5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

How to clean crankcase using seafoam?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 09:56 AM
no more maxima...

How to clean crankcase using seafoam?

I found the write up how to clean the intake manifold via vacuum line here:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=346574&page=3

However, where is the write up on how to clean the crank case with seafoam? Also where is the write up on how much to add to the gasoline. Whiles were at cleaning different points, are there any other spots to add seafoam to other than the 3 aforementioned areas?

P.S. - I checked the stickies and couldn't find ****.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:13 AM

Well to clean the crankcase i think you just pour about half the bottel into your oil and just let the car run for a little bit. I just did the vacum line one with about half the bottle of seafoam and then just poured the rest of it in the fuel tank.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:25 AM

It should say on the bottle how much, like the Marvel Mystery oil does...I saw it on mine.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:33 AM
no more maxima...

How much fuel did you have when you poured it in the tank. I have heard reports to change your oil no more than 100 miles after you have added it to the oil, so it would only make sense that you had enough "seafomed" gas to cover no more than this 100 miles.

Where are puppetmaster, irishj, emax95 and the other 5th gen knowledgegodz?
Old 09-20-2006, 10:40 AM

I used a 3/4 tank and 1/2 bottle, used the other 1/2 in the vaccum line, drove it for 2-3 miles and changed the oil.....smoked like a bastard...neighbor yelled across the street ...time to sell....my street looked like somone lit off a hundred smoke bombs...
Old 09-20-2006, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by kingrukus
How much fuel did you have when you poured it in the tank. I have heard reports to change your oil no more than 100 miles after you have added it to the oil, so it would only make sense that you had enough "seafomed" gas to cover no more than this 100 miles.

Where are puppetmaster, irishj, emax95 and the other 5th gen knowledgegodz?

The main thing with pouring the seafoam into the oil is to change the oil right after as it thins it out and cleans out the engine and you get sludge in the oil.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:56 PM

changing your oil and adding it to your gas is 2 different concepts. you can add the seafoam to your full gas tank and your engine oil and still drive another 250 miles but recommended that you change your oil after 100 miles=150 more miles of "seafomed" gas to drive on before next fill up
Old 09-20-2006, 03:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

How bad is the smoking really? I've read a lot about the smoking. After this cleaning, would it be the best time to add a Oil Catch can to keep the engine clean of build up? Would make sense.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:10 PM
Need A Light?

However, where is the write up on how to clean the crank case with seafoam? Also where is the write up on how much to add to the gasoline. Whiles were at cleaning different points, are there any other spots to add seafoam to other than the 3 aforementioned areas?

the answer is in the back of the bottle...

you ask alot of questions...for someone whose been on the org for quite a long time....not that it's bad to ask questions...but alot of the stuff yer asking, is complete common sense...especially you been on the org for so long...
Old 09-20-2006, 04:10 PM
Hoooper

to answer the crankcase question, it seems to be the concensus that you go in this order. Gas tank-100mi before oil change, crankcase-50mi before oil change, manifold-20minutes before oil change(basically long enough to get the seafoam out of the engine)

Old 09-20-2006, 07:28 PM
no more maxima...

Originally Posted by steven88
the answer is in the back of the bottle...

you ask alot of questions...for someone whose been on the org for quite a long time....not that it's bad to ask questions...but alot of the stuff yer asking, is complete common sense...especially you been on the org for so long...
I could have been on the .org for 25 years, and I will still ask questions. I rather ask questions and be 100% sure than go fooling around with the car. I dont see how this is common sense...maybe for someone more mechanically inclined.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:34 PM
Need A Light?

I could have been on the .org for 25 years, and I will still ask questions. I rather ask questions and be 100% sure than go fooling around with the car. I dont see how this is common sense...maybe for someone more mechanically inclined.
umm...it's common sense to read...read through the threads...you can search, so use it...read on the back of the bottle? its all over the place...your asking stuff that an elementary kid can answer...but your 24 years old and a 5 year org member, and you still can't figure stuff out?
Old 09-20-2006, 07:37 PM
no more maxima...

umm...it's common sense to read...read through the threads...you can search, so use it...read on the back of the bottle? its all over the place...your asking stuff that an elementary kid can answer...but your 24 years old and a 5 year org member, and you still can't figure stuff out?
How about this? How about you stop answering my threads and pretend I Dont exist. Further more, how about you add me to your ignore list. Go f'uck off.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:40 PM
Need A Light?

