5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Is this a good deal? (Used loaded 2k3 6pd w/ 53K)

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 10:33 AM
Luvs his Max

Is this a good deal? (Used loaded 2k3 6pd w/ 53K)

I've been looking for a Used, Charcoal Gray, 2k2 or 2k3 6spd w/ leather and all the options with avg miles (around 60k) for a month now. I FINALLY found one (at a dealer across the street if you can beleive it) and the sticker on it is $16.995.

The BB on this car w/ all of these options in Excellent Condition is about $17,225. I called the dealer to let him know i was interested and schedule to come in and see it tonight, and, before we got off the phone he says:

"I'm suppose to tell you that we work from the internet price. It's a "prediscounted" price. The BB Value is 17,225 and it's been prediscounted to $16,995 already".

Really? A whole $230? Wow. Ok, well i know it's not going to be the FINAL price (at least if they think that i'm walking out even though it's my dream max). But, what should i be looking to buy this car at? What would be a good FINAL price to shoot for?

I've looked this car up on every Blue Book type site everywhere and 17k is about avg for this car w/ these options: Leather, Bose, Power everything, 50k miles, excellent condition, 6spd, all stock parts, well maintained, no known issues and minor body wear....

...so, is 15k a lowball? should i start at 15K and hope to be at 16? I see these cars going on the .org for 14,000 + crazy sweet mods, but...this isn't a private sale...

Thanks in advance for your help. I want this CAR!
Old 10-23-2006, 10:38 AM
Cletus

i think thats high. i paid that for almost the exact same 02 about a year ago. and my car had less miles on it (around 52K)
Old 10-23-2006, 10:41 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I paid 16.7k for my 2002 6-speed with 29k miles on it over 2 years ago...you definitely need to talk it down to 15...
Old 10-23-2006, 10:55 AM

That sounds a little high, depends on the condition
I just bought mine in August for $17,500. it is an IMMACULATE 2003 6spd Black/black leather, loaded with the meridian package, the titanium package, HLSD, and had only 21K miles on it.
For yours, I would take say maybe $15.5K to $16K if in really good condition.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:10 AM
Luvs his Max

Yeah so that sounds about right for a dealer "sticker" price then, assuming the condition is actually "excellent". I'm going to see the car for the first time tonight at 6 so i'll decide then.

dont know about HID but i think that comes std in the 2003 SE no? How do i tell when i'm there? It does have the meridian and it's Frost Leather (which i like)...

Also, one thing i just noticed in the listing is that it says "Comes w/ Warranty!". I bet ya this is factored in the price and i can probably tell them to keep their crappy warranty and save $1,000 or so.

One last question. A lot of places say that you should tell the dealer that the deal is riding on a "checkout" from your mechanic. I dont have a mechanic in the area so do you think it's worth the hassle to try to find a shop, schedule an inspection, etc etc...or is there a few checkpoints i can look for in the engine/undercarriage? It's only got 53K and it's got a clean CarFax, i can't imagine it's too beat up... I at least want to "look" like i know what i'm doing so i can show the dealer i know my sh*t and i wont be forked over....maybe just fill me in on how to check for HID and a thing or two more... sounds risky, but i really want this car and i dont want someone else to come in and swoop it up...

Thanks again everyone (oh, and Mr. Gay.. if you're gunna post ****, please don't use any more of your personal collection....)
Old 10-23-2006, 11:15 AM

lol about the warranty, they're probably talking about the 7k left on the factory powertrain warranty....and what did I miss with the whole ban thing?

