5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Went back to stock intake

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 06:39 AM

Went back to stock intake

After having Frankencar intake on for 5 years, i decided to go back to stock last weekend. Primarily of car bogging down when taking off, especially in hot weather. Here are some observations with the stock intake:

There is definetely more torque in the lower RPM range. i can take off a lot smoother without giving it too much gas and it doesn't bog down as it used to.

The loss of torque seems to be minimal when it's warmer outside.

It's quieter

Has anyone else went back to stock? What are your observations?

I'll probably be selling the Frankencar intake, the filter is K&N (it has some broken metal mesh in the couple of spots, but filtering material is intact). PM if interested.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:56 AM

i went back to stock intake/pulley and it seems low end is better, but it just doesnt top end as hard as it used too
especially 4K rpm+
Old 07-06-2007, 08:15 AM

G.A.B. w/ paper filter for hte win...best of both worlds
Old 07-06-2007, 08:40 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

i think on the stock intake the runners are shorter to give you more low end...the aftermarket intake most likely has longer runners taking from low end and helping flow a high rpm.....the stock intake has better drivability in town for sure...
Old 07-06-2007, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by silk80
i think on the stock intake the runners are shorter to give you more low end...the aftermarket intake most likely has longer runners taking from low end and helping flow a high rpm.....the stock intake has better drivability in town for sure...

What you are saying makes sense, however he is only replacing the filter element and short ram.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:29 PM
kramarz99

Stock intake...

After having Frankencar intake on for 5 years, i decided to go back to stock last weekend
This what I will be doing this weekend. Sick and tired of intake. Not sure if that makes sense, but DOES cold air intake wears out tranny quicker ???

Old 07-06-2007, 04:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kramarz99
This what I will be doing this weekend. Sick and tired of intake. Not sure if that makes sense, but DOES cold air intake wears out tranny quicker ???
seriously?
uhh no it doesn't wear out the tranny faster. not in any way shape or form. the whole extra 10hp you might gain from it wouldn't add any noticeable wear unto the tranny.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:03 PM
kramarz99

you might be right. I just ask that, because my tranny runs kind of weird and car is bit slover than it use to be...

Old 07-06-2007, 04:57 PM
Banned

you might be right. I just ask that, because my tranny runs kind of weird and car is bit slover than it use to be...
how is your tranny running weird????
does it slip????
sure it's not your engine????

being a bit slower sounds like driver perception to me...when you drive a car for a while you get 'used' to it's acceleration and speed.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:18 PM
kramarz99

it depends, sometimes it will "jerk" from 1st to 2nd...and other time it will shift smooth. Does MAF or Ignition Coils have anything to do with it?

Old 07-06-2007, 07:50 PM
Banned

it depends, sometimes it will "jerk" from 1st to 2nd...and other time it will shift smooth. Does MAF or Ignition Coils have anything to do with it?
they shouldn't.

a soli going bad in your VB could do that if i'm not mistaken but it's rare.
a busted motor mount isn't likely as it doesn't happen every time...

is this when your driving normally or getting on it?

when you say jerk i assume it seems to hesitate and then slams into 2nd gear?

out of curiosity did you use the drop resistor modification on your car ever?

most tranny shop will diagnose problems for free.
if you really worried start a thread about it/search the org...better then mucking up this thread...

good luck.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:43 PM
Pointy Elbows

I've had my Frankencar on for 4 years. Haven't gone back to stock since. Maybe I'll try it if I'm bored one day.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:51 PM
kramarz99

if you really worried start a thread about it/search the org...better then mucking up this thread...
you are right..

Old 07-07-2007, 04:48 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I've constantly switched back from my GAB setup to stock setup, and finally did it again this summer. With the GAB, Atlanta heat, and AC the car just doesn't want to go esp when I need the pick up. Stock intake FTW during the summer. I think I remember irish modifying a placing racing CAI that he virtually eliminated the "bogging" effect.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:59 PM
kramarz99

finally got ride off cold air intake. took my car for spin and as of right now don`t feel no difference. affraid of stepping on the gas cause tranny shifts hard from 1st to 2nd. anyways, got back from cruz and temp. is higher ever. if you walk around a car you can smell engine, fumes , not sure, but my point is that it is running on higher temperature. is it because ECU needs to adjust ??? is that normall "that weird smell" ???

