5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Changing Guages questions on a 2000

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 11:18 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Changing Guages questions on a 2000

I recently purchased an AE 2001 cluster. I bought it to remove the guage faces and replace it with those that came on my GXE.

My questions are:

1) I know that each gauge is seperated on the 00/01, however when you remove it, do you need to remove the needle indicator?

2) When installing the gauges, will I need to recalubrate the cluster with the dealership?

3) Are the chrome rings on the AE cluster glued on and can they be removed? I have not opened it yet because I fear of breaking it.

Thanks to everyone who can help me solve this issue.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:28 AM
S_H_I_F_T_

all the info to remove

This procedure works on virtually all Nissan meters which has a digital trip/odo. If you have the analog/mechanical trip/odo, don't bother reading.

Background:
Nissan meters w/ the digital trip/odo has a built-in diagnostics function that will automatically position the needles at a fixed location for all 4 gauges (tach, speedo, fuel, temp). This location is useful for needle re-calibration.

Here's what you have to do:
Before removing your needles, you need to mark this 'fixed' location by:
a) Turning key to OFF
b) While holding the trip/odo reset button down, turn the key to IGN position & hold the button down for at least 0.8 seconds. (1-2 seconds is perfectly fine - no need to rush).
c) After that, push the button 3 times in the next few seconds (you'll have about 7 seconds to do this).

You will notice that all segments of the trip/odo will be illuminated.

NOW, when you push and hold the button, the needles will move to a fixed (calibration) mode. You can mark this spot, then safely remove the needles. As long as you're in the diagnostics mode, the needles will move to the set location when you hold the button down & return to zero position when you release the button. You can do this over & over until you are comfortable with your markings.

(To leave the diagnostics, you can simply turn the key back to the OFF position).

Now, you can remove the needles by gently prying them off. or unsrew counter clockwise pulling up with gentle pressure

To reinstall the needles, simply go back in to the diagnostics using the steps outlined above. Move the needle base to the 'fixed' location by holding the button down and setting the needles to the location you marked. Then, just push the needles in gently.

If you had removed the needles before marking this set location, you're basically screwed.

my cluster modified using this method.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:19 PM

NJMAX2KSE thank you!
Just to make sure I understood. I follow the 3 steps and the cluster will remember the position of the needles. So basically I need to remove the glass from the cluster first so that I can remove the needles while the cluster is still inside the dash. BTW does this also mean that I can put the needles to a set spot like for example 60mph and they will stay that way in memory. And after I am done with the procedure, I can put it back on the 60mph mark and it will indicate as it was before the procedure.

Thanks so much

Originally Posted by NJMAX2KSE
This procedure works on virtually all Nissan meters which has a digital trip/odo. If you have the analog/mechanical trip/odo, don't bother reading.

Background:
Nissan meters w/ the digital trip/odo has a built-in diagnostics function that will automatically position the needles at a fixed location for all 4 gauges (tach, speedo, fuel, temp). This location is useful for needle re-calibration.

Here's what you have to do:
Before removing your needles, you need to mark this 'fixed' location by:
a) Turning key to OFF
b) While holding the trip/odo reset button down, turn the key to IGN position & hold the button down for at least 0.8 seconds. (1-2 seconds is perfectly fine - no need to rush).
c) After that, push the button 3 times in the next few seconds (you'll have about 7 seconds to do this).

You will notice that all segments of the trip/odo will be illuminated.

NOW, when you push and hold the button, the needles will move to a fixed (calibration) mode. You can mark this spot, then safely remove the needles. As long as you're in the diagnostics mode, the needles will move to the set location when you hold the button down & return to zero position when you release the button. You can do this over & over until you are comfortable with your markings.

(To leave the diagnostics, you can simply turn the key back to the OFF position).

Now, you can remove the needles by gently prying them off. or unsrew counter clockwise pulling up with gentle pressure

To reinstall the needles, simply go back in to the diagnostics using the steps outlined above. Move the needle base to the 'fixed' location by holding the button down and setting the needles to the location you marked. Then, just push the needles in gently.

If you had removed the needles before marking this set location, you're basically screwed.

my cluster modified using this method.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:20 PM

Yes, the '00 guages and earlier '01 models have all individual guage faces. It's not like the late '01's and '02-'03 where the guages are all one face where the needles have to be removed. As far as swapping the '00 guages with individual guages, it's a direct swap. You don't have to remove the needles. They are just srewed in with a few screws. This answers your question #1. As far as question #2, no. The circuit board on the cluster stores the actual mileage. The guage only reads this mileage. As far as removing the needles, I think NJMAX2KSE explained it wonderfully.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:51 PM

Thanks guys, you are a great help, I shall try it wednesday and will post results.

Thanks!
Old 12-18-2006, 04:51 PM
NOOB

make sure you disconnect the battery.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:13 PM

i took apart the AE cluster and cant figure out how to take the gauges out without taking the needles off. What am i doing wrong?
Old 12-22-2006, 09:15 AM
Future Camaro SS owner

I thought that under my understanding that the miles didn't matter on the cluster cause the ECU stores the miles. That's why if you unplug you cluster and plug it back in the A and B miles are gone but not your actual miles to prevent fraud. Before pulling apart the cluster I would first plug the cluster in. I believe sombody did this a long time ago when I first joined the org back in 2000.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:11 PM

Here is the cluster. Please notice that even with the screws undone, I still cant manage to take out the faces without taking apart the entire thing.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by MyownNismo
I thought that under my understanding that the miles didn't matter on the cluster cause the ECU stores the miles. That's why if you unplug you cluster and plug it back in the A and B miles are gone but not your actual miles to prevent fraud. Before pulling apart the cluster I would first plug the cluster in. I believe sombody did this a long time ago when I first joined the org back in 2000.
No, the cluster stores the actual mileage, not the ECU. There's a chip on the circuit board on the cluster that retains the actual mileage. It has nothing to do with the ECU.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:41 PM

See what I mean?
Old 12-23-2006, 10:39 AM

anyone?.....
Old 12-23-2006, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Gennady7
anyone?.....
You need to remove the cover from the back of the cluster. Then you should see about 4 screws to remove the faces. Then should then come out.
Old 12-24-2006, 01:50 PM

Yes, but the face is still attached by the needles. I had to remove the needle to remove it on one of the faces so far. How do people remove them without taking off the needles? I think its impossible!
Old 12-25-2006, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Gennady7
Yes, but the face is still attached by the needles. I had to remove the needle to remove it on one of the faces so far. How do people remove them without taking off the needles? I think its impossible!
I thought you were looking to remove the whole face as an assembly. If your are trying to remove the face itself, yes the needles must be removed to get to the face. Show a pic of your 2k1 AE cluster. Are the faces all seperate, or are they just one big face?
Old 12-29-2006, 01:06 PM

The pic I posted is of the AE.
I need to figure out the instructions posted by NJMAX2KSE so that I do not have to go to the dealership to have them recalubrate it.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:06 PM

to avoid removing the needles on all of the indicators, I was wondering if the SE and GXE temperature guage and gasoline gauge were complatable if I would just move them.

What I mean is, unscrewing the guage from the entire SE cluster and putting it in the GXE cluster. In particular the gasoline and the temperature guages. Has anyone ever tried this?

Thanks