5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Grinding In Reverse -- Auto Gurus Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 11:36 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Grinding In Reverse -- Auto Gurus Help!

THIS IS AN AUTOTRAGIC QUESTION!

Ok, I've been getting an occassional grinding sound when I put the gearshift into reverse. At first I thought my transmission was going to die on me, but after driving around for a couple weeks and some minor inspections, I'm starting to think it might be my suspension that's causing this noise. I've been on KSports since the end of March, and haven't had this problem until maybe a month ago. Something makes me suspect it's the pillowball mounts. As soon as the gearshift goes into anything else (P, N, 1-D4), the noise immediately disappears. Also, when I'm in reverse, sometimes I'm able to make the grinding change volume (decreasing usually) or possibly even make it dissapear by simply turning the steering wheel as I'm rolling backwards. I HAVE had my suspicions of the quality of the transmission before the coilovers went on, but I don't want to show up to the stealership complaining about the transmission when in fact the source of the noise could be something else. I have 5K miles left until my 60K warranty is up and would like to narrow things down very quickly in case it is indeed the transmission!

HELP!
Old 08-10-2006, 01:06 PM

Check the motor mounts. The following is based on my experiences: after startup, when the motor is still cold, when reverse is engaged, the motor would not idle smoothly. As the car moves in reverse, the car will make a metal grinding noise. After the motor is warmed up, the sound goes away (in reverse).
Old 08-10-2006, 02:38 PM

If It's still under warranty, I say set-up an appointment and take it in. Tell them the symptoms and let them know you're going to be a waiter. The tech should be able to pinpoint the problem in no time. Then he can order the parts and if it's anything like our dealership you can be out of there with your car in 1/2 hour or so.
As long as you tell them you just want to bring it in for diagnosis and will bring it back for the repairs (You suspect it's a trans or mounts problem, and it will need Special order parts) there SHOULD be no problems.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:03 PM

Do you have a strut bar? I had an ebay front strut bar and in reverse my throttle body would hit the bar. Check that if you have a bar.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:10 PM
Z

How the hell does grinding = banging noise?

Two seperate issues -- please read.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:21 AM

I would like to also add, that my above description may not be 100% accurate. The MAJORITY of the time that the grinding occurs (this could also be an INTENSE creaking BTW), it's audible when the car is in REVERSE and I'm holding the brake. Most of the time (but not always), the sound will go away as I'm just rolling backwards, regardless of steering wheel position as I mentioned in the first post. That's not to say it'll go away as soon as I release the brakes, but it's a frequent pattern that I've noticed.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by joebangaa
I would like to also add, that my above description may not be 100% accurate. The MAJORITY of the time that the grinding occurs (this could also be an INTENSE creaking BTW), it's audible when the car is in REVERSE and I'm holding the brake. Most of the time (but not always), the sound will go away as I'm just rolling backwards, regardless of steering wheel position as I mentioned in the first post. That's not to say it'll go away as soon as I release the brakes, but it's a frequent pattern that I've noticed.
Does the sound occur (more or less) when the motor is warm or cold?
Old 08-11-2006, 10:15 PM

I would say there's a loose correlation w/ being cold.. any ideas?
Old 08-11-2006, 11:25 PM

To test for broken motor mounts, two people are needed.

First, set the emergency brake firmly and double-check to see that it holds the vehicle against the torque of the engine.
While a helper puts the car in gear with the engine running, observe the mount on one side of the engine to see if the engine lifts off it.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:10 AM

Ok I'll check it out. Is this not so uncommon? I'll look at all the mounts but is there any reason why I should be more focused w/ the front or back mounts?
Old 08-12-2006, 12:04 PM

That procedure is to check any of the 4 motor mounts. If one is bad, or in bad condition, the motor should move excessively.