5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

beat a bmw m3

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2001, 12:13 AM

wow! last night on my way back from seaworld i see a bmw ahead so i stay on it and as i get closer i see the m3 emblem. as i start to pass him he accelerates an now we're on it for about a mile because we are close to the checkpoint right before temecula i get through the ceck point first and go real slow to wait on him he catches up an its on from about 60 mph to 110 i have a nose from 110mph t0 145 i pulled a car then i shut it down i didnt think it was possible for me to beat one, damn it felt good.

travis

zero tolerance
Old 07-14-2001, 12:47 AM

Originally posted by flipmode_cali
wow! last night on my way back from seaworld i see a bmw ahead so i stay on it and as i get closer i see the m3 emblem. as i start to pass him he accelerates an now we're on it for about a mile because we are close to the checkpoint right before temecula i get through the ceck point first and go real slow to wait on him he catches up an its on from about 60 mph to 110 i have a nose from 110mph t0 145 i pulled a car then i shut it down i didnt think it was possible for me to beat one, damn it felt good.

travis

zero tolerance
First of all, congrats. Nice one. However, I have to wonder what was wrong with the M3 because there's practically no way a Max can beat one no matter modded up we are. And you've got 18s too. Hmmm...
Old 07-14-2001, 01:11 AM

Originally posted by mbcp_tdogg

First of all, congrats. Nice one. However, I have to wonder what was wrong with the M3 because there's practically no way a Max can beat one no matter modded up we are. And you've got 18s too. Hmmm...
thats what i thought i know those cars are fast but i have heard of a couple other maximas on these forum that have beatin one also. maybe they arent as fast as we think
Old 07-14-2001, 01:47 AM

i'm thinking it was probably a rebadged 328 or something...m3's run low 5's 0-60 in high 13s 1/4 mile (the older m3)...the only max's that can keep up w/ them are either on nos, a s/c, or a turbo...n/a max's can't come close in my opinion...are you sure it was a real m3? i've seen some around here w/ m3 badging and even the side badges but other parts aren't m3 parts
Old 07-14-2001, 02:16 AM
PhatGuy

I believe him. It obviously wasn't the brand new m3 but his car could hang with the older gen M3 no prob. This is real world not magazine world. His car is over 250HP and obviously has da nads and knows how to drive it. I think giving the 240HP M3 low 5's and high 13's takes a good driver. Now take an ok (possible auto as well) m3 driver and an excellent Max driver (modded as well) you have a good race!

I've seen pics of Zero Tolerance from Stillen Max day! One of my fav Max out there...NICE!

Old 07-14-2001, 05:26 AM

Its probably a rebadged 3 series. Good kill though... me doesn't deserve the M3 badge. You should put it on your car!

My friend has got a 1997 M3... its fast and agile. That one time I rode with him, he was doing 130 in heavy traffic. Topping off at 150-160 on open road. It is definately a car that demands respect.
Old 07-14-2001, 07:29 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Rebadged or M3 driver did not know how to downshift. A '98 M3 is only a tenth of a second different from the '98 Cobra and the Cobra is 305 hp so the HP # does not mean sh*t. The M3 is fast.
Old 07-14-2001, 09:05 AM

I believe it....everyone goes on what they see in Magazines...it's BS. I ran an M roadster which is lighter than an M3 with the same engine from 80-130...and he was a carlength behind when we started and didn't catch up at all by 130. Quater mile times don't tell anything about what a NORMAL car will do above 100 mph. Don't try to give me the crap about the guy not knowing how to drive either....I've heard it WAY to many times from WAY to many people. On the street, anything can happen.
Old 07-14-2001, 11:10 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
I've heard it WAY to many times from WAY to many people. On the street, anything can happen.
Agreed...
Old 07-14-2001, 11:11 AM
PhatGuy

I hear ya! It is the street not magazine world. A lot of variables involved.....having the ***** to run well up to and over 120 WOT is one of them.

M3 is one of my favorite cars. I just think the older ones need to be tuned for more power....especially the north american spec.

