5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

What needs to be done to get a turbo in the 5th Gen?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2001, 04:59 PM
I'm needing a caw

Mikey does his own **** talking. Never on my request. LOL.

Hey Mikey, I'll propably use the Endyn ones! Whoa! Maybe I'll have Atomic go ask them for some. Whoa! {private joke for Mike and I LOL}

Originally posted by Justin Tulli
Oh dude whatever,
what are you going to use dome pistons? Tell me is that what you would use?

Jeff, have more of your friends come in here to say things. everyone that said stuff to you was on their own. I had nothing to do with it. And as far as im concerned we have differant oppions on this subject. So im cool if you are. We really are beating a dead horse. So lets just end it!
Old 07-13-2001, 05:00 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Mikey does his own **** talking. Never on my request. LOL.

Hey Mikey, I'll propably use the Endyn ones! Whoa! Maybe I'll have Atomic go ask them for some. Whoa! {private joke for Mike and I LOL}

I rest my case
Old 07-13-2001, 05:10 PM
I'm needing a caw

Ah what case is that? Mikey and I do our own dicussions. He does not need me or nor do I need him to prove my points. Our conversations up this point don't show that?

I rest my case
Old 07-13-2001, 05:14 PM

Ah what case is that? Mikey and I do our own dicussions. He does not need me or nor do I need him to prove my points. Our conversations up this point don't show that?

Ok , well I have to go to work so tell mikey I said goodbye, Bye
Old 07-13-2001, 05:17 PM

Originally posted by Maximamike
Hey Justin, I really like your way of lowering compression. Flat topped pistons and longer rods? Riiiight. Go back to dream land.
I have to agree with Jeff, and maximamikey. when I posted I was not saying it is impossible, but like I did say it is alot of money and time, and for the cost vs. benefit ratio, the SC is the best deal for 4th and 5th gen max's at this point. The turbo setup is possible and we have seen that with the JWT setup, but as Jeff states there is a reason why its not sold to all. Now if you are going to make it a show thing, and have the money to do so then I can understand that, or even for daily driving and to be able to say I have a rare turbo setup then that is cool, just be aware of what you are getting into.
Old 07-13-2001, 05:18 PM
I'm needing a caw

Okay, don't let that 6psi intercooler get you down!

Ok , well I have to go to work so tell mikey I said goodbye, Bye
Old 07-13-2001, 05:19 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by IceY2K1

Maybe running 10psi, but I haven't seen them numbers from a SC Max with 6psi.

The IMPORT TUNER I have on my "cube-wall" at work has a "Stillen Maxima" with claims 281.6hp to the wheels with 6-psi/Y-pipe/exhaust/factory tuned ECU/"other things", but the dyno-plot shows Steve Millen Sport Parts - R&D actually only go 275 not including the REV-LIMITER spike to 281.6hp.

Anyone seen dyno numbers on a SC with 10psi and the rest of the goodies(intake/exhaust/etc...)?
I watched the Stillen Max put down over 300+ at Maxima Day.
Old 07-14-2001, 12:27 AM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

mmm such heated debates. Not taking sides, juss want to post some facts.

my Max detonated at around 10psi of intercooled boost. I belive the general rule is that for every 2-3psi the timing should be retarded 1 degree.

The oiling system is stout enough for a turbo application. The fuel rail is ok but id be hesitant on high boost applications. #5 cylinder always leans out...incidentally, my #5 cylinder was the one that went byebye. A turbo for a 4th or 5th gen isnt a simple bolt on application, if you venture this route, you will start to encouter all those lil probs i ran into also. I dont recommend you going to stand alone system unless your going all out.
Old 07-14-2001, 04:51 PM

This is a good forum, I am really pleased with the turn-out
Old 07-14-2001, 04:56 PM

Okay, don't let that 6psi intercooler get you down!

Why would I Let it get me down?
Old 07-14-2001, 07:24 PM

Ouch, Jeff. I've read up on the Atomic/Endyn war but I don't really know all the facts. Oh well, Larry's still the man in my book. Anyways, back to you Justin. Using lower compression pistons with longer rods defeats the purpose. Bringing the piston down in the combustion chamber a little further with a dish, then raising it back up with longer rods is just retarded. Maybe if you just bought low compression pistons. Oh well, go back to **** talkin school cuz you have nothing. LOL
Old 07-14-2001, 07:55 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by yo_its_ok
B O O S T ~ ! ! ! ! !
Old 07-14-2001, 08:36 PM

Doesn't the VQ already come in a turbocharged application in Japan? True its being used on RWD cars such as the Cima (Q45) but it does work with turbos and was probably designed with turbos in mind.

