5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Ticking 03 Max

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 09:19 AM

Ticking 03 Max

I've noticed a slight ticking coming from my V6 at all times. In the old days I'd say it was a lifter causing this, but in todays cars I'm not wanting to say so. Hard to believe because oil and filter has been religiously changed on time and by the dealer. Is there anything else under the hood in these cars that can make this sound? This is a low milege car with an extended warantee but I would hate to see anyone have to go in and do a major fix as it will never be the same again. Is there any manufacutre bulletins covering this problem?

Thanks
Roymg
Old 04-09-2007, 11:01 AM

ticking? possible aka- pinging?...--could be bad gas--could be low grade gas--could also be the timing chain--i know in the 3.0 a bad MAF could cause this-- assumeing u run high grade octane and ur oil level is good, maybe some colder running spark plugs would be the cheapest DIY troubleshoot if you cant locate what exactly is causing it..

reading material-- (i was going to say search but you have been a member since 03 and only have 32 posts so here.. lol)

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=467337

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=468237
Old 04-09-2007, 11:19 AM

Ticking, depending on how loud, could either be your injectors or the timing chain. Common sounds.

If there are no apparent issues or problems with your car at this time, just keep an eye, errrrr ear, on it. But I would not be too concerned.

If your still alarmed by the sound, take it to the dealer since it's still under warranty.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:30 AM

Valves opening and closing.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:38 AM

More than likely it's injector noise, however if you are real low on oil it could also come from that.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:53 AM

If it's a "slow" tick it may very well be excessive valve "lifter" clearance. Is the ticking coming from under the camshaft cover(s)? As you appear to have had the routine oil changes accomplished, it hopefully is not actual cam or cam follower (lifter) wear, but may be a cam follower sticking in its bore or a sticky valve. Is this car babied?
Old 04-09-2007, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by P. Samson
If it's a "slow" tick it may very well be excessive valve "lifter" clearance. Is the ticking coming from under the camshaft cover(s)? As you appear to have had the routine oil changes accomplished, it hopefully is not actual cam or cam follower (lifter) wear, but may be a cam follower sticking in its bore or a sticky valve. Is this car babied?

out of curiosity.. what would be the cure to that...or would replacing be the only way?
Old 04-09-2007, 05:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If it is more like a rattle, check you oil level. It is a common problem since the 3.5 tends to burn oil... The level drops low and your timing chain rattles since it is not getting enough oil.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:32 PM

Did the ticking just start one day, or did it get more pronounced with time and is it getting worse? It is adjustable but it's a royal PITA, and these cars rarely require adjustment. When you look in the oil filler where you can see a camshaft and a bearing cap, does it look relatively clean? Does this car get driven on the highway?
Old 04-10-2007, 01:48 AM

need more info, about where is the tick coming from and how loud? can you hear inside the cabin? before more info, id say injector noise
Old 04-10-2007, 05:31 AM

P.Sampson,

Is the valvetrain adjustable via shimming or adjustable rocker arms? I haven't had the valve covers off to even check myself.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:53 AM

We ain't got no stinkin' rocker arms! Our engines have direct acting cams operating the valves. The Gen. 5 uses classified (various thickness) shims between the follower (lifter) body and the cam, and the Gen. 5.5 uses classified cam followers. The shims are swapped easily, insitu, but the Gen. 5.5 lifter swapping involves removing the associated camshaft of course. It's a *****! If you have an increase in noise (ticking/tapping) which is not that bad and is in fact caused by excessive valve clearance, and you've got a well maintained engine, then it may be caused by a sticky valve or valve deposits. I would first try a few tankfulls with a good gas additive such as Techron and a few good "power" runs on the highway etc. and see if it improves. I think Roymg, the originator of this thread, is capable of, and in fact has determined that it is valve associated noise.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:45 AM

Quite frankly adjustable rocker arms would have made this process a heck of alot easier! Either way, thanks for the info.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by mist max2000
ticking? possible aka- pinging?...--could be bad gas--could be low grade gas--could also be the timing chain--i know in the 3.0 a bad MAF could cause this-- assumeing u run high grade octane and ur oil level is good, maybe some colder running spark plugs would be the cheapest DIY troubleshoot if you cant locate what exactly is causing it..

reading material-- (i was going to say search but you have been a member since 03 and only have 32 posts so here.. lol)

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=467337

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=468237
K..thanks...post u gave me speaks of rattles. This is no rattle. This is wife's car but I take care of it. We only use mid grade gas even at $3.00 a gal.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by nismopc
Ticking, depending on how loud, could either be your injectors or the timing chain. Common sounds.

If there are no apparent issues or problems with your car at this time, just keep an eye, errrrr ear, on it. But I would not be too concerned.

If your still alarmed by the sound, take it to the dealer since it's still under warranty.
Thanks for the reply. It's not very loud and u can not hear it inside of car. Yeah I'm hoping it's the chain.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Tommy Boy
More than likely it's injector noise, however if you are real low on oil it could also come from that.

Thanks, no, oil level stays fine and is changed like clockwork.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:49 PM

Thanks, yeah car is babied. It belongs to the Wife. I have to stay with the 1994 Max. I hardly get to drive the 03 Max. Going on vacation in a couple months in this car and maybe I'll open her up some.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by upstatemax
If it is more like a rattle, check you oil level. It is a common problem since the 3.5 tends to burn oil... The level drops low and your timing chain rattles since it is not getting enough oil.

Thanks..is no rattle and motor burns no oil.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:56 PM

Did the ticking just start one day, or did it get more pronounced with time and is it getting worse? It is adjustable but it's a royal PITA, and these cars rarely require adjustment. When you look in the oil filler where you can see a camshaft and a bearing cap, does it look relatively clean? Does this car get driven on the highway?

Thanks, yeah heard it start up one day and it caught my attention. Ii's not very loud though and it's not getting worse. This is not a hwy car and oil changes are by the dealer so I've never look at the oil condition ..but I'm sure this is a clean engine.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Theyears02
need more info, about where is the tick coming from and how loud? can you hear inside the cabin? before more info, id say injector noise

Thanks, yeah injector or chain. Hard to tell sound origination except it comes from under the hood. My 94 Max has a belt and is quiet as a sewing machine.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:02 PM

We ain't got no stinkin' rocker arms! Our engines have direct acting cams operating the valves. The Gen. 5 uses classified (various thickness) shims between the follower (lifter) body and the cam, and the Gen. 5.5 uses classified cam followers. The shims are swapped easily, insitu, but the Gen. 5.5 lifter swapping involves removing the associated camshaft of course. It's a *****! If you have an increase in noise (ticking/tapping) which is not that bad and is in fact caused by excessive valve clearance, and you've got a well maintained engine, then it may be caused by a sticky valve or valve deposits. I would first try a few tankfulls with a good gas additive such as Techron and a few good "power" runs on the highway etc. and see if it improves. I think Roymg, the originator of this thread, is capable of, and in fact has determined that it is valve associated noise.
Thanks...yeah I plan to open it up soon and try to clear its throat.