5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

How to prevent your rear ABS lip from melting!!!! *PICS*

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 06:35 PM

How to prevent your rear ABS lip from melting!!!! *PICS*

Well since some people experienced this problem and so did I, therefore I decided to help and post what I did.

Well to get the story short my rear ABS lip melted a couple days ago after taking an 8 hour trip. I guess the lip melted when I was doing over 5K RMP for a couple min, so my exhaust got real hot and melted the lip. Well anyways I had to heat up the lip with a proper heating gun, to move some parts of the lip back in the place cause my lip melted much more than what you see in the pic. It was curved and bent from the top and from the sides. So I had to use a heat gun to heat up the lip and to pull out and push some sides back in, cause they've been curved up pretty bad. (In the pic the top and sides are already in it's place after heating it up.)

So here what I did. I cut out a metal shield, and a piece of leather to protect it from melting again. (It's a leather not a carboard as it seems) Leather went between the lip and the shield so when the sheild will heat up it will protect it from melting. Than I made a couple holes used some clamps and put it together.

Ofcourse this won't help if you experience the same problem Deckdout2 did. You can find out more in here http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=482534
Well there are some pictures, and how I fixed the problem from happening it again.

Old 08-10-2006, 07:38 PM

Congrads, sory you had to suffer to come up with solution. It doesnt look half bad.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:45 PM
I R The Law

nice problem fixer
Old 08-11-2006, 06:01 AM
vsamoylov

straight up ghetto rigged it. haha

Old 08-11-2006, 07:07 AM
+Cru OG

A nice fix for a recurring problem with ABS. Although a good fix, wouldn't the heat still transfer through the rivets and eventually do the same damage?
Old 08-11-2006, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by NisMoN00B
A nice fix for a recurring problem with ABS. Although a good fix, wouldn't the heat still transfer through the rivets and eventually do the same damage?
No, the heat should stop transferting when it's going to reach leather. Leather is a very good heat resistant/absorbant. Rivets are still going through the leather, I don't think they'll do anything to the lip, and plus they're closer to the outside, therefore I don't think that part is going to heat up that bad.

This mod it realy hardly noticale when you look at the lip on the car.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:08 AM

shurik,
Do you have a Cattman muffler? I currently have stock muffler with Abs rear but I don't have melting problems. I want to know if this is associated with aftermarket muffler only.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:13 AM
Driving is the next best thing

Very nice!

I also like the way it looks as this reminds me the exhaust of a real race car.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Grey00lustre
shurik,
Do you have a Cattman muffler? I currently have stock muffler with Abs rear but I don't have melting problems. I want to know if this is associated with aftermarket muffler only.
Yes it is Cattman. No I doubted that you're going to have any problems with the stock set up. Stock muffler tips are not as big + they're farther away so won't heat up as Cattman does.

Originally Posted by DrKlop
Very nice!

I also like the way it looks as this reminds me the exhaust of a real race car.
Thanks bratok!!! Ohhh yeah and it's not a mistake if you would call it a race car with a racing exhaust, cause that's what it realy is. How do you think I melted my lip. hehe
Old 08-11-2006, 08:56 AM
Z

Good move, bro.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:15 AM
Go BUCKS!!!

Originally Posted by vsamoylov
Other options?
Old 08-11-2006, 10:46 AM

nicely done
heatshield ftw

however, that metal/plastic contrast doesnt look so hot
suggest painting it black with some engine/caliper paint

post new pix if u do
Old 08-11-2006, 11:05 AM

Looks good, as mentioned it would look even better painted black. I will def. remember this when I get around to an aftermarket exhaust.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:07 AM
+Cru OG

Originally Posted by trigger005
nicely done
heatshield ftw

post new pix if u do
IMHO, the contrast is nice. It breaks the monotonous rear end and brings that little pop in the rear.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by shurik
Well since some people experienced this problem and so did I, therefore I decided to help and post what I did.

Well to get the story short my rear ABS lip melted a couple days ago after taking an 8 hour trip. I guess the lip melted when I was doing over 5K RMP for a couple min, so my exhaust got real hot and melted the lip. Well anyways I had to heat up the lip with a proper heating gun, to move some parts of the lip back in the place cause my lip melted much more than what you see in the pic. It was curved and bent from the top and from the sides. So I had to use a heat gun to heat up the lip and to pull out and push some sides back in, cause they've been curved up pretty bad. (In the pic the top and sides are already in it's place after heating it up.)

