5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Rear Camber Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 07:19 AM
I Know Kwaliti

Rear Camber Alignment

I was in an accident 3 weeks ago and got hit in the rear driver's side wheel. Top of the wheel got pushed in (more negative camber) along with some damage to rear door and quarter-panel. Shop that handled the repair replaced the wheel hub/bearing and the rear beam (axle). When the 4-wheel alignement was done, the wheel was still off for camber showing -1.8 deg (nominal setting is -1.0 deg with max -1.75 deg). I am being picky and want them to be within tolerance. Otherwise, even with visual inspection from side or back, one can notice that the wheel is off with extra negative camber.
Wheels look like this when looking from the rear:
/--------|
I am running stock suspension...

What can be done in my case to correct it? The shop suggested frame alignment to bring it back to spec considering that the axle and hub have been replaced and I'm booked the frame adjustment for later this week... As far as I know there are no other adjustable parts on the rear due to the beam. Are they on the right track? I just want to make sure they are doing the right thing for it... Thanks
Old 08-21-2006, 09:14 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Wouldn't the body shop that did the work be responsible for having the frame straightened. Don't they usually check for that before any repairs are started
Old 08-21-2006, 09:47 AM
I Know Kwaliti

Yes, the shop is responsible for it all...

Here is the update... Just called the shop cause the frame thing just does not make sense and got the following info: frame is fine, but what they will do is they will adjust (bend) the axle beam to make it fit the specs. Some other specialized shop does that on regular basis (apparently a common thing to fix on Ford trucks "i-beam"). Bending is done on alignment machine and is precise. Overall, it comes down to it that the new beam that was put on is not "perfect" and they will need to correct it this way. Go figure...
Old 08-26-2006, 08:04 PM
I Know Kwaliti

Update... The frame/axle shop saw my Max yesterday, and made a conclusion that the rear beam/axle cannot be bent back like on other cars and that I'll need a new one... I went back to the shop that did the replacement, they put in a used axle, and I guess that one is busted too... Originally, the shop had requested a new one to be put on but the request was denied by ins co who had changed it to used... Now, ins co will need to pay for the replacement of this one again and it will likely be a new axle... Stupid-penny-pinching ins co...
Old 08-26-2006, 11:46 PM

Man they are really trying to screw you here. Hope you get your axle fixed right...
Old 08-27-2006, 05:47 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

There are only 2 ppl in the US that can bend our rear axle, but only for toe.
Its too bad that the replacement was out of spec. Ins. co. are funny like that, hopefully your new alxe is mint.
Old 08-27-2006, 07:11 PM
I Know Kwaliti

I hope it will work out OK with the new axle... Our axles are apparently quite sensitive and easily bend... Will know more tomorrow when ins co reopens...
Old 09-05-2006, 07:33 AM
I Know Kwaliti

Update...

Ins co decided to pay for a new one (just under $1K for the parts alone). It was installed on Friday and it aligned perfectly... I put the RSB back on yesterday and it is fully recovered now