5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

I need 5th gen owners to check something about baby seats...

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 02:05 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

I need 5th gen owners to check something about baby seats...

Due to a recent addition to the family, we need to use a baby seat in the 5th gen. It took 2 hours (with the help of the experts at the hospital) to get the seat in tight enough to be allowed to take the baby home.

We have a 2000 with the cloth seats. I searched and saw that SOME 5th gens seem to have the LATCH system, which is a built in anchoring point that is attached at or near the attachment points for the rear seatbelts. My SpecV has tham, but the Spec is not nearly as safe as the Maxima in a crash, plus the spec is my car and my wife will be doing most of the transporting of the baby. On top of that, the spec has tight rear seats that woud require front passengers ride with the seat all of the way up.

At any rate, the goal of this is to determine whether or not there are newer years of the 5th gen that have LATCH bars and loops installed. I would also like to see whther these could be retrofitted to the 2000 maxima. I looked at the LATCH system on my spec, and it looks like I could do it, but it would be a lot os work. I was hoping that the newer 5th gens might be better suited to a retrofit.

Lastly, if any 5th gen users have the LATCH system in conjunction with a Graco travel system car seat, I would like to know what experiences they might have had with the Graco system in their 5th gen. Heck, even if you DON'T have the LATCH, let me know how the Graco worked in your car.

When she gets bigger (20 lb.), I plan to get a Britax car seat, but for now she needs to use what we have.
Old 10-28-2006, 02:20 PM

Hey congrats on the new arrival,
i have the latches in my 2002 gle.
I dont know how to use them but they are there.
The people that had the car before me used the latches for their baby seat.
Old 10-28-2006, 02:28 PM

The latch system wasn't standardized/manatory until model year 2002. I'm guessing the latches shouldn't be difficult to put in, however I've never really looked into it either. I have 2 car seats in mine w/ the standard seatbelts, and seems to be holding fairly well. I had a Graco seat base/baby seat combo, but that wasn't the most secured thing, cause I have leather, and it was a little slippery. Plus it needed repositioning every few days/week, cause the seatbelt would pull it up.
Old 10-28-2006, 02:29 PM
VaporHead

I have the latches in my 01 and they work fine.
I think our baby seats were Graco as well.
Just follow the instructions that came with the seat.
I use the stock shoulder belt with the seat. It comes with the metal plate deal so the belt doesn't slack up. The seat is firmly in there. Those anchores are a pain in the *** sometimes. Takes like 5 mins to get the seat out or in.

Old 10-28-2006, 02:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hey Pat... I have Graco Safeseat and I've used it with and without the LATCH hooks in my 2002.

Even with just the seat belt, you should be able to get the base really snug back there (I have leather too).

The LATCH system is more secure than the seatbelt no matter how tight you get the seatbelt but also more of a pain to move the base back n forth between cars, so since our baby is in my wife's car more, I only use the seatbelt when he rides in my car.
Old 10-28-2006, 02:43 PM

The LATCH system is actually built into the rear deck on my car, so it would be pretty hard to retrofit it in there, but it certainly could be done.
Old 10-28-2006, 03:10 PM
Drug Money

I have a latch system in my 2000. I don't use a baby seat though... i'm hoping not for a long time too

My car is actually an early 2000 model, made in 1999.
Old 10-28-2006, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by phenryiv1
Due to a recent addition to the family, we need to use a baby seat in the 5th gen. It took 2 hours (with the help of the experts at the hospital) to get the seat in tight enough to be allowed to take the baby home.
It suprises me that it took 2 hours for this to be figured out with hospital assistance. As long as you pull the seatbelts all the way out til they click (they are designed this way), then let them retract until they are tight, you should have been fine.

I've had rear facing and forward facing baby seats in my '91 NX2000, my '96 G20, my wifes '95 Pathfinder, my wifes Saturn Relay, my wifes current Mazda Protege 5 and currently in my '02 Maxima as well as booster seats and have never used the provided anchors. This all over a 6 year time period. The seats have always been extremely snug with just the seatbelt strap.

