5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

02-03 Maxima 6spd. or Automatic?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 12:17 PM

I've had an auto for about a year and so wish I could've waited for a 6-speed, but my other car didn't give me time. I think what bugs me the most is having to wait for the car to shift into second after a quick burst of gas in first. For example if your pulling out into traffic but only need a second or two of 3/4 power, you have to wait 2 seconds once you let off the gas for it to shift......drives me crazy!!!!!
Old 04-10-2007, 03:02 PM

Describe "Fully Loaded", because a true fully loaded SE would be well worth 14.6 grand.

True Fully Loaded:
Leather, HLSD, navigation, Premium Sound system, one touch sunroof, power memory seats, heated steering wheel, auto climate control, etc.
You make me feel special! My SE has everything but the HLSD and the Nav system, I even have that goofy homelink thing.

One strike against the 6speed is if you EVER plan on trading it in is as far as a dealer is concerned a manual transmission sedan is WORTHLESS
Old 04-10-2007, 03:54 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by krochus
You make me feel special! My SE has everything but the HLSD and the Nav system, I even have that goofy homelink thing.

One strike against the 6speed is if you EVER plan on trading it in is as far as a dealer is concerned a manual transmission sedan is WORTHLESS
all have homelink
and mine is loaded minus navi (because i didnt want it)

if you have a 6-speed, dont sell it to a dealership. i checked the price of mine, and i lose $800 because of it. sell it to an individual who can appreciate it.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:06 PM

if you have a 6-speed, dont sell it to a dealership. i checked the price of mine, and i lose $800 because of it. sell it to an individual who can appreciate it.
That's what you'd have to do, In the old days (pre internet) it could be pretty hard to find a buyer who would appreciate a stick. Nowdays it would be pretty easy to market a used car to the right people via the internet.

I wonder? What the AUTO to STICK production ratio was for vq35 powered 5 gens. Just how much harder is it to find a 6 speed.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:15 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by krochus
That's what you'd have to do, In the old days (pre internet) it could be pretty hard to find a buyer who would appreciate a stick. Nowdays it would be pretty easy to market a used car to the right people via the internet.

I wonder? What the AUTO to STICK production ratio was for vq35 powered 5 gens. Just how much harder is it to find a 6 speed.
rumor is that in any given year, only 5% of maximas were manual tranny.
i bet at least 80% of those belong to members on here
Old 04-10-2007, 04:33 PM

LOL I've noticed that as well, it just goes to show where the true automotive enthusiasts hang out.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Rydicule
Describe "Fully Loaded", because a true fully loaded SE would be well worth 14.6 grand.

True Fully Loaded:
Leather, HLSD, navigation, Premium Sound system, one touch sunroof, power memory seats, heated steering wheel, auto climate control, etc.

These are EXTREMELY rare... if you can find one, I'd jump on it for that price. If you find one with everything but Nav, then you have some negotiating room, though 14k is fair depending on the condition of the car.
good call on the price Rydicule, I just bought mine and it has everything but Nav. I looked for almost 2 yrs; finally found a black on black in Maryland w 47k miles but it was sold when I called, went to option two in DC, that being Sterling Mist w 39k miles. I paid $16k for it and love every minute I've owned it. Check the internet and you'll find some gems especially in the north east part of the U.S. The good dealerships put a butt load of pictures out there showing the car from all angles. But if you found one in your area I'd definitely go for it.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by soonerfan
rumor is that in any given year, only 5% of maximas were manual tranny.
I bet your right, if not more than 80%. Im just taking a shot in the dark but could it be because enthusiasts love stick and this site is mostly comprised of enthusiasts?
Old 04-10-2007, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by SLVRMAXX
I bet your right, if not more than 80%. Im just taking a shot in the dark but could it be because enthusiasts love stick and this site is mostly comprised of enthusiasts?
I totally agree. I find myself looking in the inside of any 5.5 gen I see parked and have yet to run across a 6 speed. I love mine and I also believe that somewhere in the ball park of 6%-8% of 02-03 where manuals
Old 04-10-2007, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by boondoxmax
I totally agree. I find myself looking in the inside of any 5.5 gen I see parked and have yet to run across a 6 speed. I love mine and I also believe that somewhere in the ball park of 6%-8% of 02-03 where manuals
I can say the exact same things..the max is quite common but the 6spd is very rare.

