5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Does the Transmission Control Module get programmed by the Solenoids?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 08:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Does the Transmission Control Module get programmed by the Solenoids?

just as the title says, does the Transmission Control Module get programmed by the Solenoids in the tranny?

heres the situation:
Replaced my 2000 TCM with TCM from a 2001, the updated TCM is supposed to have the #'s -4y901 at the end of the part # I happened to get one with -4y900, so I put it in anyway...
It worked great, my tranny was shifting great, it was not slamming into 2nd gear anymore...

Now about 4-5 weeks later, it digressed back to its old behavior, it is slamming into 2 again, and even slightly into first.

So my question is (if anyone possibly knows the answer), could the Solenoids be slowly over time reprogramming the TCM to it's current faulty state? and Could it be possible that the 4y901 TCM has firmware loaded onto it that does not allow this to happen anymore?
I just find it strange how the new TCM worked great for about 4-5 weeks???

Any input greatly appreciated...
Old 10-26-2006, 07:25 AM
VaporHead

There is no way for a solenoid to program a module. A solenoid just completes a process. I.E. your ignition switch energizes your starter solenoid to start. Have you tried just replacing the solenoid? If I am correct, I believe there was a TSB for the tranny solenoid?
Have you tried flushing your fluid as well?

Check this link out.
http://www.nissanhelp.com/Ownership/.../NTB04-035.htm

Old 10-26-2006, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by VaporHead
There is no way for a solenoid to program a module. A solenoid just completes a process. I.E. your ignition switch energizes your starter solenoid to start. Have you tried just replacing the solenoid? If I am correct, I believe there was a TSB for the tranny solenoid?
Have you tried flushing your fluid as well?

Check this link out.
http://www.nissanhelp.com/Ownership/.../NTB04-035.htm
Fluid was just replaced with Mobil 1 ATF about 10k miles ago,
what I ment by programming, is like if you have a o2 sensor sending bad data to the ECM, the ECM readjusts settings (ie. air/fuel ratio) to compensate for the reading.
I was asking if the TCM does the same kind of thing with the solenoid?

or did you mean that the solenoid does not send information back to the TCM? that the TCM just sends a command to the solenoid and the solenoid responds?
If so, how does the TCM get input about what the tranny is doing?
Old 10-26-2006, 07:26 PM
VaporHead

TCM is a device that controls the automatic transmissions. TCM generally uses sensors from the vehicle as well as data provided by the Engine Control Unit to calculate how and when to change gears in the vehicle for optimum performance, fuel economy and shift quality.
I would look at maybe the Valve Body now. Hopefully someone with a little more knowledge then myself will chime in.

Old 10-26-2006, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by VaporHead
TCM is a device that controls the automatic transmissions. TCM generally uses sensors from the vehicle as well as data provided by the Engine Control Unit to calculate how and when to change gears in the vehicle for optimum performance, fuel economy and shift quality.
I would look at maybe the Valve Body now. Hopefully someone with a little more knowledge then myself will chime in.
Thanks for your input, I think I am going to try and find a -4y901 TCM at a junkyard and see if that one only lasts a few weeks.
If so then I start to look into more detail like the VB