5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

New Horn ...

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by SonGouko
Well I have seen all the horns here those super tones suck.
$500 for train horns nnnaaaahhh.. go with these.. I have 2 of them installed and wired into my alarm. so yes 6 horns one set directly in the engine bay and the next in the front grill btwn Raditor and front bumper will take pics and post shortly. Go with these.. they are loud trust me.
http://www.truckcustomizers.com/prod...HLA261.2A.html
I'd love to see some pics, thanks!
Old 10-25-2006, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by MaxVice4
A guy I knew put a train horn on his truck... I drove by and he honked that bad boy and i almost **** myself ... lol just get one of those.
That would be cool, only if I had something like that the last time I was cut off big time.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:16 PM
Pointy Elbows

Originally Posted by Mints33
Anyone have a sound clip of the Hella Supertone horns? I found the Fiamm Freeway blasters at O'Reilly's last night for 14.99 each, so for under 32 bucks out the door, I gave her a try. She's installed and sounds somewhat better than stock, however it could be louder and deeper.
There's a sound clip floating around somewhere. The Hellas will be louder, but certainly not deeper. They're kinda high pitched when compared to American cars.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:26 PM

Yeah, check out post #33, it's a link to a sound clip of the Hellas, not what I thought it would sound like, but louder than the Fiamms for sure. Then again, the Fiamms were half the price and available locally, and they're already installed. Only if there were something w/ the annoyance of the Hella but w/ a MUCH deeper tone. I would be all over that ... Until then, I'll have to play around w/ the Fiamms.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:33 PM

My friggin inconsiderate high-school-girl next door neighbors (or some friends of theirs) just got a new-gen Mustang. My wife and I had just tucked the kids in bed tonight when the neighbors pulled in their driveway and hit their horn tonight (to say hi to their high school friends a few houses over) like they were the only inhabitants of this neighborhood.

I took note of how these self-centered inconsiderate **** have about the loudest OEM horn I've ever heard. So - I'm going to the Ford dealer this weekend and ordering whatever horns those new Mustangs come with.

Oh, and then I'm laying on the horn as I peel out of my cul-de-sac very early every Saturday and Sunday morning....
Old 10-25-2006, 07:40 PM

I know what you mean, I have a high school student neighbor next door, and every frickin' morning, her friends come to pick her up, and they need to hit the horn like 3 times. Get out of the car and ring the stinkin' door bell OR since you know your friends are coming, be ready before they get there. Oh, and her driveway is right by my bedroom window. Like you, I want to drive by Sat and Sun morning and lay on the horn, but the neighbor on the other side of me has a 1 year old, I'm sure they wouldn't appreciate that very much.

Maybe those dipsticks have an aftermarket horn? If not, let me know how they turn out, I wouldn't mind having something deeper and louder ...
Old 10-26-2006, 04:08 AM

I know what you mean, I have a high school student neighbor next door, and every frickin' morning, her friends come to pick her up, and they need to hit the horn like 3 times. Get out of the car and ring the stinkin' door bell OR since you know your friends are coming, be ready before they get there. Oh, and her driveway is right by my bedroom window. Like you, I want to drive by Sat and Sun morning and lay on the horn, but the neighbor on the other side of me has a 1 year old, I'm sure they wouldn't appreciate that very much.

Maybe those dipsticks have an aftermarket horn? If not, let me know how they turn out, I wouldn't mind having something deeper and louder ...
I checked and it looks like that Ford horn is available for either $16 or $36. Gotta figure out which is which to make sure I order the right part. But that's prob the way I am going. Very similar to the Fiamm physically, but definitely sounds much louder. I figure if I don't like it I can always sell it on eBay...
Old 10-26-2006, 04:24 AM

^^^ and if you don't mind, please post the part number when you find that out - I'm interested in this as well.

Thanks!
Old 10-26-2006, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Succinct
I checked and it looks like that Ford horn is available for either $16 or $36. Gotta figure out which is which to make sure I order the right part. But that's prob the way I am going. Very similar to the Fiamm physically, but definitely sounds much louder. I figure if I don't like it I can always sell it on eBay...

What's the difference between the 2 different horns? Same connection as the Fiamm, plug and play? Keep me/us posted. Something louder is definitely the way to go, I run into morons every time I drive. Just this morning I got cut off by some darn chick on the interstate just to have her slam on the brakes to exit. Too bad I had my wifes van, otherwise I would've had my first use of the Fiamms.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:29 AM

What's the difference between the 2 different horns?
I'm working on it. Will let you know...
Old 10-26-2006, 08:54 AM

I'm working on it. Will let you know...
OK I confirmed that the cheaper horn is the one we want. The $36 one is for the alarm system. So I ordered the $16 one (which includes both pitch horns) and will let you know how it goes. Looks like I just need to detatch them from the Ford bracket and mount them in place of the existing Maxima horns.

