5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

My Car after a accident and repairs...

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 10:38 AM

My Car after a accident and repairs...

I finally got my car back yesterday evening from the auto body shop. I am really disappointed with their work considering all the praises that I heard about them and their major damage repair work. Damage was done to the front left side of my car.

Things that I have noticed in half of a day:

1. Chipped paint on the left front fender. I could tell that someone tried to touch it up. In fact the owner said he did it just out of the kindness of his heart.
2. Alignment of the bumper and headlights is off.
3. While the car is in park and I step on the brake I hear a clicking noise in the shifter. Sounds as if something is engaging. I am pretty sure that something was done with the shifter because I am missing the cap that use to cover the shift lock.
4. When the car is moving I hear a clicking noise that might be coming from one of the wheels. I say it might be coming from the wheels because as I accelerate the noise gets more rapid. Maybe something’s rubbing.
5. My car seems to have lost its power. It might just seem that way because I have been driving a Toyota Sequoia (V8) for the past month.
6. My steering wheel now sits tilted to the right. And at times it feels if it is shifting back and forth while I'm driving straight.
7. My alarm isn’t working. I had a Viper 791XV alarm with remote starter installed.

I am hoping someone will have some insight on any of the problems that I have listed about.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:10 AM
6spd Swapped

Ive worked very closely with many body shops in the past year and one thing you have to always do is complain when you arent happy. You can do this rather by going to the body shop and complaining directly to them or calling your insurance company and complaining about the work that was done. I would go to the body shop first and complain to them and see if they will cooperate in fixing it properly and if they dont immediatly call your insurance company and they will set the body shop straight. Also make sure you point out EVERY mistake they made, they arent going to fix things out of the kindness of their hearts.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:40 PM

"they arent going to fix things out of the kindness of their hearts."

It's kind of funny you say that because when I picked up my car the first thing I noticed was that touched up chip. The owner actually walked me over the work they did. He was like “I noticed that too and I was the one that touched it up because it didn't look good." The way he made it seemed as if he didn’t have to do that and it was out of the kindness of his heart. I asked him if they replaced the bumper and wouldn't they check for that kind of thing. And when I was showing him how the bumper didn't look aligned he was saying/doing any and everything to take my mind off my car. Phucking a$$ clown!!!

I was going to drop my car off tomorrow morning but I think I might take it in on Monday. I thing it would be best to keep it over the weekend to see how it’s holding up mechanically.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:35 PM

i got my 2k3 bumper upgrade, rear bump and entire stilllen kit painted at the most reputable, expensive place around me. $2500 where everyone else was 1500 to 1900. i was going to pay the extra cause he was supposed to be the best and assured me that he could match my pearl white car close enough that the naked eye wouldnt pick it up......well after seeing it, it did not match closely at all. i had him tint and then use direct paint chips from glazieth etc etc etc and while the kit looks best but not exact, and the front just looks ok, the rear bump just does not match at all. i live at the shore and oem paint faded differently based apon how the sun would hit my car everyday at home and work. It actually faded differenty and front and rear are diff colors yet you can not see this because it fades so gradually.
Anyway, my point is your car was in an accident and willl never be as perfect as it once was. but keep fighting with that garage, and don't give up until you are satisfied everything that can be done has been done. my guy did infact end up being the best because although he just could not match the rear bumper better after 3 paint jobs he was so assamed he only charged me the 200 for paint for the whole job. yeah it sucks cause it does'nt match but for $2300 in my pocket, ill deal with it. don't give up
Old 12-14-2006, 06:27 PM

I agree with Max0224.Complain and it will be fixed.Dont let them try to get over on you.

What shop did you go to?
Old 12-14-2006, 06:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'll tell you what I tell all of my customers, take a piece of paper and pen, put it in your car, and write down EVERYTHING that is wrong or malfunctioning. Write it down so you won't forget when you get to the shop to get those things fixed. Just give a copy to the shop and get the things done. Don't be an a$$ about it unless the shop starts making excuses and not willing to work it out. If that happens, let 'em know how you feel. LOL.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:30 PM
Banned

man point blank, I WOULD COMPLAIN TO THE BODY SHOP....and if they do nothing about it, GO DIRECTLY TO THE INSURANCE COMPANY
Old 12-15-2006, 12:03 AM

dude similar thing happened to me, as others have mentioned do complain to the shop, dont let them sweet talk you into all this crap.

In my case after I complained to the shop manager, they tried to fix it and their attempt was pathetic... to which ofcourse I complained again and this time the manager of the shop just told me that he was not going to fix the paint, to which my immediate answer was classic but after leaving the shop I simply complained to the insurance company and 2 weeks later the car was done to my liking.

Ofcourse just one thing though, if you do have to get nasty with them, somehow try to be sure they dont abuse your car...
Old 12-15-2006, 05:06 AM

@Squirrel82, The place I took my car to is called Ardmore Auto Body in Landover.