So here what I did. I cut out a metal shield, and a piece of leather to protect it from melting again. (It's a leather not a carboard as it seems) Leather went between the lip and the shield so when the sheild will heat up it will protect it from melting. Than I made a couple holes used some clamps and put it together.

Ofcourse this won't help if you experience the same problem Deckdout2 did. You can find out more in here http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=482534
Well there are some pictures, and how I fixed the problem from happening it again.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a22...5/DSC01207.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a22...5/DSC01209.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a22...5/DSC01211.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a22...5/DSC01218.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a22...5/DSC01220.jpg

Where did u get ur front and rear lip from.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by trigger005
nicely done
heatshield ftw

post new pix if u do
Well trigger005 I don't know how nice it would look in black, not realy sure. I agree with Arnold that it does gives that race-car look with how it is, but we'll see...

NisMoN00B I think the same way like you said, it brings that little pop in the rear!

maxs4life I got my front lip from Stillen and my rear one (ABS) from Ebay.

Vasya I see you've been coming in and leaving those 5 word comments to me in almost every thread, with a little humor in them...I think I'm gonna have to give you a visit one of these days, and realy find out what you're smoking lately. hehe
Old 08-11-2006, 01:51 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Vasya I see you've been coming in and leaving those 5 word comments to me in almost every thread, with a little humor in them...I think I'm gonna have to give you a visit one of these days, and realy find out what you're smoking lately. hehe
Don't take it personally, he brings nothing to the table.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Metal Maxima
Don't take it personally, he brings nothing to the table.
Ohh no no he's a cool guy I know, or I think I know??? hehe j/k
Old 08-11-2006, 03:23 PM

looks decent and adds a lot of protection. I would paint it flat black not because of the metal finish, but because it will hide the dimples and uneveness of the bends. BUT don't get me wrong, I understand how hard it is to smooth out metal. From the angle and distance of someone walking and looking at your car it wouldn't make a big difference and from the perspective of the driver behind you he would not be able to get close enough to see the metal bends. BTW, do you have any distance shots?

Overall, nice work!
Old 08-11-2006, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by ChromeSE5
looks decent and adds a lot of protection. I would paint it flat black not because of the metal finish, but because it will hide the dimples and uneveness of the bends. BUT don't get me wrong, I understand how hard it is to smooth out metal. From the angle and distance of someone walking and looking at your car it wouldn't make a big difference and from the perspective of the driver behind you he would not be able to get close enough to see the metal bends. BTW, do you have any distance shots?

Overall, nice work!
Yeah it's realy hard to notice those metal bents, and this mod that I did is realy not as visable as it seems. I'll try to post up some distance pics later to show how it realy looks from a normal veiw. I would take the pics now but it's too dark outside so I'll post them up later. OHhhh yeah I'll keep in mind of painting it in black.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:48 PM
vsamoylov

shurik your welcome to come down and chill down here. you going to state college pa on september 1st? or how about va for the conference? just dont take my comments seriously as most people do here on the org.

Old 08-12-2006, 11:30 AM

shurik your welcome to come down and chill down here. you going to state college pa on september 1st? or how about va for the conference? just dont take my comments seriously as most people do here on the org.
No don't worry, I don't take them seriously. I sometimes joke a little as you could see. Well I'm not going to be able to attend the conferenes you mentioned. I heard about them, but I'm going to be at school at that time so I can't! Well my 2 cousins are going to be there, my cousin with TRD celica if you remember and another one with an 2004 alitma, we 3 were at that NY conference (camp) this summer.
Old 08-12-2006, 06:11 PM

Here are the pictures of how it looks from the distance like I promised.
You can notice there's a dent on my trunk, and the rear light is not lined up perfectly,... yes that need to be fixed.

Old 08-13-2006, 07:25 AM
vsamoylov

cant even tell that its there but in the first pic it looks like the tip is still touching the lip

Old 08-13-2006, 10:47 AM

cant even tell that its there but in the first pic it looks like the tip is still touching the lip
No it's only seems that way. On the 4th picture from very top of the thread you can see how much space I have left. It's even on the left and right, the same amount of room.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:07 PM
vsamoylov

No it's only seems that way. On the 4th picture from very top of the thread you can see how much space I have left. It's even on the left and right, the same amount of room.
then i need to check out my vision.

Old 08-13-2006, 12:36 PM

then i need to check out my vision.
You're alright Vaska, you're alright!