-I've got fully loaded with the exception of nav..i don't even think it was available in Canada..i'll probably get an aftermarket one soon
Old 04-11-2007, 07:03 AM

I just bought a 6 speed. 2002 Texas car 52k miles. SE with all the options, bose 6 disk, leather heated seats, heated steering wheel, power everything, sunroof etc. Bluebook for excellent condition is just shy of 14k, "good" condition is 12,900. Went looking for probably 3 or 4 months and found this one on ebay. The buy it now was 12,400 to start with. I waited till one hour before the end of the auction and he lowered the buyout to 11,400. Then with 10 minutes to go he lowered it to 11,000. Picked it up right there.

I did see that with the 6 speed cars you have to be a little more careful with what you're getting. Some of them looked like they'd been owned by spoiled rich kids and just had the living crap driven out of them. I also found that the 6 spd cars tend to be a touch more pricey, so given that and how tough they are to find I think they're somewhat hard to get a good deal on-
Old 04-11-2007, 11:12 AM
Don't you know who I am?

Originally Posted by 03blackmaxse
I can say the exact same things..the max is quite common but the 6spd is very rare.

-I've got fully loaded with the exception of nav..i don't even think it was available in Canada..i'll probably get an aftermarket one soon
I have to say, aftermarket Navigation FTW. I bought an aftermarket Navigation system, so I now consider my car "fully loaded". For those of you in the market for aftermarket Navi...

I recommend the Garmin Nuvi 350. One time buy for $450 from Amazon, and this thing is precise. it's easy to use, and it's never let me down. I haven't found a road yet, even in the back hills... that this thing hasn't worked well on. Even works great on cloudy days and all that stuff. Absolutely awesome. Definitely worth my $$$.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:34 AM

14k6 Is allright I suppose if it is fully loaded (maybe except navi, and I find that aftermarket ones are better at the job).

Bought my 6sp back in november at a nissan dealer(with car history of maintenance at the dealer) with some warranty left and paid 16.9k$CDN+tax(about 14.5k$US) It has everything except navi (I'm also in canada so I suppose it was indeed not available at the time).

I lost a manual CRV (thieves took it) a year ago and replaced it with a subaru outback with auto transmission I had been pretty miserable driving it for nearly a year until my wife got back to work after taking care of my childs until they were old enough to go to the daycare(4 and 2). Now the wife has the subie and I made a point to buy only sticks from now on (for me, wife does not really drive sticks).

I have a big grin on my face since I bought the max(except for the 1st gear that is a bit too much sensitive to my likings(and my tires) most of the time). 6spd FTW....... :-)
Old 04-11-2007, 11:50 AM

DUDES I HAVE AN AUTO......AND ITS WAAAAAY BETTER THAN ANY MANUAL CAR!........................................SIKE!

seriously, the only reason why i have an auto is because i have a 97 eclipse all wheel drive turbo pushing close to 450hp....so i needed a daily driver...and got my 02 max!

BUT........i regret that cuz the 6 speed is SO much more reliable and nicer......just my 02.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:38 PM

hey guys, i checked out a 6spd max today. fully loaded w/o navi and HLSD. does the HLSD really make a big difference?
Old 04-15-2007, 12:48 PM
Don't you know who I am?

Originally Posted by 1NICEMAX
hey guys, i checked out a 6spd max today. fully loaded w/o navi and HLSD. does the HLSD really make a big difference?
Never driven one without it...

Although my brother drives an 01 with open diff, he got good tires for it and it seems to do just as well as mine... so...
Old 04-15-2007, 02:35 PM

all of my cars have been stick and unless i get a cripling injury to where i cant use the clutch and shifter i will always go stick i hope to swap out my 5spd for a 6spd in the future just my .02cents
Old 04-15-2007, 04:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

'01 5-speed vs. '02 6-speed linkage

Has anyone driven both the 5 speed and 6 speed? I remember reading that the 3.5 engine required a cable linkage vs. direct rods for the 5 speed with the 3.0 engine.

I have a Merlot 20th AE 5-speed I bought new, and that linkage has been great - never rubbery or notchy. The throws are a little long, but not so long that I ever spent any money on a short-shift kit. ...and I came out of a '95 Honda Prelude VTEC when I bought the Max.

BTW, my very clean Maxima will be going up on Cars.com soon (can't post it here yet due to the forum rules (back to newbie status despite my dozens of posts about 6 years ago).
Old 04-15-2007, 05:02 PM

i wouldnt get one without the HLSD. weird that it was loaded w/o navi and hlsd. thats how mine was when i got it new, every opt but navi..find a hlsd car..

