5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

ATTENTION!! 2001 Gas Filler Tube Problem!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2001, 08:14 AM

Hello,

As a new member - "Great Site"! I'm looking forward to having many discussions about the Maxima.

I wanted to point out to "all" 01 Maxima owners that there is a problem with dirt getting into the GAS filling area inside the door.

Why this happens is because on the 01 Maximas there is no gas filler tube protector plate under the wheel well where you fill up with gas. Dirt, sand, water, road junk, salt, etc. gets kicked up from the tire and comes in through the gas overflow hole in the gas filling area. If this "stuff" gets in your gas tank, I don't need to explain....
Anyway, I went to the dealership to point this out during an oil change and they said they didn't have a TSB on it yet. I also checked about 20 01's on the lot and they all were missing the plates. The dealership had a couple 00 so I thought I'd take a look and they did have the proper protector plate.

Nissan must have forgotten to check this out in there Quality Control Process.

I called Nissan and they logged in my complaint but they said they haven't heard of this problem before, although I was on the Edmunds web forum and there has been discussions about this problem (maybe here as well). Nissan said that maybe if enough people call in about the prolblem they will issue a TSB.

If you find that you have a dirty gas filling area behind the door, "please" call Nissan and log a complaint so this problem can get resolved. It only takes a few minutes and you'll be glad you did.

Thanks,

Ollie
Old 07-09-2001, 10:10 AM
RussMaxManiac

Welcome board, please read TSBs at the top and FAQ before posting. This is old news.

Originally posted by Ollie
Hello,

As a new member - "Great Site"! I'm looking forward to having many discussions about the Maxima.

I wanted to point out to "all" 01 Maxima owners that there is a problem with dirt getting into the GAS filling area inside the door.

Why this happens is because on the 01 Maximas there is no gas filler tube protector plate under the wheel well where you fill up with gas. Dirt, sand, water, road junk, salt, etc. gets kicked up from the tire and comes in through the gas overflow hole in the gas filling area. If this "stuff" gets in your gas tank, I don't need to explain....
Anyway, I went to the dealership to point this out during an oil change and they said they didn't have a TSB on it yet. I also checked about 20 01's on the lot and they all were missing the plates. The dealership had a couple 00 so I thought I'd take a look and they did have the proper protector plate.

Nissan must have forgotten to check this out in there Quality Control Process.

I called Nissan and they logged in my complaint but they said they haven't heard of this problem before, although I was on the Edmunds web forum and there has been discussions about this problem (maybe here as well). Nissan said that maybe if enough people call in about the prolblem they will issue a TSB.

If you find that you have a dirty gas filling area behind the door, "please" call Nissan and log a complaint so this problem can get resolved. It only takes a few minutes and you'll be glad you did.

Thanks,

Ollie

Old 07-09-2001, 11:24 AM
Sherwood

Insist on getting it covered under warranty

The cover goes inside the rear wheel well. 2000 models have it and for some reason they didn't put it on the 2001?

Go to the parts counter and ask them to go to the floor pan page. Nissan lists it as part of this subassembly for an unknown reason. Don't wait for nissan to admit they missed it or even purposely left it out. You will get all sorts of stuff coming up through the drain hole in your filler door and the winter will not be kind. I had it installed after I told the dealer I would not leave without it. Magically one appeared on my car 10 minutes later.

Old 07-09-2001, 06:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by RussMaxManiac
Welcome board, please read TSBs at the top and FAQ before posting. This is old news.

I second that.....lock it.
Old 07-09-2001, 06:19 PM

The cover plastic thing cost 15 bucks so if Nissan gives you crap about it you can still pay for it yourself...