I believe it....everyone goes on what they see in Magazines...it's BS. I ran an M roadster which is lighter than an M3 with the same engine from 80-130...and he was a carlength behind when we started and didn't catch up at all by 130. Quater mile times don't tell anything about what a NORMAL car will do above 100 mph. Don't try to give me the crap about the guy not knowing how to drive either....I've heard it WAY to many times from WAY to many people. On the street, anything can happen.

Old 07-14-2001, 11:27 AM

I once downloaded an amatuer video from honda-acura.net GS-R forum. The video was simply amazing. A 96 Integra GS-R with supercharger, header, intake, exhaust, ignition, cams and running 7psi beat a supercharged M3. They both ended at 140+mph and the Integra won by 2 car lenghts.
Old 07-14-2001, 02:30 PM

travis

zero tolerance
Man, your Max gets to 145, YOU BAD!
Old 07-14-2001, 03:42 PM

Don't try to give me the crap about the guy not knowing how to drive either....
If the guy was not driving like $hit then why was he going so slow?

Sure anything can happen on the street, and I am not saying Travis didn't beat the guy....I am just saying I would not be very excited about beating a poorly driven (we think) M3.

I don't want to get started about the Mags.

I have experience with both the '98 Cobra and '98 M3 and can comment on my personal experience with both and would say a properly driven M3 would beat the $hit out of a Maxima...hands f*ckin down!

Mark
Old 07-14-2001, 03:49 PM
PhatGuy

This is real world not professonal driver/magazine world. Driver means a lot otherwise there would be no point in racing if one car is faster on paper. "Oh your car is supposed to beat mine on paper so there is no point in racing...you win!" ???

He beat an M3 why is that so hard to believe? Maybe he isn't "supposed" to beat an M3 but yet he did! 145mph is fast for any car and obviously the guy was racing since he was close to the Max at that speed! They shut down when the Max was ahead..I think the M3 had more juice to go faster but he didn't.

Originally posted by Maximam

If the guy was not driving like $hit then why was he going so slow?

Sure anything can happen on the street, and I am not saying Travis didn't beat the guy....I am just saying I would not be very excited about beating a poorly driven (we think) M3.

I don't want to get started about the Mags.

I have experience with both the '98 Cobra and '98 M3 and can comment on my personal experience with both and would say a properly driven M3 would beat the $hit out of a Maxima...hands f*ckin down!

Mark

Old 07-14-2001, 05:33 PM
RussMaxManiac

Very believeable with your mods. I was stock and ran a stock m3 and a modded, modded only got me by 1 1/2 cars, the stock one off the line got me by 1 car. I was on his tail over 100 from 0 and he could not lose me..

travis

zero tolerance

Old 07-14-2001, 05:34 PM
RussMaxManiac

No, they are not that much faster than us rolling. There only advantage is traction.

Originally posted by mbcp_tdogg

Old 07-14-2001, 06:00 PM

Originally posted by RussMaxManiac
I was on his tail over 100 from 0 and he could not lose me..

Does that mean you were drafting him? If so that is how I kept up with a 3000 gt vr-4 from 80-125mph.
Old 07-14-2001, 06:14 PM
RussMaxManiac

I was in the lane next to him...not drafting him.

Does that mean you were drafting him? If so that is how I kept up with a 3000 gt vr-4 from 80-125mph.

Old 07-14-2001, 06:26 PM
PhatGuy

CAI/Y-Pipe CAI/Y-Pipe CAI/Y-Pipe CAI/Y-Pipe CAI/Y-Pipe

Russ throw on a Y-pipe and wooooweee it makes a significant difference in 3rd-5th gear for sure. My 4th gear is very strong and 5th I haven't really tested. If he wasn't pulling on you then having the Y probably would have allowed you to pull even. 5spd max with Y-pipe/cai is a contender for sure against a stock older style north american spec M3. Anyone who really doubts these stories probably does not drive a 2k+ 5spd Max with the mods Zero Tol has on now. I believe kev mentioned a while back he ran with a few m3 before his SC and he is auto...as far as he said they didn't pull on him much. I wonder how having 3.25 Tattoo would do against a M3? "Boss da Max, da Max"

Originally posted by RussMaxManiac
I was in the lane next to him...not drafting him.

