5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

What you dislike about your 2000-2001 max

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2001, 04:58 PM

Ok, I have a 99 SE and will look at the 2002 Max SE, as well as the Altima V6. At the TL-S forum I see a lot of people having minor problems with their cars. May it be squeaks, body flaws, exhaust, etc. Have you had much problem with your 2000-2001? I love my max but always want more juice. The back end looks better one some Max than others, and I don't know why.
Old 07-12-2001, 05:10 PM

Paint for one thing. Soft glass I heard from people in other threads, and well thats it! I love my 2k. Also, I know maxima.org servers suck but since I see your a newbie please delete accidental double threads so the admin won't have to thanks!
Old 07-12-2001, 05:43 PM

I absolutely love my car, it's a very late 2000, no squeeks or rattles, and no paint chips! I only hold 1 thing against it, it's FWD! As an old RWD muscle-car guy, I just can't get used to the torque-steer & the pushing! Maybe Nissan will import the Skyline!
Regards, David Burnette
Old 07-12-2001, 06:10 PM

You know what i most dislike, it that you can't roll down the front two windows from the remote like you could in the 4th gens. Why did they take out such a great feature. It added at least 10 cool points to the car
Old 07-12-2001, 06:12 PM

I wish my 2000 had audio controls on the steering wheel like the '01 guys do
Old 07-12-2001, 07:32 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

what I dislike about the Max / why I bought an Accord V6

The Maxima had:

1) A shortshifting auto tranny
2) Fuel-cut issues on manual tranny
3) No good tranny (#1 and #2!!!)
4) Widespread reports of crappy paint
5) Requires premium fuel (vs. Accord V6 which can run on 87)
6) $3-4k more than Accord V6, at least when I was buying.
7) 2002 Max with 260HP would be available in less than a year and I feared getting screwed on resale value, and of feeling prematurely "obsolete" if I bought a 2k1 Max.
8) Accord V6 auto performed similarly to Maxima/auto, and I preferred an auto anyways.

The Maxima still is the best 4DSC though. The Maxima handles AWESOME and can take the twisties very well - something my Accord V6 couldn't ever even dream of doing without MAJOR upgrades in suspension and wheels - and that might be a good bit of the price difference between a MaxSE and an Accord EX V6 right there...

I may be able to keep up with you guys in a straight line, but you'll whip my sorry butt on the twisties

But handling and having a stick shift wasn't my thing, so I bought an Accord V6
Old 07-12-2001, 08:32 PM

No complaints from me either! Just Maxima Bliss!
Old 07-13-2001, 04:21 AM

Originally posted by AdamK
. . . Soft glass I heard from people in other threads . . .
Yup. Got some windshield scratches from using a plastic ice scraper. Invisible most of the time, but a major PITA when you do see them.

Norm
Old 07-13-2001, 05:41 AM
99silvermax

I am missing something here....

Why is stevetec here? I see him poping up every now and then with nothing good to say. I ride in my friends Accord V6 all the time and can't stand it. Exterior and interior are soooo plain. Liking the Accord's "lunge" transmission is a personal problem. Stay in generic.net with your honda buddies.

Old 07-13-2001, 05:50 AM

My windshield looks more like a blast shield. Must be all of those moquitoes I hit at 100+mph. I only had the car 3 months and the visibilty is already down 25%.

Also, I wish I could decrease the turning radius. I have to K-turn with the Max on streets my Taurus could U-turn comfortably. And the Taurus is a bigger car!
Old 07-13-2001, 06:12 AM
99silvermax

TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION

I am 2300 miles into my '01 SE 5-SPD and I don't have any complaints. My windshield is fine and I have out XPEL on to combat the front paint issues (just in case). I will say that my friend has a TL and I think the paint is worse on those than the Maxima - which some people admit. If you can find a car in the same price range that doesn't make any noises, has perfect paint, and does not look like a rental car, let me know. The maxima is a perfect blend for me. Reliabilty, performance, GOOD LOOKS, and a large interior.

Old 07-13-2001, 06:17 AM

The front end I dont care for the one on my 97SE looks alot more aggressive. I also hate the auto tranny it hunts for gears and that is on both of my Max's.
Old 07-13-2001, 06:34 AM

Re: I am missing something here....

Originally posted by 99silvermax
Why is stevetec here? I see him poping up every now and then with nothing good to say. I ride in my friends Accord V6 all the time and can't stand it. Exterior and interior are soooo plain. Liking the Accord's "lunge" transmission is a personal problem. Stay in generic.net with your honda buddies.
Also my friend parents have a 2000 accord and damn that **** is loud as a ****!
Old 07-13-2001, 07:34 AM

one of the most disadvatages in the maxima(fully loaded)is that god damn radius turn...every 90degres turn i take...i have to fully turn the wheel and sometimes i even get on the other side of the road in order to complete the turn...and the auto tranny sucks as hell(shifting 1st at like 6k and 2nd at 5800)oh well...no car is perfect..hehe:smile:
Old 07-13-2001, 08:10 AM

Re: I am missing something here....

