5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Need Help ASAP with IAC Module

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 03:42 PM

Need Help ASAP with IAC Module

I replaced the Intake Air Control Module in my 2001 AE last night, and once I started the car I saw my RPMs shoot up to 3K and stay there. I turned off the car, and double checked all of the connectors and all of my work. I took the air box & throttle body off just to double check everything was in place. Exact same thing occurred once again after I cranked the car. I left it sitting over night and not too long ago I tried starting it once again. Although the car does not even starts. I did see some coolant dripping from one of the hoses during the swap process of IAC. Level is fine, although what about the vacuum pressure which leads in the IAC, should I look into that. Does anyone have any ideas on what I should be after, thank you very much in advance.

Andrei
Old 12-17-2006, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by soonerfan
do you have a 98 like your profile says? or a 5th gen?
Sorry I didn't mentioned this earlier, although it's a 5th gen.

Andrei
Old 12-17-2006, 04:32 PM

When you turn the ignition switch to ON for a few seconds and then OFF for at least a few seconds can you hear the IACV operate on both those operations? It sounds kinda like a buzzing and maybe a weird click or two. Did you disconnect the battery at the start of the job?
Old 12-17-2006, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by P. Samson
When you turn the ignition switch to ON for a few seconds and then OFF for at least a few seconds can you hear the IACV operate on both those operations? It sounds kinda like a buzzing and maybe a weird click or two. Did you disconnect the battery at the start of the job?
I do hear a click after I turn the key to ON position, but not a buzzing sound. When I try to start the car, it feels like something is missing & not giving it to crack. And yes, the battery was disconnected prior to the start.

Andrei
Old 12-17-2006, 05:30 PM

Are you sticking your head down near the TB? If you're by yourself you gotta move fast.......from driver's door to under the hood fairly quickly. The buzzing should last maybe a second or so.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:33 PM

Are you sticking your head down near the TB? If you're by yourself you gotta move fast.......from driver's door to under the hood fairly quickly. The buzzing should last maybe a second or so.
I had my uncle help me so that I won't have to run & stick my head under the hood every time. There is only one click which I can hear. What would this buzzing sound indicate which you are trying to explain. Thank you in advance to everyone else for any input on this problem.

Andrei
Old 12-17-2006, 09:27 PM

The "buzz" is an indication that the IACV is operating/being controlled by the ECM. With my '00 anytime (engine cold or warm) I turn the ignition from ON to OFF and visa-versa there is a definite weird buzz sound from the TB for a period of about a good second or so. And this is also per the FSM. I think it should be more than a "click". You are sure that you've got all electrical connectors pushed "home", and all hoses connected? Is the throttle on the normal stop (if you pull back on the start stop?) Did you by any chance remove the TPS? How long did you let the engine run before shutting it down? It might take a few seconds for the idle to drop on the initial start and especially considering the elevated "cold" idle function, and that the ECM has the relearn stuff to go through. Right now I don't think it knows where the IACV is. I've gone through the FSM and right now I've got no other great ideas. Some procedures are contingent on you getting the engine up to operating temp.
Old 12-24-2006, 07:30 PM

The "buzz" is an indication that the IACV is operating/being controlled by the ECM. With my '00 anytime (engine cold or warm) I turn the ignition from ON to OFF and visa-versa there is a definite weird buzz sound from the TB for a period of about a good second or so. And this is also per the FSM. I think it should be more than a "click". You are sure that you've got all electrical connectors pushed "home", and all hoses connected? Is the throttle on the normal stop (if you pull back on the start stop?) Did you by any chance remove the TPS? How long did you let the engine run before shutting it down? It might take a few seconds for the idle to drop on the initial start and especially considering the elevated "cold" idle function, and that the ECM has the relearn stuff to go through. Right now I don't think it knows where the IACV is. I've gone through the FSM and right now I've got no other great ideas. Some procedures are contingent on you getting the engine up to operating temp.
Car has been sitting in the garage for over a week since I didn't have a change to have my buddy stop by with a scanner. Hopefully after Christmas I should find out if ECU gives any codes. Other then that, there is nothing else I can do at this point.

Andrei
Old 12-25-2006, 12:16 AM

are you sure that 'buzz' isn't gas being injected into the combustion chamber?