5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Need to replace CAT converter

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 10:12 AM
Banned

Need to replace CAT converter

I need to replace my CAT converter. But im not sure which brand would suffice. I pulled a Check engine light, took my car to get the codes pulled, and it was a bad o2 sensor in the 2nd bank, and cat converter below efficency.

So could any one tell me a decent place to get a cat converter, or should i just go OEM?
Old 05-21-2007, 10:13 AM

I believe cattman sells a racing cat for under $300.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by slickrick
I believe cattman sells a racing cat for under $300.

would i have to get like some O2 simulators because i thought that aftermarket CATS didnt have all the o2 sensor holes?

is this true
Old 05-21-2007, 11:22 AM
Banned

This is the CAT that cattman offers.....its made by Random Technology

But they dont offer the CAT DIRECTLY so i went to stillen's website

i have a stock exhaust so i guess this is the one i need
http://www.stillen.com/product.asp?id=RTECSHFCNV01&c=PE

would my best bet be to order a bank 2 O2 sensor from DAVE B?
Old 05-21-2007, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Trurida18
I need to replace my CAT converter. But im not sure which brand would suffice. I pulled a Check engine light, took my car to get the codes pulled, and it was a bad o2 sensor in the 2nd bank, and cat converter below efficency.

So could any one tell me a decent place to get a cat converter, or should i just go OEM?
If it was my car, I would wait until i replace the O2 sensor before replacing the cat. Cat's usually don't go bad, the code might be a result of the bad O2 sensor, trying to save you some cash here in un needed repairs......
Old 05-21-2007, 12:45 PM
Nightmare = Reality

If it is in fact the cat dying; I'd personally get the Random Tech cat and deal with an O2 sensor issue if i had one. all things being equal, might as well upgrade the part if you're replacing it.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Chris99SE
If it was my car, I would wait until i replace the O2 sensor before replacing the cat. Cat's usually don't go bad, the code might be a result of the bad O2 sensor, trying to save you some cash here in un needed repairs......
I agree, the cat below threshold or efficiency is the result of a bad O2 sensor. My 01 did the same thing, same bank too. Replaced the sensor, and the code went away.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:51 PM

if you have a voltmeter (multimeter) you can check your 02 to see if its dead. select OHMs as the type of unit measurement and simply unplug your 02 connector from your car, and measure the resistance with the meter. if the meter moves to about 10-15 OHMs (or was it kOHMs..one of those), your 02 is good, if it doesnt move your 02 is dead. I think you connect thte meter to the two black(ground) wires,not sure its been so long.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:04 PM
Banned

I just found out that that bank 2 has TWO o2 Sensors? Is this true??
i cant remember if the mechanic told me the if it was the front or rear of bank 2....He said bank 2 ON THE LEFT SIDE? im going to assume thats the front of bank 2? Can some one shed some light on this?

Also could u possibly tell me where i can get Stock like O2 sensors from?
Im not splicing anything so i dont wanna go universal with anything, seeing as how i wont be doing the install myself
Old 05-22-2007, 03:02 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Exactly what codes are you getting? It sounds like you have to replace your front bank precat and front bank secondary (after the precat) O2 sensor, not the main cat.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Chris99SE
there's a sensor for 02 and one for cat. Cats go bad all the time. Actually it's enough to run on highway speeds for 22 minutes with a bad MAF sensor and run ritch and blow your cat. And right after your engine. Don't ask me how i know this.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:26 AM

I just found out that that bank 2 has TWO o2 Sensors? Is this true??
i cant remember if the mechanic told me the if it was the front or rear of bank 2....He said bank 2 ON THE LEFT SIDE? im going to assume thats the front of bank 2? Can some one shed some light on this?

Also could u possibly tell me where i can get Stock like O2 sensors from?
Im not splicing anything so i dont wanna go universal with anything, seeing as how i wont be doing the install myself
Bank 2 is left side yes.
We got 4 o2 sensors.
and just to let you all know guys aftermarket cats are usually good for about 2-3 years. Especially high flow ones as there is less catalyst material. And make sure it is a 3 way cat.
Old 05-25-2007, 04:06 PM

Did you get code 430? I just fixed this on my I30 (2000). The explanation for this code (from OBDII scanner) was a bad cat which may have been caused by:
1. A large vacuum leak
2. Oil leaking into combustion chamber

It was neither. I changed the front O2 sensor. Left most connector if looking directly at the front of the engine. It should have a blue insulation on the wires. Cost was ~$100 from AutoZone. Repair was verified with 800 mile trip from Baton Rouge to Houston. SES never came back.

