5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

iPod Kits

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 06:08 PM

iPod Kits

Hey, Just wanted to know everyone's self made iPod kits or any that you guys have bought that have worked well. I was thinking about just buyin one of those cheap ones off of ebay, but have heard that the FM transmitters dun work so well, could everyone please show me how their's are and what opinions do you have of those ebay ones.
Old 10-22-2006, 06:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

IMO this is one of the best ones out there:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-UjSsVbJ...man&i=108DP1US
Old 10-23-2006, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
IMO this is one of the best ones out there:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-UjSsVbJ...man&i=108DP1US
Hi Puppetmaster,

How did you connect this in? Are you using an FM modulator or did you go all out and wire it directly to the stereo? I know there are adapters to use the cd-changer connection on the stock bose system.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by jkayca
Hi Puppetmaster,

How did you connect this in? Are you using an FM modulator or did you go all out and wire it directly to the stereo? I know there are adapters to use the cd-changer connection on the stock bose system.
I haven't done it yet, but Soonerfan has. He wired it directly, IIRC. Send him a PM to find out exactly.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:22 AM

Here's what he posted a while back:

Originally Posted by soonerfan
im using the wired FM modulator (in the pic above). its a plug that connects the system directly to the anttenna input. betten them wireless FM modulator or cassete adaptor. on properly encoded songs (AAC) i cant tell the diffirence with a CD
http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...58&postcount=9
Old 10-23-2006, 05:24 AM
Cletus

here it is installed on my car. im using the wired FM modulator (wire from the brains of the system to the antena input on the HU. its the best way to connect it on a stock HU. the sound is great

Old 10-23-2006, 05:30 AM

For my sirius I have the cord running to a second cig lighter plug (from Auto Zone for $5) that I tapped to the back of the factory plug so the wires run under the dash for a clean look, and I can still use my factory dash plug.

here it is installed on my car. im using the wired FM modulator (wire from the brains of the system to the antena input on the HU. its the best way to connect it on a stock HU. the sound is great

Old 10-23-2006, 05:36 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by ryant35
For my sirius I have the cord running to a second cig lighter plug (from Auto Zone for $5) that I tapped to the back of the factory plug so the wires run under the dash for a clean look, and I can still use my factory dash plug.
the drive and play is hard wired to the HU so it comes on with the car. that plug is something else
Old 10-23-2006, 06:24 AM

So if I hard wire the FM modulator to the antenna input will the radio still work? I don't listen to it often but I like to catch the news every once and a while.
Old 10-23-2006, 06:26 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by jkayca
So if I hard wire the FM modulator to the antenna input will the radio still work? I don't listen to it often but I like to catch the news every once and a while.
yes...you get a y-adapter so thee drive and play and radio are plugged in
Old 10-23-2006, 08:37 AM

Thanx soonerfan. I think I know what to put on my Christmas wish list this year.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:48 AM

Sooner - does the ashtray close all the way with that installed? It doesn't look like it would and I'd probably want it to close when the car was parked.

Thanks.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:32 AM

cant ya just get an audio input and plug the ipod in?
Old 10-23-2006, 10:36 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by UGAd13
Sooner - does the ashtray close all the way with that installed? It doesn't look like it would and I'd probably want it to close when the car was parked.

Thanks.
the ashtray is still there (the door part), i just removed the piece that slides in to it. i intalled it in there for a clean look. i drilled a hole in the back of it for the wire. it wont close though with the display in there
Old 10-23-2006, 06:09 PM

maybe i missed someones post, but i cant belive no one thought of this: http://cgi.ebay.com/FOR-NANO-IPOD-TO...QQcmdZViewItem
this is the cheapest easiest method.
Old 10-23-2006, 06:53 PM
♠♠♠♠♠

it's also the worst method. I have one of those, the wires are low quality and half the time I only get sound from one channel. Not to mention it just doesn't sound good. I'd rather listen to the radio than my ipod through that peice of junk
Old 10-23-2006, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by MacGarnicle
it's also the worst method. I have one of those, the wires are low quality and half the time I only get sound from one channel. Not to mention it just doesn't sound good. I'd rather listen to the radio than my ipod through that peice of junk
i didnt say its the best method, just the cheapest, quality isnt great but not terrible if u turn ipod to highest volume and trun ur cars volume to low-med.
maybe the sony tapes are a bit better than the noname ones.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:26 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by super6
maybe i missed someones post, but i cant belive no one thought of this: http://cgi.ebay.com/FOR-NANO-IPOD-TO...QQcmdZViewItem
this is the cheapest easiest method.
those suck...
worst to best
1. FM modulater
2. tape adaptor
3. wired FM modulator (what i have)
4. AUX input (cant do with stock HU)
Old 10-23-2006, 11:22 PM
I'm watching you, boy...

