5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Removing front seats with airbags

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 05:56 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Removing front seats with airbags

Has anybody done it? I know how to take them out, thats not hard. What I am looking for is how to make sure NOT to set off the airbag light. As when you change out the cabin airfilters, if you disconnect the yellow connectors you have to go to the stealership and have the code reset to the tune of 80 clams.

So....anybody do it?
Old 08-02-2006, 08:40 AM
Willing to learn

Before you do ANYthing, take the negative cable off the battery.

Whatever airbag components that you disconnect/reconnect from this point will be in no danger of deploying. No power can reach the components to allow them to function OR record faults. After the work is completed, reconnect the cable. Nothing should need resetting.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:55 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally Posted by oldngivout
Before you do ANYthing, take the negative cable off the battery.

Whatever airbag components that you disconnect/reconnect from this point will be in no danger of deploying. No power can reach the components to allow them to function OR record faults. After the work is completed, reconnect the cable. Nothing should need resetting.
OK...I was going to do that, but since I did not specifically say it I am glad it was said for future readers.

So if I perform the remove the negative cable, press the brake for couple seconds, disconnect the connectors...do my work and reverse the process I should be good to go?
Old 08-02-2006, 10:22 AM
♠♠♠♠♠

Trigger the airbags to go off, just for fun. Take a video of you doing it too..

but yeah, just unplug the battery. Even if there is a code, you can just go to autozone or wherever and have them reset it.. no biggie.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:38 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally Posted by MacGarnicle
but yeah, just unplug the battery. Even if there is a code, you can just go to autozone or wherever and have them reset it.. no biggie.
No Autozone around here will do it. They will do CEL's but not airbag lights. Thats why I want to make sure not to set it off as I wont set foot in a Nissan dealership.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:19 PM
Willing to learn

Likes I stated earlier, if you disconnect the neg. cable first, you will not set any codes.......unless you forget to reconnect something on the airbag system before reconnecting the battery.

BTW, I have no idea what pressing the brake pedal has to do with anything about this system. Not necessary, but it won't hurt.

And you are correct about AutoZone, they will no longer reset ANY CEL or Airbag lamps. Liability concerns I'm sure.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:21 PM
♠♠♠♠♠

oh right.. yeah, my bad. All matters related to air bags require an authorized dealer to check it, lest they be nonfunctioning and not deploy.. liability and all..
Old 08-02-2006, 01:40 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

There won't even be a need to disconnect the battery, although it does not hurt. When you remove glovebox, you will see a fairly large yellow wiring harness attached via two pastic grommets attached to it. Push these two grommets through the holes and continue on.

The airbag light will ONLY go off if this connection is broken. There is no reason at all you should need to disconnect if you heed the aforementioned.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:42 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Originally Posted by oldngivout
Likes I stated earlier, if you disconnect the neg. cable first, you will not set any codes.......unless you forget to reconnect something on the airbag system before reconnecting the battery
You have obviously never delved into anything of this nature before. You information is wholly erroneous.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:43 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Originally Posted by Colonel
So if I perform the remove the negative cable, press the brake for couple seconds, disconnect the connectors...do my work and reverse the process I should be good to go?

Absolutley not. DON'T DISCONNECT THE HARNESS PLUG. Just push out the grommets.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

hey Metal Maxima Colonel is removing front seats with airbags - not taking of the glove box. When repair shop was fixing my seat they didn't even disconnect the battery bat they say that during the time you have airbag seats unplugged you CAN NOT put your key into ignition.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Arek
hey Metal Maxima Colonel is removing front seats with airbags - not taking of the glove box. When repair shop was fixing my seat they didn't even disconnect the battery bat they say that during the time you have airbag seats unplugged you CAN NOT put your key into ignition.
wth?

you "CAN NOT" or should not?
cuz puttin the key in would throw a code?
Old 08-02-2006, 06:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by trigger005
wth?

you "CAN NOT" or should not?
cuz puttin the key in would throw a code?
Sorry you right I should say "you should not put key into ignition cuz putting the key in would make the airbag light to come of and as far as I know only dealer can reset that"
Old 08-02-2006, 08:31 PM
Willing to learn

MetalMaxima, I would like to know just how you would propose him to remove his seats with AIRBAGS without disconnecting any harness? You have no idea what the man is even trying to do.

Oh,and BTW, I am indeed qualified. I work on Nissans everyday for a living. You will just never be able to see the proof.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:57 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Yes, I am removing a seat with airbags. I dont want the light to trigger.

I heard and old wives tale that when you disconnect the battery you should press the brake pedal to remove any "residual current" in the system. Yes, I know its probably an urban myth, but it couldnt hurt to perform it.

Thanks for the data!