5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Roadside Emergency...

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 06:08 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Roadside Emergency...

So while driving home from Atlanta for the weekend, I ran over a piece of metal in the road and popped my rear tire. Right after it happened, I could feel that I had something in my tire. I pulled over to find out that it appeared to be a concreta nail bent like a "C" and went in at a 45 degree angle. The tire was loosing air fast. Anyhow, I had to use my spare which sucked cause I was still 90 miles from home and having to drive much slower on a spare sucked. I had considered the idea getting a spare rim for a full-size spare, but this wouldnt have worked cause I couldnt even put the popped tire back in the spare tire location. The hole was too small and the tire wouldnt even fit in it. Also, this led me to think that I was pretty lucky to have a rear tire blow instead of a front, cause I dont think the spare wouldve cleared the 2K4 brake upgrade I installed a bit ago. So, now Im interested to see if anyone else had considered these things. It sucks that I just got my tires 3 weeks ago and now probably have to replace it.....Im banking on having to spend the $$.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:41 AM

well if it was a front,.. you could have taken a rear off.. put the doughnut on the rear,.. take the rear good tire and replaceing it with the front tire and then you would be fine,.. but yeah thats more work,... 3 weeks sucks,.. im assumeing you dont have any kind of insurance on them, well it doesnt hurt to try, a tire patch doesnt cost too much, so trial and error patch it and monitor the air,... and if it leaks buy a new tire
Old 01-03-2007, 05:02 AM

yes! patch worked. it was a "tent spike" looking hook that was about 6 inches long....wtf!
Old 01-03-2007, 05:19 AM

I got a flat on my way to work about a month ago (NJ pothole). I put the spare tire on but it had almost no air in it. Fortunately I was right next to a gas station so I was able to fill it up w/ air.

This is just a reminder to everyone who hasn't checked the air pressure on their spare. If you don't keep air in there, it might not be ready when you need it.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:20 PM

My old car used to attract nails like a super magnet, until finally ponied up for the road hazzard warranty. Works great! All the nails seem to have run away. Never had a flat since then. LOL! Maybe you should give it a try.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:48 PM

One time a 4" nail went straight into my low profile tire, it was so long that it began to scrape my fender which is how i knew something was in my tire. I drove on it to the nearest mechanic (sunday night 10pm) that was open, and he patched it. I didn't have a problem after that as long as I owned my car, for like 6 more months.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:56 PM

while were talking about flat tires.. i saw a video of those never flat tires,.. their pretty crazy ,.. they dont go flat due to their sidewall that is super hard and doesnt deflate,..and u need a device that tells you when ur tires are flat because you cant tell ... weird
Old 01-03-2007, 10:20 PM
AHI

Originally Posted by mist max2000
while were talking about flat tires.. i saw a video of those never flat tires,.. their pretty crazy ,.. they dont go flat due to their sidewall that is super hard and doesnt deflate,..and u need a device that tells you when ur tires are flat because you cant tell ... weird
they are also hard as rocks... ever driven in a vette?
Old 01-04-2007, 09:47 AM

It should be noted that if you patch a tire, it no longer retains its speed rating....