Oh man, I never have anything good to say? You should hang out here a little bit more if you're going to say stuff like that. If you did you'd know that I'm a HUGE Maxima fan - I just bought an Accord this time around because it worked out a little better for me. Maybe next time I'll buy a Maxima (and I might even get a 2k2 6spd! (see below).

Hint: I changed my username from "stevepake"
Old 07-13-2001, 08:35 AM
99silvermax

I go to other posts to, but I don't bring any negative statements with me because I don't own a TL, etc... Accords are a less $$, but I don't think "better deal" are the best words to use.

I can sum up all of your thoughts in a few words... "The car handles well, but everything is not up to my standards."

No offense, but keep the negatives to yourself until you have a maxima.

Old 07-13-2001, 08:40 AM

T.R.

Originally posted by 2001SE
one of the most disadvatages in the maxima(fully loaded)is that god damn radius turn...
AMEN! The turning radius with the Maxima is flat out *TERRIBLE*...!!!!! No more tight U-turns for me. I almost died like 3 times having to reverse in the intersection just so I wouldn't slam into the curb.
Old 07-13-2001, 09:07 AM

Re: T.R.

Originally posted by nisMAXse

AMEN! The turning radius with the Maxima is flat out *TERRIBLE*...!!!!! No more tight U-turns for me. I almost died like 3 times having to reverse in the intersection just so I wouldn't slam into the curb.
I ****!ing hate parking that thing...sucks as$...Nissan made it cheap...puttign 17" on the same body and decreasing the radius turn..if you'll drive a 16" maxima you'll see that the radius is smaller...
Old 07-13-2001, 09:17 AM

RELAX!

He's been here longer and probably knows a hell of a lot more than most of the people in this place. Don't talk **** just read and enjoy like the rest of us here. He's been in a lot of flame threads with the acura guys and has defended the max against all of them. Have you been there?? Steve you're still welcome here and you know that. Later

I go to other posts to, but I don't bring any negative statements with me because I don't own a TL, etc... Accords are a less $$, but I don't think "better deal" are the best words to use.

I can sum up all of your thoughts in a few words... "The car handles well, but everything is not up to my standards."

No offense, but keep the negatives to yourself until you have a maxima.
Old 07-13-2001, 09:22 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Not plugging Cattmans' coilovers, but last weekend I drove his lowered 4th gen with 17" rims and it turned on-a-dime compared to my 5th gen with stock 17" rims.

I dunno if 4th gens have a smaller turning radius than 5th gens, but it was IMMEDIATELY noticeable. Maybe the top part of the STOCK strut that turns is the problem, because Cattmans coilovers eliminates the notchy slow speed turn feeling and maybe it helps turning radius. It's all about the bearings, mono-ball, and races of the coilover vs. whatever the stock strut has. Just a thought.
Old 07-13-2001, 09:54 AM
99silvermax

NOT TRYING TO GET RID OF ANYONE...

It's like me going into the TL site and telling people why I bought my Maxima instead of a TL and then telling them that they do have an edge in some areas. WHY? I have seen some posts that he defends the maxima in and I ask myself why? An Accord is a much better ride than a Camry (almost got an Accord coupe), but I am not one to say why. I just hear enough from the guys that own Maximas about problems they are having and drawbacks of the car - which I don't like either - and to have someone who does not drive the car make negative comments, is just dumb. Steve, if you read this, think if I came to your site and started posting crap about Accord and i don't own one. If it is a negative statement against your car, come on in the ring. If not, stay out.

Old 07-13-2001, 09:57 AM

Originally posted by IceY2K1
. . . I dunno if 4th gens have a smaller turning radius than 5th gens, but it was IMMEDIATELY noticeable. Maybe the top part of the STOCK strut that turns is the problem, because Cattmans coilovers eliminates the notchy slow speed turn feeling and maybe it helps turning radius. It's all about the bearings, mono-ball, and races of the coilover vs. whatever the stock strut has. Just a thought.
I don't think that the smooth or notchy feeling is related to turning circle diameter unless the specific parts are also set for a different angular limit.

Part of it probably is due to the slight stretch in wheelbase that went into the 5th gen. And Nissan may be setting the maximum steering lock rather conservatively for the 17" option. Road & Track (June 99) reported a 35.4' turning circle for the 2K SE with 215/55-16's, which isn't all that bad for 108"+ wheelbase and transverse FWD. But perhaps there's an easy way to free up a little more steering lock after checking clearances. If I can get to it this weekend . . .