EDIT: nm, it was f'in :nart:
Old 10-23-2006, 11:21 AM
Play with my balls

How about mine stock for 14.5k? Completely loaded without navi.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=496497
Old 10-23-2006, 11:38 AM
Luvs his Max

I sent you a PM, thanks for the offer. I am still looking for advice on this subject as well..

and yeah, you're probably right about the powertrain warranty. Lame.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:02 PM

thats a very high price man. Keep looking and have patience. I paid $14,200 for my '03 this past August and it had 48k miles. It even had a 6 inch Clarion touch screen and it was also a 6spd. Keep looking
Old 10-23-2006, 01:09 PM
Luvs his Max

unfortunately, i've put myself in a position where i can't really have patience. My car is due for inspection this month and in order for it to pass i need to buy AT LEAST an o2 sensor. So after that, inspection, registration, oil change, winter tire swap, etc...i'm looking at $600-$800. And that doesn't solve the fact that i need a new clutch (quoted at $1000) and a new Exhaust (Currently the midpipe is welded/patched to the muffler so the Dealer won't laugh at me when i drive on the lot w/ it). It also needs a new starter before the cold sets in...cosmetic work...etc..etc....

So, rather than spend alllll that cash just to get this thing driveable for the Winter, only to have something REAL expensive (Timing Belt, etc) go at 200k seems rather foolish.

So, hopefully i can work out a good deal with this guy, if not, then yeah, i'll have to keep looking...but do you know how hard it is to find a loaded 6spd w/ all the options and avg miles that's also under 15k? Very...

So yeah, a little impatience has set in too, mostly because i can't wait to spin around in a new ride... so, anything you can suggest to get me the best deal for THIS car, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the reference points on what you all paid. Assuming they were from Dealers and not Private Sales, i'm hoping to get them to 15k.

wish me luck... (i'll post back tomorrow w/ or w/o the P&S Agreement)
Old 10-23-2006, 01:22 PM

I paid 17K in April for my 2K3 SE 6M loaded other than Navi. 40K miles

Honestly, if it's the car you want, who cares about $1000? That's $20/month to get the exact car you want....big deal.

Buy it and love it!
Old 10-23-2006, 01:28 PM

Mine was a private sale.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

This might be a useful comparison

I bought a 2k2 maxima earlier this year with 56K miles and loaded. It's an automatic, but in excellent condition. I paid 13.7K (15K out the door, which was my bottom line).
Old 10-23-2006, 01:31 PM

gotta be patient..though for 16.500 I think it would be worth it for such a low mileage car.

I bought my car last year (around the same time) for $17500. It had 14,500 miles on it at the time of purchase. It was a FULLY loaded 6speed with all options (including HLSD) except for the navigation system..but you don't want that anyways..it's CD based FTL. It was a rare color also (polished titanium). Anyways, mine also came with the stillen front/rear lips, paradox rear spoiler, and ventshade ventvisors included with that price. Overall condition was GREAT except for a couple of dings and scrapes on both bumpers (it was previously a NYC car). I looked for a good 3 months before I finally found this one and have not looked BACK or had ANY regrets.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by jdialc
I bought a 2k2 maxima earlier this year with 56K miles and loaded. It's an automatic, but in excellent condition. I paid 13.7K (15K out the door, which was my bottom line).
6speed is more $$ than an auto max...it's hard to find a maxima in 6speed let alone with HLSD.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:36 PM

Price doesn't sound to bad
Old 10-23-2006, 02:04 PM

I was looking like 3 months ago. That sounds about right. Get it down to $16.5 or $16 but don't let it get away for a few hundred bucks, especially if you are financing. $500 dollars is like $10 a month.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:15 PM

how far are you willing to drive, i searched for a maxima around your area, there's a 2003 max with 41,000 miles for $14,888. but it's around 200 miles from Manchester, NH, here's the link

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...=1&cardist=213
Old 10-23-2006, 04:09 PM
Luvs his Max

Well, i just got back from my test drive and negotiations with the Dealer... here's the lowdown. This is the car i'm looking at:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...ag=1&cardist=0

It's NOT Charcoal Gray but it's not Silver Mist either... i THINK it's Polished Titanium but i thought that only came w/ the TE? No HLSD (at least not that i could tell). There were no markings on it that said TE. No Maxima floor mats...etc..

Well, we took it for a test drive and, it was everything i hoped it would be, what a solid, smooth, sweet @$$ ride!

So we get to talkin, and they test drive my car...they were not impressed (the clutch is completely gone...and it's just in bad shape generally). So, i owe $3300 on my car and MAYBE it's worth $2000...so, i tell them if they can pay off my car (which my financing is contingent of) i'll buy the car at sticket ($16,995). They came back and said they'd give me $3000.... i think i can jimmy them down to 17k even for everything (Car, Trade, those BS "administrative fees" and title ($137 on the top...whatever)... so....