those suck...
best in order
1. FM modulater
2. tape adaptor
3. wired FM modulator (what i have)
4. AUX input (cant do with stock HU)
I humbly disagree...

1. direct connection (hardwired, aftermarket iPod adaptor/cable, etc., depending on HU)
2. auxiliary input (RCA's)
3. tape adaptor
4. wired FM modulator
5. wireless FM modluator

#3 and #4 can vary with the quality of the equipment used. I simply bought an Alpine HU and added the iPod cable to it for $30. However, for the Bose HU, #1 is impossible, but I believe you can do #2 with a PAC adaptor. Not trying to sow dissent, just stating my opinions.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:31 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by SilverGLE
I humbly disagree...

1. direct connection (hardwired, aftermarket iPod adaptor/cable, etc., depending on HU)
2. auxiliary input (RCA's)
3. tape adaptor
4. wired FM modulator
5. wireless FM modluator

#3 and #4 can vary with the quality of the equipment used. I simply bought an Alpine HU and added the iPod cable to it for $30. However, for the Bose HU, #1 is impossible, but I believe you can do #2 with a PAC adaptor. Not trying to sow dissent, just stating my opinions.
you just have the reverse order...mine was actually worse to best. your's is best to worst
Old 10-24-2006, 06:23 AM
I'm watching you, boy...

^ Ah, I see! My bad... I looked at the Drive + Play, but back when I was shoping around it was $200. I'd like to try it out now that it's $100, if I didn't already have an iPod cable.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:01 AM

I just purchased this on ebay. It attaches to the cd/chg port in my existing Bose HU. Better than an FM Modulator.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-bS1YE2G...&pg=2&sortBy=3
Old 10-24-2006, 10:08 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by Ollie
I just purchased this on ebay. It attaches to the cd/chg port in my existing Bose HU. Better than an FM Modulator.

but you have to use the ipod to control everything. i like the drive and play cause the ipod sits in the glove box and doesnt get touched
Old 10-24-2006, 10:25 AM

when i bought my car two years ago i bought an Ipod right away (BTW Happy 5th b-day Ipod!!!)

I went shopiing for a direct connect system and there were none at that time. They only made direct connections for all other manufactures except for Nissan which was kind of odd.

After all the research i did with FM and tape adapters best method is Tape. Its consisten and it will not fade in or out or cretae static like the fm tuners. And if you lived in the boonies you would have to change your fm station frequently beacuse ite will cut out or if you went on long extend road trips.

All and all, tape is the best and DONT buy that overpicered belkin tape adapters!! F'N RIPOFF...just go to your electronics store and buy aSOn or RCa for a fraction of the price.

I have had my tape adapter for two years No problem whatsoever. Just make sure you put your volume on your ipod 3/4's of the way up to enjoy maximized sound

Peace
Old 10-24-2006, 01:50 PM

but you have to use the ipod to control everything. i like the drive and play cause the ipod sits in the glove box and doesnt get touched
Do you get the alternator whine (not sure if that’s the correct term) with the wired FM? With the tape adaptor I use I get it and it's very noticeable when accelerating.

Thanks.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:17 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by UGAd13
Do you get the alternator whine (not sure if that’s the correct term) with the wired FM? With the tape adaptor I use I get it and it's very noticeable when accelerating.

