5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

K&N Intake for 2k2 recommend???

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 12:27 AM

K&N Intake for 2k2 recommend???

Just wondering if anyone recommends this type of intake. Does it make a good difference? What are the advantages and disadvantages? Just looking for some advice.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:41 AM
Go BUCKS!!!

Are you asking about a K&N filter, because as far as I know, K&N does not make an intake for the Maxima?

Please consult the FAQ's for any information on intakes as well as the MANY 100's of threads on intakes listed in this section such as this recent one.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:50 AM

Oops, i mean air filter. I do believe they make those right? (Man, Shouldn't do this after a night out)
Old 02-07-2007, 12:52 AM
Go BUCKS!!!

Yeah, there is a K&N drop-in filter for our cars. K&N is a long proven product that many people use in their cars (myself included) and they work well as long as you keep up on the regular maintenance of properly oiling them when needed. You won't see any sort of huge gains in terms or MPG or HP #'s, but the convenience of just cleaning, re-oiling, and reinstalling is what draws many people to buy the K&N product.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:54 AM
I'm a Happy Man!

For just an air filter the K&N is recommended, but just like SEmy2K2go said "You won't see any sort of huge gains in terms or MPG or HP #'s" so if you a seeking performance i would recommend injen CAI. there is a couple of different intakes out there but i've had injen on my car for almost two years not and i luv the sound and the power. Try doing a search of sound clips that will help you out alot.

Originally Posted by Topher3284
Just wondering if anyone recommends this type of intake. Does it make a good difference? What are the advantages and disadvantages? Just looking for some advice.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:01 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Or you can make your own OSCAI - Cold air intake with the stock airbox.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/821083
Nice quiet intake noise with good response.
I've driven in deep water with no problems. The slit on the upper connector will open before the weight of the water climbs up the tube, in theory.
Good luck
Old 02-08-2007, 03:31 AM
Don't you know who I am?

Originally Posted by MaximaGT-R
For just an air filter the K&N is recommended, but just like SEmy2K2go said "You won't see any sort of huge gains in terms or MPG or HP #'s" so if you a seeking performance i would recommend injen CAI. there is a couple of different intakes out there but i've had injen on my car for almost two years not and i luv the sound and the power. Try doing a search of sound clips that will help you out alot.
Isn't Injen a WAI?

The drop in filter is nice for the convenience of it, although some will tell you it lets more dirt into the engine, etc. As far as INTAKES go, I don't think I really like em. I love my low-end torque, as I tend to shift around 2k rpm 90% of the time, an intake would have me feeling like I lost power rather than gained it for the most part. I know they are supposed to give awesome gains top end, but I'm rarely up there, I would suffer the low-end loss mostly.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by SEmy2K2go
Yeah, there is a K&N drop-in filter for our cars. K&N is a long proven product that many people use in their cars (myself included) and they work well as long as you keep up on the regular maintenance of properly oiling them when needed. You won't see any sort of huge gains in terms or MPG or HP #'s, but the convenience of just cleaning, re-oiling, and reinstalling is what draws many people to buy the K&N product.
I use them in all my vehicles. My personal recommendation is to buy 2, that way you can take the dirty one out and put a clean one in and not have your can out of commision while cleaning the filter. Then you can take your time cleaning and re-oiling the dirty one. It is really important to make sure that the filter is dry prior to oiling. And it is also really important to not over-oil the filter media, which is very easy to do. In fact, I always allow my re-oiled filter to "drain" at least overnight (several days seems to be better) to avoid over-oiling, hence my recommendation for buying 2.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:40 AM

G.A.B. and a k&n drop in...still have low end (at least i do) with the gab...and you get a nice bump up top...still using paper here till spring and hte dusty roads get cleaned
Old 02-08-2007, 12:06 PM

Thanks for all the good feedback. I will definitely look more into it and possibly get 2 ( Good idea JohnWEngle) I have little time on my hands as it is with having school and work.

