5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

P0302 (guess what everyone)

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006 | 02:41 PM

P0302 (guess what everyone)

So I am leaving my friends house last night. Start up the car; pop... up comes the service engine soon light. Today after work I went to autozone because they scan codes for free. So as I leave work; what do you know? The SES light disappeared. As you know most likely codes are still stored in the ECU. I get to autozone and up pops P0302 Cylinder 2 misfire. Yes everyone; the source of my engine oil burning. So I came to the conclusion that cylinder 2 has a bad piston ring and oil is getting past that which is fouling up the spark plug and causing it to misfire. In having the car since august 21st I have added about a little over a quart of oil. Every time I check the oil it is between the low mark and high mark. I check it every morning before work on a level surface. Seems to one of the two things could possibly come from this since it is in fact burning oil. A new engine, or they deny the fact and I claim the car as a lemon. I am really pissed off at this point in time. I did not just pay a total of 20,000 dollars to buy a car that burns oil. Hopefully all goes well at the dealership tomorrow morning. I have an extended warranty and I get a free rental car. Also my sunroof is acting up and sometimes it only opens half way and the motor sounds strained and goes slow. At times I get the cold start up rattle noise. The car has an OEM nissan filter on it.
Old 10-10-2006 | 06:57 PM

this logic seems a bit off, cant place my finger on why. is it actually BURNING oil? because if so there is most likely not a misfire. if there was you would be coating the catalyst, which would throw O2 and cat codes like crazy. take the spark plug out to verify. also you may want to install a tube in the spark plug port and run it to a catch can to see if it really is oil getting by. in my experience, given the PCV is operating correctly, the fuel will dilute the oil, therefore raising the oil level. like i said i cant quite pinpoint what is wrong with this logic but here is my thought process.

Furthermore, If this is under warranty they will not want to fix it so make sure you get documentation so that if after the warranty is up they cant tell you that it is something serious with the same symptoms. cover yourself. Make them perform as many tests as you can think of to prove your point. dont let them send you home without a satisfactory diagnosis.
Old 10-10-2006 | 10:14 PM

I'd do what this man suggests. He sounds like he may have been there b4 with the stealership. Make sure you get good documentation. It can't hurt.
Old 10-11-2006 | 02:47 PM

Well I got my car back today; the SES light was not on but they did pull up the P0302 code and they tested the coil pack and spark plug on cylinder 2 and they said it tested fine. So basically I will see how the car is from now on until I go back for my complimentary oil change in the next month. I am thinking of buying 2 or 3 spy cameras and hooking them up to my car to see if they actually check out my car. I am getting skeptical about dealerships.
Old 10-11-2006 | 03:07 PM

so check it yourself. everyone on here will be more than happy to help. I personally can tell you how to test the coils and plugs, and most other things.
Old 10-11-2006 | 03:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

whats your milage?
Old 10-11-2006 | 04:05 PM

46045 is the mileage
Old 10-15-2006 | 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Decoy036SPD
Well I got my car back today; the SES light was not on but they did pull up the P0302 code and they tested the coil pack and spark plug on cylinder 2 and they said it tested fine. So basically I will see how the car is from now on until I go back for my complimentary oil change in the next month. I am thinking of buying 2 or 3 spy cameras and hooking them up to my car to see if they actually check out my car. I am getting skeptical about dealerships.

They probably just cleared the code and let you go without even replacing a coil under warranty. But i would think that your oil burning issue has nothing to do with the coil going. Now it will hopefully come back (that code) and they will probably replace that coil the second time. For your peace of mind you can check that plug. It's the front of the engine on the left so it's easy to take off. Take off the engine cover (hex bolts) and then in front of you there will be 3 coils. Take the one on the left out by removing 10 mil bolt and then unscrew the plug. Then see what it looks like. You can find pictures online with diags on plugs. Just gotta search a bit.
Old 10-15-2006 | 07:39 PM
retired moderator

sounds like you have a stuck PCV valve, which is allowing oil blowby. Fix that first, and see if it solves the problem. If not, then it might have to do with the problems some 3.5s have had (pm soonerfan when he gets un-banned next week)...
Old 10-16-2006 | 05:51 AM

thanks for replying guys. On my old car the PCV was in the WORST possible location. It was under the intake manifold behind the power steering pump above the oil filter housing and next to the knock sensor. any shop you went to would charge at least 3 hours labor to remove all those items (except the intake manifold) and charge more money to add more power steering fluid in. Well on that note I was the only person to ever put a PCV valve in that car without removing anything besides the oil filter. Bless double jointed pliers and my somewhat small hands. I will be removing the PCV valve and cleaning it to begin with then replacing it eventually. As for the SES light. It was already off by the time I got to the dealer but the code was still stored so there was really nothing they could do. I will however go back to them for an oil change and have them fix the TSB for cold start rattle. It happens all the time now on cold start ups. Especially since the weather has dropped to around 35 degrees in the mornings now.
Old 10-16-2006 | 05:57 AM

irish... who is soonerfan and what problems did he have and why should I PM him?