5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

My HIDs were stolen, and I have a question

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 04:45 PM

My HIDs were stolen, and I have a question

Well, today someone less fortunate than me decided they needed my headlights (wife's car) more than I did.

They scuffed the area around the lights pretty good, but they ripped the wiring very badly. This is the worst part for me, because if they had unplugged the wires I probably would have just switched to the 00-01 style until I move away from this area. I'm living in the northeast temporarily and don't have any way or time to fix this myself so I'm going to have to take it to a shop for repair.

Do the theives usually tear up the wiring (the plugs are ripped out)? Also, for those who have had this happen, did the insurance company give you any trouble with replacing the wiring harness? I really don't want a black tape repair done - I want the car back the way it was before and that will require replacement of the wiring harness.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:55 PM
THIS IS...

Then go through your insurance, pay the deductible and call it a day. Dont put halogen assemblies in a factory HID equipped vehicle. It makes no sense. If you get the insurance company to do it then get Data Dots protection and your will be fine. Maybe an alarm to boot.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by alpinestars™
Then go through your insurance, pay the deductible and call it a day. Dont put halogen assemblies in a factory HID equipped vehicle. It makes no sense. If you get the insurance company to do it then get Data Dots protection and your will be fine. Maybe an alarm to boot.
It's definitely being fixed through the insurance due to the wiring damage, so I'm definitely getting it put back to HID the way it was.

I have the factory alarm/keyless, but it may not be good enough to pick up that somebody is stealing the headlights, I'm not sure.

I'll have to look into the Data Dots thing.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:05 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

How do they actually go about stealing them without breaking them? Did they pry them out by breaking the securing points?
Old 08-17-2006, 05:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by monty31
How do they actually go about stealing them without breaking them? Did they pry them out by breaking the securing points?
They're not exactly careful with them...if they break them, it's alright because the main things they want are the bulb and the ballast, not the housing...they ususally rip the top tabs off and scratch the crap out of the housing so if you see one like that on ebay, more than likely it's stolen
Old 08-17-2006, 05:36 PM

is there an easy way to tell if a max doesnt have datadots?
Old 08-17-2006, 05:59 PM

did you have the datadots done on your headlights?
Old 08-17-2006, 06:02 PM
I C U

Originally Posted by nismomaxx
is there an easy way to tell if a max doesnt have datadots?
Theres usually, unless taken off, a round sticker that says Data Dot something or the other. It's on the healight assembly itself.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:08 PM

i just had mine stolen again yesterday, second time, im going through insurance then selling the max!
Old 08-17-2006, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by MaxgtrBlue
i just had mine stolen again yesterday, second time, im going through insurance then selling the max!
did you have datadots?
Old 08-17-2006, 06:10 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

you ca make a metal cover to protect the ballast... the housing is nothing for them.... they are after the ballast
Old 08-17-2006, 06:10 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Originally Posted by four
did you have datadots?
Datadots do percious little more than deter theft in that they are harder to sell. It's Nissan's pathetic tip-toe around the fact that their mounting hardware was complete and total crap.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Metal Maxima
Datadots do percious little more than deter theft in that they are harder to sell. It's Nissan's pathetic tip-toe around the fact that their mounting hardware was complete and total crap.
True ... in a way because no smart or self-respecting business will buy ripped off HIDs with datadots because they are clearly stolen property, which can easily get them in trouble, if bought and caught. With the brackets that come with the datadots, they make the HIDs much more difficult to steal. Scumbag thieves know better not to temper with protected HIDs because they will waste a lot of time, and not knowing when they can get them without damaging them in the process.

If your HIDs received the datadot/bracket fix, you can sleep much better. If not, get them anyway you can, i.e. legally of course.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:22 PM

Sorry to hear that man....Hope u move SOON..In my area we dont have that problem I got 4 years wit my Max N nothing or maybe I'm just lucky...KNOCK ON WOOD
Old 08-17-2006, 08:32 PM
westler92

That must be an eastcoast thang.......Havent really heard the west coast gettin knocked like that.....

Old 08-17-2006, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by alpinestars™
well, it is no longer HID equiped and yes it does make sense to put 00/01 heads on instead if you are worried about having them stolen again. As far as im concerned 2k2/2k3 hids are pretty much just for aethetics, they dont put out that much light being hid, but they do look nice (the housings and the color of the light).
Old 08-19-2006, 06:20 AM

HIDs are nice but not worth the hassle in high-theft areas - deductible or not. Some folks here got their HIDs stolen multiple times; the aggrivation and lost personal time \ wages traveling to dealerships and bodyshops, driving rentals until the lights come in...just not worth it IMO. Piece of mind > aesthetics because You > car.
Old 08-19-2006, 06:23 AM
westler92

No but if you are gonna use your insurance and raise your rates inevitably....go for the gusto. Otherwise you are just letting the thieves win....(or they will just take your new HID's and win again)..

I see the conundrum now....

Old 08-19-2006, 06:40 AM

Well, I took the car to the shop yesterday. Apparently Nissan makes a wiring harness repair kit just for the headlight theft issue (I couldn't believe that). Total bill for the insurance company is $2200, but it's under my comprehensive so no deductable for me. Luckily, State Farm doesn't raise your rates for comprehensive claims like some insurance companies do.