Old 07-14-2001, 07:14 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: CAI/Y-Pipe CAI/Y-Pipe CAI/Y-Pipe CAI/Y-Pipe CAI/Y-Pipe

Originally posted by PhatGuy
I believe kev mentioned a while back he ran with a few m3 before his SC and he is auto...as far as he said they didn't pull on him much. I wonder how having 3.25 Tattoo would do against a M3? "Boss da Max, da Max"
Yup, I was VERY surprised when I actually kept up with him. I thought he was going to blow me away (I ran a Dinan M3 and got wasted ), but I kept up with him all the way up to 110 (started from 50) until we hit traffic.

With the 3.25 Tattoo... I want a rematch with the Dinan version.
Old 07-14-2001, 09:06 PM
MajesticMax

Just think, there are some M3 owners driving around thinking, maybe the MAX can keep up with / beat me? What an awesome thought, if your a MAX owner...

Old 07-14-2001, 11:22 PM

WHAT????

Ok, given that i have an AUTO, maybe its just me, but just for fun i went up against my friend's 99 M3. To be nice, he gave me a nice hop off the line to make up a litte for the AUTO/Stick difference (about a second)...he walked me like nobody's business, it was like my car wasn't even moving, those are 2 door sports cars. I have a hard time believing that any maxima not supercharged or using NOS would have NO chance at all against one of these (the 95-99's) assuming the M3 driver has some clue what he's doing.
Old 07-14-2001, 11:49 PM

Re: WHAT????

A M3 5 speed will beat a Maxima 5 speed. How many of you guys have actually driven an M3? It wont pull that much, but it will beat us. Dont mess with them in th turns though because they will outhandle us with ease.
Old 07-15-2001, 12:15 AM

Re: Re: WHAT????

Originally posted by MAX2000JP
A M3 5 speed will beat a Maxima 5 speed. How many of you guys have actually driven an M3? It wont pull that much, but it will beat us. Dont mess with them in th turns though because they will outhandle us with ease.
it was not a new m3 for sure but it was one not a badged 328i or something. it was a good race no traffic at all they were on it hard and far as them not being able to drive there is not a whole lot of skill after the take off and on this day we where already going
Old 07-15-2001, 08:21 AM
PhatGuy

Um you say NO chance? I guess you didn't read his post? You should run a 2K+ 5spd with intake and Y-pipe before you assume. I've driven a few M3 and they are amazing cars for sure. They are better off the line, handle better, and have a higher top speed BUT the Max (5spd with mods in question) can easily hang with one from 30mph-130+mph. Funny thing is as well we are 4 doors and much bigger...a lot of older style M3 owners will be modding for sure. I have the exact same mods as Flip and trust me our 3rd and 4th gears are crazy!

Originally posted by A-Ron Max
Ok, given that i have an AUTO, maybe its just me, but just for fun i went up against my friend's 99 M3. To be nice, he gave me a nice hop off the line to make up a litte for the AUTO/Stick difference (about a second)...he walked me like nobody's business, it was like my car wasn't even moving, those are 2 door sports cars. I have a hard time believing that any maxima not supercharged or using NOS would have NO chance at all against one of these (the 95-99's) assuming the M3 driver has some clue what he's doing.

Old 07-15-2001, 09:53 AM

I'm sure he's telling the truth.

Last year, madmax2k and I were at the track and he ran a stock M3. At the end of the 1/4 they were almost dead-even with neither able to pull on the other. That was with y and CAI.
Old 07-15-2001, 12:02 PM

Originally posted by A-Ron Max
I agree 100%

Who ever is beating these M3s (late '90s) must be top ending them because of the speed limiter the M3 has at just under 140 . Unless these Maximas are running under 14 in the quarter and to 60 around 5.5 (which I doubt) the drivers of the M3s are not driving there cars to the fullest potential. I am not saying you guys are not beating the M3s, just saying they are not properly driven. How can we compare a Maxima even with an intake and Y-pipe to a M3????? You got me? The M3 is 150 lbs lighter, and putting typically 210-215 hp to the ground!