The car "Seems" to be fine, but i can't be sure just by driving it on the backroad for 5 minutes... Falken Tires, no chips/dings/dents/marks that i could tell, but then again it is night time.

So, i put a deposit down and i'm going to call my Credit Union tomorrow to see if i can still get the same rate on 17k @ 72 months (i was preapproved for 15k @ 60months for 7%)...

I want to know exactly what i'm buying because these chumps sell Acura's all day and this is the only Max on their lot. How can i tell what it has for options, color, etc? Is this deal a good one given my situation? I figure they basically came down to about 16k for the car.....

I await your advice.. and i'm gunna see what i can find out w/ this VIN...
Old 10-23-2006, 04:35 PM

I paid 13,800 for mine. Base SE Auto in PERFECT condition. Not even a single scratch on the entire car, garage kept beauty with 55K on her.

They had mine marked for 15,900 on the sticker and I really didnt think that I would get it down that low. But I bothered them for 3 days about the price and got it down. I wish it was a Manual but....Oh well. I just wanted a Maxima real bad. I looked at a few and all had problems (paint, condition, miles, price) I couldnt pass up this one in the conditon it was in, even if it was AUTO.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:41 PM
Luvs his Max

Ok, so i figure it IS a TE because of the color/rims/interior dash (it also had silvery like gauges which i thought the stock SE had white)..so these all lead me to beleive that it's a TE...

As far as HLSD, i now realize this is not HID (the lights..duh) but a Limited Slip.. So, i read that you can grab the other sets of #'s off the sticker under the hood and can cross reference that to find out more info.

Well, i think i'll have to do just that. Now i just gotta find a mechanic who i can trust to look at this bad biatch..

Any other suggestions before i go nuts tomorrow?

THank you!
Old 10-23-2006, 04:55 PM

Whats TE??
Old 10-23-2006, 04:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

not bad..just bought mine 2 months ago for 15.9 in excellent cond. 6sp MT loaded w/o navi.w 47k and full bumper bumper warrenty till 2010..but just 1k more id go for it. especially if thats the one u want. g/luck
Old 10-23-2006, 05:36 PM
Pointy Elbows

Originally Posted by twitch579
Whats TE??
TE = Titanium Edition
Old 10-23-2006, 05:39 PM

Just bought my 2003 6-speed with HLSD, leather, seat memory, etc, etc (I think it's only lacking Nav) last month. It had 69,500 miles on it and was in very good-to-excellent condition with a clean carfax and brand-new tires. He was asking $13,995 and I made a deal for $13,450, which may have been too much, but it's very rare, I nailed it the Monday it went on sale, and was exactly what I wanted.

It needed a new right rear wheel bearing ($125 parts, plus 2 hours of my labor), plus it will need brakes next Spring. It also had the moonroof-that-wouldn't-seal, which was cured by a couple of $3 shims and 15 minutes.

Just another data point for you. Oh, this was in the Washington DC area.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:56 PM
Pointy Elbows

Originally Posted by Succinct
Just bought my 2003 6-speed with HLSD, leather, seat memory, etc, etc (I think it's only lacking Nav) last month. It had 69,500 miles on it and was in very good-to-excellent condition with a clean carfax and brand-new tires. He was asking $13,995 and I made a deal for $13,450, which may have been too much, but it's very rare, I nailed it the Monday it went on sale, and was exactly what I wanted.

It needed a new right rear wheel bearing ($125 parts, plus 2 hours of my labor), plus it will need brakes next Spring. It also had the moonroof-that-wouldn't-seal, which was cured by a couple of $3 shims and 15 minutes.

Just another data point for you. Oh, this was in the Washington DC area.
Wow, that was a pretty good deal IMO.
Old 10-23-2006, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by 00MaxSE
Wow, that was a pretty good deal IMO.
Thanks! Well, it was from a dealer, and he had just listed it, so I felt it was a "fair" deal anyway, considering the options and rarity of the HLSD (which the dealer apparently didn't know about).

