5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Rear deck speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 12:32 PM

Rear deck speakers?

I was thinking about putting extra speakers on the rear deck( in the corners) facing the front of the car. I never liked the rear speakers being in the door panels. anyone try this yet? i would probably have to build the enclosure myself, unless there are universal ones you can buy?
Old 07-25-2006, 01:02 PM

yes i have....

i laid them flat on the rear deck i dropped in 6.5inch to match the doors so i can keep the same insurance plan for all 3 pairs

keep in mind that the back will be louder now then the front so the settings will have to be changed

you need angle drill and tiny jigsaw

ill post pics later tonite if you want
Old 07-25-2006, 01:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Do you have to wirel the additional rear deck speakers separately or can you just jump the signal off the door speakers and split the ohms? I have the Bose system but thought about adding another set to the rear deck, especially since I have set of Polk Audio 6.5" Coax in a box in my basement.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by bvenvert
Do you have to wirel the additional rear deck speakers separately or can you just jump the signal off the door speakers and split the ohms? I have the Bose system but thought about adding another set to the rear deck, especially since I have set of Polk Audio 6.5" Coax in a box in my basement.
i have an amp powering all the highs so i just put 2 pairs in one terminal

not sure how spliting would effect the speakers
Old 07-25-2006, 01:49 PM

heres a few pics of the rear deck and the last one is inside the trunk

Old 07-25-2006, 01:52 PM
aaron lavigne FTG

that looks real good mike. hows it sound?
Old 07-25-2006, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by sickmax
that looks real good mike. hows it sound?
sounds great and LOUD just had to set the balnce +4 in the front so the sound is even throughout
Old 07-25-2006, 01:56 PM

with speakers in rear deck sound way better. used dremel to cut holes. In my case it was PITA sinse I'd used weak cutt off whels. BTW metal is thicker than it seemed to be.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I am in no way a sound system expert, but I believe when you put two speakers on a single output on the amp you effectively cut the ohms by 1/2, so instead of operating each speaker at 4 ohms, you operate each at 2 ohms, but the power amp needs to be able to handle the additional current draw. Otherwise, you can pull more power than the amp can handle and it will shut down or burn up. By running two sets of speakers on a single amp connection, you can effectively double the power output of the amp, assuming it can handle the additional load.

Here is a quick web address that talks about the power doubling that occurs when you run two sets of speakers on a single amp connection:

http://www.carstereo.com/rayfes/ohms.cfm
Old 07-25-2006, 02:36 PM

so in order two install two additional speakers for the rear deck properly, or "safely", they would need their own channels?

this in a way reminds me of when i was in the process of installing my system. i put in my hu first, at 4 ohms, it was powering my bose speakers at 7 or 8 ohms, and i got very little volume.

if an additional pair of channels is needed, do u think it would just sound better if the coaxials were just removed from the rear doors, and placed in the rear deck?
Old 07-25-2006, 03:28 PM

I am in no way a sound system expert, but I believe when you put two speakers on a single output on the amp you effectively cut the ohms by 1/2, so instead of operating each speaker at 4 ohms, you operate each at 2 ohms, but the power amp needs to be able to handle the additional current draw. Otherwise, you can pull more power than the amp can handle and it will shut down or burn up. By running two sets of speakers on a single amp connection, you can effectively double the power output of the amp, assuming it can handle the additional load.

Here is a quick web address that talks about the power doubling that occurs when you run two sets of speakers on a single amp connection:

Or connect them is series for a higher ohm load, safer but not as much power. Best bet is to use a seperate amp.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by misiek
yes i have....

i laid them flat on the rear deck i dropped in 6.5inch to match the doors so i can keep the same insurance plan for all 3 pairs

keep in mind that the back will be louder now then the front so the settings will have to be changed

you need angle drill and tiny jigsaw

ill post pics later tonite if you want
Thanks Misiek, now I know its possible, I just didn't know anyone who did it on a 5th gen. I was contemplating this for months now. Does anyone know a brand that makes speaker grills that match the bose grill, I would like mine to blend in?
Old 07-25-2006, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by ICULookN
Thanks Misiek, now I know its possible, I just didn't know anyone who did it on a 5th gen. I was contemplating this for months now. Does anyone know a brand that makes speaker grills that match the bose grill, I would like mine to blend in?
A guy who attempted this mod @ first told me that he used 4th gen grills off ebay. Sounds good for me but in this case you loose child seat locks
Old 07-25-2006, 05:20 PM

ive done this project too, sound is muchhhhhh louder then with the door speakers. my project isnt nearly as neat as misiek as my speakers arent exactly straight. cutting the metal back there is a ***** but in my eyes, well worth it. i threw in infinity kappa 6x9's back there and they get loud, very loud.

as far as the speaker grills i bought 3rd gen bose covers and used those. that may sound weird, but i work in an extremely bad neighborhood and park my car in some nasty areas. someone walking by a maxima and sees bose in the rear deck will think its stock and move on..........(rather then a shattered rear window and stolen speakers and probably car)
Old 07-25-2006, 07:16 PM

Pics please...
Old 07-25-2006, 07:28 PM

the audio guy told me that by putting 2 speakers in one terminal i am cutting the resistance in 1/2 therefore i am giving each pair more power

i like more power...
Old 07-25-2006, 10:26 PM

Thats exactly what i was thinking, at first i didnt want to mess with the deck metal etc, but that looks really good! looks like my next project

thanks guys!
Old 07-25-2006, 11:39 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

I thought this pic was backwards until I realized "POWER" is being reflected in the grille.

Old 07-26-2006, 03:41 AM

Very nice... I was thinking of doing the same thing, execpt with a pair of small subs.
Old 07-26-2006, 04:35 AM

Does anyone have pics on how the 3/4 gen grills look?
Old 07-26-2006, 06:19 PM
I R The Law

i wish nissan did this to the max instead of having it on the freaking doors.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:05 PM

This is definetly something I am considering doing. I like the way yours turned out ^
Old 08-27-2006, 01:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

This is a very informative post as I was considering the same thing, has anyone successfully put small subs on the deck?

I notice JL Audio does not make a StealthBox for the Maxima, simply want a nice small 10" enclosure, what are other using?

I have a non-bose '02 SE, are the tweeter grills on the A pillars empty? Why doesn't crutchfield offer a speaker/component set utilizing this place? Does the grill simply pop off or do I need to pull the A pillar? TIA.