You should be fine w/o the anchors if your vehicle is not equip with them.
Old 10-28-2006, 06:07 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

Okay, let me try to respond to al the posts at once.

I have teh rear deck LATCH but not the underseat one. My 03 spec has the underseat part, and it looks like it could be retrofitted into the Maxima.

I did not know to pull the belt all of the way out and then to let it retract. When I say it took 2 hours, it was an hour of just me, then 45 min-1 hour wih the help of the hosital staff. We tried it several ways. we tried the shoulder belt through the base, them the shoulder belt threough the upper seat. It was too loose for their stndards and I almost had to go get the Spec. I finally manhandled it and they let us leave.

Joel- I was going to call you about this. can you pm me your number?
Old 10-28-2006, 06:08 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by MaxBoost925
I have a latch system in my 2000. I don't use a baby seat though... i'm hoping not for a long time too

My car is actually an early 2000 model, made in 1999.
The one in the rear deck, or the one in the seat bottom?
Old 10-28-2006, 06:23 PM
Suspension Yoda

Also have a 1999 5th gen model. Suspect he's talking about the rear deck thing. I've got nothing around my seat bottom or underneath, at least, not that I've noticed.
Old 10-28-2006, 06:27 PM

I saw those on my 5th gen (the underseat ones), but my little one is 5 years old now.... I remember having to buy the bolt that lets the car seat anchor to the rear deck on my 4h gen (mine did not even have these). It was like $25 bucks for the part. Hopefully it will be an easy mod to do.
Old 10-28-2006, 06:37 PM

I did not know to pull the belt all of the way out and then to let it retract.
If you do not use the latch brackets, it is extremely important that you pull your seatbelt all the way out til it clicks, then let it retract. If not, your seatbelt potentially will not lock in the event of a crash or sudden stop.

If you use the brackets, then the seat will be pretty much immobilized.

Good luck with this.
Old 10-28-2006, 06:56 PM
Very sound, Mike

The NHTSA site mentions in passing how to attach the ***hers or anchors but doesn't really go into detail - so i'm guessing that it's an accepted practice and provides just the same amount of security as the OEM-installed system if done properly. (p.s. why is t_e_t censored?)

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/inju...tml/LATCH.html

***her anchors in older vehicles

The information presented in this section obtained from ***hering Child Restraints, developed by Safe Ride News Publications, Inc.

If your vehicle does not have a ready-to-use ***her anchor, read your vehicle's owner manual, which may include information on where to install ***her anchors in your vehicle. Contact the vehicle dealer or manufacturer customer service line for ***her anchor hardware and installation information. Use vehicle-specific parts whenever possible.

In some vehicle models, ***her anchor hardware is easy for consumers to install themselves. In other vehicles, however, special equipment or complex procedures are necessary, so the dealership or a mechanic should do the installation.

Photo of an installation step; click for enlargement Photo of an installation step; click for enlargement

* 1985 and older vehicles frequently require the drilling of a ***her anchor point hole. If ***her anchor hardware is not available from the vehicle manufacturer for older vehicles, use ***her anchor hardware offered by child restraint manufacturers.
* 1986-1988 vehicles may have pre-drilled holes fitted with a plug or filler.
* 1989 and more recent model vehicles usually have threaded weld nuts, pre-drilled holes, or dimpled drill locations designated for ***her anchor use.

Steps for installing a ***her anchor

* Identify and find the preferred anchor point.
* Obtain the ***her anchor kit.
* If necessary, drill a ***her anchor hole in the appropriate location.
* Install the anchor hardware according to manufacturer's instructions.
Old 10-28-2006, 09:11 PM

I have a 2000 SE and I have them... Don't know if it was an option, I just asked for a fully loaded car.
Old 10-28-2006, 09:26 PM
Very sound, Mike

By the way, i vaguely remember a similar thread about this several years back. Earlier 5th gens had a slightly different set-up on the seats that basically ended up hiding the latches deeper in the hole. There's already a good chance you have these latches, they're just not easily seen. Fish around down there, you just may find it.

