5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Problem With Manual Climate Control

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 05:26 PM

Problem With Manual Climate Control

My Mother in law has a 2000 Maxima with manual CC and the blower only works on high. If you set it on 1, 2, or 3 nothing happens at all but 4 the highest setting works. Does anyone know what could be causing this?
Old 09-15-2006, 05:51 PM

check the wires in back
i had the same problem with my #1 fan speend
happens i loosened a wire while installing my radio
Old 09-16-2006, 06:46 AM

im not sure what it could be but just in case u can't fix it i got an extra one i can sell u in perfect condition. You should prolly check those wires in the back like Misiek said.
Old 09-16-2006, 07:20 AM

Yea the same thing happend to a buddy of mines maxima. Most likely a loose wire in the back.
Old 09-16-2006, 02:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Most likely it is the resistor pack.
On lower speeds there are resistors in series with the blower motor to slow it down. On highest speed the resistors are bypassed.

The resistor block mounts to the plastic a/c plenum just downstream of the blower. It has 4 wires coming out of it. You can see it, and remove it, from the passenger footwell.

It's possible for it to fail due to corrosion, so maybe replacing it is all you need to do. However, if the replacement fails quickly, then probably your blower is drawing too much current and you might need a new blower motor as well.

A word of advice, the resistors need the air stream from the blower for cooling. If you try to run the blower with the resistors in still air, they will overheat if you run that way for more than just a few seconds.
Old 09-16-2006, 06:32 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess I'll start by removing it tomorrow and checking the wires first.
Old 09-16-2006, 06:40 PM
Banned

might also be the sitch itself. Mine started to "slip" and eventually I had three speeds: off, high, and off. I replaced the switch by taking apart the council control unit and getting a replacement for a whopping $27 from nissan. It was the cheapest part I've ever bought from a stealership.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by imjd
On lower speeds there are resistors in series with the blower motor to slow it down. On highest speed the resistors are bypassed.

The resistor block mounts to the plastic a/c plenum just downstream of the blower. It has 4 wires coming out of it. You can see it, and remove it, from the passenger footwell.

It's possible for it to fail due to corrosion, so maybe replacing it is all you need to do. However, if the replacement fails quickly, then probably your blower is drawing too much current and you might need a new blower motor as well.

A word of advice, the resistors need the air stream from the blower for cooling. If you try to run the blower with the resistors in still air, they will overheat if you run that way for more than just a few seconds.
After some additional research I've narrowed it down to exactly what you suggested. Do you know if I can get to the blower resistor by removing the glove box or do I need to remove the dash? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

that is quite cool.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:33 PM

After some additional research I've narrowed it down to exactly what you suggested. Do you know if I can get to the blower resistor by removing the glove box or do I need to remove the dash? Thanks in advance.
Well, I have an '03 with auto a/c and you said yours is a '00 with the manual a/c. Nonetheless I believe they both have the fan speed control mounted in the same place. (It's not a resistor pack on the auto a/c but they still mount the power controller in the same place.) So the best I can do is to describe what's on my car, but I think it will be similar or identical on yours.

You do not have to remove anything to gain access but you might want a flashlight. Get your head into the passenger side footwell and look up, as if you were looking toward the base of the windshield. Near the far right side of the car, up high behind the glove box and trim panel, you should see the back end of the blower motor. The resistor pack is mounted in the plastic plenum near to the blower and a little toward the firewall. It is about 3" lg and held with two screws at the ends. I don't think there is anything else it could be confused with. Remove the 2 screws and it will come out easily. It should take you about half as long to find it as to read this paragraph!
Old 09-25-2006, 06:07 PM

I will try that tomorrow.^ Thanks for your help imjd!!
Old 12-05-2006, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Dust N Bones
I will try that tomorrow.^ Thanks for your help imjd!!
Was this the problem? I am having the same exact issue with my 2k
Old 12-05-2006, 10:56 PM

yeah, i had the same thing in my 97 maxima, just take out the thing under the glove box and replace it, ur good to go, real easy
Old 12-05-2006, 11:04 PM
Drug Money

It seems like you guys are having problems because your cars are exposed to uber coldness.

Over here where its warmer, we have no issues
Old 12-05-2006, 11:11 PM
I'm a Happy Man!

i guess we can all move to cali to avoid all this little problems.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by MaxBoost925
It seems like you guys are having problems because your cars are exposed to uber coldness.

Over here where its warmer, we have no issues
I hate the cold the only thing it's good for is snowboarding, and I would actually be perfectly content if someone could make a nice ski resort in the tropics with a nice synthetic snow
Old 12-06-2006, 09:04 AM

I believe this problem was inherited from the 4th gen:

http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...2&postcount=31
Old 12-06-2006, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by imjd

What would cause 1/2 of the manual climate control button lights not to function? I have this problem after replacing the OEM CD player.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Whiggy
I believe this problem was inherited from the 4th gen:

http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...2&postcount=31
Thanks gonna try to fix it myself tomorrow, save myself $30
Old 12-07-2006, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by GBAUER
might also be the sitch itself. Mine started to "slip" and eventually I had three speeds: off, high, and off. I replaced the switch by taking apart the council control unit and getting a replacement for a whopping $27 from nissan. It was the cheapest part I've ever bought from a stealership.
Haha when i put in my angel eyes, i didnt know how to get the HID bulb back in, and after 45 minutes I went to the dealership and after a few minutes of convincing, I got them to put it in FOR FREE
Old 12-08-2006, 11:12 PM

Ok so the resistor pack has the little corrosion spot where the soilder used to be, so I tried to put a bead of soilder over the bridge (like repair link says), but I could not get it to stick??? any sugestions
Old 12-09-2006, 04:00 PM

Ok, I fixed it......
I just used the good ol Dremel with a little wire brush attachment (im sure a nail file would have worked fine) and really cleaned up the spot that was burnt, then i put a huge blob of solder connecting ther two bare metal spots.. CONDUCTION....
I just used my multi meter to check the continuity of the board, there are four flat prongs that come out from the board (where the plug goes in)
You should be able to touch one prong with your one lead, and any other prong with the other lead, and get 100% conductance.
when I pulled mine out of the car, the one end prong was not doing this, but after the massive blob of solder, it did.
Put it back in the car and now it works Great..
The best part is I didn't have to give $30 to Nissan to buy a new resistor board......
Old 12-24-2006, 10:08 AM

the last four lights for the buttons that change the posittion of the air flow on my man. cc has gone out. can anyone help me with this pls.