5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Want to upgrade my HID's

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 09:17 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Want to upgrade my HID's

I currently have the stock 4k HID's in my 02. Looking to upgrade to the next available level. I think they are 6000k or something like that. Where is the best place to buy these?

Also, how do I get this blue look in the blinker lights?
Old 01-06-2007, 09:22 AM
supazn

the blue color is just from the blue bulbs.

Old 01-06-2007, 09:35 AM
Doctor D I presume???

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=501071
Old 01-06-2007, 09:43 AM
+Cru OG

www.hidking.com || www.plasmagarage.com
Old 01-06-2007, 10:12 AM
Pointy Elbows

These are the best 6000K bulbs available.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Athen...67716811QQrdZ1
Old 01-06-2007, 10:47 AM

you can order bulbs only from the group deal for $100 i think
Old 01-06-2007, 10:59 AM
It's business time.

You're not upgrading if you're substituting anything greater than 4000k.
Old 01-06-2007, 02:44 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Progress
You're not upgrading if you're substituting anything greater than 4000k.
Big 2nd. Unless asthetics are far more important to you than performance.
Old 01-06-2007, 04:35 PM
retired moderator

^^^^ 6000k bulbs are not an upgrade.

they're a downgrade in visibility.
Old 01-06-2007, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by irish44j
^^^^ 6000k bulbs are not an upgrade.

they're a downgrade in visibility.
What do you mean? How can that be?
Old 01-06-2007, 04:59 PM
dot dot dot ...

Kelvin color scale
Old 01-06-2007, 06:55 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Inverse relationship. Higher the number, lower the output.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:07 PM
No More Maxipad

if you want to upgrade then retrofit some projectors in your headlights i might be bias but i have tsx projectors in my 02 headlights using stock 4300k bulbs and the output is amazing compared to stock! but if you're getting anything higher than stock you're sacrificing output. 6000k will look nicer than the stock hid but it won't be as bright. i don't think you can really upgrade the stock hids other than changing the whole unit.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:22 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by 707SE
What do you mean? How can that be?
I'm too lazy to explain it myself...so here is what someone else posted someplace else. It is correct.

The Kelvin (K) is the unit of color temperature. 4100K is the brightest, most natural white light similar to that of daytime sunlight, and therefore the HID color temperature used most in the OEM automotive industry. When you look at the light coming directly out of an HID headlight, it possesses a bit of a blue or purple hue which most people recognize as the expensive, elegant look characteristic of HID's. For this reason, some HID kit manufacturers produce 5400K, 6500K, 8000K, etc. bulbs that give an even more distinct blue hue but at the expense of overall light output. For comparison, most halogen headlights have a color temperature around 3200K which gives them a "dingy" yellowish appearance compared to HID's.

Blue light is more fatiguing to the eyes, both to oncoming traffic and to the driver. Oncoming cars will see your lights for only a brief time, but as the driver, you must deal with it for the duration of your drive. The bluer the tint cast on the road and surrounding area, the more quickly your eyes become tired.
or another:
Color Temperature is a measurement in Degrees Kelvin that indicates the hue of a specific type of light source. Many people believe the misconception that color temperature is a rating of the brightness of the bulb or HID kit. This belief is completely false. The reality of the matter is that the higher the color temperature, the less useable light output you will obtain. A perfect example would be a black light. This light has a color temperature of approx 12,000k and has almost no useable light or lumens output. Higher K kits such as 7000k, 7500k, etc. have been manufactured for individuals that are more concerned about the actual color output of their lights as opposed to the actual useable light output they produce.
one more:

Many people believe that the higher the colour temperature the brighter the lamp. This is totally wrong. The colour temperature is purely a scale to measure the colour of the light output and is measured on the graph shown as an X and Y coordinate. It is a reference purely for colour and could equally be called White , Green or Blue. The reality is the higher up the scale the lamps are the less bright they become. 4100K lamps are approx 20% brighter (measured in Lumens not degrees K) than the 6000K. If you want lighting performance the 4100K Philips lamps are the best on the market with 3500 lumen.

Google is great, isn't it?
Old 01-07-2007, 08:51 AM

Hi-Beam HID Conversion??

As long as we're on this topic....
Has anyone "converted" their HI-BEAMS to HID's??

I understand reflector vs. projector. I'm looking for the ability to simply DROP-IN a true HID bulb + Ballast into the stock HI-BEAM reflector housing of the OEM cluster.

Thanks for the input.
gr
Old 01-07-2007, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider17
As long as we're on this topic....
Has anyone "converted" their HI-BEAMS to HID's??

I understand reflector vs. projector. I'm looking for the ability to simply DROP-IN a true HID bulb + Ballast into the stock HI-BEAM reflector housing of the OEM cluster.

