5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Got SES buggin' me...

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 10:08 PM
Nightmare = Reality

Got SES buggin' me...

I'm throwing 2 codes, and apparently I have one code listed twice...

P0445 - EVAP Canister Purge Volume Control Solenoid Valve Circuit Shorted

&

P1448 - EVAP Canister Vent Control Valve Open

I didn't see any links and doing a search leads to a potential replacement of the Evap unit altogether. The guy at autozone yanking the codes thinks its a faulty gas cap. I really havent had but 1 maybe 2 issues with filling up within the past 2-3 weeks (typically i think it's just the air nozzle on the filler being clogged) and it seems like the cap is sealing correctly. Anyone know what's up? I might see if i can grab a new cap from a local stealership as i dislike the autozone replacement one, but I'm hoping someone can save me a little time and some head scratching.

the light came on this morning while i was doing about 75mph on the highway. . .I originally thought that the 02 sensor near the cat was finally throwing a code because I've been driving with this damn hole in my exhaust for about a month while i was waiting for DHL to figure out that my package should come to EARTH. I've been experiencing a little hesitation from 2600-3400 on mid range acceleration but i was just writing it off as using mid-grade fuel in an autotragic when it's almost 90 deg out. . .

anyway.. . any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 06-01-2007, 12:01 AM

My EVAP code came on under the same circumstances. I wiped off the rubber ring on the gas cap and it went away pretty quickly. An exhaust problem shouldn't throw an EVAP code though unless its the gas cap or a true leak in the EVAP system unless that is what it truly is. Check the connections near the black box at the driver's side rear near the gas tank. If all looks well, and your gas cap is sealed TIGHT, go to autozone and see if the code will clear.

Worst case is that your EVAP system has a problem you can't see. If that is the case, your max shouldn't have performance issues, but it is just an emissions problem that will throw the code and have no effect on the car. I would agree it is just the gas cap and you should just make sure it is sealing properly. Wipe the rubber ring on the cap well and turn it so it clicks 5-6 times and see if that doesn't erase the light. No worries though, the EVAP code should not affect the way the car drives.
Old 06-01-2007, 12:03 AM

BTW mid-grade will mess with your ECU no matter what. An EVAP code shouldn't be the reason for that. But use premium for god's sake!!!
Old 06-01-2007, 06:33 AM
Sexier Than Simpson

All of this should be covered under the 80k emissions warranty...so take it to a dealer.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:25 AM

Evap canister and vent control valve are not covered under that warrantee, just the cats... I checked with my dealer.

I replaced the canister and vent control valve for about $210 and the car is fine now. I bought through everythingnissan.com
Old 06-01-2007, 09:53 PM
Nightmare = Reality

Originally Posted by Bufflomike
All of this should be covered under the 80k emissions warranty...so take it to a dealer.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. . . .you're serious?

I think I hit 80k in 2005? early 06 maybe? I'm currently at 127k
I've blown past even my Nissan GoldCare extended warranty. . .and i got the longest one they offered.

EDIT: okay I managed to get back in my chair... I dropped by 2 dealerships today (BTW, don't ever farking buy parts from Yark Nissan in Toledo, OH. .. wait, you won't) and i picked up a new gas cap. I've driven like 100+mi since i plugged it in and the SES light still glows faint amber. . .I'll reserve judgement til monday but looks like I'm buying a Solenoid. . . anyone know the specific part? I don't wanna drop my pants for the whole unit, just the defective part.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:52 PM
Nightmare = Reality

UPDATE::

My bro who's a dealer tech took a look and cleared the codes when we did an oil change. The light came back just now. I'm pretty sure its the same codes;

P0445 - EVAP Canister Purge Volume Control Solenoid Valve Circuit Shorted
P1448 - EVAP Canister Vent Control Valve Open

Anyone know the specific part I'm replacing?
Old 06-04-2007, 04:00 PM
+Cru OG

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ighlight=p1448

Pretty sure you'll have to replace the Canister and the Valve itself. I got a quote from the dealer for $200+ for both parts, I should do this since the light just came back on today after 3 weeks of it being off after I replaced the gas cap.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:42 PM
Nightmare = Reality

hey, thanks for the find NisMoN00B... for some reason when i did the search function i wasnt able to locate that thread.