Norm
Old 07-13-2001, 10:00 AM

Dislikes

1. Dashboard rattles.
2. Paint chips.
3. Slow-shifting automatic.

The list of "likes" is longer though...
Old 07-13-2001, 10:16 AM

Originally posted by VeggieH8R
My windshield looks more like a blast shield. Must be all of those moquitoes I hit at 100+mph. I only had the car 3 months and the visibilty is already down 25%.

Also, I wish I could decrease the turning radius. I have to K-turn with the Max on streets my Taurus could U-turn comfortably. And the Taurus is a bigger car!
Turning radius for me is a problem too. I must look like a real dork backing up when I miss a parking spot a bit.

I don't like the fuel cut problem but I expect that Nissan will fix it
Old 07-13-2001, 10:17 AM

Re: NOT TRYING TO GET RID OF ANYONE...

It's like me going into the TL site and telling people why I bought my Maxima instead of a TL and then telling them that they do have an edge in some areas. WHY? I have seen some posts that he defends the maxima in and I ask myself why? An Accord is a much better ride than a Camry (almost got an Accord coupe), but I am not one to say why. I just hear enough from the guys that own Maximas about problems they are having and drawbacks of the car - which I don't like either - and to have someone who does not drive the car make negative comments, is just dumb. Steve, if you read this, think if I came to your site and started posting crap about Accord and i don't own one. If it is a negative statement against your car, come on in the ring. If not, stay out.

Dude, switch to decaf man. Your scaring the rest of us.
Old 07-13-2001, 10:26 AM
99silvermax

LET ME CLEAR MY SCREEN NAME...

Someone who will remain nameless (but will get paid back) has been posting this crap using my name. I don't know Steve but this guy does and doesn't like him for some reason. Password has been changed. Later

Old 07-13-2001, 10:32 AM

type s

now correct me if im wrong but youre looking at a altima v6 (very nice) 2k2 Max, or a TL-S? The TL-S would seem to be alot more expensive than the Nissan's. I would go for the Type S for the beautiful looks and shear performance. The 2k2 max can move but i think the exterior changes dont do the car any justice. And the alty is a nice car for the money and its can go in 6.4 i believe.
Old 07-13-2001, 10:40 AM

Re: NOT TRYING TO GET RID OF ANYONE...

Thanks, DenMax

It's like me going into the TL site and telling people why I bought my Maxima instead of a TL and then telling them that they do have an edge in some areas. WHY?
Because I'm levelheaded, and I'm a fan of all Japanese imports. I may own a Honda, but I'm not a member of any "camp" (like the TL camp) and I could just as easily buy a Maxima or an Altima or even a Camry the next time around just as easily as I might buy another Accord or even a TL. I'm a fan of all Japanese imports, and not just the Accord, or just the Maxima, or just the TL. I own an Accord, and I even moderate an Accord forum, but that doesn't make me part of that "camp" because I like other cars as well. But clearly you're a member of the Maxima "camp" and refuse to hear anything negative about your car, just like the TL guys refuse to hear anything bad about theirs.

I have seen some posts that he defends the maxima in and I ask myself why?
Because I hate bullsh!t and some of the TL/CL guys are full of it and need to be put in their places. When they say that there's no way in hell a Maxima 5-spd can beat a TL-S and that we should shut up that's bullsh!t, and I've proved it, mag numbers have proved it, and guys that do own Maxima's have proven it on the street. I hate bullsh!t.

An Accord is a much better ride than a Camry (almost got an Accord coupe), but I am not one to say why. I just hear enough from the guys that own Maximas about problems they are having and drawbacks of the car - which I don't like either - and to have someone who does not drive the car make negative comments, is just dumb.
Why? I can point out the strengths and weaknesses of the Camry, Accord, Passat, Maxima, TL, and pretty much every car in this segment. All of them are different and there are good things and bad things about all of them. The car that you choose depends on which things are most important to you. You say that an Accord is a much better ride than a Camry, but a Camry owner could say differently because everyone's needs are different.

Steve, if you read this, think if I came to your site and started posting crap about Accord and i don't own one. If it is a negative statement against your car, come on in the ring. If not, stay out.
I think you identify too closely with your car, because it seems that if anyone dares to point out the flaws in your car you take it as a personal insult.

If you came to my Accord V6 board and post a blatant "Accord sucks the shia" flame I'll simply hit the delete button. But if you want to come and learn more about the Accord and point out the strenghts and weaknesses and learn about the problems of each car and their unique characteristics and have an intelligent conversation then I welcome that.

