5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2001 se hard to start after fuel pump replaced

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006 | 04:58 AM

2001 se hard to start after fuel pump replaced

The car was working fine until it just died. Towed it to a garage they said the fuel pump was gone so they replaced it. Drove about 5 miles and it quit again. Towed back to the garage and they said that the new fuel pump was burnt out. They found the connections on top of the fuel pump housing were corroded so they replaced that part plus put in another fuel pump. The fuel pumps were both from napa. Now the car is very hard to start. It has to crank over alot to get it to fire up. The garage called the Nissan dealer ( which is 1 1/2 hours away) and was told the aftermarket pump was the problem and I needed a OEM pump so they ordered one. They put the OEM pump in and it didn't make a difference. Once the car is running it runs great, it's just really hard to start. It just keeps turning over several times. Could it be the fuel pressure regulator? Any ideas?
Old 12-02-2006 | 07:54 AM

mine started doing that after I had my engine replace. I had the fuel filter replace, and it still going it. I took it to the dealer and they could not find anything wrong. I am with you on this one...
Old 12-02-2006 | 08:36 AM

Sorry I can't help you w/ your problem, but I just wanted to say hey to a fella nova scotian. My parents live in Halifax, and I totally love the province.
Old 12-02-2006 | 01:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Check the pressue to see if all of the fuel is draining back into the tank. An easy way to do this with out tools is to
1.) let the car sit for a while
2.) Before you start the car turn the key to KOEO (Key on engine off) for a few seconds to prime the pump. Turn the key back off for a few seconds then turn it back to KOEO again. Do this two or three times.
3.)If it starts right away every time when you do this you have something letting the fuel bleed back into the tank or a stuck open injector.
If you blow white smoke out after this happens odds are its a stuck injector, (To much fuel in one of the cylinders.) If not you probably have another bad pump or FPR.

Also if you are running really rich (lean in all cylinders except one) and having a slight misfire it's more than likely an injector.
Old 12-02-2006 | 01:38 PM
Driving is the next best thing

Have them check the fuel pressure. If it's fine, than it's probably a coincidence and you have to look for other causes. (Scanning the car for codes, checking the battery, alternator, etc...) In not, than they either assembled the pump incorrectly or put a dirty fuel filter in.
Old 12-02-2006 | 03:19 PM

It the car was starting and running perfectly like you said and the only component that has been replaced is the fuel pump, then it's highly likely it's fuel pump replacement (the procedure) related, not something else. Is it now harder starting on every start or just "cold" starts. Did they disconnect the battery on these pump replacements? If the battery was disconnected (and it should have been) and there are no leaks at the tank and the car is performing OK except for the "slow" starting, then I'm wondering if it's just an ECM relearn deal. How much driving have you done for example since the last pump change? It's not crapping out at highway speeds/higher rpm? FYI the Fuel Pressure Regulator is up at the engine on the Gen. 5. not at the pump and unfortunately checking the fuel pressure requires a special adaptor for the gauge that a standard garage probably isn't going to have, but, the F.P. at idle should be about 34 p.s.i. and about 43 p.s.i. with the vacuum hose (plug the hose) pulled off the regulator. Whenever the ignition key is turned to ON, the pump will run for only about a second unless the engine starts.
Old 12-03-2006 | 08:11 PM

Sounds like bleed down to me. Generally many cars have a valve to prevent this from happening, most often in or near the fuel pump itself.

I'd have the DEALER put the OEM pump in for you. Something is not being done right at that garage.
Old 12-03-2006 | 09:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I had a similar problem. I had the fuel pump replaced and my car still had problems. It ended up being the idler or something like that that needed to be replaced.
Old 12-07-2006 | 06:08 PM

Thanks for all the replys. The dealer looked it over and found there were O-rings missing. They had to order them so hopefully that will fix it.
Old 12-07-2006 | 07:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by caper
Thanks for all the replys. The dealer looked it over and found there were O-rings missing. They had to order them so hopefully that will fix it.
O-rings missing = Your mechanic is a hack. If they can't even figure out what they messed up when putting in a fuel pump I would stay far away.
Old 12-08-2006 | 08:10 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally Posted by 5thgenmaxima
O-rings missing = Your mechanic is a hack. If they can't even figure out what they messed up when putting in a fuel pump I would stay far away.
I would also demand a refund for services redered...or lack there of. I was just going to reply that you need to make sure the tank seal and the seal between the pump (like a black donut) and the filter are there and correctly installed.