It had a real bad noise in the rear that I was afraid was the tires or the wheel bearing, and the brakes will need attention in about 10,000 miles (I drive mostly highway). Fortunately the noise was just a wheel bearing that I could replace myself.

The Blose radio also had no display nor would it play CDs, but the dealer has pledged to get me a working radio. Nice dealer, IMHO!
Old 10-23-2006, 10:05 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I bought my 03 gle max in mid august this year from a private party. Paid 16 g for it a lil bit on the expensive side but it has all the options except nav and only had 36 k on it.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by Narrator
Ok, so i figure it IS a TE because of the color/rims/interior dash (it also had silvery like gauges which i thought the stock SE had white)..so these all lead me to beleive that it's a TE...
all SE's have the silvery gauges..you're mistaking the white gauges for the OLD 2000-2001 SE's. To see if it's the titanium edition...easy way is to look at the shift boot and the steering wheel to see if it has the silver/titanium colored STITCHING. Also...Titanium editions came with compasses in the rear view mirror. They also came with kick plates that say MAXIMA on them (door sills).

The door handles are titanium colored also. If you look at the stock rims...they have a polished finish.
did the car look like this color?

That's my car..and it's a POLISHED titanium color.
this color is SHEER SILVER (rbrown81's old car)

As far as HLSD, i now realize this is not HID (the lights..duh) but a Limited Slip.. So, i read that you can grab the other sets of #'s off the sticker under the hood and can cross reference that to find out more info.
you can also see if it has these pedals. It's not 100% accurate but it's a good clue to see if you have HLSD or not. If it has them they PROBABLY have HLSD. Just understand that the previous owner could've put them on himself..so it's just a guideline.

Any other suggestions before i go nuts tomorrow?

THank you!
GOOD LUCK! I think easiest way to tell if it's the titanium edition is to see if the rearview mirror has the electronic compass in it...
Old 10-24-2006, 04:46 AM

Bought my '03 SE loaded w/all options including Nav w/33K miles for $16.5k in Aug. Car was immaculate/owned by a Nissan mechanic. Also got 3 extra sets of wheels and tires and some other parts worth ~$1.5k-$2.0k so I netting those out, I paid about ~$14.5k-$15.0k for the car.

The price on the one you are looking at is a little high but supply and demand is in effect here. If it is too high for you, plan on spending alot more time looking at cars, when you can find them. A nice 6 spd is hard to find...as you have found out.

BTW, here is all the marketing info direct from Nissan on your future purchase. The links in the upper right corner of the page give add'l info...like option pkg info, specs, etc.

http://www.nissannews.com/site_libra...ma/index.shtml

Good luck!
Old 10-24-2006, 04:47 AM
Luvs his Max

Ok, it's definitely the TE. It's got the Silver Kick Plates, the Drilled Pedals and it's the polished titanium w/ the high finish rims. Everything is stock (MAF, corners, emblems, etc) so i highly doubt the previous owner went through all that trouble. I didn't notice the compass in the rearview, but i wasn't really looking either. So i'm assuming TE's come standard w/ HLSD?

i'm gunna have it drivin to a mechanic today and have it gone through soup to nuts...The mechanic is going to run through it like he always does w/ used cars as i dont know him from a hole in the wall so.... is there anything in specific i should have him take a look at w/ the '03 6spd or just Max's in general? Oil Leaking i hear is a big prob but where should he look? Stuff like this would be very very helpful.

