5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

check engine light on after intake install

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 10:29 PM

check engine light on after intake install

i just installed a berk intake in my 01 and the check engine light came on. what would cause the check engine light to go on? I looked in the stickies but couldnt find how to get the codes. is there a way to get the codes like on the 4th gens? thanks
Old 01-13-2007, 10:32 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=374481

1 post above yours and is a Sticky.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:40 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by tbombs32
i just installed a berk intake in my 01 and the check engine light came on. what would cause the check engine light to go on? I looked in the stickies but couldnt find how to get the codes. is there a way to get the codes like on the 4th gens? thanks
its probably MAF related.
1. did you plug the MAF back in?
2. are all the intake tubing connection still good?

an intake will not cause a problem. something isnt connected right.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:45 PM
I'm a Happy Man!

check all hoses and make sure the MAF is plugged in tight.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:27 AM

Is the car running abnormally? Go to Autozone or something of the like and get the code read for free with one of their obd2 readers.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:18 AM

I had posted a thread called "SES light" about this same thing, I just installed a berk intake also about a week ago and now my SES light is on also. I also have a 2001. I hooked everything up that is suppose to plug up. I hooked up the MAF and the three hoses. what else is there? One more thing. I do have this factory scoop looking air duct thing that was hooked up to the factory air box that has a plug sensor or something connected to it. What am I suppose to do with it. if you look at my cardomain picture you'll know what factory scoop i'm talking about. any info???
Old 01-14-2007, 07:28 AM

hey tbombs32,
look at my cardmain page at my intake, what did you do with the factory scoop ram air thing that is to the left of the battery. it has a sensor/connector plugged into it. there's no place else to plug it into the intake? what do i do with it? does anyone know?
Old 01-14-2007, 07:48 AM
Chicken Feet Croo!

Originally Posted by asianstyle
hey tbombs32,
look at my cardmain page at my intake, what did you do with the factory scoop ram air thing that is to the left of the battery. it has a sensor/connector plugged into it. there's no place else to plug it into the intake? what do i do with it? does anyone know?
Like sooner said... an intake will not cause an ses light..

Make sure everything is connected properly.. retighten eventhing down and reset the ECU to see if the code comes back

Our Mafs are really sensitive, but it wouldn't just go bad after an intake install.

I installed my berk about 2 years ago and the only thing that worried me was disconnecting the MAF without disconnecting the battery. This 'may' give you a code but nothing is wrong. Just reset the ECU.

Keep in mind that if you can rev past 2k rpm... your MAF is fine
Old 01-14-2007, 09:52 AM

If you are absolutely sure that all the hoses are hooked up, then make sure that the intake air sensor (that's the one in the intake duct) is not hanging close to something hot. Get it as close as possible to your air filter. It can cause the SES light to come on if it sends "crazy" readings to the ECM.
Old 01-14-2007, 02:03 PM
Cletus

hey tbombs32,
on my 00, i just had it ziptied in the general area...never had a problem. some people (like irish) have actually drilled a hole in the intake pipe for the sensor.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:23 PM

I'll check tomorrow to see if the air intake sensor is somewhere to hot, and also I went to autozone and they pulled a code p0420 (the catalyst system efficiency for bank 1 is below threshold for the current engine operating conditions) any info. on this? O2 sensor or catalyst problem. would the air intake sensor mess with this if it is somewhere too hot?
Old 01-14-2007, 07:16 PM

The intake air temp. sensor won't generate a P0420 code. As I mentioned in your other thread I believe your Berk is somehow causing the P0420 code which is a cat. function code. Intake air leaks, injector problems, exhaust leaks, ignition timing etc. are normally associated with this code. In your case, because of the time frame, one has to think that it could be an "air" thing, associated with your intake mod. At times too much O2 is getting dumped into the cat, exceeding its capacity to handle it. Easy to prove......reinstall the stock intake, drive the car for a week and see if the SES light goes out.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by P. Samson
The intake air temp. sensor won't generate a P0420 code. As I mentioned in your other thread I believe your Berk is somehow causing the P0420 code which is a cat. function code. Intake air leaks, injector problems, exhaust leaks, ignition timing etc. are normally associated with this code. In your case, because of the time frame, one has to think that it could be an "air" thing, associated with your intake mod. At times too much O2 is getting dumped into the cat, exceeding its capacity to handle it. Easy to prove......reinstall the stock intake, drive the car for a week and see if the SES light goes out.
i think i am getting a code like this i brought my car to the machanic and he said that and o2 sensor should be replaced and doesnt think it has anything to do with the intake. Could this be the intake or do i just need to replace the o2 sensor?
Old 01-15-2007, 02:24 PM

Your O2 sensors are working fine. They have to be OK to give you the P0420 code. I'm surprised your mech. didn't suggest a cat. change. AGAIN, if you have just done a mod., or made some change related to the engine fuel delivery or emissions system and then shortly afterward the SES light comes on, then you gotta look at what you just did as a possible cause. BASIC troubleshooting.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:24 PM

I'm gonna hook up my stock intake back tomorrow and see if the light goes away. I'll let you know what happens.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:09 PM

so i hooked up my stock box intake and the light is still on, so i'm taking it to the dealer on friday to see what they can do to fix this since I purchased the extended warranty.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:25 PM
Cletus

so i hooked up my stock box intake and the light is still on, so i'm taking it to the dealer on friday to see what they can do to fix this since I purchased the extended warranty.
you do realize that the light wont go off right away. the car has to be started and driven a few times for the ECU to check to see if the problem still exists
Old 01-16-2007, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by P. Samson
Your O2 sensors are working fine. They have to be OK to give you the P0420 code. I'm surprised your mech. didn't suggest a cat. change. AGAIN, if you have just done a mod., or made some change related to the engine fuel delivery or emissions system and then shortly afterward the SES light comes on, then you gotta look at what you just did as a possible cause. BASIC troubleshooting.
my cat was just replaced by the dealer so it couldnt be that
Old 01-16-2007, 03:07 PM

I was being sarcastic. As a couple of us have suggested, drive the car for a few days and see if the SES light goes out. You've got nothing to lose.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:38 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by wngan9447
Like sooner said... an intake will not cause an ses light..

Make sure everything is connected properly.. retighten eventhing down and reset the ECU to see if the code comes back

Our Mafs are really sensitive, but it wouldn't just go bad after an intake install.

I installed my berk about 2 years ago and the only thing that worried me was disconnecting the MAF without disconnecting the battery. This 'may' give you a code but nothing is wrong. Just reset the ECU.

Keep in mind that if you can rev past 2k rpm... your MAF is fine
you dont have to disconnect the battery to disconnect you MAF sensor--if you turn turn the car on with it disconnected the car wont run for very long. also the light could be something totally different and it was just a quincidence that it was after that install