Also note - the $16 is retail. I can get it for $13. Plus freight.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:35 PM

16 bucks thats an awsome price,.. keep me/us updated..take some pics while putting them in too.......

now you can beep your mustang horn back a them just as loud
Old 10-26-2006, 08:21 PM
Hoooper

what about g35 horns? would those work at all? and as for the mustang horns, how is the sound on them (deep, high pitched, mediocre)?

Old 10-26-2006, 08:23 PM

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...06&catalogid=1

And type in horn for the keyword.

According to this website, the cheaper of the two horns is for the anti theft ... go figure ...
Old 10-26-2006, 08:32 PM

The Ford parts system is really screwy and has been for years. I had a friend who went nuts trying to order all of the correct replacement coolant system hoses for his '85 Turbo Coupe back in the late '80's. There was one little U-shaped hose that took about 5 or 6 tries at 2 different dealers' parts counters before they got the correct hose.

I asked my Ford parts guy (Torrie at Fastpartsnetwork.com), which horn was which and he said the cheaper one was the one, which we all know goes against Murphy's law. Even if it ends up being the $36 one, that's still a reasonable price.

As for how they sound - they sound marginally louder than the Fiamms, maybe 20% louder, but with a fuller, more obnoxious sound.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:37 PM

When are they supposed to come in? If you can, post a sound clip, that way we can all hear how obnoxious it sounds. Probably wouldn't be a good idea to pay the dealer a visit just to see how loud the mustang horns are huh?
Old 10-26-2006, 08:46 PM
Hoooper

Probably wouldn't be a good idea to pay the dealer a visit just to see how loud the mustang horns are huh?
i was thinking of doing that

Old 10-26-2006, 08:51 PM

When are they supposed to come in? If you can, post a sound clip, that way we can all hear how obnoxious it sounds. Probably wouldn't be a good idea to pay the dealer a visit just to see how loud the mustang horns are huh?
Why not go to the dealer? Then you can see for yourself. Make sure it's a white convertible with a black top (what my "chickie" neighbor has). If it wasn't for Torrie (I've been buying parts from him for years), I would've been planning to visit the Ford dealer this weekend. Shoot, I still might do it.

Torrie usually gets stuff drop-shipped to me via UPS, so I'd expect the horn to show up early next week (Mon or Tues). Being the Family Guy with a day job, I prob won't be able to do anything with it until the following weekend.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:09 AM

Any one try a horn from a chevy truck or any domestic truck? I'm gonna be paying my father in law a visit tonight, so I'll have to check out his chevy pickup.

Surprisely, no one wanted to try out my Fiamms. Well, some old dude backed out without looking, but no harm done, plus he was old, and I didn't want to be the one responsible for his heart attack.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:06 PM

Surprisely, no one wanted to try out my Fiamms. Well, some old dude backed out without looking, but no harm done, plus he was old, and I didn't want to be the one responsible for his heart attack.
Ha-ha - I completely understand what you mean because after I installed a set of the powerful Fiamms on my erstwhile little Honda Civic VX, it was as if all the idiots on the road took a vacation!

I was dying to use my new horns and it seemed like I had no reason to any more!!
Old 10-28-2006, 03:04 PM

haha Yeah, I had this huge urge to use my horns, but all the idiots disappeared, they'll be back when I least expect them ... I'm sure of that. I'll get my chance eventually.

Oh ... the new Sentras, at least the 05s use the Fiamm horns for OE.
Old 10-29-2006, 04:30 PM

I was detailing my wife's 2006 Odyssey today and accidentally hit the horn - and dang, that thing is loud too! It has a nice "American" sound to it. Being that it's an Odyssey with more trim panels under the hood than anything else, I could not eyeball what the horns look like. However I DO have the telephone book-thick service manual for that vehicle, so I may research that.

I checked with Majestic Honda, who has a decent on-line parts catalog, and their price was only $10.78 each for the low and high horns. That's basically both tones for $21.56 plus S&H. If the Ford horns don't work out, I may investigate that option.

Also, I once heard a recent model Buick's horn (bnot directed at me) and it had a nice 3-horn sound. Something else to check out....
Old 10-30-2006, 11:39 AM

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the info you've provided in this thread. Succint - when your part comes in could you verify what you receive and the part number please? I stopped by a Ford dealer's parts counter today and was told the opposite for the price of the horns. Unfortunately they did not have them in stock, but he showed me the exploded parts diagram. The $16 anti-theft horn was located in the engine bay and looked similar to the maxima's in that location as well as shape - part number was 4R3Z13832AB...it was a single horn. Part number 6R3Z13832AA were $36 dual horns, shaped more like the Fiamms and mounted behind the front grill - I assume those are the ones we'd want, but want to make sure.

TIA
Old 10-30-2006, 01:00 PM

My wife has an 03 Odyssey, and the 2 horns are located behind the front bumper, so in order to get to them, the bumper needs to come off. I can't quite remember how hers sound, I don't believe it's deep American sounding, but better than typical Japanese. I'll have to test them out later. I think I'll have to go visit the dealer on a weekend, hopefully they'll have some vehicles unlocked, so I can test out all the horns.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:05 PM
Pointy Elbows

I think I'll have to go visit the dealer on a weekend, hopefully they'll have some vehicles unlocked, so I can test out all the horns.
Have fun with that.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Okay Mint here are my pics..