Now I'm not sure how helpful this would be since our VQ is in a FWD platform so the engine is mounted 'left to right' instead of 'front to back' so the piping for the turbo would be a hassle in a FWD application?
Old 07-15-2001, 03:16 AM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

i belive someone tried to use the VQ30DET manifold to a US spec VQ30DE motor and it interfers with the firewall. IM not sure on that tho. So with all this talk, is anyone else planning to try and go turbo? juss wondering....
Old 07-16-2001, 08:51 AM
I'm needing a caw

Hey forget what I said. Have fun! : )

Why would I Let it get me down?
Old 07-16-2001, 10:08 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Personally, I prefer "played out" modifications. . . makes life a lot easier for me!!!

I rather enjoyed this whole thread - despite a bit of flaming back and forth, it really touched on many of the issues associated with putting a turbo on a max.
Old 07-16-2001, 11:17 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

[What if bill99gxe = Justin Tulli?]

Justin, how many engines have you built?

More than you.

You throw these terms like "you can get an engine built" and "you can boost to whatever to get xxx hp", like it's the same as installing a FTSB or something.

I'm sorry you are too stupid to know how to do something as simple as a turbo upgrade. I've done a million of them.....

If it's so easy then why hasn't there been more turbo maximas now?

Because it's a Maxima and Maximas suck.

And why doesn't JWT offer there's to the public now?

Because they, much like yourself, are stupid and just trying to keep Maximas down so they won't be respected on the import scene.

Because this work is extremely difficult, time consuming and costly.

That's just your opinion, which doesn't matter. MY opinion is what counts.

I could "build" an internet turbo engine to make 400-500hp easy.

Then why don't you? Afraid? And I find it interesting your ticky VE doesn't have a blower or boost........

I could name off all the parts I need and what electronics to make all run right.

Then why don't you? Because you "really" can't.

But the internet is not reality.

HOW DARE YOU! OF COURSE IT'S REALITY! EVERYTHING ON THE INTERNET IS BASED ON FACTUAL INFORMATION. QUIT BEING A INFORMATION SUPER HIGHWAY RACIST!

I have taken apart my engine and numerous Datsun engines.

Was this on the internet or in "your" reality?

I can tell you this, unless you are very familar w/ cr ratios, fuel volume/pressure, bearing clearances, head design, cam specs, ignition timing etc... you should not attempt such a task.

You just hate me because I know I can do it and you know you can't do it....

What does your pcv valve do when the system is pressurized?

What's a PCV valve? Is it expensive? What does it do? Will I get more power from one? How much is it? Where can I get one for cheap? How long will it last? I tried search but it's broken. The search here sucks anyway.

How do you deal w/ the idle quality when you are making boost at idle?

The idle will be a quality idle because I'M building it.

[QUOTE][B]What does the idle circuit act like when it receives a "boost" signal when there should be a vacuum signal?[QUOTE][B]

The ECU takes care of that, especially after striking it with a hammer a few times.

You mention stand alone ecu management. Do you know how to modify the front timing cover and front pulley to accept the hall effect crank angle timing sensors?

Of course......it should be in the FSM somewhere, I just gotta find that section.

Can you use the stock cam angle sensors? Can the cam angle sensor output be used when the ecu needs a crank angle signal?

I CAN do anything I WANT to. I'm sorry you can't.

And sure 11.5 compression would be nice. Too bad we probably don't have gas with a high enough octane rating to utilize it.

My Octane Boost from Wally-World will serve just fine.

How much power are you going to be making when knock sensor sees ping and pulls back the timing 3 degrees?

A lot more than your stupid ticky VE.

Does the lead in it ruin your cat?

Of course not. It says so right on the bottle. But if it does, yours truly will be going back to Wally-World and making their GREEDY A$$E$ pay for a complete engine re-build.

Your willing to buy that stuff for the entire time you have your high compression motor?

You're right. I should probably get a Sam's club membership so I can buy it in bulk.....

I'm not trying to discourage anyone but I get tired of these conversations where people imply I don't know what I'm talking about.
YOU'RE JUST A HATER! I'VE SEEN YOU POST BEFORE. NO ONE LIKES YOU. YOU JUST RAIN ON EVERYONE'S IDEAS. QUIT KEEPING ME DOWN!