I hope this doesn't happen again while I'm in PA, my wife just got a job in a better area so she doesn't have to park on the street anymore so maybe we'll get lucky. I doubt it'll be at much risk in Missouri (our home for the next 3 years), but we'll have to keep our fingers crossed.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:41 AM

They're hitting PA to now? Time to start parking the car in the sis' garage when I'm down there!!
Old 08-19-2006, 10:44 AM

sorry to hear they stole your HIDs.
Old 08-19-2006, 01:49 PM

make sure you demand that your insurance company pay you for FACTORY NISSAN HIDs. They'll try to give you some aftermarket crap from Korea. Especially Allstate. I hate Allstate.
Old 08-19-2006, 03:51 PM

I really don't know about PA, since I've only lived here for 2 months (and only 10 to go).

I talked to the man at the shop and he ordered my lights directly from a Nissan dealer, all new factory parts. I would not accept aftermarket crap.
Old 08-19-2006, 06:22 PM

I feel your pain dude. I haven't had mine stolen yet, but I know it's only a matter of time. I refuse to bring my car into the city (Boston) because I know it'll happen. I've seen the same car get it's lights stolen 3 times, right out side my building.

I need to go to the Nissan Stealership and have the datadots installed before it's too late.
Old 08-19-2006, 06:44 PM

the first time i had data dots, didnt help
did you have datadots?
Old 08-19-2006, 08:46 PM

Theives dont realize the lights have data dots untill they bend your fender, scratch your hood, and break your bumper and housing... once thats done, they leave you w/ a useless set of headlights and damaged parts.
Old 08-20-2006, 02:26 AM
westler92

You need to live in a state with better concealed weapons laws.....

Run up on my lights you could lose your life!

Old 08-20-2006, 02:53 AM
Go BUCKS!!!

^^^Over some headlights? Seems worth it
Old 08-20-2006, 05:00 AM

What do these datadots things do? I'm a sheltered one with a 2001 lol but i parked next to a gorgeous silver 03 TE tat the bank the other day, i was checking it out and it had a big DataDots sticker on the drivers back window and small oval stickers on each one of the headlights, are they just secure brackets or something?
Old 08-20-2006, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by X-Vert
Theives dont realize the lights have data dots untill they bend your fender, scratch your hood, and break your bumper and housing... once thats done, they leave you w/ a useless set of headlights and damaged parts.
You either don't have an 02/03 Max or you never had the datadots done even though it was offered for free by Nissan to all tri-state Max owners two years ago. For your info, in addition to spraying the HID housing with datadots, four reflective labels are placed on each of the HIDs and the front windows of car showing that the HIDs have been datadotted.

Unless the thieves are BLIND (if so, HIDs are useless to them), they will SEE the labels.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by kenny
You either don't have an 02/03 Max or you never had the datadots done even though it was offered for free by Nissan to all tri-state Max owners two years ago.
Just curious as to where the "tri-state" area is? I lived in Kentucky until two months ago, and I never got any notice that Nissan was giving these out.

I would definitely get it done for my new lights if they'll pick up the bill for it. I would consider paying myself depending on how much it costs.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:30 AM

The Tri-State area consists of New York, New Jersey, and sometimes Pennsylvania- sometimes Connecticut. Depending on who you ask.

Some would argue its NY/NJ/CT while others would say NY/NJ/PA.

All I have to say is NY rules.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:44 AM

I just wonder if I could get the DataDots recall done at a local Nissan dealership (I live right by the PA/NJ border so maybe a dealer in one or the other will do it).

Anyone know if they're still doing the free DataDots "fix"?
Old 08-20-2006, 11:25 AM
F---ing Kangaroos

Some or you idiots are real smart, let’s get our panties in a bunch over installation instructions for installing 5.5 hid's on 5th gens but let’s allow instructions on how they are stolen
Old 08-21-2006, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by PAREDLINE
The Tri-State area consists of New York, New Jersey, and sometimes Pennsylvania- sometimes Connecticut. Depending on who you ask.

Some would argue its NY/NJ/CT while others would say NY/NJ/PA.

All I have to say is NY rules.
It includes most of the northeast. (MA, CONN., NY/NJ, PA.)
I had it done on my 02 and when I was looking to replace my 02, every 5.5 gen i saw on dealers lots had the data dots done. My 03 also has it done. The letter from Nissan said Northeast not Tri-state area. So I assume this may also include NH, Maine, and Vermont, but who knows

And NY sucks
Old 08-21-2006, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by boondoxmax
It includes most of the northeast. (MA, CONN., NY/NJ, PA.)

And NY sucks
OT:
Is that a remark because the Yankees whooped the sox??
Old 08-21-2006, 12:59 PM

OT:
I don't know what your talking about

Or like the soxs sweeps the Mets
Old 08-21-2006, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by boondoxmax
I don't know what your talking about

Or like the soxs sweeps the Mets
nobody cares about the mets
haha
Old 08-21-2006, 02:50 PM

nobody cares about the mets
haha
I am sure the Jets and Giants fall in that catagory too.......
Old 08-21-2006, 05:48 PM

OT:
A historic five game sweep!!
YANKEES RULE!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: My HIDs were stolen, and I have a question