5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Maine

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2001, 07:16 PM

Hey guys, I recently realized that since my parents bought some land up in Maine (Wytopitlock, bout 30 min from Lincoln) well I know for a fact that insurance and registration in Maine has to be cheaper, any folks with 5th gen maximas who can tell me how much they pay if they pay property tax on there maximas and insurance rates. Wytopitlock is the boondox so that might fluctuate price but about thanks guys!
Old 07-11-2001, 07:25 PM

Hi,

I'm from the greater Portland area of Maine. I haven't had a ticket in about 5 years, am over 25, married, and have two cars on one policy. I pay between $600 to $700 per year for my 2000 auto GXE. That's with $100 and $250 deductibles. Hope this info helps.

Originally posted by AdamK
Hey guys, I recently realized that since my parents bought some land up in Maine (Wytopitlock, bout 30 min from Lincoln) well I know for a fact that insurance and registration in Maine has to be cheaper, any folks with 5th gen maximas who can tell me how much they pay if they pay property tax on there maximas and insurance rates. Wytopitlock is the boondox so that might fluctuate price but about thanks guys!
Old 07-11-2001, 07:26 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Insurance might be lower but don't be so sure the registration is. The mil rate in Maine is pretty high.

Damn! Wytopitlock is the woods! I live in Portland and I'm closer to you in CT than I am that place!!

Old 07-11-2001, 07:27 PM

Do you pay property tax on your maxima? Also, the good thing is I'm guessing if I get stopped in Conn where I am mostly, I don't get insurance points and its a biggy for me since I'm 16 and point will make your insurace skyrocket
Old 07-11-2001, 07:28 PM

forgot

Oh yeah I forgot to tell ya, I pay ummm $700 a year for comp/collision/liability on the 2000 i30 with $1000 deductibles. 31, married, pretty clean record.

I also carry an additional liability policy that costs me about $150 a year.
Old 07-11-2001, 07:29 PM

Originally posted by MaineI30

Insurance might be lower but don't be so sure the registration is. The mil rate in Maine is pretty high.

Damn! Wytopitlock is the woods! I live in Portland and I'm closer to you in CT than I am that place!!

Yah, I don't know if youve been up to Wytopitlock its a heaven for bear and moose hunting (if you won the moose lottery, which i didn't) but my dad said something about not paying any property taxes for a car in maine?!?! The milrate in my city is like 27.5
Old 07-11-2001, 07:35 PM

Yah, I don't know if youve been up to Wytopitlock its a heaven for bear and moose hunting (if you won the moose lottery, which i didn't) but my dad said something about not paying any property taxes for a car in maine?!?! The milrate in my city is like 27.5

I WISH there was no excise tax!!! You pay a significant excise tax when you register. The mil rate drops as the car ages, but it's pretty significant. I'd guess on a new car it's 23-25 mil rate.
Old 07-11-2001, 08:17 PM

I WISH there was no excise tax!!! You pay a significant excise tax when you register. The mil rate drops as the car ages, but it's pretty significant. I'd guess on a new car it's 23-25 mil rate.
congrats on your car being in a mag.. (i forgot what mag, was it sport compact car?) it was posted here a few days ago.. congrats!
Old 07-12-2001, 06:19 AM

Originally posted by AznWontonboy

congrats on your car being in a mag.. (i forgot what mag, was it sport compact car?) it was posted here a few days ago.. congrats!

Hey thanks man! It was v. cool, even if they spelled "Infiniti" AND my name wrong!!!

Yeh, it was SCC.
Old 07-12-2001, 06:34 AM
99silvermax

Couldn't take Maine...

I couldn't imagine living in Maine or anywhere up there. TOO COLD!

Old 07-12-2001, 01:24 PM

Re: Couldn't take Maine...

Originally posted by 99silvermax

Yeh New England winters can suck, but the summers are wonderful. It's great right now.

Where are you?
Old 07-12-2001, 03:04 PM

Re: Couldn't take Maine...

Too cold and there is like nobody living in that country its all empty...no offense to those who live in maine..i live in Boston
Old 07-12-2001, 05:15 PM

Re: Re: Couldn't take Maine...

Originally posted by 2001SE

Too cold and there is like nobody living in that country its all empty...no offense to those who live in maine..i live in Boston
Well not all of Maine, where I go it is the boonies, but its cool for weekends and weekly gettaways nice and quiet, no cable, no telephone, barely analog cellular coverage, all pick-ups, ahh its the life :-)
Old 07-12-2001, 08:50 PM

Re: Re: Couldn't take Maine...

Originally posted by 2001SE

Too cold? And you live in Boston? Dude I have exactly the same weather you do. I'm an hour from the north shore of Boston. How much weather difference you think there is??

