5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Weird Idle after TB cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 02:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Weird Idle after TB cleaning

I searched and read that 02 Max have a sensitive TB. So I ordered a kit from BG (with 44K) and used the TB cleaner that comes in the kit. KNowing that BG makes good product, I trusted the cleaner they provided. I cleaned the TB, didnt touch the TB plate but now after cleaning the TB, it idles fairly high around 1k. I drove the car and let all of the liquid burn off and yet it still idle high on a stop light. What could've went wrong? I didn't touch the plate at all yet this problem. Anyone can chime in?
Old 10-22-2006, 02:57 PM

Did you spray inside the TB or did you spray on a rag and toothbrush?
Old 10-22-2006, 02:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I followed the exact directions on the can. I put a piece of rag on the bottom of the TB and sprayed onto it and let the rag catch all of the grime. Rag went from white to black. Then after half of the bottle was used, I had to turn on the car while it idled and spray the rest in short sprays. Suprised how much gunk was there but now a new problem is up.
Old 10-22-2006, 03:23 PM

I'm sure there was a lot of gunk, I need to clean mine one of these days too, maybe next spring. Anyhow, the TB on our cars are super sensitive and no matter what the directions are, one must not spray directly into the TB, problems may arise. Another member sprayed cleaner directly into his TB as well, and I believe his idle was messed up, and the car stalled the first few times, but after a few days, it worked it's way around - if I remember correctly. Anyhow, give it a few days, drive it around some, so it can burn off the rest of the cleaner, and hopefully she'll be alright w/o any other damage.

What's the mileage on your car?
Old 10-22-2006, 03:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Almost 75k. I;m skeptical I might of touched the plate slighty when I pushed the rag in. Isn't there a way we can adjust the idle?
Old 10-22-2006, 03:48 PM
Suspension Yoda

Idle Air Learning Procedure. Check the stickies, they're there for a reason.
Old 10-22-2006, 03:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...&postcount=103

because I'm nice....
Old 10-22-2006, 03:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I did it twice. Still no effect.
Old 10-22-2006, 03:56 PM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by LA02MAX
Too slow buddy
Old 10-22-2006, 04:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I did the 3 procedures then when I start the car after the whole procedure is done, the idle is down to about 750. So I thought okay a little better. So I shut off the car and started it again and back to 1k. Did the whole procedure again and same thign happened again. Not trying the 3rd time because it's obvious what'll happen.
Old 10-22-2006, 04:11 PM

it not going to work, you have to bring it to Nissan to adjust the TB / reset ecu with consult II.
Old 10-22-2006, 04:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Woudl it be covered under warranty? I just bought it 6 months ago.
Old 10-22-2006, 05:09 PM

go to nissan have them do a idle air volume learn with consult2. takes a few minutes. and make sure your car is warmed up before you say the idle is highh.
Old 10-22-2006, 06:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

It was warmed up. I just did about 25 miles of driving and it has taken a significant change, in driving that is. When ever I let go of the gas pedal the car will try to come back to lower rpm as usual but right when I touch the pedal again, the car jerks forward then picks up. It has also picked up some heavy vibration that I feel in the gas pedal.
Old 10-23-2006, 06:04 AM
dot dot dot ...

Leave the ECU unplugged for 35+ hours.
Old 10-27-2006, 05:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

This damn thing is irritating. Drove for 5 days thinking it might be the substance still left in there and it might just burn off. The idle still stays at 1000-1100 in park and 850-900 in drive. And it "kicks" alot now during driving, like when I'm just about to make a complete stop. Also if I let go of the gasto let the RPM's start dropping, and then press on the gas a little, the cars jolts ahead, almost like a bad hesitation by the tranny.

On a side note, I just noticed today that only one of the two pipes on the muffler seems to blow exhaust gases. The other doesn't blow anything at all. WTF does this mean?
Old 10-27-2006, 05:23 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Leave the ECU unplugged for 35+ hours
. .
Old 10-27-2006, 05:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks Nmex. Sorry to add it to my last post that what you said will be my next step since nothing else seems to help. Disconnecting the battery like you said will reset the ECU if I'm not mistaken correct? Also would you know anything about the muffler problem I listed above?
Old 10-27-2006, 05:40 PM
dot dot dot ...

Your muffler problem is not a problem. Mine is the same way. It's basically a dual outlet 'tip' single inlet.

I had the same idle problem after TB clening, searched through numerous threads where the code/problem went away, came back again, went away mysteriously forever. There are the horror stories where some members ended up taking their car to the dealer ony to find that they needed for a new TB and/or ECU for 800$. And there are other stories where indviduals reset it fine with air volume reset procedure, but then the problem came back after the next start.

If couse for us less opulent in the wallet, there were a few which uplugged the ECU overnight and it still did not work. Also one tried unplugging it for 40 hours and it worked fine again.

I did the idle air volume reset, unplugged neg. cable for 15 minutes, 30 minutes, overnight(12hrs) to no success.