Old 04-15-2007, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by HotshotVQ35
i wouldnt get one without the HLSD. weird that it was loaded w/o navi and hlsd. thats how mine was when i got it new, every opt but navi..find a hlsd car..
but does anyone have experience with and without?
Old 04-16-2007, 04:53 AM
Cletus

6-speeds are rare enough...one with HLSD is very rare.
good luck finding one
Old 04-16-2007, 05:47 AM

yeah, i'm about to make the final transaction tonight. 6spd loaded w/o HLSD. doesn't bother me. =)
Old 04-16-2007, 06:04 AM

yea i want stick vehicle to. but iam not sure if i want to get a older maxima to learn off of. is it hard to learn how to drive a manual car.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:13 AM
Cletus

i saw a very rare site yesterday.
saw a completely stock black 02/03 in a parking lot. as i always do, i walked by it and looked inside...it was a 6-speed!!!! first time i have seen that.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:15 AM

yeah, i'm about to make the final transaction tonight. 6spd loaded w/o HLSD. doesn't bother me. =)
mileage? 02/03?
Old 04-16-2007, 06:16 AM

saw a completely stock black 02/03 in a parking lot. as i always do, i walked by it and looked inside...it was a 6-speed!!!! first time i have seen that.
I have a tendency to do that also lol
Old 04-16-2007, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by SLVRMAXX
mileage? 02/03?

02 SE, with 40k miles. 6spd. fully loaded w/o navi and HLSD. hopefully the transaction will flow smoothly tonight.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:33 AM
Cletus

02 SE, with 40k miles. 6spd. fully loaded w/o navi and HLSD. hopefully the transaction will flow smoothly tonight.
nice low mileage!!
when i bought my 02 two years ago it had 36K and that was low at the time
Old 04-16-2007, 06:35 AM

6speed for sure !!!
Old 04-16-2007, 06:59 AM

i want a black on black 6 speed with leather interior. but those are hard to find.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:03 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by STILLENGLE
i want a black on black 6 speed with leather interior. but those are hard to find.
like the one i have

took me a month to find it
Old 04-16-2007, 07:05 AM

like the one i have

you think its a good car to lean stick on or should i get a 4th gen
Old 04-16-2007, 07:08 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by STILLENGLE
you think its a good car to lean stick on or should i get a 4th gen
it is the most difficult manual i have driven due to the stiff clutch and notchy shift linkage.
that being said, if you learn on a maxima 6-speed, you will be able to drive anything.
main think to learn - clutch engagement point
Old 04-16-2007, 07:11 AM

it is the most difficult manual i have driven due to the stiff clutch and notchy shift linkage.
that being said, if you learn on a maxima 6-speed, you will be able to drive anything.
main think to learn - clutch engagement point
yea maybe i could find one it may not be black on black but if i could find one at a decent price ill look into it and then if i cant figure something out ill go look at a 4th gen but wouldnt that look stupid having to of the same car in the driveway.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:12 AM
You embarrass me.

like the one i have

Took me like 4 months to find mine.

02 6-spd, at the time with 40k, leather and bose, no nav or HLSD (wish it had that but oh well), got mine for $16k.

Anyways, nice find and good luck with the 6-speed, I love mine, don't regret it for a second.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:21 AM
Sexier Than Simpson

Gotta go manual

The idea that some transmission will know what gear I want to be in at any point in time is ridiculous. My choice of gear is always better. Go with a 6speed.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Bufflomike
The idea that some transmission will know what gear I want to be in at any point in time is ridiculous. My choice of gear is always better. Go with a 6speed.
Except when you miss a gear.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:29 PM
is invisible

auto tranny is making me frustrated enough to consider a Civic Si.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:33 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Scooobay
Guess im the only one that loves my auto. im an enthusiast but in my opinion, unless im getting my car to race it, etc, the only reason i'd want a stick is over 80 mph. People talk as if auto is the devil. It shifts great, picks up great, unless your tryna go over 120 which you shouldnt anyways. I love my auto, and i came from driving a 5-speed 4th gen. I've driven a 6-speed 5th gen, my boy has one, and dont get me wrong, it's sexy, pulls like a bat outta hell, etc...But i still prefer my auto. sit back cruise, no shifting worries, in a traffic jam? no problem. it's all personal opinion.
Your right Scooobay. Sometimes when its 2am in the morning coming from a club the last thing you what to do is shift. What a chour... Maybe I need a daily driver car instead of always driving the 6sp.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:42 PM
And... I'm out

Everything except navi. but how do i know if it has HLSD? wats the H in HLSD BTW?
Take a corner when it is raining, give it gas from the start, you will feel it.. (since my car has no indication it has HLSD but it does). From driving a 6-speed and one with HLSD the HLSD you will notice around turns, from a stop... etc... or do as they listed.

Quick Reply: 02-03 Maxima 6spd. or Automatic?