How about this? How about you stop answering my threads and pretend I Dont exist. Further more, how about you add me to your ignore list. Go f'uck off.
wow, tsk tsk, temper temper

maybe puppet, irish, aint answering your threads cuz the answers are so obvious
Old 09-20-2006, 07:50 PM
no more maxima...

wow, tsk tsk, temper temper

maybe puppet, irish, aint answering your threads cuz the answers are so obvious
LOL..probably had enough of my foolish questions. Oh well, I shall continue to ask when I cannot find myself.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I've got 2 pairs of 4 ounce gloves (MMA style). I'll let you guys borrow them if you promise to settle this like men and beat some a$$ instead of cyber-bullying each other. You're both GHEY!
Old 09-20-2006, 09:51 PM

kingrukus.......take it from an old fellow canuck......if you've been using the recommended oil and changing it when recommended or earlier and your car is running fine then don't use any additives such as SeaFoam. SeaFoam is nothing more than a mixture of naptha (white gasoline), a light oil and isopropanol (wood alcohol) NONE of which I would put in any crankcase (or the fuel tank for that matter) of any engine that I own. The naptha is great oil DILUTER and "grease CUTTER". Diluting the oil with gas is for being able to crank/start large aircraft engines in the freezing Arctic.... NOT your car. See where I'm going here. It will affect the ability of the oil to lubricate the engine. I've seen the insides of a lot of different engines and when an engine has been maintained in accordance with the owner's manual etc. etc. additives such as SeaFoam are of NO benefit and in my opinion using it is just asking for trouble. SeaFoam by the company's own sales pitch was concocted about 40 plus years ago for cleaning the carbon and varnish out of 2 stroke engines (outboards) which especially 40 years ago did get carboned up just by design (the oil was in the fuel). That's not what you have. Normally, gasoline engines these days are not internally plugged/sludged or varnished up. Most are in fact "clean as a whistle". And high mileage has nothing to do with it..... contaminants are NOT cumulative if you do regular oil changes. I'm not just picking on SeaFoam, some contain varsol for example. That's one of the solvents we use to "clean" engine parts with. With today's oils your engine is already clean. Just make sure the PCV valve is working and the crankcase vent is clear and you'll be fine.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:51 AM

This thread should be in the Fluids and lubrication forum.

Old 09-21-2006, 05:10 AM

So basically your saying he can go buy a Haynes manual and do an engine swpa on his own since the instructions are and any elementry kid can answer and do an engine swap because its in a manual?

Nothing wrong with him clarifying and he indicated he tried to do a search. Any elementry kid can read that.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:35 AM
no more maxima...

Originally Posted by P. Samson
kingrukus.......take it from an old fellow canuck......if you've been using the recommended oil and changing it when recommended or earlier and your car is running fine then don't use any additives such as SeaFoam. SeaFoam is nothing more than a mixture of naptha (white gasoline), a light oil and isopropanol (wood alcohol) NONE of which I would put in any crankcase (or the fuel tank for that matter) of any engine that I own. The naptha is great oil DILUTER and "grease CUTTER". Diluting the oil with gas is for being able to crank/start large aircraft engines in the freezing Arctic.... NOT your car. See where I'm going here. It will affect the ability of the oil to lubricate the engine. I've seen the insides of a lot of different engines and when an engine has been maintained in accordance with the owner's manual etc. etc. additives such as SeaFoam are of NO benefit and in my opinion using it is just asking for trouble. SeaFoam by the company's own sales pitch was concocted about 40 plus years ago for cleaning the carbon and varnish out of 2 stroke engines (outboards) which especially 40 years ago did get carboned up just by design (the oil was in the fuel). That's not what you have. Normally, gasoline engines these days are not internally plugged/sludged or varnished up. Most are in fact "clean as a whistle". And high mileage has nothing to do with it..... contaminants are NOT cumulative if you do regular oil changes. I'm not just picking on SeaFoam, some contain varsol for example. That's one of the solvents we use to "clean" engine parts with. With today's oils your engine is already clean. Just make sure the PCV valve is working and the crankcase vent is clear and you'll be fine.
I have been skeptical about the whole seafoam ordeal, especially when it hit the .org a few years ago. Then there are guys who say they have taken apart their IM a few months after seafoaming and claim that it did absolutely nothing. Whiles I agree somewhat with your theory of regular oil changes keeping everything well and in order, it has been proven by more than a few on here that regardless of how often you change the oil and the quality of oil you use, you still will face massive carbon build ups...this is very obvious around the TB area when you do a regular TB clean. From the sounds of it, it sounds like the top end of the motor would benefit a lot more from a seafoam type clean than the bottom end would, and so with that said, it may not be advisable to add this to the crankcase/gastank after all...just keep it to the IM.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:37 AM
no more maxima...

Originally Posted by TDotMax
So basically your saying he can go buy a Haynes manual and do an engine swpa on his own since the instructions are and any elementry kid can answer and do an engine swap because its in a manual?

Nothing wrong with him clarifying and he indicated he tried to do a search. Any elementry kid can read that.
Don't worry about stephen88, he is trying to look "smart" infront of his maxima peers. Quite honestly I couldn't care less what I look like around here, after all it is a forum that exists in cyberplace that is meant for information, which is fueled by people that I will never meet.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:41 AM
no more maxima...