Then, I had a long weekend, and left the neg unplugged for ~ 38 hours, and it was just fine after that, hasn't returned since. This was months and months ago.
Old 10-27-2006, 05:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Did you by any chance move the butterfly to cause the problem or did the liquid substance cause the problem?
Old 10-27-2006, 05:52 PM
dot dot dot ...

I moved the butterfly and what not. Not sure what exactly caused it but the next time I clean that b!tch, I'll know what to do in order to get rid of the idle

Some of my searches revealed that some members only sprayed the cleaner in the TB and it caused it this way.

I did the spray only method and my idle was just fine after.

It was when I took it(TB) off and cleaned it thoroughly when I noticed the idle problem.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:04 PM
RR5

First of all, this is how the 2002 was engineered to operate. The throttle plate will be covered in oil because they use a recirculate valve to route uncombusted gasses back into the cylinders.

I had my throttle cleaned, got the high idle, got the code saying so.. tried the accelerator pedal position learn plus throttle valve closed learning AND idle air volume learn which corrected the idle but once the engine was shut off, the problem came back. Dealer wanted $800 or so for a new throttle body which I said hell no and got a used one from the org. Dealer performed the idle air volume learn using Consult II and all was fine.

In a nutshell, using Consult II you can tell the engine what idle RPM speed to maintain and that will be that. I suppose leaving the neg battery cable off for 40 hours will prompt the ECM to recall "defaults" and all will be fine.

Dealer Consult II = cheap, fast and better. Just my opinion.
Old 10-28-2006, 01:35 AM
dot dot dot ...

Autoenginuity & Cipher can do that too.... ...
Old 10-29-2006, 12:05 PM

most times if you clean the TB it will idle slightly rough but biggest problem is stalling (or almost stalling )once you turn on the car unless you rev it.
We perform an idle air relearn with the consult II That has to be done on aa worm engine. It just lets the ECM relearn the volume air going in adjusting the idle.
Now some cars will act funny. Sometimes it won't take not even with the consult so unplugging the MAF sensor while relearning will allow it to start relearning. If the consult won't relearn whatsoever then we replace the TB and it fixes it.
An ECM code related to that could be IAC.
Every ECM reprogram has to have an idle air relearn after or u get a MIL after a month or so.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by NisTech
most times if you clean the TB it will idle slightly rough but biggest problem is stalling (or almost stalling )once you turn on the car unless you rev it.
We perform an idle air relearn with the consult II That has to be done on aa worm engine. It just lets the ECM relearn the volume air going in adjusting the idle.
Now some cars will act funny. Sometimes it won't take not even with the consult so unplugging the MAF sensor while relearning will allow it to start relearning. If the consult won't relearn whatsoever then we replace the TB and it fixes it.
An ECM code related to that could be IAC.
Every ECM reprogram has to have an idle air relearn after or u get a MIL after a month or so.
once you unplug the maf during relearn, car will stall out/shut off. you have to redo the idle air vol learn procedure. it doesnt make it "start" learning. if the car still doesnt do the air learn procedure, your supposed to clean the TB with carb cleaner. if procedure isnt done, MIL light will come on depending on how often you drive. if you dont drive very often, it could take a month. daily driver can come on in 1 week or even a few days. mil light wouldnt mean anything though because you will feel it almost instantly when your car is not properly idling. im assuming you do already know this though. just thought id clarify for everyone on the org thats reading your post.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:41 PM

you are right that car will stall but we do clean TBs everytime we do reprograms, however some times it won't relearn. What i found it works is disconnect the MAF and let it stall while it's trying to relearn then the ECM knows there's something wrong and most of the times the second one it will take. I am talking I will only do that if it won't take it. so i do know that i do have to do it again. If it works easily why would i go to great lengths? -that is to clarify your second sentance.
Oh and there can't be any loads. Pull the E-brake too if you're in Canada so your Daytime running lights go off.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

OK so basically this is what I do?....Turn on car and unplug the MAF Sensor and let it stall then restart car?
Old 10-31-2006, 07:51 PM

IF your idle doesnt go back to normal you could damged the illiack or whatever that sensor in the TB is called that controls idle.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

so far i tried Idle learn, resetting ECU with 44+ hours of battery disconnect...didn't do anything. I'm thinking about getting a slightly used TB.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by JiggaD369
OK so basically this is what I do?....Turn on car and unplug the MAF Sensor and let it stall then restart car?
yes but i am doing with the consult.
Without it you will trigger a mil light on, MAF sensor and you can't clear it...So it won't work for you.
Do you still have warranty?
Old 10-31-2006, 08:39 PM

If I were you (and I am in the same boat), I would have the ECM re-programmed by the dealer - my dealer wants $100 (one hour labor I guess) to reprogram the ECU to the upgraded map [mine is stock 03, so I needed the upgraded firmware] anyways; this will 100% guarantee the ECU recaliberation. Similar to replacing the ECU.

Forget about relearning, etc - just have the entire ECU reflashed by the dealer. Most likely there is nothing wrong with your TB either. I would look into ECU first before adventuring with TB.