Here, I'll flame my own car. The stock handling SUCKS and would require THOUSANDS of dollars in upgrades to get it up to stock Maxima SE levels. The interior is rather flimsy in some places. The moonroof rattles like mad (gotta get that fixed - there's a TSB for it). The headrests rattle when you go over bumps because the height adjuster bolt vibrates against the pins (fixed that with some tape to buffer it). There's a metallic twangy rattle in the dashboard somewhere, and the left-rear passenger seat makes popping noises because it rubs against the door material. it's not supposed to do that but there's improper clearance and I need to get that fixed as well.

Do you know how much it sucks to be driving down the road in my beautiful new Accord hearing 4 separate rattle/pop noises inside the car. My fricken 1990 Camry DX didn't even have one such noise even after 207,000 miles!!!!!!

The Accord interior SUCKS!!!! It's designed excellently ergonomically, but the implementation and the quality of materials could use A LOT of improvement!!

There, do you feel better now?? I flamed my own car!

Now you guys know what sucks in the Accord

====================

Come on man, I come here in peace. I love the Maxima and have always been a huge fan of the Max, and it's actually the Maxima that made me an auto enthusiast in the first place!! (imagine that!)

I love the image of the Maxima too, but my unique needs for a car were in one place and what the Maxima offered was in a different place, and it just so happened that the Accord fit my unique needs better, so I bought one of those.

Next time around though I very well might buy a Maxima
Old 07-13-2001, 11:09 AM

Re: LET ME CLEAR MY SCREEN NAME...

Someone who will remain nameless (but will get paid back) has been posting this crap using my name. I don't know Steve but this guy does and doesn't like him for some reason. Password has been changed. Later
Then I rescind my earlier post, at least to you, not the imposter.

Steve I was wondering when you were gonna show up! Well said.
Old 07-13-2001, 12:10 PM

Re: LET ME CLEAR MY SCREEN NAME...

hahaha!!! - that's hilarious

Hey - this "nameless person" doesn't happen to be an Acura Type-S owner are they ???

muhahahaha!! :vampire:
Old 07-13-2001, 12:12 PM

Well I got the car last June. got some early paint chips and agreed with others about the thin paint. But since then I haven't gotten one chip! Pretty strange. It's like the paint hadn't fully curred when I took delivery.
The front window and rear scratch way too easily, plus chips. I'll replace it in 3-4 years as usual.
Getting the SE and not testing it on rough roads was a mistake as the car has primative suspension engineering.
The car has severe impact harshness when hitting any small bump in the road. Running 30 psi has help some, plus I've gotten used to it.
Other than the above, no problems and I'm generally happy now, but wasn't for the first 9 months.
Old 07-13-2001, 12:29 PM

If you think the 5th gen SE has a harsh ride then try a fourth gen, my 5th gen rides like a Caddy by comparison also glad you are happy with your Max but I have not had any paint chips. Guess I'm lucky.
Old 07-13-2001, 04:20 PM
Chillboy

I dislike the wimpy horn. sounds like a little kid whining. my previous car, the cavalier had a better horn.

Old 07-13-2001, 07:36 PM

Re: RELAX!

Originally posted by DenMax
He's been here longer and probably knows a hell of a lot more than most of the people in this place. Don't talk **** just read and enjoy like the rest of us here. He's been in a lot of flame threads with the acura guys and has defended the max against all of them. Have you been there?? Steve you're still welcome here and you know that. Later

Sorry, Den, but I still agree with Silvermax!
Old 07-13-2001, 08:26 PM

Re: Re: RELAX!

The thing i dislike about my car the most is that its sitting in a junkyard totaled because I killed it taking a turn too fast!

Jonathan Marsh
Old 07-13-2001, 09:03 PM

Max disses

...first, what's up with this accord/tl bashing stuff? I don't even think about those cars because I see them in a totally (lower)class than the maxima, even though the TL is more pricey, it just doesn't impress like the maxima...ok now that is off my chest.

Dislikes..well, the PAINT!!!! I think the interior materials are cheap in some ways. My pet peeve is that the emergency break is shrouded in hard plastic. Come on, is a synthetic leather boot that much more expensive? I dislike that next year you have the option of a nav system, trip computer, and speed-sensitive volume control and 6-speeds and 260 HP!!! But I think my AE looks way better than the 2002 max so I really don't care in the end.

That is about really it. I love my car too much. I need to get over it because every little scratch and chip sends me to counseling (grin). Is there a 12 step program for Maxima-holics? Shall we start one???

...love my max, paint chips and cheapy park brake and all!!!

srm
Old 07-13-2001, 09:23 PM

-Wider rear tires to fill the wheel wells better (16 inch)

-Subwoofer rattle

-Loose front passenger window that just drops about an inch if u close the door with the window open.

-Interior grab handles above doors feel cheap

other than that...its all goood hehe