5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

need help with this issue.......

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 06:24 PM
2002 maxima se

need help with this issue.......

hello mates
I have had very bad day with my car yesterday evening. I was on my way from las vegas on highway 15, it was 4 hours drive and suddenly my car started acting weird my radio shut down with no power (ABS) and some other dash lights were turned on, and my clock went dim right after a minute my car jerked twice and went dead with no power. i was unable to start the car even though i just had my battery replaced with optima red top, also i had rebuilt alternator 7 months ago. so in this morning i jumped start my car and it did work as normal even pep boys batry and alternator test stated no problem. but i did replace the alternator today with bosch including lifetime warranty on part. now my questions are.... what you guys think it could be if the alternator and battry tests were all fine? what further tests could be done to discover the problem? and do you think having in-dash motorized dvd player can affect the alternator? from my judgment i believe it was the alternator cuz the same thing was happened before but that time my car didnt die completly it did give few signs such as break, abs and battery light, then i had my alternator rebuilt.
so has anyone of you experinced this problem? please help!
Old 08-26-2006, 03:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I would have said alternator, but you said it tested out fine. As for the DVD player causing this, I do not think you have to worry about it.
Old 08-26-2006, 03:16 PM

Let me know if it acts up again.
Old 08-26-2006, 04:30 PM
2002 maxima se

Originally Posted by 1996blackmax
I would have said alternator, but you said it tested out fine. As for the DVD player causing this, I do not think you have to worry about it.
thats what I thought, I just got new alternator installed and i hope it doesnt go bad again. do you think battry or alternator cables can go bad and it can cut down the power?
thanks for your input.
Old 08-26-2006, 04:32 PM
2002 maxima se

Originally Posted by AcerX
Let me know if it acts up again.
I should not go bad again afterall its new alternator, but i am still in little fear for it to become defective.
Old 08-26-2006, 04:47 PM

retest alternator...pos. did you buy a rebuilt one, or did someone at a dealer rebuild yours? either way, a test at autozone is free.
Old 08-26-2006, 05:59 PM
2002 maxima se

Originally Posted by geenowalker
retest alternator...pos. did you buy a rebuilt one, or did someone at a dealer rebuild yours? either way, a test at autozone is free.
i already bought one from pepboys, and i believe it should work fine for several years.
do you know what can cause the alternator to go bad?
Old 08-26-2006, 11:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by OC guy
thats what I thought, I just got new alternator installed and i hope it doesnt go bad again. do you think battry or alternator cables can go bad and it can cut down the power?
thanks for your input.

I guess it's possible, but not where you live. It would not hurt to make sure that all the connections are on there tight.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:32 AM

OC Guy....no I don't know what makes them go bad. Was just offering an additional theory.
Old 08-27-2006, 12:48 PM

Check your grounds. I know in my 98 I30 there was a ground strap under the battery box that was corroded and the car would do weird things like crank slow sometimes.

It doesnt hurt to buy an amp wiring kit at walmart and run some 8 guage from the negative battery terminal to various points on the engine, transmission, and body.