I did the same exact this (having recently bought 03 SE and going through the rehabilitation order), mine is coming with SES and the idle is around 1100RPM. I plan to goto the dealer and claim ECU is bad - even though mine is 63K, it should be covered under 8year/70K mile warranty. We will see. if they do not repalce it for free, I will have them reprogrammed it for $100 I guess.

Good luck.

so far i tried Idle learn, resetting ECU with 44+ hours of battery disconnect...didn't do anything. I'm thinking about getting a slightly used TB.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:41 PM

i would just take it in before you buy a TB. We charge .5 of an hour for a relearn. It has to be cheaper than a new TB. Maybe you're not following that procedure right. Do you have all loads off -stereo, AC lights, Did you pull emergency brake off? dome light off? when you tried to relearn?
Old 10-31-2006, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by q45Owner
If I were you (and I am in the same boat), I would have the ECM re-programmed by the dealer - my dealer wants $100 (one hour labor I guess) to reprogram the ECU to the upgraded map [mine is stock 03, so I needed the upgraded firmware] anyways; this will 100% guarantee the ECU recaliberation. Similar to replacing the ECU.

Forget about relearning, etc - just have the entire ECU reflashed by the dealer. Most likely there is nothing wrong with your TB either. I would look into ECU first before adventuring with TB.

I did the same exact this (having recently bought 03 SE and going through the rehabilitation order), mine is coming with SES and the idle is around 1100RPM. I plan to goto the dealer and claim ECU is bad - even though mine is 63K, it should be covered under 8year/70K mile warranty. We will see. if they do not repalce it for free, I will have them reprogrammed it for $100 I guess.

Good luck.
I think the reprogram on our cars is a recall, why would they charge you? They can tell you the warranty claims performed on that vehicle and if it was done you don't have to redo the recall. But charge you for that???
Oh and why it fixed your high RPM is cause when you do a reprogram of ECM software you have to perform an idle relearn so it fixed your problem but it's not your maps.
Mine has already been done by previous owner.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:35 AM
dot dot dot ...

Leave it( - Batt termminal) unplegged for a couple of days.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:19 AM

Understood Nistech - I know new maps will not fix the high idle RPM. I need the new maps (upgraded firmware) anyways (the previous owner did never upgrade the firmware while she had the car). Once I get the ECU upgrade, it will practically be a Virgin ECU (default settings) and my current problem with SES/High Idle RPM will be resolved.

I have 2 questions for you:

1. My car now has 63K, so it is out of 60K powertrain warranty, but it is still under the 8yr/70K essential components warranty under which the ECU should be covered. If I ask them to upgrade the ECU firmware - why would NISSAN cover it? Is it because this is a recall? I thought upgrade firmware was only a TSB - can you confirm?

2. If I go for the line ECU is corrupt [ I have the high RMP idle SES light on] what exactly I should say to get them to cover this under warranty.

Thanks

Originally Posted by NisTech
I think the reprogram on our cars is a recall, why would they charge you? They can tell you the warranty claims performed on that vehicle and if it was done you don't have to redo the recall. But charge you for that???
Oh and why it fixed your high RPM is cause when you do a reprogram of ECM software you have to perform an idle relearn so it fixed your problem but it's not your maps.
Mine has already been done by previous owner.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:59 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Leave it( - Batt termminal) unplegged for a couple of days.
Did that for 44+ hours. Didn't do a thing.
Old 11-02-2006, 03:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Got absolutely the same problem with my 03 Titanium Edition after my shop cleaned TB. So is solution to go to dealer and reprogram it?
Old 11-02-2006, 04:05 PM

here is the definitive answer in this one - I just went thru this:

I took the car after cleaning the TB with the SES light on into the dealership this morning. The tech indicated that "Air Intak relearn" needs to be performed using the Consult II. Once h did it - SES went away, and the RPM came back to normal - car runs excellent.

The tech indicated that they will reprogram the ECU with the newer firmware only when I get the upgraded MAF (newer MAF requires new firmware). The old MAF will not work correctly with the new firmware, so he would not reflash my ECU to the new firmware.

So after TB cleaning - you will need to go for an "Air intake relearn" process. The dealer charged me $89 for this service - I actually asked them to clean the TB anyways; as this is what they charge and as part of the process they make the ECU relearn the intake.

Again; all what you need is "relearn the ECU" to reset it's intake historical data. NISTECH on this board has indicated this before and he is right.

Originally Posted by yyun
Got absolutely the same problem with my 03 Titanium Edition after my shop cleaned TB. So is solution to go to dealer and reprogram it?
Old 11-02-2006, 04:20 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by q45Owner
here is the definitive answer in this one
It doesn't work for everyone.
But is worth a try when you've expended every other method.
http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...31&postcount=9
http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...85&postcount=8

Did that for 44+ hours. Didn't do a thing
Yeah i saw that. .. .. It worked for me.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a offer for a used TB to the upper intake manifold with 28k miles for $150 shipped. I don't know which route to take but since the relearn doesn't work for everyone, buying this makes more sense. Any suggestions guys?

Quick Reply: Weird Idle after TB cleaning