5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

radio issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 04:33 PM

radio issues

Last week i took my car in to the dealer because the left audio channel cut out when playing cds. They said it was covered under warranty and the radio would be in this week. I took the car in at 8am and at 4:30 i get a call. The service guy says the radio will not play cds and came from a junkyard He said the warranty company will not pay to reinstall my old radio because it is the responsiblity of the supplier to do that. So for the weekend atleast i have no cd player.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:48 PM

ok first off bs its a very common problem. the problem is a ribbon cable inside the cd player itself is making a bad connection. (over time it gets weaker and starts to get crimped enough to stop touching). you have two options:

1) take apart the radio by the writeup in the stickies and move that cable out a touch so it connects at a new spot

2) buy a new head unit which is what i did. i got a pioneer and it sounds great. even with the stock speakers
Old 09-22-2006, 10:24 PM

that is the same thing that happened to my 6 disk oem changer. I got so damn tired of that happening so i swapped to a indash alpine monitor.
Old 09-23-2006, 03:49 AM

I had the same problem with mine. They replaced my head unit once and then it acted up about a year and a half later. They said it was out of warranty. It definately makes sense that it's a connection, because when the left side cuts out after going over a bump I hit the panel next to the head unit and it works for alittle while. I know there was a poll about this problem. So much for paying extra for a "premium" sound system!
Old 09-23-2006, 06:27 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Car is 3 years old and no problem yet with my Bose. Keeping fingers and toes crossed
Old 09-23-2006, 08:12 AM

i know what the problem was. The tech told me about the tsb. I am just upset that i got a junkyard radio and i am stuck until someone pays the labor to put the old one back in.
Old 09-23-2006, 08:13 AM

Wait a second. They replaced your factory radio with one from a junkyard that was also defective?

#1. I would raise HELL because they replaced your part with a used one from a Junkyard.

#2. I would raise HELL because it's defective.

#3. This is something worth going to consumer affairs about.

Don't open the radio. Don't try to fix anything. Then they'll say you broke it and tampered with it.

Just my opinion.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

wow...quite nice.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:59 PM
dot dot dot ...

Now that you have 15, let's see you were so determined to post...
Old 09-25-2006, 10:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

factory bose is crap, upgrade your unit.

i ripped out my setup, on my 02. installed and overhauled the entire system. new deck, new speakers, amps, subs, everything. running 0 guage to the amps, i even hard wired the front speakers each. so all 4 speakers in the car are running my own 16guage wire. i bypassed all existing factory wiring completely. soon as i'm able to post pics i'll show everything i did. used daltamat all over the trunk and doors
Old 09-26-2006, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by rapidsft
factory bose is crap, upgrade your unit.

i ripped out my setup, on my 02. installed and overhauled the entire system. new deck, new speakers, amps, subs, everything. running 0 guage to the amps, i even hard wired the front speakers each. so all 4 speakers in the car are running my own 16guage wire. i bypassed all existing factory wiring completely. soon as i'm able to post pics i'll show everything i did. used daltamat all over the trunk and doors
yeah i didnt even bother looking for bose because i switched everything out too.... as for the thread starter i would def try to get a new free radio from the dealer again and then when the second one goes again then upgrade to aftermarket
Old 09-26-2006, 06:51 AM
Banned

ok i still have bose unit.....and i was talking to some people and they were saying that an aftermarket radio might not work with my car because of wiring with some of the bose radio's and it would require me to have my car speakers rewired

is this true....i dont want to do the install my self because i really dont have time..but i do have an AM sony radio as well as the antenna adapter, with the factory harness adapter...so could some one give me a quick insight?

and i have most of what im gonna uses to make a full switch...two 12 inchs subs, two amps a 4 channel, and a mono amp. a set of infinity kappa components, a set of infinity 2 ways for the rear speakers, 16 gauge speaker wire, and 0 gauge power wire
Old 09-26-2006, 08:19 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

the metra kit will still allow you to use your stock speakers, search through the audio and electronics forums, you should find the answers you need there.

- Russ
Old 09-26-2006, 05:43 PM

You can put any aftermarket radio on a Bose system, its just a matter of how to properly integrate it. Theres a post by myself in the audio forum, in the Car Audio FAQ sticky, about how to do so.

Trurida, sounds like you have everything you need. Id say ask around, or post in your regional forum, to get some recommendations of good shops in the area, then get some price quotes (assuming you dont want to DIY, which on a system that big might not be a good idea if you dont have any experience).