On my 5.5 they're pretty easy to find.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:08 AM

When we first brought my son home 5 years ago, we had a Saturn. I found that we had to put the seat base on one side or the other for a secure fit. It was too wobbly in the center due to the hump in the center. I had to sit on the base, adjust the belt about 1 inch too short and pull like hell to latch it. Once i got off the seat base, the seat foam would push it back upwards and it was solid as a rock. no movement at all. Lower latches could not have improved this. I've found in my maxima, we've hads to use a folded up towel under the child seat to stabalize it.
Old 10-29-2006, 04:50 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by soundmike
By the way, i vaguely remember a similar thread about this several years back. Earlier 5th gens had a slightly different set-up on the seats that basically ended up hiding the latches deeper in the hole. There's already a good chance you have these latches, they're just not easily seen. Fish around down there, you just may find it.

On my 5.5 they're pretty easy to find.
Well, I took the seat bottom all of the way out and did not see them.

Here are pics of what they look like in the Spec. If you have them in a 2000 or 2001, please let me know. Just for clarification, the LATCH part I am looking for is not the attachment point in/on the rear deck.

Inner (closest to the middle) bracket:

Outer (closest to the door) bracket:

View from the trunk:

Here is the pic of the insignia or symbol that is on the seat themselves. The emblem is right at the base of the seat.

Old 10-29-2006, 04:54 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by soundmike
The NHTSA site mentions in passing how to attach the ***hers or anchors but doesn't really go into detail - so i'm guessing that it's an accepted practice and provides just the same amount of security as the OEM-installed system if done properly. (p.s. why is t_e_t censored?)

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/inju...tml/LATCH.html
Thanks for the info. "tet" is blocked due to an old dispute. Long story.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:57 AM

Pat,

The diagram below is from the 2002 FSM showing that you could get the brackets and add em:

I don't have my car with me today, but I'll get you more details later.

I'll call you in a bit.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:10 AM

I am very interested in adding them in my 2000 GLE. Mine does not have the anchors behind the rear cushion. Got another baby on the way, so if I can get these added that would be sweet!
Old 10-31-2006, 11:34 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
Pat,

The diagram below is from the 2002 FSM showing that you could get the brackets and add em:

I don't have my car with me today, but I'll get you more details later.

I'll call you in a bit.
Awesome. It LOOKS like the floor contours of the 2000 are the same as the ones in the 2002 in that diagram. Given that fact, it looks like the bracket will drop right in, and will use the existing seat belt brackets/bolts.

Nice talking to you today.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:38 AM

Has anyone added these anchors to a car that didn't originally have them? I have a 2000 and it doesn't have the anchors but my new Sienna has them and they are great. I'd like to put them in my 2000 if possible.

The car seat in the 2000 is definately not as tight as I would like it but I can't possibly get it any tighter. I used the anchor system in the Sienna and it feels like the car seat is bolted to the car. It is amazingly tight. Anchors are the way to go if possible.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:34 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by Cdoc
Has anyone added these anchors to a car that didn't originally have them? I have a 2000 and it doesn't have the anchors but my new Sienna has them and they are great. I'd like to put them in my 2000 if possible.

The car seat in the 2000 is definately not as tight as I would like it but I can't possibly get it any tighter. I used the anchor system in the Sienna and it feels like the car seat is bolted to the car. It is amazingly tight. Anchors are the way to go if possible.
Ummm, that is the point of the whole thread. Seriously, I am trying to add them now. I just need the parts from the dealership.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:56 PM

Did you order them already? I'm showing about $7 each!
Old 11-01-2006, 04:48 PM

There is also another "latch" in the rear deck. You should be good with the ones in the seat as it will be an imrovement over the seatbelt.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

the 2000 5th gen maxima does not have the latches.I have a 11 week old and was tryin to find out if my maxima could be retro fitted also.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:41 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by DAVEB
Did you order them already? I'm showing about $7 each!
No, but I will call you tomorrow to order them. The local dealership is clueless as to what I am trying to order.