All empty? You're thinking of, like, northern Maine. Not south coastal Maine, which I would point out is ten minutes from Massachusetts.

Old 07-12-2001, 08:53 PM

Re: Re: Re: Couldn't take Maine...

Well not all of Maine, where I go it is the boonies, but its cool for weekends and weekly gettaways nice and quiet, no cable, no telephone, barely analog cellular coverage, all pick-ups, ahh its the life :-)

yeh, exactly, not all of Maine. Portland is a great little city. As I said in the last post, I'm an hour from North Shore Boston.

You guys are talking about the northern woods. Like six hours from here. I'm closer to New York City than I am those places...

Cell phone coverage from Portland south is excellent. Where are you going that there's no cable or telephone? The sticks, I presume.

Interesting facts: maine is the only state in the country with a 100% digital fiber optics from coast to coast.

Also Portland was the first city in the country to have high-speed cable modem access. Why? Great infrastructure. Who woulda thunk?

Old 07-13-2001, 06:08 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Couldn't take Maine...

yeh, exactly, not all of Maine. Portland is a great little city. As I said in the last post, I'm an hour from North Shore Boston.

You guys are talking about the northern woods. Like six hours from here. I'm closer to New York City than I am those places...

Cell phone coverage from Portland south is excellent. Where are you going that there's no cable or telephone? The sticks, I presume.

Interesting facts: maine is the only state in the country with a 100% digital fiber optics from coast to coast.

Also Portland was the first city in the country to have high-speed cable modem access. Why? Great infrastructure. Who woulda thunk?

Hey guys we're not debating whether or not Maine is the booonies cause not all of it is, I mean I didn't know that Maine had cable internet first, hell I've been stuck on DSL here in Conn. and waiting for cable for what seems like ages. But I said WHERE I Go is the boonies, its a city called Wytopitlock 30 min from Lincoln. As for being cold same exact temp as here in Conn IMO, I went up a few weeks ago and while it was 62 rainign in conn. it was high 70's sunshine in upper maine, and for 2001SE's information and the mainei30 where i go is in fact northern maine its 7 hours from conn. and possibly 4 or 5 from augusta so its way up their an hmmm still not cold? BTW for whoever said maine was cold have you even been up to maine? lol so my appologies to MaineI30, I wasn't debating the fact that maine was boondox, just where I go and I appologize if it made it seem like that but augusta, bangor, and most bigger cities are very heavily poppulated and at the same time don't resemble NYC in terms of air cleanliness... BTW MaineI30 why did you take out the PC that thing was SWEET!!!!!1
Old 07-13-2001, 06:33 AM
99silvermax

I AM IN THE OTHER EXTREME...

I am in SC and this is how my year goes:

Sept - Nov = 60-80 highs, 50 lows
Dec - Feb = 50-70 highs, 30-50 lows
Mar - April = 60 - 80 highs, 40-50 lows
May - June = 70 - 90 highs, 50-60 lows
July - August = 90 - 100 highs, 70-80 lows

Snows maybe once every 5 years. Very nice. No gravel or road salt.

Old 07-13-2001, 07:31 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Couldn't take Maine...

Hey guys we're not debating whether or not Maine is the booonies cause not all of it is, I mean I didn't know that Maine had cable internet first, hell I've been stuck on DSL here in Conn. and waiting for cable for what seems like ages. But I said WHERE I Go is the boonies, its a city called Wytopitlock 30 min from Lincoln. As for being cold same exact temp as here in Conn IMO, I went up a few weeks ago and while it was 62 rainign in conn. it was high 70's sunshine in upper maine, and for 2001SE's information and the mainei30 where i go is in fact northern maine its 7 hours from conn. and possibly 4 or 5 from augusta so its way up their an hmmm still not cold? BTW for whoever said maine was cold have you even been up to maine? lol so my appologies to MaineI30, I wasn't debating the fact that maine was boondox, just where I go and I appologize if it made it seem like that but augusta, bangor, and most bigger cities are very heavily poppulated and at the same time don't resemble NYC in terms of air cleanliness...
Oh yeah yeah - I wasn't debating that northern Maine is cold and isolated. It definitely is. I was just saying people don't realize that southern coastal Maine (Portland, York, Kennebunkport, etc.) is just a little ways from Boston -- that it's not the boondox. Sure, there are places that are far far away from anywhere (like you said .. 7 hours!!! I can drive to New York City faster than I can drive to the tip of Maine) but there are places like Portland that are really close to Boston, are really well set up, and great places to live with lots going on... that's all. And I always like to point out that Maine is 10 minutes from Mass. Hey we used to be the same state you know!

