5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Removing headliner from 2k2 to expose sunroof mechanism???

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 05:16 PM

Removing headliner from 2k2 to expose sunroof mechanism???

Long story short, I purchased a used 2k2 and low and behold once I took ownership the sunroof started acting up. The sunroof glass is crooked and does not close flush with the roof of the car and framing. I first noticed a problem when the sunroof would be in the closed position and the passenger side of the glass would pop up leaving a 1/4 inch gap exposed to the inside of the car. I fiddled around with the controls a little to see if it would just realign itself but turns out its now stuck in the position when the glass goes down to slide back. The glass wants to come up, but the driver's side of the glass seems like its caught on the frameing of the sunroof cut out and can't come up. All in all the glass doesn't look like its straight and lined up with the sunroof opening in the roof and the sunroof keeps opening itself and tries to close itself again.

The car has nissan's security plus extended warrenty, however it does not cover the sunroof because the sunroof was installed after market even though it was delivered from a nissan dealership with the sunroof done through the dealership's own outsourcing. Whats even more frustrating is the manufacture of the sunroof won't honor the warrenty either because I am not the original owner.

Since I've bought the car I have been unable to drive it because the weather here in NYC has sucked and been wet and i'm paranoid of keeping it on the street with an open sunroof. Its been parked in my aunt's garage for over a week. Real bummer!

I've contacted a couple vendors to see if anybody can take a look at it but the estimates they are giving me seem outrageous. I'd like to take a look at it myself if I can and hopefully its something that i might be able to remedy myself. If anybody could tell me how to carefully remove the headliner I'd appreciate it. Also if any of you had similar experiences with your sunroof how did you go about fixing it? Thanks!
Old 02-27-2007, 10:08 PM
$$ Ballin on a Budget $$

In order to remove the headliner.

Remove the visors and the clip your visor clips into. That clip is closest to the sunglass holder, overhead light.

Remove the sunglass holder. Flip the sunglass holder down and you'll see the two screws that need to be removed. You'll pop that out from the middle. Just pull down.

Remove the "oh **** handles." Those are the handles on the headliner. They all have two phillips head screws in each side. Just pop the tab down to expose them.

Remove your center cabin light. Take off the lens and you'll see the two screws that need to come out in order to take it off.

Remove your pillars as well. The front two and the back two. The ones on the sides can stay in place but you'll have to just pull the headliner out to clear it.

After taking all of these things off your headliner is held in place by clips. Go to the back seat and pull down in the back middle of the headliner. You don't need to use a lot of force but give it a tug. It'll pop out.

You can pull down on the headliner around the sunroof area too it's just kind of meshed in place.

Good luck...

Also you could check your shims to see if your sunroof is sitting properly.

http://www.innerbean.com/housecor/su...noise_fix.html
Old 02-28-2007, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Orgullo
In order to remove the headliner.

Remove the visors and the clip your visor clips into. That clip is closest to the sunglass holder, overhead light.

Remove the sunglass holder. Flip the sunglass holder down and you'll see the two screws that need to be removed. You'll pop that out from the middle. Just pull down.

Remove the "oh **** handles." Those are the handles on the headliner. They all have two phillips head screws in each side. Just pop the tab down to expose them.

Remove your center cabin light. Take off the lens and you'll see the two screws that need to come out in order to take it off.

Remove your pillars as well. The front two and the back two. The ones on the sides can stay in place but you'll have to just pull the headliner out to clear it.

After taking all of these things off your headliner is held in place by clips. Go to the back seat and pull down in the back middle of the headliner. You don't need to use a lot of force but give it a tug. It'll pop out.

You can pull down on the headliner around the sunroof area too it's just kind of meshed in place.

Good luck...

Also you could check your shims to see if your sunroof is sitting properly.

http://www.innerbean.com/housecor/su...noise_fix.html
Thanks Orgullo, i'll give it a shot this week. Thanks for the link, i've searched before and I saw that site however, the aftermarket sunroof in my car looks different than that stock set up so not sure if that'll help, but thanks anyway.