David, you are a lifesaver!
Old 11-02-2006, 12:05 PM

Hi everyone, have a 2k and it does have thos e latches on the rear deck (where the speaker is), when my son was born I , I oculdn't really sue this since he was rear facing. All you have to do is pull the seat belt through the base and pull as hard as you can until it's tight and make sure the remainder retracts in and it shouldn't move. I have leather and it worked just fine. My son is now just short of 8 years old and is still in a booster seat that is forward facing; now I can use the rear latches and I do I also since I have leather have put the no skid things that your supposed to use for your kitchen drawers or in your tool box drawers under the seat to prevent it from sliding side to side since he's using the regualr seat belt now. So when he's not in it it's only attached by the rear latch and it doesn't slide. Oh and if you have a little one leave the base in the car all the time, simply unhook the carrier to take them out of the car. Good Luck!
Old 11-02-2006, 01:06 PM

Just got off the phone with Dave B. He said that he wanted to order some in and look at them himself to make sure they are what we need (Im talking the actual mounting hardware under the seats as shown in the previous illustrations not the points on top of the rear deck).The best part is that if all holds true, he said each one is about $8. If you ask me thats a small price to pay for a safer setup for my kids! As soon as he has them in, I'm getting a set!
Old 11-02-2006, 01:15 PM

I have 3 month old and I drive a 02 GLE my wife drives a 02 RX300 both have the latch system. We got the Chicco travelsystem from BabiesRUs because it comes with one base that has the latch system dual-belts so we just bought a 2nd base so that we could leave them in each car and just snap the carseat in either car. The latch system is very secure and we love the ease of its use. Check it out.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:07 PM

The LATCH brackets are now on back-order! Still waiting on my friends at Nissan for an ETA, so if anyone wants their name on the list, let me know!
Old 11-24-2006, 08:44 PM

Any new word on these brackets?
Old 12-05-2006, 10:06 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Well, I sold the Maxima last week, and have one of these unused brackets. I have the one for the Driver's side. I WOULD have the Passenger side one, but apparently the box got ripped in the mail and the part fell out.

I will sell it for cost plus shipping. Never installed or out of the package.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:52 AM

Sorry to bring up such an old thread but I also have a 2000 Nissan Maxima without the lower portion of then latch system (I only have the upper tethers). I would love to buy the lower anchors that are being talked about in this thread but can't seem to find them online. Does anyone have a part number? I'm assuming in would need the part from a 2002-2003 Maxima but that I could use that part on my 2000. Any help is appreciated! Thanks
Old 08-24-2011, 05:36 AM

I know this doesnt specifically answer your question, but I have a 01 I30 and recently installed a baby seat using the lower LATCH connectors. However, I had it checked by the police and the officer told me using the seatbelt instead of the LATCH system is just as safe.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by 2001i30
I know this doesnt specifically answer your question, but I have a 01 I30 and recently installed a baby seat using the lower LATCH connectors. However, I had it checked by the police and the officer told me using the seatbelt instead of the LATCH system is just as safe.
Or you can be like me and just use both.

AJ- there are a few maxes being parted out in the for sale section. You should be able to find one from someone who is parting an 02 up max.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:35 PM

Thank you both, 2001I30 and froggmann...I appreciate it. I've asked in a couple of part out threads now and hopefully I can get something there. I also think that I've found them on the courtesyparts.com website (part 88642 and 88642m?) but they are out of stock so I'd love to get them from another org'er if possible. But thanks again for your help!
Old 08-24-2011, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by AJCannon
Thank you both, 2001I30 and froggmann...I appreciate it. I've asked in a couple of part out threads now and hopefully I can get something there. I also think that I've found them on the courtesyparts.com website (part 88642 and 88642m?) but they are out of stock so I'd love to get them from another org'er if possible. But thanks again for your help!
The true names and part numbers are as follows:
Striker rear seat, right hand - 88342-3Y000
(this is 88642M in the parts drawing)
Striker rear seat, left hand - 88392-3Y000
(this is 88692 in the parts drawing)

http://www.nissanpartszone.com/Page_...3&PageID=33623
Old 08-25-2011, 04:24 AM

Thanks dennismik...I've got someone who is going to check on Friday for me to see if he still has these on his car that he is parting out in the FS forum. If he does not then I will buy them here.

Have a great day!

Quick Reply: I need 5th gen owners to check something about baby seats...