Thanks for the input.
gr
HIDs for high beams are worthless as they need time to warm up. So, any time you would use them for flash to pass you would be destroying your bulb and it's not great for the ballast either. If you want HIDs for your high beam, you're going to need to do a bi-xenon projector retrofit. e46 come in bi-xenon, if you want to spend more money, you could get some TL or FX bi-xenon projectors.

+1 to everyone that said 6000K bulbs to being a downgrade. It's an optical illusion. You are tricked into thinking you can see more, but in reality the number of lumens being put out is less. If you feel your lights are more gim then other newer HIDs you see driving around, I would recommend replacing your bulbs. Over time you lose lumens to older bulbs color shifting. I replace my HID bulbs once a year. It really is amazing the difference it makes. I'll look for a picture of the comparison.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:16 AM

[QUOTE=infiniteecho]HIDs for high beams are worthless as they need time to warm up. So, any time you would use them for flash to pass you would be destroying your bulb and it's not great for the ballast either. If you want HIDs for your high beam, you're going to need to do a bi-xenon projector retrofit. e46 come in bi-xenon, if you want to spend more money, you could get some TL or FX bi-xenon projectors.
[QUOTE]

I don't think you can support this statement with data.

I've read & researched plenty on this topic - and NOWHERE have I found any data that supports diminished performance over time of an HID bulb or the associated electrical components when subjected to this type of use. THe "warm-up" time on HID's is maybe 2-3 seconds from ignition to full output. However, given the higher output (lumens) of the HID light (roughly double), it stands to reason that even during the "warm-up" phase when the ballast is arcing the bulb, an HID light will still put-out more lumens on average than a standard filament type bulb's maximum output.

It is true that the ability to "Flash to Pass" will certainly be diminished given the startup delay of the HID system, but by no means is the on/off going to harm the ballast or the medium inside the bulb to any relative degree over the life of the unit.
DO THIS:
Go outside and set-off the panic alarm on your car (assuming you own a 5th gen max) and watch BOTH of the BUlbs light-up. YOu can LITERALLY see the HID's ignite BEFORE the std. HI BEAMS. The response time is comparable to an LED bulb to a std. Filament type. Granted, how often are you going to activate your alarm system to engage the lights in this manner? I think the "damage" would be miniscule at best over the life of the car/bulbs.

Similarly, how much / how often do you ACTUALLY use the "flash to pass" feature?? Perhaps more often than the PANIC ALARM flashes the HID's....but truthfully, if this was REALLY a detriment to the bulbs/ballast/wiring system, would Nissan have taken that safety risk??? I doubt it.

"Flash to pass" is really only respected in Europe.....in my 20 years of driving, it is RARE that slower drivers either NOTICE or RESPECT the flash to pass protocol. Honestly - I RARELY use it any longer, because nobody respects it. More than that, in this country, Flashing your lights at slower traffic will frequently elicit two unwanted outcomes: making the driver ahead of you MAD, or instigating an irrational/eradic maneuver by a startled driver from a more aggressive driver approaching from the rear.

I appreciate your input, but frankly you didn't anwser my question.

I'm not interested in buying a bi-zenon, or projector-type system. I'm interested in a less-expensive alternative to improving my current reflector-style OEM setup, by adding another set of HID bulbs to the existing reflector housing....if it is possible/practical.
If anyone has input to advise me whether or not this modification will be an IMPROVEMENT to the existing 5th gen lighting system, that is what I'm looking for.

Thanks,
gr
Old 01-07-2007, 10:31 AM
retired moderator

[QUOTE=ghostrider17][QUOTE=infiniteecho]HIDs for high beams are worthless as they need time to warm up. So, any time you would use them for flash to pass you would be destroying your bulb and it's not great for the ballast either. If you want HIDs for your high beam, you're going to need to do a bi-xenon projector retrofit. e46 come in bi-xenon, if you want to spend more money, you could get some TL or FX bi-xenon projectors.

I've read & researched plenty on this topic - and NOWHERE have I found any data that supports diminished performance over time of an HID bulb or the associated electrical components when subjected to this type of use. THe "warm-up" time on HID's is maybe 2-3 seconds from ignition to full output. However, given the higher output (lumens) of the HID light (roughly double), it stands to reason that even during the "warm-up" phase when the ballast is arcing the bulb, an HID light will still put-out more lumens on average than a standard filament type bulb's maximum output.

