5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.
View Poll Results: What Volume do you listen to the steroe at?
1-6
2.03%
7-12
12.84%
13-16
18.24%
17-22
16.22%
22+
20.95%
Bose was terrible, Got an Aftermarket HU
29.73%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

What level do you set your volume to?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 05:14 AM
Don't you know who I am?

What level do you set your volume to?

I've owned a number of Maximas in my life, and the 4th gen had a much better Bose stereo system. The 5.5 gen system really stinks for me. I have to turn the volume up to 22-25 just to get a good cruising sound. Everything else seems real quiet. I wanted to know if other people have this problem too. When I first test drove the car (used), the dealer had not yet hooked the OEM stereo up (the previous owner used an after-market system). They promised me when I picked the car up the system would be in working order. However, I'm kind of thinking the dealer may have screwed it up when re-wiring the OEM system which is causing this volume problem, maybe they bypassed the preamps, but I wanted to get a feeling for what others use on their stock system. I have a 5.5 gen 6 disc changer (also, the skipping on the thing is atrocious)
Old 12-29-2006, 06:32 AM
You embarrass me.

22+ Normal Radio and CDs

13-16 iPod w/ Tape Adapter. The iPod adds volume.

The OEM system is terrible. Next investment: Alpine or Eclipse Headunit.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:07 AM
Time2go!

I do not even turn on the HU. I use a JL Audio Interface CL441dsp
OEM Audio Interface with Automatic Digital EQ. 4-ch. IN / 4-ch. OUT / 1 AUX Input. Add 1 60 Gig ipod and forget about the HU.
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_c...hp?prod_id=369
The cure for factory sound no longer requires major surgery.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you own a newer vehicle, like the ones shown here, chances are that the head unit is not easily replaced due to cosmetic or functional concerns. This doesn't mean you have to settle for whatever audio quality your vehicle manufacturer decided was "good enough".
By accepting, processing and controlling the audio from almost any factory-installed head unit or amplifier, CleanSweep® makes virtually any modern vehicle a candidate for high-end sound, without costly fabrication, integration or radical surgery to the dashboard (and without needing to purchase an aftermarket head unit).
Think of it as freedom of choice wrapped in black sheet-metal.
I also run 1 JL 300/4 amp with all MB Quart Q-Line QSD 216
Component Speakers (1) 12 W 3 Sub and a Fusion 1200 mono block.......
Everything looks "Stock" but the car "Rocks"

Old 12-29-2006, 07:34 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I too gotta get my sound up to 20+ before it begins to sound "kinda" loud. I have noticed that home made CD's quality are a bit more difficult to hear/muffled than store bought/original CD's. Maybe a setting on my CD burning software is responsible...
Old 12-29-2006, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Time2go!
OEM Audio Interface with Automatic Digital EQ. 4-ch. IN / 4-ch. OUT / 1 AUX Input. Add 1 60 Gig ipod and forget about the HU.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you own a newer vehicle, like the ones shown here, chances are that the head unit is not easily replaced due to cosmetic or functional concerns. This doesn't mean you have to settle for whatever audio quality your vehicle manufacturer decided was "good enough".
By accepting, processing and controlling the audio from almost any factory-installed head unit or amplifier, CleanSweep® makes virtually any modern vehicle a candidate for high-end sound, without costly fabrication, integration or radical surgery to the dashboard (and without needing to purchase an aftermarket head unit).
Think of it as freedom of choice wrapped in black sheet-metal.
Component Speakers (1) 12 W 3 Sub and a Fusion 1200 mono block.......
that is sweet! One of my conundrums was that I didn't want to alter the dash with an aftermarket HU. Some folks make them look decent but for the most part I think it looks ****ty. This could be the answer though.

Out of curiousity what did your complete setup end up costing you? If you could break the cost down by each component that'd be nice, in particular this JL Audio Clean Sweep.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:01 AM
Don't you know who I am?

Originally Posted by 707SE
I too gotta get my sound up to 20+ before it begins to sound "kinda" loud. I have noticed that home made CD's quality are a bit more difficult to hear/muffled than store bought/original CD's. Maybe a setting on my CD burning software is responsible...

Not sure about that, because I experience the same thing. Maybe a high-powered music burning program like Nero would help, not sure it's just generic settings.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:13 AM
Go BUCKS!!!

50 - but I ditched the OEM non-bose a LONG time ago.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:01 AM

20-22 with that stupid SCV off.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:08 AM

Around 22 to 24 is where it sounded best in my Maxima. The new Bose in the Infiniti sounds so much better.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:50 AM
I'm a Happy Man!

mines is 40 i got the avic z1 i ditched the bose a very long time ago
Old 12-29-2006, 10:03 AM
Don't you know who I am?

