5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

SO, i just found out my car has frame damage. (never knew)

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 04:59 AM

SO, i just found out my car has frame damage. (never knew)

so i go to hte nissan dealership and check out hte frontier nismo...i'm ready to by it so we are doing hte trade in thing and they come back with paper work stating that the car was in an accident (which i knew, the dealer i bought it from told me it was and that it was a minor buper replacement) an they then told/showed me that there was frame damage reported at the time of the car being bought at auction. (thte dealer i bought it from knew it had frame damage when he bought it, bastard).

so car fax shows the acident, but nothing about frame damage, they used "autocheck" and that shows the frame damage.

so now here i am driving a car that has no value due to this and i now have to see what my legal recourse is with hte dealer i bought hte car from for not diclosing the frame damage to me (i sure as hell would not have bought it).

i am going to go back the the dealership that i bought it from and tell tham that i want them to buy the car back for what i paid (only put 2,000 miles on it since i bought it in may) or i am going to report them to better buisness and look into sueing them (if i can).

i now no longer feel safe in the max because i don't know how bad the damage was and if it was repaired properly.

well this sucks.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:44 AM
I'm a Happy Man!

Hey sorry to hear that man. When I bought my car the car fax was cleaned but about a year and a half later the passenger side rear door paint started to peel but didn't think to much of it because I planned on taking the car in for a brand new paint job but unfortunately about a mouth later I had a little incedent in which I had to take the car to the body shop. Well to make a long story short the was damaged on that door b4 I bought and it cost me about a grand to fix because I had to replace the the door skin. Been that its been over year I decided not to pursue anything dramatic about it but as far as frame damage I would call up your lawyer asap. Well good luck with that.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:58 AM

Just out of curiosity, was it a Nissan dealer you bought it from?
Old 12-21-2006, 08:14 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Damn sorry to hear that boss. Goes to show that carfax is only so accurate. It tells you something but not everything. Hence why I just look the other way as soon as I see accident anywhere in the carfax.

And go figure, my cars hood/bumper have been repainted. I noticed months later. But, no accident report in carfax so, oh well. Nothing major so not worried. Called the original owner and he spilled the beans after the fact of what happened. Explained their was no need to lie, since I could not by law give the car back. It was literally a small fender bender. Nothing to be worried about by me. Still sucks and nothing like your problem.

On to you though, May is a long way from the NY lemon law (3 Months). Call an attorney and see what your options are, but I doubt that they would be many except for possibly bad mouthing the dealer with the Better Business Bureau. I sincerely doubt the dealer will be willing to help you. BUT do wish you the best of LUCK.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:19 AM

I called the atorney general and was told that more or less i am SOL, the dealler did not have to disclose the frame damage to me.

i called the dealer i bought hte car from and he told me strait out that there is no frame dagame...he would not have bought if there was. and he went on to ask how could there be frame damage if its a uni body...

so i looked into the autocheck report and i am waiting to hear back from them on what they classify as frame damage...(maybee they replaced a rear quarter?)

and how can frame damage be reported at auction almost 4 years after the inisial accident took place? there is only one record of an accident and that was in 2002...no mention of frame damage then.

i might end up going and getting hte accident report from the town records of where it happened and see how bad it was...then try to find out from there who repaired it and so on...
Old 12-21-2006, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by MyBlue02

i called the dealer i bought hte car from and he told me strait out that there is no frame dagame...he would not have bought if there was. and he went on to ask how could there be frame damage if its a uni body...
Sounds like fraud to me...
Old 12-21-2006, 10:32 AM
$$ Ballin on a Budget $$

Originally Posted by frankd121
Sounds like fraud to me...

Definitely agree with you there. Sounds like the dealer is covering his a$$. I would still talk to my lawyer and persue this in small claims court. He should have his accident report on file as to what damage was done. So long as he acknowledges the type of damage then I think you've got him. Like you said though do your homework first and find out the history for yourself. ie... local records, where the body work was done and who paid for it.

