5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

New HU

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 02:46 PM

New HU

This may technically belong in the audio section, but my question is 5th gen specific.

I'm more or less convinced that in order to get the sound quality i'm looking for I need to replace Bose head unit. My main complaint is that i really like the stock lok of the bose head unit with the design matching the climate controls below.
I know there are plenty of brands and designs available, but i was wondering if there are any hu's that you guys think look nice and match the 5th gens interior. I will likely be re-wiring the entire system, and the units i am looking at are mostly in the $180-250 range. I think the alpines look pretty nice, but i was just loking for some other opinions or options.
Also, if you guys with aftermarket hu's would post some pics that would be great!
thanks
Old 10-17-2006, 02:59 PM
is invisible

yup, definitley audio section...plenty of them have 5th gens, and better ideas.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:05 PM

To get the most OEM look, you would have to do something double-din, but that is way out of your budget.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:41 PM
Canepole

You can keep the head unit and replace the speakers w/ an amp. PAC OEM makes an aftermarket plug that connects to the back of the Bose H/U. It gives you 2 pair of RCA cables. I found mine on E-bay for around $50 after shipping.

Old 10-17-2006, 05:30 PM

Be careful with aftermarket radios. I sent my (stock) HU off to be repaired and have been driving around without any radio at all. I've noticed that I cannot control/switch the mpg/dte/mph/temp LCD display. All it will show is temperature. So that indicates to me that there is some dependency on the stock HU for functionality of this display, at least for control from the steering wheel.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Succinct
Be careful with aftermarket radios. I sent my (stock) HU off to be repaired and have been driving around without any radio at all. I've noticed that I cannot control/switch the mpg/dte/mph/temp LCD display. All it will show is temperature. So that indicates to me that there is some dependency on the stock HU for functionality of this display, at least for control from the steering wheel.
That is a simple fix. You just have to ground a certain wire when you install an aftermarket HU. You can also retain the steering wheel controls with an adapter.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:25 PM

I also have been wanting to change mine but make sure it looks good, i don't like the space left over after taking out the bose unit. as i see it the only solution is to get a built in touch screen. even though my broke *** won't be able to afford that for a while, that is all i will settle for.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:56 PM

as i see it the only solution is to get a built in touch screen. even though my broke *** won't be able to afford that for a while, that is all i will settle for.
thats exactly where i'm at

..unless anyone want to post pics of their setups. lol
Old 10-18-2006, 01:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by mattj10
thats exactly where i'm at

..unless anyone want to post pics of their setups. lol
There is a POST UP YOUR HEADUNIT thread somewhere... just gotta search for it.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:22 PM

ok thanks!
Old 10-18-2006, 01:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

lol i tried looking it up for you but I coudlnt' find it for the life of me...
but there are plenty of pics of headunits on the forum for SURE. =)
Old 10-18-2006, 01:46 PM

Its mainly the dash kit thatll make or break your dash. Spend the $90 on the GXE dash kit, with either a Metra or OEM Nissan pocket, and almost any radio can look good. Heres a couple examples.

Eclipse CD8455, Metra pocket, GXE dash kit

Metra dash kit

Neither pic is great, and theyre very different colors because of different cameras, but youll get the idea.

Needless to say, a black head unit, as opposed to silver, looks much better IMO.