Thanks.
i know what you mean and its a lot less noticeable with the wired connection
Old 10-24-2006, 10:40 PM
大陆弟弟

Do those work for 5.5gens?
Old 10-25-2006, 05:04 AM

I have one simular to this. If you have the factory HU, this one is perfect. If you have an amp and subs hooked up to the factory deck, you can increase the signal with a Pheonix Gold Line Driver. A good freind of mine has a system and had his hooked up thru the CD changer controls. For some reason the signal was not strong, so he boosted it with the Line Driver. The sound was fantastic. Also, if you are getting "engine noise", look for a better ground.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by n3985
No. Instead of the CD changer we got the in-dash 6 disk.
Go to Crutchfields site. It's pretty helpful.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:40 AM

Nope - you can set it 'direct' mode which you control the artist, genre, etc. via the Ipod - but your fast forward and skip works via the steering wheel or HU controls.

In 'playlist' mode - you can set up to 5 playlists (which is controlled by the HU's disk number 1-6) and then you scan button works along with all the other controls on your HU.

Then not only does the USA Spec have a dock connector cable for your Ipod but it also has two RCA Aux In's. You can opporate both at the same time and use the Aux In's for satilite,DVD audio etc. To access the Aux, you just change to Disc 6 on the HU.

I am looking at adding a Scosche Blue Tooth adapter to the Aux In's for my cell.

Note: You need to have the CD/CHG button on your Bose - and if you have a cd changer, that'll have to be disconnected.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by n3985
It say's it does on the box....again, this is provided you have the optional external 6 disc cd changer and have a CD/CHG button.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:51 AM

Nope - you can set it 'direct' mode which you control the artist, genre, etc. via the Ipod - but your fast forward and skip works via the steering wheel or HU controls.

In 'playlist' mode - you can set up to 5 playlists (which is controlled by the HU's disk number 1-6) and then you scan button works along with all the other controls on your HU.

Then not only does the USA Spec have a dock connector cable for your Ipod but it also has two RCA Aux In's. You can opporate both at the same time and use the Aux In's for satilite,DVD audio etc. To access the Aux, you just change to Disc 6 on the HU.

I am looking at adding a Scosche Blue Tooth adapter to the Aux In's for my cell.
Note: You need to have the CD/CHG button on your Bose - and if you have a cd changer, that'll have to be disconnected.
Wao., this is truly the BEST solution now if the price was just a tad bit better.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by rmd0311
Wao., this is truly the BEST solution now if the price was just a tad bit better.
$115.95 - steroforless on e-bay---oh and shipped.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:56 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Right now I've got the Griffin Road Trip http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/roadtrip/
and it works pretty well. But, I think I might have to change up to the adapter posted above. Thats awesome! AND!!! I can use my steering wheel controls? Even better!
Old 10-30-2006, 10:58 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

It is really up to how much work and money you want to put into it. i recently had one of the direct fm/cigarette lighter adapter and it worked good other than it takes a few db's off compared to cd quality. The hardwired drive and play is more wiring but the quality is better. the tape deck adapter is a cheaper and cheaper sounding way.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:30 PM
Mauja He Mauja

I installed the Kenwood IP500. Even though Kenwood rep said it would not fit my KDC-9015, it works great. I will move the connector to the ash-tray in spring...IMHO, FM transmitters are crappy...
Old 03-02-2007, 08:34 PM

So Does the USA SPEC ipod adapter Found Here display anything on the HU's display?
Old 03-03-2007, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by GhettoMAX
So Does the USA SPEC ipod adapter Found Here display anything on the HU's display?
I actually installed the USA Spec thing today. So far its great. I can change tracks and volume using the Radio Controls... and is all tucked away. I ran the cable under the shifter console and to the back, so it comes out by where the Heated Seats buttons are.

The sound is amazing, just like a CD and its a non cluttered solution.
Old 03-04-2007, 01:32 PM

I actually installed the USA Spec thing today. So far its great. I can change tracks and volume using the Radio Controls... and is all tucked away. I ran the cable under the shifter console and to the back, so it comes out by where the Heated Seats buttons are.

The sound is amazing, just like a CD and its a non cluttered solution.
Do you have any pics of how you routed the wiring/where the cable exits?

Thanks.
Old 03-04-2007, 02:06 PM
Time2go!

4. AUX input (cant do with stock HU) WRONG

Oh Yes you can..... I did it!
If you install a JL Clean Sweep it allows your HU have to RCA outputs and and AUX imput. (Perfect for....iPOD) Also add Amps to you factory HU and your dash looks factory and stealth.

Check it out: http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_c...php?page_id=79

Quick Reply: iPod Kits