Old 11-01-2006, 09:25 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I put Fiamm highway blasters on my car. A and B notes.

i tried the Hella Supertones before.....they are extremely loud but have a disgusting sound, especially when you lock your car and it beeps. sounds like the car is dying.

Advance auto carries them. I had a pair of Fiamms in my old 93 nissan 240sx....i got them out of an old Audi. So if you want you can go to a junk yard and search all the audis and vw's and you can find a pair for super cheap
Old 11-02-2006, 06:52 AM

Went with Honda

OK, since there was confusion over which Ford horn was which and not as much so in Honda's parts catalog, so I just ordered the hi and lo pitch horns found on my wife's 2006 Honda Odyssey. They are fairly stout, "old-school"-sounding horns and were only $10.31 each, plus $7 shipping from Bernardi Honda (about the cheapest Honda OEM parts source I've found).

I'll provide an update, with part #s, after I receive and install them.
Old 11-03-2006, 05:59 PM

OK here are the Honda Odyssey horn P/Ns:
38100-SHJ-A01 Honda HORN ASSY. (LOW) - $10.34
38150-SHJ-A01 Honda HORN ASSY. (HIGH) - $10.34
Purchased at Bernardi Honda, $7.55 S&H, total = $28.23

UPS tracking sez they arrive Monday. I'll let you know how it works out. It'll be nice to have some chops in the horn section for once, instead of Arizona's state bird...
Old 11-03-2006, 06:25 PM

Hey Succinct,
Thanks for your help w/ all these horns, I'll be looking forward to your updates. You are da man! The Fiamms work, however they can definitely be louder. They got their first use last night. I was following some caddie in a parking lot, and he couldn't make up his mind if wanted to turn or not. That's fine, but then he started backing up, missed me by inches, and still didn't know if he wanted to go straight or turn and just sat there holding up traffic. I couldn't help myself, the horns were screaming out for me, so I laid it on ... I noticed a few heads turned.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by SonGouko
Okay Mint here are my pics..

Yikes, that's a heck of a setup, do you have a sound clip?
Old 11-03-2006, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by orangejuicejay
I put Fiamm highway blasters on my car. A and B notes.

i tried the Hella Supertones before.....they are extremely loud but have a disgusting sound, especially when you lock your car and it beeps. sounds like the car is dying.

Advance auto carries them. I had a pair of Fiamms in my old 93 nissan 240sx....i got them out of an old Audi. So if you want you can go to a junk yard and search all the audis and vw's and you can find a pair for super cheap

Tell me about it, the Hellas are just plain ole' annoying. It's one thing to use them when need be, but to hear them every time the door gets locked will make me pull my hair out.

I already have them installed.
Old 11-04-2006, 05:57 AM

I already have them installed.
You mean the Fiamms, not the Hellas, right?

BTW, the fact the horn has to "blip" every time I lock the car had me not wanting to get anything louder or more annoying than the Fiamms or similar. That's another reason I went with the Ody horns - my wife's Ody makes the same blip when locking the doors (but only if you hit the fob twice within 5 seconds; it only flashes the lights the first time, which I think is a very nice feature - gives ME the option of whether I want audible confirmation). I know I can live with that horn combo with blip. Plus, I just liked the $28 total price. :-) Maybe I'll even record a sound clip.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:20 AM
Pointy Elbows

Tell me about it, the Hellas are just plain ole' annoying. It's one thing to use them when need be, but to hear them every time the door gets locked will make me pull my hair out.
You guys DO know that you can turn off the beeping feature when you lock your doors right?
Old 11-04-2006, 08:27 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

00MaxSE - I'm sure it is in the owners manual but ... how do you turn off the beeping feature?
Old 11-04-2006, 09:39 AM
No More Maxipad

you press and hold the lock and unlock button on the remote for a few seconds till the lights flash then it'll be in silent mode. do the same to make it honk again, you'll get a honk after a few seconds of holding the buttons down.
Old 11-04-2006, 06:41 PM

You mean the Fiamms, not the Hellas, right?

Yes, the Fiamms, and not the Hellas. I seriously considered the Hellas until I heard a sound clip, changed my mind pretty quick.

Yes, you can turn off the beep when locking your doors, however, sometimes I need the beep confirmation when parked in direct sunlight, or when the car is simply not in view.
Old 11-04-2006, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Maxfli
00MaxSE - I'm sure it is in the owners manual but ... how do you turn off the beeping feature?

It's on the back of your remote. Or what "lowincash" says.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:33 PM

Keep us posted on the Honda horns, I am in dire need for new horns as mine are shot and don't feel like spending $60 on Hellas...
Old 11-05-2006, 07:35 AM

If I ever have time, I plan on visiting a junkyard to see if they have any domestic truck horns, that should give me a nice deep growl.

Quick Reply: New Horn ...