Old 07-08-2007, 06:42 PM

For what its worth, I've noticed that switching from a K&N filter to AEM's dry filter on my Berk Intake has improved the low end and makes the intake quiet (but still great growl at WOT)
Old 07-08-2007, 08:08 PM

im going to go back to my stock intake as well...I have the JWT popcharger right now and I definitely feel a lag at low-end. It does not help thats its 100 degrees right now and I drive with the AC on also...it feels like Im driving one of those old buicks LOL
Old 07-08-2007, 09:02 PM
Need A Light?

I felt an immediate torque, throttle response gain, when going back to stock intake
Old 07-08-2007, 09:27 PM

I just went back to my stock and I immediately noticed a difference in performance, I had the Injen on there and I was wondering if just sticking the filter directly on the Maf Adapter really helps get some of your low end torque back, trust me I really did try searching and found nothing on it, I have seen a few guys do it but still don't know, I loved the top end with the Injen, the car was so much faster!!! And the sound gave me a hard on, but like everybody else said, I couldn't take much more of the "bogging" effect.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:33 PM

I went back to a stock intake and a dry panel filter. I got sick of blowing MAFs. Noticed a little more low to midrange, and noticed how my MAF has lasted longer than 6 months.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:10 AM
Cletus

i will take the sound over the moderate low end gains any day

my sister is driving my car while im in korea. i put the stock airbox back on before i left. it might feel a little more powerful down low but i missed the sound. my car sounded so sad.

plus, having a 6-speed, the low end power isnt that much of an issue.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:36 AM

using the stock airbox, has anybody ever try to cut a hole at the bottom of the airbox and duct the air from the fog light area? sorta like ram-air if ya know what i mean
Old 07-09-2007, 04:50 AM
Banned

NOT ME, although the bogging effect is kind of annoying. Im running a Berk Intake with an AEM dry filter. Ive had that on for about 7 months...I love the sound and the pickup at about 4k rpm's but the low end torque is INDEED slow as *****
Old 07-09-2007, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by soonerfan
i will take the sound over the moderate low end gains any day
I miss the "gurgle" of the intake between 2500-4000. It does allow me to hear my exhaust now though, and that sounds nice.

I went from Berk to GAB and felt barely any difference in power anywhere in the powerband. My butt dyno must be miscalibrated. Then again, I've only had a 5 mile test run in somewhat heavy traffic this morning.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:16 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

well i know im new dont flame if this has been addressed i couldn't find it
i was trying to order an intake from frankencar but it says i can't chekout the site is unable to recieve moeny or an error liek that, I emailed the company and hav't recieved a reply, do they still exist? i have run into several sites before where they were still up but the company no longer existed so I didn't know if I was running into this again
Old 07-09-2007, 07:16 AM

My experience with CAI (or simply Intakes, as some of them are not trully CAIs):

I had a K&N with a full intake in my Ford Zetec and had also installed the SVT dual exhaust on it. The little beast sounded really NICE.

During cold/normal months, the whole setup was pretty decent in terms of performance. The car as definately breathing much easier.

During the summer, I could definately sense a lot of coughing going on. Pretty annoying.

Now, the thing the really kept me away from intakes/filters on my maxima was the fact that I had lost 2 MAFs on the zetec due to the fact that oil would get in the MAFs and ***** it up. I dont recall reading anything on the Maxima boards about P0720 (IIRC) that is related to MAF readings. Maybe the Maxima MAFs are different and dont get dirty as easily as the Fords. I dunno. But for sure that was a common problem on zetecs with K&N.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by kellogs908
well i know im new dont flame if this has been addressed i couldn't find it
i was trying to order an intake from frankencar but it says i can't chekout the site is unable to recieve moeny or an error liek that, I emailed the company and hav't recieved a reply, do they still exist? i have run into several sites before where they were still up but the company no longer existed so I didn't know if I was running into this again
They aren't in business anymore.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Bborges
I dont recall reading anything on the Maxima boards about P0720 (IIRC) that is related to MAF readings. Maybe the Maxima MAFs are different and dont get dirty as easily as the Fords. I dunno. But for sure that was a common problem on zetecs with K&N.
Most Nissan MAFs die just as easily and most of the time pretty abruptly w/o throwing codes, regardless of intake type (stock or aftermarket).

