5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

what kind of role does this thing play under the hood? Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 07:52 PM
2002 maxima se

what kind of role does this thing play under the hood? Help

Just installed the berk/apexi combo. the whistling sound is there which i guess is normal. BUT does anyone know what does this thing called in the picture? and if its ok to drive without this thing? it has a green connector on top which i also pointed out in the picture, so do i realy need that connector to be attached on that plastic thing?

here is the picture of the intake.
and another question is: if its ok to not use the braket to support the intake. because the braket that we get with berk unit does not even fit right and also make the squeaky metal sound while driving. . so what you think that intake can hold itself on its own, or do i need to have the braket attached for support?
Old 01-15-2007, 08:12 PM
retired moderator

It's the intake air temperature sensor. Strange that your intake doesn't have a hole for it.

here's where mine is:

Old 01-15-2007, 08:14 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

My '02 doesn't have that plug. OC, did you install an intake on an '01 or an '02?
Old 01-15-2007, 08:18 PM

this is an intake air temperature sensor. It's usually mounted on your air duct. If you don't have it connected then you will get an SES light with error code P0110.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:25 PM
I'm a Happy Man!

check on your intake again there's got to be a place for you to plug it in.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:32 PM

wow im surprised they put it there .... on my frankencar i had to reuse the piece that the sensor what connected to and connect it right to the intake
Old 01-15-2007, 08:33 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

Originally Posted by MaximaGT-R
Trust me, I've had mine out of my car quite a few times. That plug is not part of the tubing in my car.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:35 PM
wat

make a hole for it like i did
Old 01-15-2007, 08:37 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by SEmy2K2go
Trust me, I've had mine out of my car quite a few times. That plug is not part of the tubing in my car.
on the 02-03 the IAT sensor is actually part of your MAF assembly - same plug. That's why your MAFs cost $400 and ours cost $100.

Here's where it SHOULD go on a short-ram (my old Frankencar). On the 02-03 Frankencar intake there is no hole for it....looks like you bought an intake for an 02-03, not an 00-01

you can seen the IAT plugged into the hole between where those cables cross over each other.... just next to the vacuum tube that sticks out of the intake.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:56 PM
2002 maxima se

My '02 doesn't have that plug. OC, did you install an intake on an '01 or an '02?
01 maxima
Old 01-15-2007, 08:57 PM
2002 maxima se

Originally Posted by MaximaGT-R
nope its not there and the intake is for 01 maxima.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:59 PM
2002 maxima se

Originally Posted by irish44j
on the 02-03 the IAT sensor is actually part of your MAF assembly - same plug. That's why your MAFs cost $400 and ours cost $100.

Here's where it SHOULD go on a short-ram (my old Frankencar). On the 02-03 Frankencar intake there is no hole for it....looks like you bought an intake for an 02-03, not an 00-01

you can seen the IAT plugged into the hole between where those cables cross over each other.... just next to the vacuum tube that sticks out of the intake.
yup i can see that plug there. but the intake that i got doesnt have that spot to plug that connector. do you think that berk has given me the intake for 02-03 maxima? i asked for 01 maxima.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:00 PM
I'm a Happy Man!

[QUOTE=irish44j]on the 02-03 the IAT sensor is actually part of your MAF assembly - same plug. That's why your MAFs cost $400 and ours cost $100.

[/QUOTE

Thats explains why it so much money for our MAF.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:01 PM
2002 maxima se

Originally Posted by chopstix2nrz
make a hole for it like i did
make a hole in the metal tube. what are you saying?
Old 01-15-2007, 09:42 PM
drag racing is for wussies

Just let the sensor dangle somewhere in the engine bay, it doesnt affect anything as long as its plugged in.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:38 PM
wat

Originally Posted by OC guy
make a hole in the metal tube. what are you saying?
Yeah just take out the whole IAT sensor, the rubber seal that it goes in (rubber part thats on the scoop) and make a hole big enough for the rubber seal.

