5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

VLSD questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 07:55 AM

VLSD questions

I read on various internet sites that the viscous limited slip differential will wear out over approximately 60 000 miles due to the break down of the fluid that is sealed within the VLSD unit. I also read that the VLSD will then act as an open differential unit causing no harm to the transmission when worn.

A couple of months back I suspected my Maxima was not noticably transferring power to the opposite wheel as any LSD should (no traction control) . I called my local Nissan dealership to ask them about this VLSD issue and the service advisor informed me that the whole transmission would have to be replaced if the VLSD was not working. That was fine with me as I still have a full extended warranty on the car.

While the car was hoisted the technician simply rotated one front wheel and informed me that since the other wheel turned in the same direction the VLSD was working perfectly fine. I went on to inform him that the properties of the fluid were no longer allowing proper power transfer and I was experiencing excessive wheel spin not common to vehicles equiped with VLSD. This was all to no avail.

I think he would have changed the tranny for me if I was a little less aggressive with the service advisor who told me that there would be a fee for diagnostics if there was no issue with the tranny. I asked for his supervisor as it seemed they entrapped me into a diagnostics fee as they had told me to come in to have a look at it. In any case, they waved the diagnostics fee but mannnnn I was this close to getting a new tranny

Anyways, I've a few BMW Ms and when they say LSD equipped they aren't kidden around. You feel the power transfer. Anybody with a new VLSD who can tell me in there own words how the VLSD feels.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:14 AM
It's business time.

I have a VLSD and I've had my tranny rebuilt once. I'm not sure if I can describe how it feels but I guess I can feel one wheel catch.

Also, I've never heard about LSD wearing down and then having the properties of an open diff.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:11 PM
♠♠♠♠♠

Most likely depends on usage, but yes, the VLSD are rumoured to 'expire' after 60k miles. I suspect you do not hear about it very much because when it fails, you really won't notice unless you're looking for it.

No need to replace tranny, you can buy the core of the VLSD and just replace that. I was quoted around 600$ (i believe) to fix it.. includes the core and labour. My guy at the dealership hasn't heard of anyone coming in to have the LSD fixed.