5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Need some help please (rattle)

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006 | 09:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Need some help please (rattle)

Ok guys o I have 74,000 miles on my 2K1 SE.

Lately Ive noticed some strange rattling (like something is loose) near the back passenger side. Its hard to say when it happens but it happens almost every time just as I crank the car and it starts up. Almost like the vibration of the engine sets it off (although it doesnt make sense).

Im thinking could it be the muffler or something? I still did not replace anything on the car. I tried kicking the muffle a bit with my foot and it doesnt appear to be terribly loose. What do you guys think? could it be something the muffler is attached to? Any ideas?

Also when Im on the highway I tried to accelerate quickly to see if it would induce the rattle and it did not. Does that mean its def not the exhaust? Ughhh I have no clue when it comes to these things I hope you guys could help me.
Old 09-14-2006 | 12:09 PM

Most likely your heat shield. They start to rattle after awhile. Just about every car I've owned has had that problem. I just usually have it cut off cause you don't really need it.
Old 09-14-2006 | 07:56 PM

On a Maxima, all kinds of rattling is normal.
Old 09-14-2006 | 11:39 PM

no guys this is pretty bad and loud.
Actually today I noticed that it would get louder as I increase the revs quick. So If I step on the gas the rattling increases.
What is a hea shield and where is it located? If you think that is still what it is.
Old 09-15-2006 | 05:32 AM
Lifetime Maxer

Originally Posted by zgrm100
Actually today I noticed that it would get louder as I increase the revs quick. So If I step on the gas the rattling increases.
What is a hea shield and where is it located? If you think that is still what it is.
Yes, that still sounds like the problem. Just lay down and follow your exhaust pipe from front of the car to the muffler. (Wait for the car to cool down after you've driven it) Once under there, grab the exhaust pipe and shake it or bang on it to duplicate the rattle. When you find the heat sheild that's rattling against the pipe, either bend it to increase the clearance, or take it off.
Old 09-15-2006 | 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by zgrm100
You say rear passenger side. Could be the exhaust... From what I have read and personal experience Nissan in general is notorious for the exhaust connectors to go bad. Could also be the Heat Shield... It's an exhaust rattle though, I can almost guarantee it. Just get under there and see. Either or is a cheap quick fix.

Most likely your heat shield. They start to rattle after awhile. Just about every car I've owned has had that problem. I just usually have it cut off cause you don't really need it.
I was at a Toyota Dealer when the Heat Shield on my Toyo Sienna start rattling very badly. They said "you need to change it cause it can cause forest fires"... I just laughed and had them remove it, I hardly ever off road in the Sienna anyways, that's what I have the Max for...
Old 09-16-2006 | 10:53 PM

thanks guys. My friend just called me though after I dropped him off today and said it is the muffler because my car was loud as I was driving off. So I guess I need to change the muffler. Any ideas on good ones out there so I dont get screwed by a shop? How much should I expect to pay for it installed? Thank you guys so much you are the best!
Old 09-17-2006 | 05:03 PM

cat? might be broken up inside. my jeep used to rattle then one day it shot a bunch of really really hot stuff out the muffler and caught my side yard on fire!
Old 09-17-2006 | 05:15 PM
RSG

Originally Posted by boondoxmax
Is it better to replace or remove the heat shields if it is the source of the noise? Will removing it causes heat problem to other components surrounding the header?
Old 09-18-2006 | 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by RSG
Is it better to replace or remove the heat shields if it is the source of the noise? Will removing it causes heat problem to other components surrounding the header?
Heat shields are there primarily to prevent brush fires... Does not hurt you to not have one...
Old 09-18-2006 | 04:52 PM

k guys took it to the mechanic today. Seems like I have a slight hole in the pipe. Im not sure if its near the heat shield but passed the muffler there is a pip that connects to another pipe by screws or something near the junctin, that is wher the leak and crack is.

Also he said it is rattling because the bracket broke. He soldered it back p and still rattling occurs. He said for me to take it to a muffler shop because it seems that my pipe is bent and they will have the tools to unbend it and solder that crack right up. He also said I can change the whole assmebly which would run me about $300 but that I didnt need to do it. What do you guys think?