Glad to be a .org'r...woot!
Old 10-24-2006, 05:10 AM

Just my 2 cent, i bought last week a 6sp 2k3 57K miles silver grey(i think it is, the car is some kind of darker silver) everything (leather, memory seats, bose,HLSD...) except meridian at a nissan dealer in montreal for 17K$CAN(about 15K$US) It had the best paint condition of the bunch of of 6sp MAx I could find on the quebec market(most of these already have rust in the rear wheel wells due to the salt usage on the road in winter, and there are not many manual max for sale in quebec(could find about 5 of them during the last 2 weeks, I had to buy quick cause the wife is starting to work again after taking care of the kids for 4 years) and is driving like a charm, there is an O2 sensor that the dealer has to change(this week) but it does not seem to hinder its performance (and there are no emission test in quebec) so except for the ses light due to that it is great and I'm very happy with the difference in power with my other car (an outback 2004, wife has it now).
So the price seems a bit high (about a 1000$ )to me but i do not know the car market value of the states maybe it is a bit higher.
Old 10-24-2006, 05:22 AM

Btw As I cannot post new thread (only 2 post) is there a way i can identify the type of color of my car and packages because I cannot find which edition it is. If it is the TE should it have a badge somewhere (the car is canadian).
It is some kind of darker silver, it has black leather inside, memory seats, heated steering wheel and mirrors, sunroof, bose, drilled pedals, HLSD, electric passenger seat, side airbags, compass in mirror (which is also auto dimming)
Old 10-24-2006, 05:28 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by Porkepik
Btw As I cannot post new thread (only 2 post) is there a way i can identify the type of color of my car and packages because I cannot find which edition it is. If it is the TE should it have a badge somewhere (the car is canadian).
It is some kind of darker silver, it has black leather inside, memory seats, heated steering wheel and mirrors, sunroof, bose, drilled pedals, HLSD, electric passenger seat, side airbags, compass in mirror (which is also auto dimming)
darker silver is probably Gray Lustre.

is this it?

Old 10-24-2006, 06:29 AM

no it seems lighter thsi is the car in question
Old 10-24-2006, 06:33 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by Porkepik
no it seems lighter thsi is the car in question
thats sheer silver...and those dont look like TE wheels
Old 10-24-2006, 06:48 AM

Ok, it's definitely the TE. It's got the Silver Kick Plates, the Drilled Pedals and it's the polished titanium w/ the high finish rims. Everything is stock (MAF, corners, emblems, etc) so i highly doubt the previous owner went through all that trouble. I didn't notice the compass in the rearview, but i wasn't really looking either. So i'm assuming TE's come standard w/ HLSD?

i'm gunna have it drivin to a mechanic today and have it gone through soup to nuts...The mechanic is going to run through it like he always does w/ used cars as i dont know him from a hole in the wall so.... is there anything in specific i should have him take a look at w/ the '03 6spd or just Max's in general? Oil Leaking i hear is a big prob but where should he look? Stuff like this would be very very helpful.

Glad to be a .org'r...woot!
not all TE's come with HLSD. HLSD is a seperate option by itself.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:48 AM

Drilled pedals are indicative of HLSD - unless the previous owner has changed them out with aftermarket drilled pedals. You can confirm whether it has HLSD by looking at the "tranny code" on the metal plate on the firewall in the engine compartment -- if it is code RS6F51H, then you have the HLSD.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....highlight=vlsd

My car is a slightly darker color silver (sterling mist) than what I'll call traditional silver (sheer silver). See my sig for the sterling mist color. The paint color is also listed on the metal plate on the firewall. It will be a 3 digit alphanumeric - sterling mist is KT3. A listing of paint colors can be found here:

http://www.courtesyparts.com/paint/maxima.html

To find out what packages you have on your car, check out the link to the Nissan website I listed 9 posts ago. It is the original marketing materials from their website back in '03 that spells out all the packages (Titanium & Meridian) and options (sunroof, HLSD, nav, leather) that they offered on the '03 SE. Heated seats/steering wheel/mirrors indicates Meridian package, silver kick plates/compass in mirror/polished wheels indicate Titanium package.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:52 AM

That looks like sterling mist (like my car) and it is hard to tell on the wheels but they do look like the TE wheels...silver kickplates and compass mirror will be an obvious giveaway of whether it has the TE package.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:55 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by Maxfli
That looks like sterling mist (like my car) and it is hard to tell on the wheels but they do look like the TE wheels...silver kickplates and compass mirror will be an obvious giveaway of whether it has the TE package.
thats not sterling mist...my 00 was so i know the color

Quick Reply: Is this a good deal? (Used loaded 2k3 6pd w/ 53K)