Thanks guys... I know my car will never be the same as it was before the accident but I believe if you’re going to do something, do it right. I really think it was smart for me to keep it over the weekend before returning it to them because by the time I get home it's already dark. So I really haven't been able to look the car over like I would like to have. Plus I want to make sure that there is really a problem before I go complaining.

Hey can someone do me a favor and go out to their car and just step on the brake and see if you hear any clicking noise coming from the shifter area. I don’t ever remember hearing that before but it current sounds as if something is engaging.

Thanks guys!
Old 12-15-2006, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by BlackFlux
3. While the car is in park and I step on the brake I hear a clicking noise in the shifter. Sounds as if something is engaging. I am pretty sure that something was done with the shifter because I am missing the cap that use to cover the shift lock.
Sorry to hear about your accident and all the repair problems. Thats got to be extremely frustrating! Funny that you mention that clicking noise. I noticed the exact same noise the other night getting into my car after work. I was sitting in park & whenever I depressed the break, I would hear a clicking noise coming from the shifter area. I'm pretty sure its related to the cold weather, because I never noticed this when it was warm out. Thats not to say that there isn't a problem though. I would definitely make a detailed list of everything that wasn't done properly & respectfully ask them to fix each & every one of them. Good Luck!
Old 12-15-2006, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by clayman88
Sorry to hear about your accident and all the repair problems. Thats got to be extremely frustrating! Funny that you mention that clicking noise. I noticed the exact same noise the other night getting into my car after work. I was sitting in park & whenever I depressed the break, I would hear a clicking noise coming from the shifter area. I'm pretty sure its related to the cold weather, because I never noticed this when it was warm out. Thats not to say that there isn't a problem though. I would definitely make a detailed list of everything that wasn't done properly & respectfully ask them to fix each & every one of them. Good Luck!

I believe the noise you are referring to is the shifter interlock which will lock the shifter from being removed from park without depressing the brake pedal. I've even here the clicking periodically when I am in another gear but stationary. I don't think it is as noticeable on the 5th gen than it is on the 4th gen.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:19 PM

My car does that brake pedal,shifter area clicking noise all the time , dont know if its normal or not

The shifter lock cap was probably removed to move the car around .Sounds to me like the battery died while at the shop.Make them get another one.
Old 12-16-2006, 01:14 PM

I'm glad to hear nothing is wrong as far as the clicking noise I hear when I press the break. I finally got a chance to take some pictures of the repair work that was done. Tell me if I am being over critical about their work.

Damage was done to the front left side (wheel area):

Old 12-16-2006, 01:15 PM

And tell me why after I washed my car I had a huge *** scratch. That wasn't there before I washed it. It's like the paint rubbed off or something.

Old 12-16-2006, 03:35 PM
Doctor D I presume???

I would take that **** back and b!tch to them to redo it.
Old 12-17-2006, 03:08 AM

Like everyone had said complain about the sub standard work that they have done on your car and tell them you are not satisfied. Of course not everything is going to fit perfectly after a collision and getting the car repaired, but a paint job with visible signs of scratches and touch-up etc is highly unacceptable. I know it might be a bit of a inconvenience, but take it back have have them fix it properly to your satisfaction.
Old 12-17-2006, 03:54 AM
Cletus

most good body shops have a guarantee for their work.

i didnt notice above, but did insurance pay for this? if so, have them contact the body shop. they have more pull and can get it fixed. you shouldnt even have to talk to the body shop.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:34 AM

Totally agree....
Old 12-18-2006, 07:28 AM

The place that I went to guarantee their work. I took it back this morning and the owner said they would take care of it.

My new updated list:
1. Whenever I go over a bump I hear a noise coming from the right front wheel area that sounds like the car drops really low and drags.
2. My steering wheel now sits tilted to the right and pulls to the left.
3.Both front doors are off track (more so with the right door). It sits lower than it should and sounds if it’s hitting something as it closes.
4. I’ve notice chipped paint on the left front fender and the rear bumper.
5.The gas tank door sits out farther than it should.
6. My alarm isn't work at all.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:37 AM

The place that I went to guarantee their work. I took it back this morning and the owner said they would take care of it.

My new updated list:
2. My steering wheel now sits tilted to the right and pulls to the left.
3.Both front doors are off track (more so with the right door). It sits lower than it should and sounds if it’s hitting something as it closes.
5.The gas tank door sits out farther than it should.
2. Have the shop or maybe a suspension shop to check for suspension damages, control arms, sway bar endlinks, ball joints and even the sub-frame. My sister once hit a pothole, bent her right control arm and the front sub frame. This caused the caster to be off and the car to pull to the right.

3., 5. Maybe you may want to have them put your car on a frame machine and take some measurements.

