5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

My GAB quick impressions

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 07:16 AM

My GAB quick impressions

I've performed the popular GAB modification a few days ago. Here are some quick impressions:

The Good:

-Growling intake sound at WOT
-Power was gained at top end

The Bad:

-Some engine response lost at bottom end

At first glance the GAB seems like a worthy modification: For one it is basically free, provides dyno proven power gains and an astonishing intake sound at WOT. The car seems more lively in highway passing maneuvers and surely performs better at the drag strip. What most folks don't seem to talk about is the lost engine response in the lower rpm range (1-3k). This situation is exacerbated in everyday stop/go driving: as engine bay temps climb further response is lost it seems. Perhaps the best way to describe this condition is an impression of a heavier automobile but with a more powerful engine - less nimble off the line but smoother in passing.

To conclude my daily driving requires few visits north of 3 or 4k rpms: Mostly the VQ is torquey enough to out accelerate stop light competition or merge on to the interstate way below it's intended red line. As such, more power 10% of the time at the price of less power 90% of the time does not seem like a viable deal. Discuss.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:53 AM

weird.. i thought the GAB was supposed to keep the low end power.. becuase your discription of driveability sounds like a normal short ram intake.. but then again.. i could be wrong.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:59 AM
VaporHead

It's quoted in a zillion threads that the GAB reduces your low end curve.

Old 09-04-2006, 10:16 AM

I never did the GAB mod, but I did have a JWT intake. I did notice a loss of low end power and after having it for about 2 years, I got rid of it and went back to stock. I use my Maxima as a DD and don't really go north of 3k rpms, unless I'm doing some spirited driving on the back roads (which is almost never). I'd rather sacrifice high end power for the sake of preserving some torque at lower rpms.

Irish had a pretty cool GAB where he drilled holes into the plastic piece holding the filter in place. He basically controlled the extra amount of air going into the airbox by plugging the holes. I'm not sure how much less power was lost in the low end by going with that method.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:22 AM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by frankd121
I never did the GAB mod, but I did have a JWT intake. I did notice a loss of low end power and after having it for about 2 years, I got rid of it and went back to stock. I use my Maxima as a DD and don't really go north of 3k rpms, unless I'm doing some spirited driving on the back roads (which is almost never). I'd rather sacrifice high end power for the sake of preserving some torque at lower rpms.

Irish had a pretty cool GAB where he drilled holes into the plastic piece holding the filter in place. He basically controlled the extra amount of air going into the airbox by plugging the holes. I'm not sure how much less power was lost in the low end by going with that method.
With the drilled method that I used, with 1/2 of the holes open, 1/2 of them plugged the low end was like stock, and there were small mid/high gains, plus "some" growl...

I've used that setup, a regular GAB (full top cut off), Frankencar short ram, and currently Place Racing CAI.

The PR is best overall, but the drilled setup was close...just not as much high gain. The Frankencar and normal GAB both lost some low end and gained some mid-high.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:47 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have my own GAB, which is a normal airbox with a drilled 3" hole in the front. While lower end torque is reduced, it's not noticable at all. In fact, my car growls at 3k rpm now and the Maxima gives me more power than I need.

Old 09-04-2006, 12:07 PM

I have the drilled mod as irish has talked about. So far I like balence of that one the best. I have tried pop chargers, and sri. Both have shortcomming with the holes drilled the low end is still intact but the mid/high ranges definately felt some help. Also it does have a nice mellow growl. I get compliments on it all teh time about the engine sound. Asl oI have no exhaust mods at all so it is all airbox.