It is true that the ability to "Flash to Pass" will certainly be diminished given the startup delay of the HID system, but by no means is the on/off going to harm the ballast or the medium inside the bulb to any relative degree over the life of the unit.
DO THIS:
Go outside and set-off the panic alarm on your car (assuming you own a 5th gen max) and watch BOTH of the BUlbs light-up. YOu can LITERALLY see the HID's ignite BEFORE the std. HI BEAMS. The response time is comparable to an LED bulb to a std. Filament type. Granted, how often are you going to activate your alarm system to engage the lights in this manner? I think the "damage" would be miniscule at best over the life of the car/bulbs.

Similarly, how much / how often do you ACTUALLY use the "flash to pass" feature?? Perhaps more often than the PANIC ALARM flashes the HID's....but truthfully, if this was REALLY a detriment to the bulbs/ballast/wiring system, would Nissan have taken that safety risk??? I doubt it.

"Flash to pass" is really only respected in Europe.....in my 20 years of driving, it is RARE that slower drivers either NOTICE or RESPECT the flash to pass protocol. Honestly - I RARELY use it any longer, because nobody respects it. More than that, in this country, Flashing your lights at slower traffic will frequently elicit two unwanted outcomes: making the driver ahead of you MAD, or instigating an irrational/eradic maneuver by a startled driver from a more aggressive driver approaching from the rear.

I'm not interested in buying a bi-zenon, or projector-type system. I'm interested in a less-expensive alternative to improving my current reflector-style OEM setup, by adding another set of HID bulbs to the existing reflector housing....if it is possible/practical.
If anyone has input to advise me whether or not this modification will be an IMPROVEMENT to the existing 5th gen lighting system, that is what I'm looking for.

Thanks,
gr
the answer to your question is "no." As far as i've seen in 4 years here, nobody has converted the standard highbeam (reflector-style) to HID.

I think it's a bad idea, personally....but it's your car, do what you want. But I don't recall anyone ever doing that setup.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:34 AM

Thanks for answering my question Irish.

I'm not INTENT on doing it - just curious if anyone has successfully switched.
My motorcycle forum has successfully accomplished something similar - but it is unproven as far as longevity and reliability.

Thanks,
gr
Old 01-07-2007, 10:53 AM
Pointy Elbows

Originally Posted by infiniteecho

I replace my HID bulbs once a year.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:59 AM
Bigger than Jesus

For the money involved in switching your high beam to HID it would not be worth it for the amount of use you would get out of it.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider17

DO THIS:

Thanks,
gr

Well, here is why I replace my bulbs every year, for those that questioned me.

The bulb on the right is used and the one on the left is brand new. Same projectors.

Two old bulbs:

Two new bulbs:

So, as you can see the forground light and the intensity is far greater on the new bulbs.

Okay, moving on. So, you say that you have done lots of research as to how HID works and such. I guess you still have more to do? You realize that every time you start your lights the ignitor send 20,000 volts though the HID bulb to turn the salt into a gas, correct? Okay, so, now when you set off your car alarm, yes, the HIDs come on first, but, notice that when the lights have been flashing for a few times they start flashing a red / orange color? That is your bulb getting jolted over and over again by 20,000 volts AFTER it is arleady warmed up. *THIS IS BAD FOR THE BULB* The red is your bulbs way of telling you to stop flashing and abusing it.

When I saw that my HIDs were coming on when my alarm was going off I was pissed off because I couldn't fathom Nissan making such a stupid mistake. If you have done your research on HIDs you would know that repeated startups will damage your bulbs. It's common knowledge.

If you don't ever use flash to pass, do you use your high beams to flash and let someone turn or let them go out infront of you from a parking lot or some such place like that?

It's your money. Spend it how you want. Pulling your highbeams three of four times to let someone know to pass is going to wear you bulbs out faster. End of story. I am just trying to save you from making a bad and impractical investment.

I hope your question has been answered fully and completely now.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:36 PM

Well, here is why I replace my bulbs every year, for those that questioned me.

The bulb on the right is used and the one on the left is brand new. Same projectors.

Two old bulbs:

Two new bulbs:

So, as you can see the forground light and the intensity is far greater on the new bulbs.
explain more about how changing the bulbs would increase the light put other then the obvious fact that the older bulbs decrease in output as they are older and the new ones are brand new, but did just changing the bulbs increase your output that much? From reading the rest of this thread, it seems as there would be more to do to increase the output such as what you have done. Looks great and I would like to do the same if it just means buying new bulbs which are obviously pretty expensive.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by aw89maxSE
explain more about how changing the bulbs would increase the light put other then the obvious fact that the older bulbs decrease in output as they are older and the new ones are brand new, but did just changing the bulbs increase your output that much? From reading the rest of this thread, it seems as there would be more to do to increase the output such as what you have done. Looks great and I would like to do the same if it just means buying new bulbs which are obviously pretty expensive.
The only thing done in that picture is change the bulbs. You can get new bulbs for about 80 dollars for both. That is the best price I have seen so far. Those are 4300K Phillips bulbs.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:11 PM
Pointy Elbows

