5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

I need help

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 01:26 AM

I need help

Ok I've been getting a grinding noise coming from the front of my car can't seem to figure out what it is I was wondering if any of you could help me locate this problem. The noise only happens in gear when im pressing on the accelerator. i noticed its mostly around 1,500-2.500 rpm range. could it be my clutch? i wanna figure out what is wrong so the mechanics dont rape me. your reply is apriciated.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:02 AM

could be the clutch. Check ur transmission fluid, make sure there arent any metal shillings on the dip stick.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:29 AM

I checked the tranny fluid nothin still good fluid and no metal. Had my belts and oil changed a berk intake put on and cleaned the fuel sytem (Gas, Oil, Intake manifold) still that damn noise...... what to do?
Old 12-14-2006, 11:57 AM

I'll take a _wild_ guess. Could be wheel bearings...It's easy to check. My only other thought would be the differential.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:07 AM

I dont think its the weel bearings the noise is fom the center of the car and dosen't do it when rolling only when pressing the peddel.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:19 AM

i hear some noise and i think it's my clutch
my clutch is worn anyway; looks like i'll be spending one of these days replacing it. maybe sunday
i'll let you know if my noise goes away after i change mine out
-got a spec stage 2 and fidanza lightened aluminum flywheel
Old 12-15-2006, 10:52 AM

I read some other threads and people were talking about a simular problem as this but were saying a rattling not a grinding and that it could be comming from the pre cat..... so i wonder if it is in my exhaust line who knows...?
Old 12-16-2006, 03:00 PM

You may be on to something with the exhaust line theory. I had a rattle or something like a grinding and it turned out to be a broken exhaust clamp. Apparently the exhaust would vibrate or rattle under pressure (accelaration) and make the noise.
Old 12-16-2006, 06:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

what

What type of noise..rubbing..clicking..knocking..scrapping...an y other info that may be relevant would help?
Old 12-16-2006, 07:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by tancythor
What type of noise..rubbing..clicking..knocking..scrapping...an y other info that may be relevant would help?

He already said it was a grinding noise...
Old 12-16-2006, 07:37 PM
I'm a Happy Man!

I had the same issue about a year ago while car was still under warranty I took it in to about 5 stealership obviously they claimed the couldn't hear any thing. I was getting fed up and it was getting close to my vacation so I took it back to one of those stealership and told them at the service desk to call me when my car was ready. Went on vacation 4weeks later came back from vacation car still wasn't done. They ended up replacing the tranny main bearing.(only took about a month and a half) well I wish u the best of luck.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:46 PM

well about the noise it sounds grindy but could be a rattle the noise is dispersed so its hard to tell that and the exact location but almost possitive that it is center front. but the thing that bothers me is it dosent do it while accelerating only while idleing it around 2,000 in drive i hope something dosent go boom or kaplooweee. thanks for the input so far guys it helps.