Some of you recommended CAI, but isn't WAI supposed to be better? Check this out, under: what intake should I get... But I would like to hear personal opinions.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....45#post1832245
Old 02-08-2007, 01:05 PM

This website helped me out a lot. In the end I just stayed with the stock paper filter mainly because I was not going to upgrade the intake.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm
Old 02-08-2007, 08:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by maxfive-O
Or you can make your own OSCAI - Cold air intake with the stock airbox.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/821083
Nice quiet intake noise with good response.
I've driven in deep water with no problems. The slit on the upper connector will open before the weight of the water climbs up the tube, in theory.
Good luck
Woah, where is your filter?! For your engine's sake, I hope you're not running your car with nothing but a course green strainer for an air filter...
Old 02-08-2007, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by housecor
Woah, where is your filter?! For your engine's sake, I hope you're not running your car with nothing but a course green strainer for an air filter...
He is still using his stock airbox, where the filter is.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:30 PM

i still have my stock air box, i just bought a K&N air filter. id recommend it, a little extra power.i guess my car was being robbed of horsepower because now. it seems like it wants too go when i not even trying to push all that hard..
Old 02-20-2007, 07:53 PM

I was reading around the forum...
Injen "CAI" aka "WAI" since the sir filter is so small that replacing that one with a K&N universal air filter (those big truck intake looking ones) will drop a few more hp. havet tried it but in the process of doing so... just gotta order the parts and test them seperately... if anyone has done this and has the dyno sheets... please post them up.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:00 PM
dot dot dot ...

just gotta order the parts and test them seperately
What parts are you going to test?
Old 02-20-2007, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
What parts are you going to test?
Injen CAI.
and a Universal K&N air filter (K&N RU-2820)
Old 02-20-2007, 08:37 PM
dot dot dot ...

The placement of the filter has more to do with performance than the size of the filter.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:59 PM

The placement of the filter has more to do with performance than the size of the filter.
well yes that is true... but the injen does pick up the most hp nd trq i know of...
it's not place behind a radiator or right next to the engine... as i heard... it pick up some good air. but the Air filter on the injen intake its self is so small....
Theres this closed thread... if you search around you will find it... topic is.. Injen vs others need opinion or soemthing down the lines of it. i read the whole thing so ima compare the 2 when i do get em in march.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:23 PM
dot dot dot ...

If you can show me a dyno where an injen put down more than my POP charger, I'd feel free to admit I'm wrong. Until then
Old 02-20-2007, 10:26 PM
Cletus

If you can show me a dyno where an injen put down more than my POP charger, I'd feel free to admit I'm wrong. Until then
i want in on this too...Injen vs my Berk

people that buy the injen marketing hype instead of listening to experienced people on the org

i love the people that buy them...than try to argue their worth (with no proof)
Old 02-20-2007, 10:44 PM

Thats why people come back to this website, smart and experienced people

I learned alot through this forum thanks to you guys!
especialy advanced motor chat, interesting stuff
Old 02-21-2007, 05:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by soonerfan
i want in on this too...Injen vs my Berk

people that buy the injen marketing hype instead of listening to experienced people on the org

i love the people that buy them...than try to argue their worth (with no proof)

so your saying a Berk Intake is better, and offers better performance than an Injen Intake?
Old 02-21-2007, 06:04 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Trurida18
so your saying a Berk Intake is better, and offers better performance than an Injen Intake?
In plain English, yes.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:06 AM
Banned

In plain English, yes.

i guess ill be reaserching them now
Old 02-21-2007, 06:09 AM
Cletus

the berk is better all around...better performance and value
Old 02-21-2007, 06:17 AM
Banned

the berk is better all around...better performance and value

gotcha.....so basically the fact that a Berk Intake is shortRAM means nothing, seeing as how they all suck in WARM air for the most part?

also what intake do u have under your hood?
Old 02-21-2007, 06:30 AM
dot dot dot ...

also what intake do u have under your hood?
> you
....my Berk
Let's not dwell into intakes again
Old 02-21-2007, 07:47 AM
heresmymind

place intake under headlight bracket outside of engine compartment for true cold air intake... (this is a 3rd generation VG custom cai I made)

Old 02-21-2007, 08:18 AM

ill get my boys dyno ... he has an injen and it added 15 hp or 20hp 2 the wheels... adding a larger filter to allow more airflow makes sense dont it. intakes have to be properly installed for maximum performance. I live in New York, so a cold air intake for me makes sense rather then short ram picking up warm air. (cold air is like crack... makes the car bug out) haha
Old 02-21-2007, 09:44 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by babyboyws6
ill get my boys dyno ... he has an injen and it added 15 hp or 20hp 2 the wheels... adding a larger filter to allow more airflow makes sense dont it. intakes have to be properly installed for maximum performance. I live in New York, so a cold air intake for me makes sense rather then short ram picking up warm air. (cold air is like crack... makes the car bug out) haha
If we’re going to talk intake stuff…again then…..