How bad was the damage ? Do you have any pictures of the damages ?
Old 12-18-2006, 07:56 AM

I have a black and white printout of the car before the repairs but I left it at home. I will scan it and post it up when I get home this afternoon. I believe the damage that was done to my car was considered major damage. In fact the majority of the damage was to my front right wheel (They even had to replace that rim). I remember seeing the estimate and they did replace my control arm. I remember seeing bar something , but I’m not sure if it was the sway bar.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:59 AM

what's a frame machine and was does it do?
Old 12-18-2006, 09:04 AM

what's a frame machine and was does it do?
A good frame machine is able to measure the critical dimensions of the chassis in 3D. If there is anything out of spec, a frame machine should be able to catch it. But this also depends on the skill and accuracy of the operator.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:18 AM

I have a black and white printout of the car before the repairs but I left it at home. I will scan it and post it up when I get home this afternoon. I believe the damage that was done to my car was considered major damage. In fact the majority of the damage was to my front right wheel (They even had to replace that rim). I remember seeing the estimate and they did replace my control arm. I remember seeing bar something , but I’m not sure if it was the sway bar.
I would imagine with that kind of damage, the whole front suspension (spindle/knucle, wheel bearings, strut assembly, tie rods and the items I mentioned earlier) should be inspected and replaced if damaged. Insurance will always try to minimize the payout amount and you have to get the shop to fix it to its pre-loss condition. Sometimes, the damage is not visible to the naked eyes.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:11 AM

Thanks bsetiawan, I will call them and ask them about the frame machine.

"Insurance will always try to minimize the payout amount and you have to get the shop to fix it to its pre-loss condition. Sometimes, the damage is not visible to the naked eyes."

My inusranced paid for all the repairs (minus deductible), you talking about fixing it out of my pocket?
Old 12-18-2006, 11:30 AM
Banned

^^ did your gas tank door sit out before?

because my gas tank door sits out as well....
Old 12-18-2006, 11:48 AM

Thanks bsetiawan, I will call them and ask them about the frame machine.

"Insurance will always try to minimize the payout amount and you have to get the shop to fix it to its pre-loss condition. Sometimes, the damage is not visible to the naked eyes."

My inusranced paid for all the repairs (minus deductible), you talking about fixing it out of my pocket?
No, my point is ....... Insurance will always send out their adjuster to try and minimize the amount they pay out. They will try not to repair things that don't look damaged or try to repair parts instead of replacing them. If they have to replace the parts, they will replace them with aftermarket instead of OEM. Sometimes they will even take short cuts in the repair process to reduce the costs.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:24 PM

I think I finally pissed off the owner. I mentioned the frame machine and he want on about how he was fixing my rear bumper which had nothing to do with the accident. He kind upset me because that is so minor compared to finding out if there was damage to my frame.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:07 PM

I think I finally pissed off the owner. I mentioned the frame machine and he want on about how he was fixing my rear bumper which had nothing to do with the accident. He kind upset me because that is so minor compared to finding out if there was damage to my frame.
Is that shop one of the insurance company's direct repair shop ? If it is, file a complain with the insurance and demand that the car be restored to its "Pre-Loss Condition". If not, you can try to find a government agency that regulates the automotive repair industry in your state; in CA we have Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR).
Old 12-18-2006, 01:07 PM
is invisible

I tried to complain to the local body shop about some work and they basically threw me out the place, without even looking at it.
I tried to be diplomatic about it etc., but they probably saw me as soft.
It was on leased car so it wasn't really worth following up on.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:47 PM

Yeah it's one of their direct repair shops...
Old 12-19-2006, 07:52 AM

I just got of the phone with my insurance technician. Since I took the car back to the body shop they sent a technician to look it over.

He went over my list with me:

1. I have to go back out there and do a ride along to point out the noise.
2. Supposedly they fixed that. We’ll see.
3. He basically told me that he’s certain that was a pre-accident problem.
4. Fix the front fender and going to check into the rear fender. I think he means they touched up the front fender. Which I already knew, so it still looks like ****.
5. Tried to tell me that was because it sat for a month. Said they sprayed WD-40 and aligned it (I’m sure they bent it). Are you kidding me?!?!
6. Supposedly they replaced a fuse, which is kind of funny because that’s the first thing I checked.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:10 PM

Here is that picture I promised. Sorry for the crappy quality.

Old 12-19-2006, 12:30 PM

And tell me why after I washed my car I had a huge *** scratch. That wasn't there before I washed it. It's like the paint rubbed off or something.

Lemme guess: you washed and waxed it prior to the paint curing?
Old 12-20-2006, 09:02 AM

I washed it but I didn't wax it. How long does it take fresh paint to fully dry?

Anyway the insurance technician looked over their pictures (pre-repairs) they took and didn't notice that scratch so they are going to pay to have it repaired. I told them clowns...
Old 12-20-2006, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by pikers
Lemme guess: you washed and waxed it prior to the paint curing?
If he had waxed it right away, the paint will look cloudy and not scratched like that.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:26 AM

I washed it but I didn't wax it. How long does it take fresh paint to fully dry?
Usually most people will wait at least 30 days under normal weather condition.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:28 AM

You need to wait at least 30 days before putting wax on the car.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:32 AM

Ok cool, but is that just wax or is that 30 days before wax and wash?
Old 12-20-2006, 04:55 PM

Ok cool, but is that just wax or is that 30 days before wax and wash?

wash all you want,no wax

Quick Reply: My Car after a accident and repairs...