5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

More addictive than crack!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2001, 08:53 PM
Jp0469

Damn! I first came here about 2 weeks ago and lurked around for a few days never intending to do any mods to my 2K Max SE. Well guess what, I just finished installing my Stillen RSB, FSTB, and just last Saturday I put in clear corners and a JWT Popcharger. BTW, the RSB/FSTB combo is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet! Worth every penny. I headed right to the highway to try it out on a few exit ramps. Feels like I'm cornering on rails now.

Now I just have to decide what mods are next: Y-pipe? H&R kit? New rims?

Funny thing is I thought these days were behind me. After all, I'm a 32 year old professional but I guess it's never too late to have a happy childhood.

JP

Old 07-11-2001, 09:11 PM

i'm still a kid, but damn i have yet to do any mods....

i just ordered myself a rsb, i can't wait...........

i tried to stay out of modding, but i fell for it tonight. i kept on reading how nice the rsb and ftsb were, i saw group deal on the rsb and i jumped it. no going back now......
Old 07-11-2001, 10:00 PM

group deal?

group deal still avail??? is it on a stillen?
Old 07-11-2001, 10:14 PM

Re: group deal?

Originally posted by DeaZaL
group deal still avail??? is it on a stillen?
It's for the Cattman RSB (actually a black powdercoated Addco bar), and you can get it at a great price from www.custommaxima.com. Greg, the guy who assembles these group deals for us, is great to work with and I highly recommend you exploit him instead of shox.com, who has the Addco (not powdercoated) bar for slightly cheaper but on backorder.
Old 07-11-2001, 10:24 PM

hey

Hey is that RSB as good as the Stillen one??

If so,, im your 5th...
Old 07-11-2001, 10:43 PM

i thought i was the fifth. lol. i don't think there is a certain number for the amount of rsb's they have, it's just the minimum, maybe??

but it supposedly works just as well as the stillen, but people have had problems with noises coming from it, but other people say that they don't have problems. i think it all has to do with the install. if you do a good job it'll be fine.

better make up your mind soon. lol. it ends tomorrow. good luck.
Old 07-11-2001, 11:13 PM
PhatGuy

Good for you man! The RSB/FSTB combo is an excellent start. I say get the Y-Pipe, H&R, and then rims (if not all at once . You got a 5spd or auto? If you got a 5spd get a short throw shifter fo' sho'! That is also money well spent!

Originally posted by Jp0469
Damn! I first came here about 2 weeks ago and lurked around for a few days never intending to do any mods to my 2K Max SE. Well guess what, I just finished installing my Stillen RSB, FSTB, and just last Saturday I put in clear corners and a JWT Popcharger. BTW, the RSB/FSTB combo is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet! Worth every penny. I headed right to the highway to try it out on a few exit ramps. Feels like I'm cornering on rails now.

Funny thing is I thought these days were behind me. After all, I'm a 32 year old professional but I guess it's never too late to have a happy childhood.

JP

Old 07-12-2001, 03:14 AM

Just installed my Cattman RSB last night, didn't get a chance to really test it out. On curves, loose stuff were flying around inside the car. . .

One thing that concerned me is that the bolts on the trailing arms seemed too short. . . I had a helluva time getting the nuts to even thread on. . . I might end up going to some autoparts store to get some longer bolts.

Careful w/ your powdercoat, i dropped a wrench on the RSB and a good chunk of powdercoat came right off.

bp
Old 07-12-2001, 04:57 AM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by pinakbet

One thing that concerned me is that the bolts on the trailing arms seemed too short. . . I had a helluva time getting the nuts to even thread on. . . I might end up going to some autoparts store to get some longer bolts.

bp

you did remove the black rings that sit on the strut tower before putting the FSTB on right? You don't need those with the FSTB.
Old 07-12-2001, 05:27 AM
Chillboy

the y-pipe should be your next mod. now that you got some cornering, you need the speed baby!

Old 07-12-2001, 05:58 AM

Re: hey

Originally posted by DeaZaL
Hey is that RSB as good as the Stillen one??

If so,, im your 5th...
I just bought an addco rsb, and in terms of performance it works perfectly. The stillen rsb appears to be a better design and will probably fit the car better. This alone is not worth spending an extra $100. The only real problem with the addco rsb that I've noticed, maybe twice, is a minor clunking noise when accelerating down sloped or inclined pavements. I do not think the noise has ANYTHING to do with the instal, but possibly the design and fit of the rsb. I do not know what exactly causes the noise, but its really not a big deal at all. In normal roadway driving and cornering it doesn't clunk at all, only when quickly accelerating out of and into parking lots that have a relatively inclined slop to the road. You'll hear worse noises (unrelated to the rsb) ten times a day from going over bumbs and cracked pavement. My bottom line was that stillen's rsb is way over priced, and addco's performs just fine. In any event, you'll notice a big difference in handling. The back tires will grip the road much better.
Old 07-12-2001, 07:20 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

We are evil! We make EVERYONE mod!!! :vampire:

Glad you like your mods.
Old 07-12-2001, 11:53 AM

. . . Funny thing is I thought these days were behind me. After all, I'm a 32 year old professional but I guess it's never too late to have a happy childhood. . .
Just wait until you've BEEN a professional for nearly 32 years and you still can't leave things stock!!! Hey, no kids still living at home means you don't have to make as many compromises, right???

I'm also interested in rear antiroll bars and a STB. Item of curiosity - what are the diameters of these bars?

Norm
Old 07-12-2001, 01:52 PM

Yeah, the front strut bar is great. To me the suspension feels better, even when driving straight. I want to get the Y-pip next, but not sure. Will getting it effect the warranty, or cause my car to fail emissions test??
Old 07-12-2001, 02:23 PM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by y2KAOSMax
Yeah, the front strut bar is great. To me the suspension feels better, even when driving straight. I want to get the Y-pip next, but not sure. Will getting it effect the warranty, or cause my car to fail emissions test??

if you leave the main cat on and get your emissions tested when the car is warmed up, you will pass emissions testing...
Old 07-12-2001, 02:44 PM

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE

if you leave the main cat on and get your emissions tested when the car is warmed up, you will pass emissions testing...
Will you the inspector see that you have a Y-pipe or they can't notice it...BTW how warm the car needs to be?
Old 07-12-2001, 05:03 PM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by 2001SE

Will you the inspector see that you have a Y-pipe or they can't notice it...BTW how warm the car needs to be?
If the guy really knows what to look for, then he can tell. The car just needs to be at normal operating temperatures....drive it for 15 minutes or so...
Old 07-12-2001, 05:07 PM

JP
Yup...25 and counting but no stopping with the modding.

I give you props...you got a grip of mods done in just two weeks.
Old 07-12-2001, 10:36 PM

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE

you did remove the black rings that sit on the strut tower before putting the FSTB on right? You don't need those with the FSTB.
hehehe... actually, mine didn't have the rings. but I was referring to the C-bolts(?) for the RSB. did i do something wrong? C-bolts seem short...

bp

hey how much hp more are diamond cut clear as opposed to regular clears?
Old 07-12-2001, 11:46 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

JP
I'm with you JP. I'm 34 and just got a Max in April. Funny thing is I didn't mod any of my previous vehicles at all. But in just the last two months I've done numerous mods, all thanks to this board! Or is that all blame?
Old 07-13-2001, 04:38 AM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by sleepermax

But in just the last two months I've done numerous mods, all thanks to this board! Or is that all blame?

hehehe....sorry man