Do as you wish, but I'd rather not spend that money every year.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:15 PM

It is true that you lose some output with higher rated bulbs, but I needed to match my 6k HID fogs.....
Old 01-07-2007, 03:36 PM

The only thing done in that picture is change the bulbs. You can get new bulbs for about 80 dollars for both. That is the best price I have seen so far. Those are 4300K Phillips bulbs.
how about 4000 bulbs or does it make that much differene and where did you see these $80 bulbs?

edit post:

I've got 6000k bulbs so this post is pointless knowing that 4300k is a definite upgrade
Old 01-07-2007, 04:11 PM

hidexpert.com
Old 01-07-2007, 05:19 PM

these the right 4300k bulbs?

"H7 REBASED D2S/D2R HID BULBS These are BRAND NEW 4300K D2S or D2R HID bulbs with H7 adapters.
The H7 adapters are made of aluminum. with the H7 adapters, the HID bulbs correctly stayed at the FOCUS POINTS of the H7 headlights and provide correct beam pattern.
The HID bulbs are made in Germany and these are the bulbs installed OE in many HID headlamps today. They come with standard 4300K color temperature only and these are the only legal HID bulbs color temperature under DOT/ECE regulations.
What is the difference between D2R and D2S?
D2S bulbs are designed for projector headlamps.
D2R bulbs are designed for reflector headlamps.
Remember to specify the bulb type(D2R or D2S) in your payment.
Price: 80.88/pair + shipping"
Old 01-07-2007, 05:57 PM

Well, it depends on what kind of headlight you have ... do you have H7 lights, or do you have the 2k2 / 2k3 OE HIDs?

If you have the OE HIDs you'll need a set of D2R bulbs, non-rebased.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:15 PM
Drug Money

keep your stock 4,300k bulbs for great visibility. If you want to get the "tuner/ricer" look, go for 8,000k blue bulbs.

...or you can go for the ebay 32,000k ones
Old 01-07-2007, 06:21 PM

I'm not sure. I have the retrofitted ebay projectors with HIDs so I am not sure what is what. Is there a good way to find out?
Old 01-07-2007, 06:22 PM

I got some new phillips d2s (4300K) bulbs (i know because I know someone at a toyota dealership and he showed me their new d2s bulbs for the camry) for about 20 dollars each bulb + shipping, which ended up costing me 54 dollars all together. But that was an e-bay sale and I haven't seen them at that price since. most will run you 60-80 dollars shipped for both from e-bay.

edit:OMG I was looking on e-bay and found some "JDM" D2S bulbs, wow. lol
Old 01-07-2007, 06:24 PM
Pointy Elbows

Originally Posted by Mr. Blue Sky
I got some new phillips d2s (4300K) bulbs (i know because I know someone at a toyota dealership and he showed me their new d2s bulbs for the camry) for about 20 dollars each bulb + shipping, which ended up costing me 54 dollars all together. But that was an e-bay sale and I haven't seen them at that price since. most will run you 60-80 dollars shipped for both from e-bay.
The new Camry has HIDs?
Old 01-07-2007, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by 00MaxSE
The new Camry has HIDs?
yeah I believe some of them do. I saw one from distance, thought it was a lexus and it turned out to be brand new camry. They're starting to get little bit higher in class
Old 01-07-2007, 08:17 PM
retired moderator

everything is going to have HID eventually....the technology is getting cheaper and cheaper.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:09 AM
Pointy Elbows

Originally Posted by irish44j
everything is going to have HID eventually....the technology is getting cheaper and cheaper.
And then LEDs...
Old 01-08-2007, 09:12 AM
I'm a Happy Man!

Originally Posted by MaxBoost925
keep your stock 4,300k bulbs for great visibility. If you want to get the "tuner/ricer" look, go for 8,000k blue bulbs.

...or you can go for the ebay 32,000k ones

32,000K? i hope you meant 12,000k because 32,000k would melt the headlight instantly.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:31 AM
大陆弟弟

Originally Posted by MaximaGT-R
32,000K? i hope you meant 12,000k because 32,000k would melt the headlight instantly.
No it wouldn't, kelvin is a color measure, not temperature. And I thought the new Camry came with H11 halogen projectors....
Old 01-08-2007, 09:53 AM
Pointy Elbows

Originally Posted by n3985
No it wouldn't, kelvin is a color measure, not temperature.
In terms of lightout put only. But it IS a temperature scale.

Quick Reply: Want to upgrade my HID's