Originally Posted by infiniteecho
Around 22 to 24 is where it sounded best in my Maxima. The new Bose in the Infiniti sounds so much better.
I've heard that, but I know nothing about them. Are they compatible? If I could get my hands on one, perhaps a swap would help...
Old 12-29-2006, 10:17 AM

How's the sound quality with this setup? I'm looking for a solution that still lets me use the factory Bose HU, but gives me as close to CD sound as possible from an iPod.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:38 AM
Bigger than Jesus

Cruising on the highway I would have to turn it up over 22. But I quickly changed to an aftermarket HU. They don't call it BLOSE for nothing.
Old 12-29-2006, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Rydicule
I've heard that, but I know nothing about them. Are they compatible? If I could get my hands on one, perhaps a swap would help...
The speakers and amp would probably fit... I have 1" tweeters, 6.5" mids front and rear doors and an 8" sub. I think they really upped the power from the Maxima. The sub doesn't get clipped down at high volumes, it just keeps pounding away. Sounds great for OE. Blows my mom's Volvo Prologic II setup away.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:30 PM

Depending what I have on, I usually leave it around vol. 9-11, bass +1, treb +1, everything else default. Above 13 starts to hurt my ears (and I'm already partially deaf). Above 15, my passengers plug their ears. Above 19 all the panels and mirrors shake so bad that I can't see anything in them. I've taken it all the way to 25, but by then, the bass is so distorted that it's nothing but a bunch of teeth-chattering farting sounds.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:57 PM

holy crap some of ya'll are insane. I have the BOSE and if I turn it over 20 it's waaay too loud for me! I usually have it at around 12 but sometimes I turn it up to 16. I also have my speed sensitive volume control set to high which makes a pretty big difference at highway speeds.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by LA02MAX
holy crap some of ya'll are insane. I have the BOSE and if I turn it over 20 it's waaay too loud for me! I usually have it at around 12 but sometimes I turn it up to 16. I also have my speed sensitive volume control set to high which makes a pretty big difference at highway speeds.
:haha: I often have my new Bose to 31. What an odd number for it to stop at? Bose designes their systems so that even at max volume, you won't blow out your speakers. I have to say, I came from having an 8,000 dollar stereo in my 96 Maxima, and while it doesn't have nearly the clearity and depth of sound, for what it is, it's not 1/2 bad. They really stepped it up in the Infiniti. I was quite surprised. I wish they had done the same in the Maxima. I was really let down in my 2003 Maxima.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:57 AM
Sports Button FTW

the stock system is the first thing on the car that should be replaced....aside from the garbage stock alarm. A cd player without mp3 capability is so 20th century
Old 12-30-2006, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by meccanoble
the stock system is the first thing on the car that should be replaced....aside from the garbage stock alarm. A cd player without mp3 capability is so 20th century
IMO performance comes first....lowering should be the first thing you spend money on with these cars as they come preset for off roading from the factory...
Old 12-30-2006, 09:07 PM
Drug Money

Well, i had a Nissan stereo... weak sauce.

I slap now with my AVIC N1 and MTX sub and amp
Old 12-30-2006, 09:15 PM
It's business time.

My factory Bose HU doesn't have a volume readout.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i just bought a 3rd gen maxima and the bose system is really really great one of the nicest stock speakers iv heard.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:52 AM
wat

LOUD ftw

+1 post count yay
Old 12-31-2006, 03:55 AM
Need A Light?

Originally Posted by LA02MAX
agreed...i dunno how ya'll are doing 20-25 to get a "decent" sound...my stock bose gets pretty loud for me after 18ish...i'm usually doing around 10-15 with vsc off and +5 treble and +2 bass...maybe im just gettin too old...
Old 01-01-2007, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by steven88
agreed...i dunno how ya'll are doing 20-25 to get a "decent" sound...my stock bose gets pretty loud for me after 18ish...i'm usually doing around 10-15 with vsc off and +5 treble and +2 bass...maybe im just gettin too old...
It more depends on the music ... most music is around 10. But, if it's a song that I love, it'll go way up. So, I don't role around with my music @ 25 the entire time.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:10 AM
I'm watching you, boy...

I agree... I can't remember what I kept the volume on my 02 GLE set to (probably around 15 with the iPod and a cassette adaptor), but in my dad's I35, 15-20 is about right with bass at +3 and treble at +5. Yeah, B(L)OSE was the first thing to get replaced in my Maxima, though...
Old 01-02-2007, 11:05 AM

Of I choose Bose was terrible, I got an aftermarket HU. Ok, this is a lie. Bose is some good stuff. Clarion MAX675VD + Boston acustics speakers + boston subs are better
Old 01-02-2007, 01:19 PM
Time2go!

"How's the sound quality with this setup? I'm looking for a solution that still lets me use the factory Bose HU, but gives me as close to CD sound as possible from an iPod."

I will tell you it It sounds better than any CD. I do not even have to turn on my HU to listen to my iPod. This is not a iTrip FM Mod or a Ipod to Cas. adpt. it is hard wired. My whole interior look stock except for one little button my the seat heaters switches.
If I turn on the HU (for Traffic or Weather) and switch to "Stock HU mode" on the JL clean sweap is now BOSE HU with 30 Chan DSP EQ before the Amps and MB Quarts. All Stearing wheel functions work like it was stock.
If I hit the button to Aux (iPod) mode I can turn the Factory HU off and run everything off the ipod with the JL Audio volume ****.

Component Speakers
(1) 12 W 3 Sub and a Fusion 1200 mono block.......