When it comes to error codes always replace the simplest/cheapest components first. AutoZone will honor returns of O2 sensors or at least give you a store credit.

btw bank 2 is located on the front side and bank 1 is located on the side facing the firewall.
Old 05-25-2007, 04:40 PM
Banned

WELL I ORDERED THE O2 SENSOR, and once i had the check engine light code cleared, it hasnt come back on...if it does come back on, im gonna install OR HAVE THE 02 sensor installed...hopefully that does the trick....if my mechanic tells me my cat LOOKS fine, then i wont get the cat

but thanks for all your insight everyone
Old 05-25-2007, 04:43 PM

WELL I ORDERED THE O2 SENSOR, and once i had the check engine light code cleared, it hasnt come back on...if it does come back on, im gonna install OR HAVE THE 02 sensor installed...hopefully that does the trick....if my mechanic tells me my cat LOOKS fine, then i wont get the cat

but think all your insight brothers
Once again, the code is for your front bank precat, not your main cat. You can't really check the precat, at least not easily. But definitely try the O2 sensor first.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
Once again, the code is for your front bank precat, not your main cat. You can't really check the precat, at least not easily. But definitely try the O2 sensor first.

gotcha....so i got the "service engine light" AGAIN tonight, tomorrow morning im taking my car to get a oil chance, and im gonna have my mechanic pull the code and tell me WHAT oxygen sensor it is, I HOPE I GOT THE RIGHT ONE.....if he tells me to replace the precat then im gonna replace it

BTW....i looked it up in terms of parts....DO THE CAT AND PRECAT LOOK THE SAME?
Old 05-26-2007, 06:02 AM

They look completely different and are in different places. The main cat is between your b-pipe and y-pipe while the front precat is between the front exhaust manifold and the y-pipe.

Precat is the bottom section of the piece on the right (the top section is the front exhaust manifold):

Main cat:

And here are the relative locations, in this diagram, the "rear cat" refers to the main cat:

Old 05-26-2007, 11:10 AM
Banned

ok, just got my oil change done, and had the mechanic pull my code....he said the scanner said the error message read "TWO WAY Catalyst SYSTEM BANK 2"......the only problem is WHAT DAMN SENSOR IS IT??? i called a couple auto parts stores and said that between the two sensors one has 3 wires and the other has 4 wires. They keep asking me whether its before or after the CAT. can anyone shed some light as to what part "BANK 2" is??

i dont wanna take it to the dealership so they can charge me MY LEG, just for a DIAG to find out which sensor it is, AND i dont want to buy 2 oxygen sensors

THANKS FOR THAT ILLUSTRATION PUPPETMASTER! i really appreciate it. But the illustration kind of has me a little confused as to which part is bank 2....its like bank 2 is the precat and has a front bank 1 sensor in it...
Old 05-27-2007, 03:08 PM
Banned

anyone?? please
Old 05-27-2007, 03:36 PM

What is the code? P0430?

Bank 2 = Front bank (closer to the radiator) = the side "serving" cylinders 2, 4, 6

Bank 1 = Rear bank (closer to the firewall) = the side "serving" cylinders 1, 3, 5

Bank 2 sensor 2 is after the Bank 2 precat, and is the sensor with the red wire wrap. Sensor 1 is before the precat. The same logic applies to both banks front and rear.
Old 05-27-2007, 03:41 PM

I went through this with my 2000 I30 not to long ago. I also found it very confusing and it took me sometime to under stand it.

First, we have a total of 4 o2 sensors...Two "fronts" and two "rears" . We have 2 pre-cats...one in Bank 1 and the other in Bank 2

The O2 senors are before and after the precats. The one before is the called the "front" and the one after the pre-cat is the "rear". The "front" o2 sensors are very important and control the air/fuel mixture. The rear 02 sensors only measure if the pre-cat is working.

Bank 2 is the exaust manifold for the 3 cylinders closest to the radiator. (see diagram above... B2-front-blue & B2-rear-red)

Bank 1 is the exaust manifold for the 3 cylinders that face the fire wall (B1-front-black & B1-rear-white)

If you think the problem is with the Bank 2 sensor that monitors the pre-cat, then you need to replace B2-rear-red, which is located after the pre-cat. in Bank 2.

