exhaust. Terrible and it had a drone at around 2,300 rpm.
4. Dumped the Y-pipe and found the sweet sound that I was looking for. Kinda like a G35 but a bit lower in pitch.

If you are not concerned with adding a great deal of power, get yourself a cat back or a rear section. MY HKS sounds great without any other mods except for a Stillen pop intake.

Good Luck.
Thank you! That is exactly the response I wanted to hear, lol. Looks like an HKS rear section first, then an intake if necessary.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:41 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Edward Lee
Sounded like a 6 cylinder chevy S10 with a exhaust
That's attriubuted to the unequal length the aftermarket y-pipe....
Old 07-28-2006, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
The b-pipe barely changes the tone/volume IMO. I'm sure there is some change, but to me, it is negligible. You'll like the sound of the intake though.
I will point out that in his case, since he is planning on staying stock from the cat forward, changing the b-pipe will be a negligible change in exhaust sound. But like NmexMAX said, if you have headers/y then removing the horrible crimps and the large resonator in the stock b-pipe by replacing it, with even a resonated aftermarket b, will noticeably change exhaust sound.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:15 AM

Thank you! That is exactly the response I wanted to hear, lol. Looks like an HKS rear section first, then an intake if necessary.

I'll try and upload a sound clip from my cell phone camcorder. Be back in a few.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:49 AM

The exhaust sticky has some clips of Xlcrew's car with HKS rear.... I believe he has an intake and y-pipe on there too....
Old 02-13-2010, 10:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

just make your own all it cost me was a KnN just cut the screen off my maf
Old 02-13-2010, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Fredi1607
just make your own all it cost me was a KnN just cut the screen off my maf
That would have been useful four years ago.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:52 AM

Here is your answer.... your maxima will never sound like a G35, if you want that sound your best bet is to buy a G35, the price range between a intake and exhaust is so far apart I don't get why you're contemplating between the two, you can make your own short ram intake for probebly 25$ a decent sounding exhaust will be from the $400 range up but like one of the mods said if your looking for power then headers................
Old 02-14-2010, 06:42 AM
DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS MEMBER - OWES PEOPLE MONEY

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
Here is your answer.... your maxima will never sound like a G35, if you want that sound your best bet is to buy a G35, the price range between a intake and exhaust is so far apart I don't get why you're contemplating between the two, you can make your own short ram intake for probebly 25$ a decent sounding exhaust will be from the $400 range up but like one of the mods said if your looking for power then headers................
Let me hook you up with my time machine so you can go back and tell them all what's up.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:55 AM

Hahahahahahahaha u got me.... I'm on my cell and barely pay attn to crap like that lls.. got me non the less

Quick Reply: Money better spent on an Exhaust or Intake?