Or if you dont wanna mess it up go to pep boys and get some of those chrome looking intake peices (they are actually plastic) and just drill a hole in that and stick it between your MAF and Air filter

Originally Posted by BlackBIRDVQ
Just let the sensor dangle somewhere in the engine bay, it doesnt affect anything as long as its plugged in.
My motor idled smoother at a lower rpm when i put mine in the intake compared to when i had it just tied up in the engine bay
Old 01-16-2007, 05:01 AM
Cletus

i had a berk on my 00 and it didnt have a hole. i just ziptied that sensor in the general area of the intake. yes it was a 3.0 intake because it had extra vacuum tubes that a 3.5 intake doesnt have.
now the same intake is on my 02 and it doesnt matter since i dont have that sensor
Old 01-16-2007, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by OC guy
and another question is: if its ok to not use the braket to support the intake. because the braket that we get with berk unit does not even fit right and also make the squeaky metal sound while driving. . so what you think that intake can hold itself on its own, or do i need to have the braket attached for support?
The bracket fit just fine with the slightest bit of pressure on my '03, but I guess I didn't tighten down hard enough and it has been hanging on it's own for a few months now. I check the rubber hose that you connected to the car (at the throttle body?) often to see if it has wiggled off any. It hasn't so far.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:50 AM
Chicken Feet Croo!

The bracket needs a little encouragement on my 2k Berk intake. It should fit fine though.

I still have my air scoup with that sensor attached to it. If it really does effect the idling at all, i will have a small project thsi weekend. I've always just assumed it was useless to move it cause i didn't have a place for it on the berk.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:35 AM

hey OC guy,
I've got the exact same problem, I've got an 2001 AE and I installed my berk about a week ago and it doesn't have a spot for the sensor either. Now my SES light is on. I went to autozone and they got a code P0420 which is (the catalyst system efficiency for bank 1 is below threshold for the current engine operating conditions.) So if I drill a hole into my intake tube from berk and install this sensor will my SES light go away???? I had posted about this in another thread earlier, I wanna know for sure that this SES will go away if i install it, before I take a drill to it, you know what i mean.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:38 AM
Cletus

the berk intake DOES NOT come with a hole for that sensor.

as i stated above...on my 00, i ziptied to the sensor to a cable in that area and NEVER got a light.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:54 AM
2002 maxima se

Originally Posted by asianstyle
hey OC guy,
I've got the exact same problem, I've got an 2001 AE and I installed my berk about a week ago and it doesn't have a spot for the sensor either. Now my SES light is on. I went to autozone and they got a code P0420 which is (the catalyst system efficiency for bank 1 is below threshold for the current engine operating conditions.) So if I drill a hole into my intake tube from berk and install this sensor will my SES light go away???? I had posted about this in another thread earlier, I wanna know for sure that this SES will go away if i install it, before I take a drill to it, you know what i mean.
as much as i understand. i believe if you leave that sensor pluged the ses light shouldnt come on. it doesnt matter where it stays in the engine bay as long as its plugged in to the connector. as someone said that we can remove that rubber plug off the air scoup and let it hang or zip tie some where near the intake. i dont think that having that sensor connected to intake would probably make any diffrence in performance. so i will just leave it plugged on that air scoup. and my ses light didnt come on because my sensor is plugged.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:55 AM
2002 maxima se

Originally Posted by soonerfan
the berk intake DOES NOT come with a hole for that sensor.

as i stated above...on my 00, i ziptied to the sensor to a cable in that area and NEVER got a light.
you are right the berk doesnt come with a hole where we can plug that sensor. i think i will go with ziptie idea. afterall that sensor doesnt affect anything at all.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:57 AM
2002 maxima se

Originally Posted by SuperStock03
The bracket fit just fine with the slightest bit of pressure on my '03, but I guess I didn't tighten down hard enough and it has been hanging on it's own for a few months now. I check the rubber hose that you connected to the car (at the throttle body?) often to see if it has wiggled off any. It hasn't so far.
currently i dont have the braket attached. and i dont see any wiggling or hanging issue either. but not sure in long run it may loose or wiggle.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:59 AM
2002 maxima se

Originally Posted by chopstix2nrz
Yeah just take out the whole IAT sensor, the rubber seal that it goes in (rubber part thats on the scoop) and make a hole big enough for the rubber seal.

