5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

can you put front brakes on the rear?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 10:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

can you put front brakes on the rear?

Maybe I am being stupid, but I wana try it and then just get larger ones for the front. Maybe 04's for the front.

I didn't see this posted, if it is shoot me and send me the link and let it be that.

Thank you.

Greg
Old 08-12-2006, 10:58 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

In a word, no.

With the e-brake assembly attached to the rear caliper setup, installing the front components would be pretty much impossible. Not too many people upgrade the rears if they're doing the A34 front brake upgrade.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:02 AM
Seoul Man

If you get good pads and rotors on your stock brakes, upgrading to the A34 front brakes may not be worth it. You'll be altering your brake bias, increasing the rotational mass of your front wheels (worse acceleration), and increasing the unsprung weight on your front suspension (worse handling).

I AM NOT TRYING TO CONVINCE YOU NOT TO DO THIS IF IT'S WHAT YOU WANT TO DO. I'm only pointing out that the money and time spent doing this "upgrade" may not be worth it when you weigh the pros and cons of putting on A34 brakes compared to simply upgrading your stock pads and replacing your stock rotors if necessary.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:38 AM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by spiromax
If you get good pads and rotors on your stock brakes, upgrading to the A34 front brakes may not be worth it. You'll be altering your brake bias, increasing the rotational mass of your front wheels (worse acceleration), and increasing the unsprung weight on your front suspension (worse handling).

I AM NOT TRYING TO CONVINCE YOU NOT TO DO THIS IF IT'S WHAT YOU WANT TO DO. I'm only pointing out that the money and time spent doing this "upgrade" may not be worth it when you weigh the pros and cons of putting on A34 brakes compared to simply upgrading your stock pads and replacing your stock rotors if necessary.
The a34 upgrade is less for better braking, per se, than it is to eliminate the "warping" of the front rotors (i.e uneven pad material buildup due to too hot rotors). Our OEM's overheat easily becuase they are undersized for the weight of the car.

As someone who's been using them for a good while now, I can tell you that the brake bias is not greatly affected, nor is handling to any noticeable extent. You can change brake bias just as easily by using various types of pads, frankly.

That said, my brake bias will be affected once I put these on:

Old 08-13-2006, 11:59 AM

To me it is overkill. There is something to be said with matching the braking force of your car with its performance. Overkilling the brakes can actually cause you can to perform worse. How so with a huge overkilled brake upgrade you are adding significant wieght and not using the kits to it full capacity.

Also it is said 85% of braking in front wheel drive cars in done in the front. Additionally if you look at more tuners the rear brake assembly on track cars are mostly just rotor and pad upgrades and keep for the most part stock calipers.

I think you are adding nonessenital upgrade with very few it any positives. But then again it is your car you want then do it. just be sure to do a write up
Old 08-13-2006, 12:16 PM
retired moderator

I'm not sure if you're replying to me, or to the original question regarding the rear brakes. If you're talking about a rear brake upgrade, I agree with you for the most part that it's not necessary, and please ignore the rest of my statements below.

If you were replying to me about the 6th gen/300ZX fronts, read on:

Originally Posted by ctrent86
To me it is overkill. There is something to be said with matching the braking force of your car with its performance.
that would be true if our OEM brakes were designed appropriately. But think about the fact that the 5th gen brakes are the same as the 4th gen brakes, and a 4th gen weighs considerably less than a 5th gen (particularly if it's a loaded model with power/heated seats, etc). The fact is, Nissan cheaped out and didn't upgrade the brakes for the 5th gen like they should have. The 6th gen upgrade remedies this problem. The OEM brakes are woefullly insufficient for the weight of our cars, that's the bottom line.

Overkilling the brakes can actually cause you can to perform worse.
please explain how upgrading the brakes can reduce performance, apart from the weight increase with *certain* upgrades.

How so with a huge overkilled brake upgrade you are adding significant wieght and not using the kits to it full capacity.
which upgrade are you referring to? The 300ZXTT calipers in my pic above are aluminum, and weigh a good 3-4 lbs LESS than our stock calipers. Furthermore, the total piston area (4 pistons per caliper) is only about 10% more total than the stock (single) piston, IIRC. The difference is distribution of force eveny throughout the pad with 4 pistons as opposed to 2.

Also it is said 85% of braking in front wheel drive cars in done in the front. Additionally if you look at more tuners the rear brake assembly on track cars are mostly just rotor and pad upgrades and keep for the most part stock calipers.
ok, I see that you're referring the the rears here, and I agree with you. Up until the mid-80s alot of high-performance cars actually still used drum brakes in the back. Fronts do the bulk of the work and are where the bulk of the upgrading should be done.

I hate the word "tuners" though....it seems to imply the ricers that like to sit in parking lots and use their BBKs for looks, not performance. Damn, i wish there was another good term for people who upgrade for performance

I think you are adding nonessenital upgrade with very few it any positives. But then again it is your car you want then do it. just be sure to do a write up
If you're referring to rears, I agree wholly with your assessment.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Kool, a the whole brake argument made it to my thred.

Greg
Old 08-13-2006, 01:32 PM
STFU n00b!

cliff's notes:
putting front brakes on the rear of your car would be suicide. it would completely ruin your brake bias and you would end up spinning yourself around every time you hit the brakes.

Aside from that, you'd be more than doubling the unsprung and rotating weight on the rear of the car. if you're just going to be putting the A34s up front, then simply put a good set of pads on the rear and call it a day. if you're going to do a massive BBK up front for track use, then take a look at my rear brake kit on my website.