We’ll use real data. I want to do more comparisons using various set-ups.

This morning (temp in the mid – upper 20’s F) my IAT’s never went above 60*F (stock set-up of course )
And my MAF maxed out @ 168 gm/s @ 7070 RPM

Although MAF placement on these vehicles is not a very accurate way to tell if there is an increase in power.

This can be seen when comparing AFR data. Place the MAF in a very high flow area and see the increase in voltage &/or gm/s. But the AFR tells that the reading is wacky, (aka dumping way too much fuel in).

But I still think it does compare when there is more flow detected. I saw a small percentage drop when going back to my stock airbox (w/ FC straight pipe) And saw the same drop when trying a larger MAF housing. But that is not related to what I was referring to about flow.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:05 AM

If we’re going to talk intake stuff…again then…..

We’ll use real data. I want to do more comparisons using various set-ups.

This morning (temp in the mid – upper 20’s F) my IAT’s never went above 60*F (stock set-up of course )
And my MAF maxed out @ 168 gm/s @ 7070 RPM

Although MAF placement on these vehicles is not a very accurate way to tell if there is an increase in power.

This can be seen when comparing AFR data. Place the MAF in a very high flow area and see the increase in voltage &/or gm/s. But the AFR tells that the reading is wacky, (aka dumping way too much fuel in).

But I still think it does compare when there is more flow detected. I saw a small percentage drop when going back to my stock airbox (w/ FC straight pipe) And saw the same drop when trying a larger MAF housing. But that is not related to what I was referring to about flow.
well said... does anyone else have a different set up that works well for them
Old 02-21-2007, 03:07 PM
Cletus

he has an injen and it added 15 hp or 20hp 2 the wheels...
Old 02-21-2007, 04:16 PM

hey bro, i will get the dyno and show you sooner or later... possibilities are endless
Old 02-21-2007, 04:37 PM
Cletus

hey bro, i will get the dyno and show you sooner or later... possibilities are endless
you couldnt even give me an exact number...you said "15 to 20" cause you pulled it out of your @ss and/or took injen's word for it.

another person that doesnt want to listen to experienced people on here.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:46 PM

you couldnt even give me an exact number...you said "15 to 20" cause you pulled it out of your @ss and/or took injen's word for it.

another person that doesnt want to listen to experienced people on here.
first of all dont be gettin at me like that cuz i aint listenin to you. I dont know you and dont care who you are... all u are here to do is give advice... take it or leave it. dont tell me im pullin sumthin outta my A$$ famz, i aint disrespect you so dont do it to me. People got different opinions on different things dont become a little girl becuz im not taking yours. Free country right?
that why people have different things buddy. oh yeah like i said my friend has an injen intake system and got a dyno test done... i said before i would try and get my hands on it to show ya.. did you miss that part?? not once did i say.. well injen says this and that.... not once so where you comming from with this..??
yeah i aint give u an exact numba cuz i aint sure bout hisz gains havent had the chance to meet up with em yet and take a look at the sheet.
dont label me as another person that doesnt wanna listen to experienced people... i'll take peoples advice, but certainly not from an A$$hole like you yo
Old 02-21-2007, 07:52 PM
is invisible

This should be good...
btw...
Old 02-21-2007, 07:56 PM

Here it comes... might as well start play
Old 02-21-2007, 07:57 PM

Oops I can't speak english either
Old 02-21-2007, 09:57 PM
Cletus

first of all dont be gettin at me like that cuz i aint listenin to you. I dont know you and dont care who you are... all u are here to do is give advice... take it or leave it. dont tell me im pullin sumthin outta my A$$ famz, i aint disrespect you so dont do it to me. People got different opinions on different things dont become a little girl becuz im not taking yours. Free country right?
that why people have different things buddy. oh yeah like i said my friend has an injen intake system and got a dyno test done... i said before i would try and get my hands on it to show ya.. did you miss that part?? not once did i say.. well injen says this and that.... not once so where you comming from with this..??
yeah i aint give u an exact numba cuz i aint sure bout hisz gains havent had the chance to meet up with em yet and take a look at the sheet.
dont label me as another person that doesnt wanna listen to experienced people... i'll take peoples advice, but certainly not from an A$$hole like you yo
1. please put this in english that an adult can understand
2. repost.
thanks

FYI, the performance increase of an intake isnt an opinion...its a fact.

Quick Reply: K&N Intake for 2k2 recommend???