5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Fuel Filler Door

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 07:19 AM

Fuel Filler Door

Over the past several weeks, the fuel filler door has progressively opened less and less each time I've fueled the car. Now it's to the point where it only pops open about the thickness of the door, which makes it difficult to get a finger in behind it in order to open it. Additionally, the door has become extremely difficult to swing open - very stiff, like it's bound up. I've tried lubricating the door hinge, but to no effect. I don't see anything that would indicate that the door is rubbing/binding on the fender opening.

Any ideas on how to relieve the binding and/or how to get it to pop open more? I presume that if I relieve the binding, that the door will popup open more like it should. Or is it a trip to the dealer?
Old 03-21-2007, 07:40 AM

I have the same thing going on with my fuel door! I either have to stick a thin key between the door to pop it out all the way! Warped hinges may have cause this, I tried the lubrication thing a few times too but not much success! I have just been dealing with it, it is very annoying at times but I am getting used to it! Nissan makes nice VQ motors but crappy fuel doors!
Old 03-21-2007, 05:09 PM

I have this but here is a suggestion ( but mine is caused by a new door and stupid bodyshop guy painting the hinges). When you pop the cover and its only sticking out a little bit just PUSH on the door right at the hinges and it will pop the door out far enough for you to get your fingers in there. A guy at a full serve taught me that when I was there one day and got out to open the door for him. I know its annoying but if you dont mind doing this is is EASY!!
Old 03-21-2007, 05:24 PM

Are you guys using the spray lube? Mine was stiff and I used spray lube, the lithium kind and ever since, 3 yrs later, it still flies open when it pop it. Yea, if the hinges are warped or has paint seizing them, then it wouldn't work too well, how did the hinges get warped if they are? Did it get hit?
Old 03-22-2007, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by maximamass
I have this but here is a suggestion ( but mine is caused by a new door and stupid bodyshop guy painting the hinges). When you pop the cover and its only sticking out a little bit just PUSH on the door right at the hinges and it will pop the door out far enough for you to get your fingers in there. A guy at a full serve taught me that when I was there one day and got out to open the door for him. I know its annoying but if you dont mind doing this is is EASY!!
That would work, except that the hinge is so bound up, that pushing on the
other side has no effect.

The point is that is used to pop out quite a bit, and over time it has progessively popped out less and less.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by young1976
Are you guys using the spray lube? Mine was stiff and I used spray lube, the lithium kind and ever since, 3 yrs later, it still flies open when it pop it. Yea, if the hinges are warped or has paint seizing them, then it wouldn't work too well, how did the hinges get warped if they are? Did it get hit?
I've tried WD-40, light weight machine oil (3-in-1 oil), teflon lubricant and white lithium grease - all to no avail. I haven't tried a heavy grease (like wheel bearing grease). I guess I'll give that a try.

The hinges aren't painted over and to my knowledge the door hasn't been hit/bent. (I do have kids, so who knows for certain....)