The only ones that seem to have been pretty good are the 2Y001 for the 2001s (and that can be used with other years) and the AM600 for the 2002-2003s.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:22 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

ok, im sure this has also been said but where can I get an intake from now, Berks site is down, can I just call them up and order one? anyother places I can order from? I used to keep up with all thsi stuff for quite some time, now that I was given a maxima I come back to find out that custom enterprise seems to be gone, berks site is down and frankencar is out of business man a lot has changed
Old 07-09-2007, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by ben805
using the stock airbox, has anybody ever try to cut a hole at the bottom of the airbox and duct the air from the fog light area? sorta like ram-air if ya know what i mean

Actually my cousin WildMax01 is running this set up! Stock air box with K&N filter and cut out bottom of stock air box and ran tubing with K&N cone filter toward the bottom front between fog light and front AE lip. It appears it is sucking air from both the stock inlet and tubing inlet! Seems like it has some gain according to our butt dynos! I currently am running the GAB with K&N drop in, low end slags in the summer of course but seemed fine in the winter months! Sounds very aggressive after 3500 rpm! Love the sound but not the low end loss! Stock intake may just be the best way to go! Nissan obviously set it up like that for a reason! I may be going back to stock for the summer! Good luck!
Old 07-09-2007, 12:01 PM

Approx. 2 weeks ago I had finally decided the whole WAI set-up was way too freaking loud for daily driving.

So as an alternate route, I removed my custom mid-pipe and re-installed only the "Helmholtz" resonator, but kept the filter adapter and cone filter. I definately noticed the low-end torque had returned and the loud "F1-racer" style intake sound was gone.

But now with temps hitting well into the 80's/90's here, I am starting to wonder if the recent drop in performane is because I am sucking in excess heat from the engine bay.

Still working on building some type of intake box/barrier to try to suck in external air and block under hood temps. We'll see.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:42 PM

when you swapped the stock intake back did you unplug the battery to reset the ecu or you just did the swap and started driving?
Old 07-09-2007, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by SLVRMAXX
when you swapped the stock intake back did you unplug the battery to reset the ecu or you just did the swap and started driving?
You don't have to reset the ECU, it'll adjust on its own after a little driving. Also, unplugging the battery on a 2002-2003 doesn't reset the ECU.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:25 PM
--+--

Originally Posted by nismopc
But now with temps hitting well into the 80's/90's here, I am starting to wonder if the recent drop in performane is because I am sucking in excess heat from the engine bay.

Still working on building some type of intake box/barrier to try to suck in external air and block under hood temps. We'll see.
Hey I was wondering about this also. After driving in the afternoon, my midpipe is extremely warm. Would it be a good idea to construct a heat shield that ran along the left side of the battery and then angled along the midpipe towards the TB? I know a lot of intakes for other vehicles have heat shields built in already. Just pondering if this would help or if it would even be worth the hassle of building it.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by 02Maximan
Hey I was wondering about this also. After driving in the afternoon, my midpipe is extremely warm. Would it be a good idea to construct a heat shield that ran along the left side of the battery and then angled along the midpipe towards the TB? I know a lot of intakes for other vehicles have heat shields built in already. Just pondering if this would help or if it would even be worth the hassle of building it.

To keep the heat down, I plan on trying something like this:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=523060

Or even perhaps this:

http://forums.vr-zone.com/showthread.php?t=23189
Old 07-09-2007, 09:55 PM

did anyone make a custom heat shield for the intake?
Old 07-09-2007, 10:34 PM
--+--

http://www.weapon-r.com/english/inde...ndex&cPath=545
Something like this is what I had in mind although I was actually thinking of shielding more than just the filter. Too bad these guys don't make one for our cars.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:05 AM

damnit! I had the popcharger out ready to put the stock one back on and it wouldnt fit b/c when I got the viper 5900, the installers put the horn in such a place where I cant put the stock intake back on...ugh

I could reposition the horn and the wiring but I dont want to take the chance...Im not familiar with that stuff. I guess i'll go back to the shop but watch them charge me even though I spent more than $500 for the system...
Old 07-10-2007, 08:12 AM
kramarz99

can`t you just unscrue the horn, extend the wires and put it in different place?

Old 07-10-2007, 08:15 AM

a lot of drilling required...it may seem simple but its not my area of expertise and I dont want to void the warranty in any way possible...I'd rather play it safe and have them do it...

but it sucks...today is close to 100 degrees and I was really looking forward to getting some low-end back

Quick Reply: Went back to stock intake