I din't mean to be sensitive -- just hate it when people say that Maine is all sticks and stuff, etc. or that the weather is all the same as Siberia! .. my weather is the same as Boston, which, in the winter, can really SUCK!!!!

BTW MaineI30 why did you take out the PC that thing was SWEET!!!!!1
It was fun, it was a nice science project, but I got SOOOO sick of the problems, it like never worked, so many issues, etc. I thought how nice it would be to just have beautiful music...
Old 07-13-2001, 07:33 AM

Re: I AM IN THE OTHER EXTREME...

I am in SC and this is how my year goes:

Sept - Nov = 60-80 highs, 50 lows
Dec - Feb = 50-70 highs, 30-50 lows
Mar - April = 60 - 80 highs, 40-50 lows
May - June = 70 - 90 highs, 50-60 lows
July - August = 90 - 100 highs, 70-80 lows

Snows maybe once every 5 years. Very nice. No gravel or road salt.
I know we're gonna get booted to off-topic, but yes, that is nice (humidity though..). I won't make any Mason-Dixon line jokes, either! Although south carolina is decent, my favorite weather pattern is Southern California's, I think.
Old 07-13-2001, 08:06 AM
99silvermax

This isn't off topic...

We are discussing the advantages of dense cold air from Maine vs. warm humid air from SC. So Cal is a good call.

Old 09-23-2001, 07:40 AM

Originally posted by GXEme
Hi,

I'm from the greater Portland area of Maine. I haven't had a ticket in about 5 years, am over 25, married, and have two cars on one policy. I pay between $600 to $700 per year for my 2000 auto GXE. That's with $100 and $250 deductibles. Hope this info helps.

Whoa!! I didnt know we had a 5th gen mainer! I was just searching the archives for "maine" and found this post! Well jeez GXEme, you need to come to the maine meets!! And you need to go to www.maine-street.com and post your car! its a site for maine car enthusists! head on over! Oh, im in the Augusta area.
Old 09-23-2001, 09:15 AM

Originally posted by Nick Robinson

Whoa!! I didnt know we had a 5th gen mainer! I was just searching the archives for "maine" and found this post! Well jeez GXEme, you need to come to the maine meets!! And you need to go to www.maine-street.com and post your car! its a site for maine car enthusists! head on over! Oh, im in the Augusta area.
damn more of you 5th gens in Maine than down here in Conn. Dude keep me updated on any Maine meets I go up there every so often usually with my step dads car but I wouldn't mind bringing my baby up for some fun
Old 09-23-2001, 09:19 AM

damn more of you 5th gens in Maine than down here in Conn. Dude keep me updated on any Maine meets I go up there every so often usually with my step dads car but I wouldn't mind bringing my baby up for some fun

will do. We should have one before snow fall...
Old 09-23-2001, 09:28 AM

Originally posted by Nick Robinson

will do. We should have one before snow fall...
cool dude I should be up in Whitopitlock (Lincoln area) in 2 weeks for the weekend so keep us updated
Old 09-23-2001, 09:28 AM

maybe MaineI30 can come I wanna check out his system and he promised to pose with my car
Old 09-23-2001, 09:32 AM

maybe MaineI30 can come I wanna check out his system and he promised to pose with my car

ehhhh i dont even want to know about this
hehe, but yeah he always comes the maine meets... well all 2 of them.
Old 09-23-2001, 03:16 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Couldn't take Maine...

Other interesting facts - State of Maine has the same population as the COUNTY I live in (Suffolk - Eastern Long Island, New York) and Portland has pretty much the same climate. I can't wait to retire there - 3 or so years!!
I don't think they property tax posessions like Connecticut (I think Conn. is nearly unique that way) but I do believe you have to pay sales tax on the car when you move it there. I figure the reduction in insurance rates in Maine will about offset the higher income tax for me.
If a lot of people move to Maine it won't make much difference, so I can't wait to become a MANIAC (even though I'll still be from "Away")

Dave
Old 09-23-2001, 03:26 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Couldn't take Maine...

Originally posted by wdave

Other interesting facts - State of Maine has the same population as the COUNTY I live in (Suffolk - Eastern Long Island, New York) and Portland has pretty much the same climate. I can't wait to retire there - 3 or so years!!
I don't think they property tax posessions like Connecticut (I think Conn. is nearly unique that way) but I do believe you have to pay sales tax on the car when you move it there. I figure the reduction in insurance rates in Maine will about offset the higher income tax for me.
If a lot of people move to Maine it won't make much difference, so I can't wait to become a MANIAC (even though I'll still be from "Away")

Dave
I like Maine alot too, but just dont call it rural or mainei30 will get into a frenzy j/k!
Old 09-23-2001, 04:50 PM

You're going to ditch us here in ct??