Originally Posted by Hoooper
to answer the crankcase question, it seems to be the concensus that you go in this order. Gas tank-100mi before oil change, crankcase-50mi before oil change, manifold-20minutes before oil change(basically long enough to get the seafoam out of the engine)
Thanks for clearing this up. I didnt' read this anywhere before on here after my search. Apparently this procedure is common sense though according to stephen88, and if you do not know it, you are pretty much an idiot.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:33 AM

I love making the smoke.....LOL...fun....
Old 09-21-2006, 09:53 AM
Need A Light?

Originally Posted by TDotMax

umm, buying a haynes manual with about a few hundred pages...versus the back of a seafoam bottle that is about a paragraph long....apples to oranges, i would say? not to mention the haynes manual uses MUCH more complex words that is far from what an elementary kid can read...your comparison is invalid due to the fact...u just can't compare the two
Old 09-21-2006, 09:58 AM
Need A Light?

Don't worry about stephen88, he is trying to look "smart" infront of his maxima peers. Quite honestly I couldn't care less what I look like around here, after all it is a forum that exists in cyberplace that is meant for information, which is fueled by people that I will never meet.
not exactly....don't talk about something you don't know
Old 09-21-2006, 10:15 AM
no more maxima...

not exactly....don't talk about something you don't know
Dude, just quit. The minute you tried to invalidate my question because of my age and tenure here, it was obvious that you were to trying to reflect a superiority complex on yourself. Please go take your broken FSTB and stick it up your ***. Mods, please lock this thread and prevent further ramblings from God's most knowledgable 18 year old bursting at the seams with seafoam common sense.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:03 PM
Need A Light?

Dude, just quit. The minute you tried to invalidate my question because of my age and tenure here, it was obvious that you were to trying to reflect a superiority complex on yourself. Please go take your broken FSTB and stick it up your ***. Mods, please lock this thread and prevent further ramblings from God's most knowledgable 18 year old bursting at the seams with seafoam common sense.
maybe you should quit?
Old 09-21-2006, 01:10 PM
Drug Money

maybe you should quit?
Old 09-21-2006, 01:12 PM
Drug Money

Steven88 has a point however, the instructions on how to use the seafoam are ALL OVER the can and ALL OVER the .org. You didn't have to make another thread to learn how to use it, especially if you're a 5 year .org vet, well aparently not a VET.

But please don't play these e-thug games, no one likes them... keke puppetmaster bannded me for a week y0
Old 09-21-2006, 01:23 PM
I R The Law

chill out king, i don't see why you didn't read the back of the bottle first before you posted on here. its pretty obvious that the back of the bottle should be one of the first places to read, then the stickies and if all else fails...the org. man tho e-thugging isn't cool
Old 09-21-2006, 02:04 PM
no more maxima...

Alright cyber thugs, I dont have a bottle of the stuff yet. It is not widely available in canada. Before I purchased it, I wanted to know how to do it. Forget it, I already learned how to from another chap with his steps above. Look at all the teenage thugs run after me now from CA.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:09 PM
I R The Law

wow....are you for reals? calling me a cyber thug, your funny. you've been on the org. twice as long as i have and you can't find a smiple answer and plus you posted this thread in a 5th gen forum when it should have been in the fluids section, how pathetic can you be
Old 09-21-2006, 02:18 PM
no more maxima...

Cyber Thugsta tellin me where to post. Gangster Cali teens.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:46 PM
Drug Money

Cyber Thugsta tellin me where to post. Gangster Cali teens.
IBTL
Old 09-21-2006, 02:51 PM
no more maxima...

Originally Posted by MaxBoost925
IBTL
I think the mods are having fun with this, so that is why they are keeping it open.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:52 PM

hey kingrukus im sorry but im gonna have to side with the law and limsandy. this should be on the fluids and lubricants section. also take some extra time to look a little harder in there. theres plenty of threads about seafoam. just have to go a few pages back.
in a few minutes i already found most of your questions and their answers:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=468928
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=308576&pp=30
Old 09-21-2006, 03:00 PM
no more maxima...

The funny part is I already got my questions answered, and now everyone is sh'itting that its in the wrong section. This post seems to have startled and hurt many of you children.

Now NYC is attacking from the east coast. West Coast nukkaz and east coast nukkaz tryin to run game against a north side nukka. The Law tried to put down, and hiz a'ss got hakk, he got a east coast nukka tryin to blow **** from the back.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:20 PM
I R The Law

lol look who the cyber thugger is.....nukkaz this.....nukka that....what a thug, hes a hardcore Toronto e-thugger, better watch out he might get you with some of their maple syrup in your eyes
Old 09-21-2006, 03:24 PM
no more maxima...

Originally Posted by The Law
lol look who the cyber thugger is.....nukkaz this.....nukka that....what a thug, hes a hardcore Toronto e-thugger, better watch out he might get you with some of their maple syrup in your eyes
watch out before i gat you with my acorn gun.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:25 PM
no more maxima...

Alright children, I am done playing for the day, Ill join you again tomorrow to continue more of this fun if the mods allow.

Quick Reply: How to clean crankcase using seafoam?