And it is obvious that you don't know what you're talking about......

[/What if bill99gxe = Justin Tulli?]

Evil in its purest form......and in Kev's world as a special bonus! :vampire:
Old 07-16-2001, 11:37 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by bill99gxe

More than you.

[/B]

I'm sorry you are too stupid to know how to do something as simple as a turbo upgrade. I've done a million of them.....

[/B]

Because it's a Maxima and Maximas suck.

[/B]

Because they, much like yourself, are stupid and just trying to keep Maximas down so they won't be respected on the import scene.

[/B]

That's just your opinion, which doesn't matter. MY opinion is what counts.

[/B]

Then why don't you? Afraid? And I find it interesting your ticky VE doesn't have a blower or boost........

[/B]

Then why don't you? Because you "really" can't.

[/B]

HOW DARE YOU! OF COURSE IT'S REALITY! EVERYTHING ON THE INTERNET IS BASED ON FACTUAL INFORMATION. QUIT BEING A INFORMATION SUPER HIGHWAY RACIST!

[/B]

Was this on the internet or in "your" reality?

[/B]

You just hate me because I know I can do it and you know you can't do it....

[/B]

What's a PCV valve? Is it expensive? What does it do? Will I get more power from one? How much is it? Where can I get one for cheap? How long will it last? I tried search but it's broken. The search here sucks anyway.

[/B]

The idle will be a quality idle because I'M building it.

[/B]

Of course......it should be in the FSM somewhere, I just gotta find that section.

[/B]

I CAN do anything I WANT to. I'm sorry you can't.

[/B]

My Octane Boost from Wally-World will serve just fine.

[/B]

A lot more than your stupid ticky VE.

[/B]

Of course not. It says so right on the bottle. But if it does, yours truly will be going back to Wally-World and making their GREEDY A$$E$ pay for a complete engine re-build.

[/B]

You're right. I should probably get a Sam's club membership so I can buy it in bulk.....

YOU'RE JUST A HATER! I'VE SEEN YOU POST BEFORE. NO ONE LIKES YOU. YOU JUST RAIN ON EVERYONE'S IDEAS. QUIT KEEPING ME DOWN!

And it is obvious that you don't know what you're talking about......

[/What if bill99gxe = Justin Tulli?]

Evil in its purest form......and in Kev's world as a special bonus! :vampire: [/B]
<sarcasm>
GET OUT OF MY FORUM. NO ONE WANTS TO LISTEN TO YOUR GARBAGE IN HERE. LASTLY, DON'T MAKE ME MODERATE YOUR @$$!!!
</sarcasm>

Old 07-16-2001, 11:44 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Now THAT is a Flame!! Everyone take notes.
Old 07-16-2001, 11:52 AM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

<sarcasm>
GET OUT OF MY FORUM. NO ONE WANTS TO LISTEN TO YOUR GARBAGE IN HERE. LASTLY, DON'T MAKE ME MODERATE YOUR @$$!!!
</sarcasm>
[Nothing but love for Kev]
Oh yeah?

5th gens suck!

Why would you bother turboing something that already needs a new paint job and brakes when it's BRAND NEW?
[/Nothing but love for Kev]

Thanks for the kiss, though.....
Old 07-16-2001, 12:14 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

[Nothing but love for Kev]
Oh yeah?

5th gens suck!

Why would you bother turboing something that already needs a new paint job and brakes when it's BRAND NEW?
[/Nothing but love for Kev]

Thanks for the kiss, though.....:smile

<New Evil Bill in training>
I don't need your stinkin' love. Go and tick tick tick tick your way back into the 3rd gen forum
</New Evil Bill in training>

Liked my kiss? How about a slopply one?
Old 07-16-2001, 12:27 PM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

<New Evil Bill in training>
I don't need your stinkin' love. Go and tick tick tick tick your way back into the 3rd gen forum
</New Evil Bill in training>

Liked my kiss? How about a slopply one?
Tick? You must have me confused with someone who has the VE30DE *cough* Jeff *cough*.....

VG = tick-free......
Old 07-16-2001, 01:07 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Tick? You must have me confused with someone who has the VE30DE *cough* Jeff *cough*.....

VG = tick-free......
<Fill with 5th gen superiority>
3rd gens are crappy anyways, so what difference does that make?
</Fill with 5th gen superiority>