Or if you dont wanna mess it up go to pep boys and get some of those chrome looking intake peices (they are actually plastic) and just drill a hole in that and stick it between your MAF and Air filter
the whole intake asembly itself is too long that there is no extra space to add any additional piece of tube. i think i will just leave that sensor on the scoop or i might take it off and ziptie it.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:03 PM

I put back my stock intake box to see if the SES light would go away but it didn't. So I'm gonna take it to the dealer on friday and have them replace whatever to fix this since I purchased the extended warranty when I bought my car. i didn't think my bracket was gonna fit either,but I finally found a spot where it fit perfectly, just look at my cardomain site and you'll see how I did mine.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:05 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

hey OC guy,
No, that is a separate issue. O2 sensor. Do a search.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:18 PM

I did search and some people was saying o2 sensor and some were saying I need a new catalyst, so I'm just gonna let the dealer deal with it since I still have an extended warranty.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:17 PM
2002 maxima se

i didn't think my bracket was gonna fit either,but I finally found a spot where it fit perfectly, just look at my cardomain site and you'll see how I did mine.
this is a picture from your car domain. where did you attach the other side of braket i cant realy see it clearly because the picture is not that large?
EDIT: amd how did you deal with the large vaccum hose clamp because mine is kind of loose do i have to buy a small clamp? because it doesnt hold the hose very tightly and it keep slipping off.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:24 PM
Cletus

when i get home, i'll post a pic of where my bracket is attached.
btw, most people remove that black bracket thats part of the stock air box. the berk bracket attaches to the bold from that.

as far as the large vacuum hose...i wrapped the end of the tube with electrical tape to make it thicker. the hose stays on better.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:56 PM
Cletus

here is the best way i found to connect the bracket

Old 01-16-2007, 06:40 PM
2002 maxima se

Originally Posted by soonerfan
here is the best way i found to connect the bracket

the braket that i got its little outshape and crooked. i think i gotta adjust it with pliar or something. and i bought a little clamp the one you can tight it with flat head screwdriver. now its all the way and quite tight.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:48 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

I haven't used any sort of bracket for over 3 years. No issues in that time.

I have the same exact setup in the pic that soonerfan posted.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:04 PM
retired moderator

this thread is teh dumbness.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:14 PM
2002 maxima se

I haven't used any sort of bracket for over 3 years. No issues in that time.

I have the same exact setup in the pic that soonerfan posted.
doesnt it wiggle or become loose while driving? and what filter you are using. because apexi is little heavy with adapter etc.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:17 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

I don't usually spend much time under the hood while driving.

But, it's never out of place when the hood is raised.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:23 PM
retired moderator

I used the bracket only to reduce vibrations to our "sensitive MAF"

I don't have that problem anymore with my PR intake though No bracket required.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:36 PM
2002 maxima se

Originally Posted by irish44j
I used the bracket only to reduce vibrations to our "sensitive MAF"

I don't have that problem anymore with my PR intake though No bracket required.
and do we have to keep the maf sensor in vertical position or it can be kept twisted like a triangle way? because once its twisted the braket may fit right.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:24 PM

hey oc guy,
Here's your picture and my picture, I kept the stock bracket that bolted to the stock air box.I just bolted the crooked end of the berk bracket, to the air filter bolt, the one in the yellow box and the straight edge into the stock bracket in red. hope that helps. As far as the vacuum hose goes, mine already came with a clamp so that worked for me.

Old 01-17-2007, 12:33 AM

Since you installed that intake, why not remove the air scoop after your drill and insert your air temperature sensor into the pipe.

Andrei

Quick Reply: what kind of role does this thing play under the hood? Help