Hope this helps...Good Luck!
Old 05-27-2007, 05:18 PM
Banned

thanks again puppetmaster and sascuderi,

puppetmaster im not sure what code it is..But like i was saying in one of my previous posts, the mechanic only told me the code displayed "TWO WAY Catalyst SYSTEM BANK 2" what ever that means

now based on what informtion you guys gave me, the first sensor bank 2 is the one directly in front of the radiator which is the one before the precat? correct?...(Ive seen that one), i think it has a blue wire?

and the 2nd sensor for bank 2 is right after the precat?? correct?
Old 05-27-2007, 05:46 PM

thanks again puppetmaster and sascuderi,

puppetmaster im not sure what code it is..But like i was saying in one of my previous posts, the mechanic only told me the code displayed "TWO WAY Catalyst SYSTEM BANK 2" what ever that means

now based on what informtion you guys gave me, the first sensor bank 2 is the one directly in front of the radiator which is the one before the precat? correct?...(Ive seen that one), i think it has a blue wire?

and the 2nd sensor for bank 2 is right after the precat?? correct?

Yes, I think you got it! The first sensor in Bank 2 is blue and the 2nd sensor (after the precat) in Bank 2 is Red.
Old 05-27-2007, 06:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sascuderi
Yes, I think you got it! The first sensor in Bank 2 is blue and the 2nd sensor (after the precat) in Bank 2 is Red.

HA! ok gotcha! i went and got up under the car to look for the 2nd sensor and saw it, well SLIGHTLY...but at least i know where its at....BASED ON THOSE LOCATIONS I DONT THINK I HAVE THE PATIENCE TO DEAL WITH CHANGING THEM OUT BYMYSELF DUE TO THE LOCATIONS OF THE SENSOR, lol. Now my only problem is actually finding the sensors, i looked at bosch but im not sure.....

Would any one of you be able to direct me to the right sites to purchase those sensors?

ps, thanks sascurderi
Old 05-28-2007, 10:03 AM

I came to the same conclusion that the rear senors are too hard to get at.

What I did is get the 02 sensor locally at NAPA autoparts. This way you can look at it before you buy to make sure its is the correct one (wire will be the same color as the one you are replacing).

Then took it to a local mechanic and asked him to change it. (cost $60.00 to change, but worth it to me)
Old 05-29-2007, 07:07 AM

Trurida18 , let us know the results... a few guys are going thru the same issues...
Old 06-01-2007, 09:10 AM

need advice

i need help with my '00 max. 4 months ago (121000 mil at that time now is 125000) i have the code PO430 "Catalyst Efficency Below Threshold (Bank two)" . i took it to the stealer-ship. the jack-a$$ (service advisor) said, i need to replace the cat (i don't know if that one is called pre-cat but the shape look like ice cone and is located behind the radiator), 2 oxygen sensors (the harness colors are white and red), new MAF + reprogram and perform injector cleaner service, with stealer-ship which is cost me over $2100 not include with stupid tax(8.65) . since then i have no code at all. But yesterday i drove. suddenly it came out SES light. i took to the auto zone and it pulled code PO420 "Catalyst Efficency Below Threshold (Bank One)" . i explained to the autozone guy what i have done to my car . And he recommend me to change the rest of the o2 sensors.

Do you guys have any idea besides replace the rest of o2 sensors?. where is the main cat located and the pre-cat?. where is the BANK ONE and BANK TWO? is that any possible happen to the same cat? 'cause mine have warranty 1 year or 12000 miles. i was thinking to change the rest of the cat which i haven't change at all (consider from my milage and the lousy previous owner). where i can get the original nissan's cat but cheaper than stealer-ship. i don't wanna spend for diagnosis fee, 'cause basicly they gonna tell me the same thing from what i thought. before that, i wanna say thank you
Old 06-01-2007, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by SoulEater
Do you guys have any idea besides replace the rest of o2 sensors?. where is the main cat located and the pre-cat?. where is the BANK ONE and BANK TWO? is that any possible happen to the same cat? 'cause mine have warranty 1 year or 12000 miles. i was thinking to change the rest of the cat which i haven't change at all (consider from my milage and the lousy previous owner). where i can get the original nissan's cat but cheaper than stealer-ship. i don't wanna spend for diagnosis fee, 'cause basicly they gonna tell me the same thing from what i thought. before that, i wanna say thank you
The information on Banks 1 & 2 has been posted in Posts 17, 20, and 21 of this thread. Try changing the secondary (after pre-cat) O2s for Bank 1 first.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:46 PM
You should thank my D***

I have a used oem cat off an 02 max w/ around 39k. Let me know if you want it. PM me if interested.