None the less man... good luck and I hope you burn this guy like he did you!
Old 12-21-2006, 10:44 AM
I'm needing a caw

The report could be wrong also. So there might not be frame damage/unibody damage.

I wouldn't demand the dealer to give up the info. They won't hang their own *****.

You will have to find out this info OWN YOUR OWN. That means tracking down more info on the accident. ie.. who owned it before, finding out where it was worked on and getting a copy of the repair report (if it's still available). THEN you will know exactly what damage there was. If there WAS frame damage, then you can go back to the dealer.

But IMHO frame damage doesn't mean it's value is now nil. Expecially if the title is clean. The title IS clean right?
Old 12-21-2006, 12:50 PM

Did they show you the damage or just tell you about it? I would wonder if they were trying to get it cheap on a trade.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:52 PM

how much does that accident cost?
you can tell from that...

another way is to look at the screws that holds the fander and alignment of the body, paint... etc...
it's a normal thing if that happen in BC, canada... in here it has the darkest second market... it is no use to sue them because they probably had thousands of case waiting for them... when you buy the car, you sign everything which means you understand and accepted the history of the car... so it will not do anything... if you call good business, they will not care... because i never seen anyone will call and check if the shop is good before they buy a car, and they probably had thousands of case waiting for them as well.....

you best way is to sell yr privatly....(don't blame me... this is the way how it works...)
Old 12-21-2006, 03:41 PM
retired moderator

I bet the place you wanted to trade it in was just trying to lowball you by saying that, personally....

should have asked him to SEE the report...
Old 12-21-2006, 11:34 PM

next time you should buy a car at carmax they gurantee no frame damage. but i dont know about new york but in illinois you dont have to disclose that type of information. And they could just say that they did not know either.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

i disagree with carmax and their history reports (false records). ppl these days get scurred of damage that they freak out. if u dnt like this buy a NEW car from dealership with 0 miles on it (like my dad did) or buy from auction and fix yourself (like i did, kept all my receipts and repair info.). no hassle and no problems when u know wat u fix or buy! im
Old 12-22-2006, 04:44 AM
I R The Law

Damn that sucks to hear. I hope everything goes well.

OT:
Arturz....I see your from sac...which part of sac?
Old 12-22-2006, 06:27 AM

You went to a dealer to trade in a car. Nine years of retail car sales experience here, there's a great chance they simply didn't want the car. If they had to take it, they wanted a good excuse to offer you very little for it. If someone brought me a car trying to trade it in, and I learned that they just bought it earlier in the year would immediately tell me someone was going to be dissappointed with ANY fair trade value I could assign to it.

Moving on...
What exactly is the damage. You've seen it? Take a pic, what are they talking about? People hear the words "frame damage" and instantly freak out.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:15 AM

i do have hte report in my posesion...something really is not making sense though...this company (autocheck) is not returning my e-mails...i'm trying to find out for frame damage got reported 4 years after any acident was reported...and why it was reported AT AUCTION no less. i am trying to get a explanation from them as to who reported it and if they stand by it, and what they consider frame damage in regards to a unibody.

the funny thing is that the dealership still wants the car..."we want to have one of hte teck go over it on the lift and are top sales manage/owner still wants to look at it" so after having some time to think about it i think they are trying to screw me.

especially after they tell me nissan just bought a contrack with autocheck and thats all they use now...i call a diff dealership that i was also shopping at and they only use carfax and never herd of autocheck....

so i'm no freaking out anymore...i think it was reported at auction so someone could get a lower price on it.

i'm just going to keep for a bit...theres nothing wrong with it and the truck is noce...but i'll just keep the max and pay off more and go back later on in the new year and see whats up...
Old 12-22-2006, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by irish44j
I bet the place you wanted to trade it in was just trying to lowball you by saying that, personally....

should have asked him to SEE the report...

Old 12-22-2006, 09:03 AM
Z

Originally Posted by madboxer

Learn to read. He DOES have the report.