5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Parking Lot Hit and Run

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 10:09 PM

Parking Lot Hit and Run

This maybe off topic but I need some advise. Some stupid **** did a hit and run on my maxima. My ride was parked when it got hit and the guy took off. Someone at the parking lot managed to get the ****'s license plate # and he said he would be my withness. Called the damn cops and he gave me a "sorry cannot help you...private property bull crap". Is there anything I should do? Thanks
Old 01-06-2007, 10:41 PM

i'd say the best thing to do is let your insurance company know what happened, the license plate #, and the witness' name, address, and phone number. i think they would take it from there and bring it to court for you, if the guy that hit you doesn't pay up. they'll probably drop it if they pay for the damages, and give you option to press charges
Old 01-06-2007, 11:09 PM
Cletus

always let your insurance people handle things like this.
they have more pull and can get the police involved if they need to.
first they will track the person down using the licence plate number. they will attempt to contact the person and his insurance company to try and settle before getting the police involved. your insurance will push the guy to settle so he doesnt get a citation for hit and run. do it quick before he has time to repair any damage. you need damage on his car to match it up with the damage on yours. if he gets its fixed, you have no case.

i got in a small accident which the lady admitted was her fault at the scene. i called the cops and they said since it was rush hour it would take an hour to get an officer there. we exchanged insurance and then i let my company handle it. she tried to say it was my fault so they sent people to do a complete investigation and take statements from both of us. they had lawyers and trained investigators that were able to look at the damage and intersection and determine fault. it also helped that i sent pictures and a powerpoint presentation to show how the accident happened. her insurance paid!

you dont always need a police report to get your car fixed.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by soonerfan

and a powerpoint presentation to show how the accident happened. her insurance paid!
Ah powerpoint - business communications, 9/11 memorials, weapon of automotive justice...is there anything it can't do??
Old 01-07-2007, 03:17 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by Maximax2
Ah powerpoint - business communications, 9/11 memorials, weapon of automotive justice...is there anything it can't do??
well i built powerpoint briefs for a living so....
the presentation was even animated
my insurance company asked if i would come work for them.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:31 PM

Sorry too here that man, i had someone hit my car while i was over my girlfriends house. some A#$#%%* backed out and didnt even look hit my fender the thing that p#$##$ me off the most. was the fact that they didnt have the common sense to tell somebody. i just happen to find out,when i got too work, i noticed that i had black paint on the side of my car..
Old 01-07-2007, 04:30 PM

yea call your insurance and sue his ***.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:42 PM

Just as sooner said in post#3 you need to ack quickly and let the insurance company know of the incident before this guy does any repairs to his car and possibly end up getting away with it. Most people generally will try to find some way to blame the other driver when sometimes they are 100% at fault for causing the accident. In this type of situation it's nice when a camera is around to tell the tale because usually the person at fault becomes very silent after they learn a camera recorded everything.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:33 PM

i jsut got hit a couple of weeks ago...rear ended and its a $1,000 dollar damage! i called the insurance company and they said i had to pay the 200 dollar deductable and they take care of the rest. I have nationwide. But since you have proof, you should be good.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:18 PM

Make sure to submit a report to DMV. Get that sucker some more points on their license!

[BEGIN QUOTE]

When you are required to report an accident to the DMV

If you are involved in a vehicle accident that occurred in California, you must report it to the DMV if:
•There was property damage of more than $500 or

• Any one was injured (no matter how minor) or killed.

Each driver must make a report to the DMV within 10 days, whether you caused the accident or not and even if the accident occurred on private property. If you have insurance, notify your insurance company and they will file the report an your behalf.DMV Traffic Accident Report form SR 1/SR 1A.

If you do not submit this report, your driving privilege will be suspended. DMV may ask your insurance company to verify that you had coverage in effect at the time of the accident. If you did not have insurance, your driving privilege will be suspended for 1 year. To get your license back, after the suspension, you will need to provide proof of financial responsibility and maintain it on record for 3 years. The accident may count as 1 point on your driving record.

[END QUOTE]
Old 02-01-2007, 05:13 PM

Good info ......
Old 02-01-2007, 05:43 PM
I'm a Happy Man!

seems like all the advices has been giving to you already so i just want to say sorry about your car.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:57 PM

Thanks for all the advices, my insurance found the other party and the party admitted it was her fault. I have just gotten an estimate from their insurance company at ~$800.