No flames intended...I just feel we are standing up for our Maximas a little too much on this one.

SCd Max I'll believe it....intake and exhaust? nope.

Again not saying you guys did not beat these M3s (if they were real M3s) just saying given the same driver the M3 will walk the sh*t out of a mild Maxima.

Mark
Old 07-15-2001, 12:19 PM

Originally posted by MAX2000JP
Not on wet pavement though. My friend will not turn his M3 on wet pavement like me and my max. He knows his rear will fly out if he takes it too hard.

Sometimes FWD is a good thing. :
Old 07-15-2001, 01:06 PM
PhatGuy

Your talking about 0-60 and 1/4mile magazine professional driver times. The race from what I understand was not a 1/4 dead stop race but a rolling start race. So 0-60 and 1/4 MAGAZINE times mean jack most of which is the start. It was said before and will be said again the M3 biggest benefit to those 0-60 and 1/4 times is the inital hook up. Is your car 5pd by any chance? Have you driven a 2k+ Max 5spd with Intake and Y-pipe? Don't under estimate it...and I'm not over estimating the Max either. You are totally wrong and no very little about 5spd modded Maxima's if you think a older style stock M3 will "walk the sh*t" out of Max 5spd with intake and y-pipe while on a roll. Guy it is way closer than you think and Maximas have beaten them in the real world! I'm just trying to understand what you don't understand? No flames intended here either but honestly a 2k+ 5spd Max with Y-pipe and intake would walk a stock auto max very bad and even with the same mods the 5spd would walk the modded auto. The 5spd can also hit 140mph+. That is fact! Maybe you doubters have 5spds maybe you don't? I have a feeling you don't let alone the mods in question. A 2k auto max with y-pipe and intake would not be able to take a "stock" 5spd 2K Max with driver such as Flip (he did 14.7 stock!)..might be close but highly doubt it.

I agree 100%

Who ever is beating these M3s (late '90s) must be top ending them because of the speed limiter the M3 has at just under 140 . Unless these Maximas are running under 14 in the quarter and to 60 around 5.5 (which I doubt) the drivers of the M3s are not driving there cars to the fullest potential. I am not saying you guys are not beating the M3s, just saying they are not properly driven. How can we compare a Maxima even with an intake and Y-pipe to a M3????? You got me? The M3 is 150 lbs lighter, and putting typically 210-215 hp to the ground!

No flames intended...I just feel we are standing up for our Maximas a little too much on this one.

SCd Max I'll believe it....intake and exhaust? nope.

Again not saying you guys did not beat these M3s (if they were real M3s) just saying given the same driver the M3 will walk the sh*t out of a mild Maxima.

Mark

Old 07-15-2001, 03:31 PM

Re: Re: Re: WHAT????

Originally posted by PhatGuy
Your talking about 0-60 and 1/4mile magazine professional driver times. The race from what I understand was not a 1/4 dead stop race but a rolling start race. So 0-60 and 1/4 MAGAZINE times mean jack most of which is the start. It was said before and will be said again the M3 biggest benefit to those 0-60 and 1/4 times is the inital hook up. Is your car 5pd by any chance? Have you driven a 2k+ Max 5spd with Intake and Y-pipe? Don't under estimate it...and I'm not over estimating the Max either. You are totally wrong and no very little about 5spd modded Maxima's if you think a older style stock M3 will "walk the sh*t" out of Max 5spd with intake and y-pipe while on a roll. Guy it is way closer than you think and Maximas have beaten them in the real world! I'm just trying to understand what you don't understand? No flames intended here either but honestly a 2k+ 5spd Max with Y-pipe and intake would walk a stock auto max very bad and even with the same mods the 5spd would walk the modded auto. The 5spd can also hit 140mph+. That is fact! Maybe you doubters have 5spds maybe you don't? I have a feeling you don't let alone the mods in question. A 2k auto max with y-pipe and intake would not be able to take a "stock" 5spd 2K Max with driver such as Flip (he did 14.7 stock!)..might be close but highly doubt it.

way to have my back dog, they just dont flat out understand they must be afraid of bmw's or dont know how to drive their cars. PHATGUY you da man thanks

travis
zero tolorence
Old 07-15-2001, 09:01 PM
nc00max

I can see that...