Old 01-02-2007, 01:55 PM
Time2go!

that is sweet! One of my conundrums was that I didn't want to alter the dash with an aftermarket HU. Some folks make them look decent but for the most part I think it looks ****ty. This could be the answer though.

Out of curiousity what did your complete setup end up costing you? If you could break the cost down by each component that'd be nice, in particular this JL Audio Clean Sweep.

*Note* I installed everything myself and remember good sound is like performance. You get what you pay for and cutting cost is not an option for me. I would much rather put out the cash one time then rplace cheep crap 5 time and end up with what I orig. wanted 500.00
(1)JL Clean Sweap...CL441dsp about $300.00
(1)JL AMP 300/4 Class A/B Four-Channel Full-Range Amp about $350.00
(2)MB Quart Q-Line QSD 216 Component Speakers $475.00
(1) JL 12 w 3 Sub $250.00
(1) Fusion Mono block Amp 1200 W @ 1 Ohm. 450.00 ( From Audio Buddy)

About 200 SQ FT of eDead Liek Dynamat but better.

Old 01-03-2007, 11:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 707SE

naw its not the burning software....Burning software is all the same, its the bitrate in which the music is transferrerd to the CD...if and when you can TRY AND USE A 192Kbps for your bitrate....IF THE ORIGINAL SONG WAS poorly encoded (less than 128 Kbps) then there is nothing you could do

AS FAR AS THE VOLUME...I SWAPPED TO AN AFTERMARKET HU THE 2ND WEEK I HAD MY CAR
Old 01-03-2007, 12:39 PM

"How's the sound quality with this setup? I'm looking for a solution that still lets me use the factory Bose HU, but gives me as close to CD sound as possible from an iPod."

I will tell you it It sounds better than any CD. I do not even have to turn on my HU to listen to my iPod. This is not a iTrip FM Mod or a Ipod to Cas. adpt. it is hard wired. My whole interior look stock except for one little button my the seat heaters switches.
If I turn on the HU (for Traffic or Weather) and switch to "Stock HU mode" on the JL clean sweap is now BOSE HU with 30 Chan DSP EQ before the Amps and MB Quarts. All Stearing wheel functions work like it was stock.
If I hit the button to Aux (iPod) mode I can turn the Factory HU off and run everything off the ipod with the JL Audio volume ****.

Component Speakers
(1) 12 W 3 Sub and a Fusion 1200 mono block.......
Wow, thanks for the response. This is exactly what I've been looking for then. I want a 100% factory look system that rocks. After having 2 $1500+ systems stolen out of previous cars, I'm sold on keeping the interior looking exactly like factory.

I'm surprised the Cleansweep isn't getting more attention - I've had a hard time finding any end user reviews online. Any forums w/ more users/info? I think you've sold me either way. Stupid question though - is there anyway to use the factory Bose amps and speaks? I'd like to interface an iPod first, add a sub second, and replace speaks & amps last.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:24 PM

I haven't had my max too long, and I'm looking to put in my system without changing the HU. I've got 2 12" Infiniti Subs and either a Rockford Fosgate amp or MTX. What I want to know is if it will sound any good. I've heard that it won't and bose BLOWS, but I like the look of the factory HU. If I do end up changing it, I'd rather just put in a screen, but right now that kinda cash isn't available. So basically, is it worth getting my system installed with my brand new amps with the factory HU? Or should I just stick with stock until I replace the HU..which won't be anytime soon..
Old 01-03-2007, 03:50 PM

Generally, with my stock system, I keep it at around 20, and with the speed sensitive control, it seems to do the trick unless I'm really enjoying the song.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:40 PM
is invisible

Originally Posted by 03blackmaxse
I haven't had my max too long, and I'm looking to put in my system without changing the HU. I've got 2 12" Infiniti Subs and either a Rockford Fosgate amp or MTX. What I want to know is if it will sound any good. I've heard that it won't and bose BLOWS, but I like the look of the factory HU. If I do end up changing it, I'd rather just put in a screen, but right now that kinda cash isn't available. So basically, is it worth getting my system installed with my brand new amps with the factory HU? Or should I just stick with stock until I replace the HU..which won't be anytime soon..
ask these guys: http://forums.maxima.org/forumdispla...aysprune=&f=25
imo you're better off waiting to replace the HU
Old 01-04-2007, 12:49 PM
Time2go!

Originally Posted by 03blackmaxse
The JL Clean Sweap unit works after the HU and before the AMPs / Speakers.
It takes speaker output and corrects it using ESP because a simple line level converters cannot correct for this equalization. THE JLCS USES esp.
Read this link dude. Trust me it sounds great. Also you get 2 pairs of digital balance lines to run to your Amps! with an AUX imput..(ie ipod hook up)
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_c...php?page_id=92

If you use after market amps you have to replace your BLOSE BOSE speakers anyhow they have Amps on them because they run at 1/2 Ohm or some crap like that.

Old 01-05-2007, 01:13 PM

I have to turn my Bose HU to 22+ because only my passenger side speakers work. I tried Chris.s's Bose 6cd cutout fix yesterday but it doesn't seem like the ribbon cable was the problem. Maybe a loose connection somewhere.