I had the pleasure of driving my mom's '99 M3 for about 4 days not too long ago, and I gotta say, that thing is damned fast. However, I've also driven a 5spd stock max, and while stock for stock the M3 is gonna take the max without a doubt, I'd say a CAI and y-pipe could probably make up the difference at higher speeds. Off the line, no way in hell, but highway speeds, MAYBE. In all honestly though, he probably wasn't too skillful at driving or maybe a smidge hesitant to push his car. Don't care what the specs say, those things pull like crazy in any gear/speed. In any case, it was a street race where nothing matters more than driver skill, so if he couldn't drive, that's just too friggin bad. You beat his $50K european sports car with your $25K family sedan. Good kill!

Now if I could only convince Mommy dearest to hand-me-down that thing...it worked with the Cherokee!

Old 07-15-2001, 09:32 PM
PhatGuy

Re: I can see that...

Maybe the guy was driving an auto M3 as well? Who knows? Driver is very important but fact is Flip's car can also do 145 which most Max cannot especially NA. If you mom handed that M3 down to you auto or not would be sweet!

Originally posted by nc00max
I had the pleasure of driving my mom's '99 M3 for about 4 days not too long ago, and I gotta say, that thing is damned fast. However, I've also driven a 5spd stock max, and while stock for stock the M3 is gonna take the max without a doubt, I'd say a CAI and y-pipe could probably make up the difference at higher speeds. Off the line, no way in hell, but highway speeds, MAYBE. In all honestly though, he probably wasn't too skillful at driving or maybe a smidge hesitant to push his car. Don't care what the specs say, those things pull like crazy in any gear/speed. In any case, it was a street race where nothing matters more than driver skill, so if he couldn't drive, that's just too friggin bad. You beat his $50K european sports car with your $25K family sedan. Good kill!

Now if I could only convince Mommy dearest to hand-me-down that thing...it worked with the Cherokee!

Old 07-16-2001, 06:14 PM

hahah you should have titled it beat a 328i with m3 badging...

i have a friend that ran a 13.9 Quartermile dead Stock in a 95m3 5spd... auto wouldnt be much slower...

i saw this topic and had to get my hip waders out, now if he was playing catchup from a half a mile away i would have believed it... or if you said it was an 88-91 M3 then i too would believe it..... Right im in shock.... its almost like when my friend in a civic with intake went past me on a drive then said he beat me in a race , what a joke.... thanks for the laugh ...
Old 07-16-2001, 10:01 PM
PhatGuy

Mark another one up for an auto 2k+ non believers...

Originally posted by Stillnmax

i have a friend that ran a 13.9 Quartermile dead Stock in a 95m3 5spd... auto wouldnt be much slower...

i saw this topic and had to get my hip waders out, now if he was playing catchup from a half a mile away i would have believed it... or if you said it was an 88-91 M3 then i too would believe it..... Right im in shock.... its almost like when my friend in a civic with intake went past me on a drive then said he beat me in a race , what a joke.... thanks for the laugh ...

Old 07-16-2001, 10:08 PM
PhatGuy

Chalk it up

Mark another one up for auto 2k+ non believers...

For all the non believing, auto driving (non SC/NOS), 2k+ Maxima drivers should take their car to Maxus and run against a 5spd 2k+ y-pipe w/intake and see what the real difference is....if there are any high speed areas go from a roll to 140+ and see how you do? Most of which won't even come close to hitting 140...this ain't flame brothers this is education!

Originally posted by Stillnmax